Edit History

Yamazaki

Yamazaki

19 minutes ago, Lord Foul said:

No, it doesn't. That's just another excuse. It doesn't happen to me, and I know a lot of other people it doesn't happen to either.

It's not okay. Making out that it is okay just encourages people to do it more.

I honestly doubt that you're that on top of your posting. Nobody is perfect. Nobody can always be on top of everything all of the time.

Furthermore, shaming people for, well, being people who have issues doesn't help the problem either. We all gotta cope with this thing we call life, after all.

I'm not saying we should forgive people all the time for whatever, but there is a difference between cutting a bit of slack for those who needed a bit of extra time to get their head back on straight, or to deal with real life, or whatever the nine hells happened, can make a huge difference in their continued presence in this hobby and medium of play. It encourages them to come back, encourages them to keep trying until they hit that groove, encourages them to find that group that finally clicks and the stars align.

Shame solves nothing. Punishing those who have to deal with whatever will only drive those otherwise reasonably decent players away from a good game or even a good community.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration all too well, and it's a valid feeling. It sucks when a player or even a GM just vanishes off the face of the internet, and the game putters out into non-existence. But it's best for the wellbeing of all, both people and the hobby, to let go of that frustration. Learn from the experiences, no doubt, but not to hold onto grudges or hate. Grieve the loss of the game and move on. Life will go on.

EDIT: it is worth noting that this is a more generalized viewpoint. As for on the stance of one's own games - draw your own line in the sand. If someone ghosts and comes back but you don't want 'em back - that's fine, you have obligation to let them back in. But I still urge all of us not to shame folks for dealing with their lives.

Yamazaki

Yamazaki

11 minutes ago, Lord Foul said:

No, it doesn't. That's just another excuse. It doesn't happen to me, and I know a lot of other people it doesn't happen to either.

It's not okay. Making out that it is okay just encourages people to do it more.

I honestly doubt that you're that on top of your posting. Nobody is perfect. Nobody can always be on top of everything all of the time.

Furthermore, shaming people for, well, being people who have issues doesn't help the problem either. We all gotta cope with this thing we call life, after all.

I'm not saying we should forgive people all the time for whatever, but there is a difference between cutting a bit of slack for those who needed a bit of extra time to get their head back on straight, or to deal with real life, or whatever the nine hells happened, can make a huge difference in their continued presence in this hobby and medium of play. It encourages them to come back, encourages them to keep trying until they hit that groove, encourages them to find that group that finally clicks and the stars align.

Shame solves nothing. Punishing those who have to deal with whatever will only drive those otherwise reasonably decent players away from a good game or even a good community.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration all too well, and it's a valid feeling. It sucks when a player or even a GM just vanishes off the face of the internet, and the game putters out into non-existence. But it's best for the wellbeing of all, both people and the hobby, to let go of that frustration. Learn from the experiences, no doubt, but not to hold onto grudges or hate. Grieve the loss of the game and move on. Life will go on.