Edit History

Wyck.jpg.431ecbcc7a5921b763257074336757be.jpgWyckmere Mirth

Wyck sighed, frustrated. He wasn't telling it right, but he also didn't really have the energy to keep at it. He wanted to blame the marching and the short nights in shared rooms and the sleeping on cold grounds and being spooked by a dragon, but deep down he knew it wasn't all that. At least not wholly because of those reasons, anyways.

"We", He stopped and took stock of the word, "As in D'Artegenon and I. We are meant to witness something. That's what we do. You, or Roland, or Aly, or even Myst...or maybe none of you, or maybe all of you...are significant enough that we were meant to be here to witness it. Sometimes it's not people and it's just a place. Like a little village behind an icewall that gets reduced to ash. Or a Brightswords festival where a little girl hides in a vault. " The words spilled out, but they did so with a heavy dose of fatigue that made them spastic and a bit jumbled. Like he had to physically see the places he was talking about and it wore him out just to envision them. "It may mean nothing to the world at large. Those there might not even know something happened. I'm positive that Lillithanne didn't then and probably doesn't now.

"I've been trying to figure it out. But this trip never felt like it was about a place, so I think I've ruled it out. But figuring it out makes it easier to prepare."

"Know this; nothing I'm telling you right now is changing it. Our piece in all of this is so small that even when we figure it out ahead of time, we can't change things. I think he tried before I was around but it would be too little, too late, or too insignificant. Something would keep him from being able to do it. That's the trade. I had to learn it too, the hard way even sometimes. It can be tough. We're meant to witness others. You. I could tell you the sky will fall and if you were meant to live you could dance in the raining stardust. If you weren't, then you wouldn't. I jus-" He interrupted himself and seemed to finally remember Roland was sitting there with them. The glimmer of light had all but faded in his eyes, until he turned to Roland and his expression was one of a sailor throwing a rope overboard to the flailing swimmers below. "I told you a few days ago that people don't die around D'Artegenon unless he means for them to be dead. It's true. Honestly, most of the time, if someone is meant to die, they're already dead when we get there or well on their way. I've witnessed more people live on long odds than ever die on short ones. When we first met, there was a moment when I thought hearing your story of escape was all there was to this one. It would have been strange, since we'd not been told the witness before, but it was possible. D'Artegenon didn't think so, and we kept the company. In came the two ladies on the word of one of D'Artegenon's old connections and..."

Wyck shrugged, exhausted but with less weight on his shoulders. "A dragon. Assassins. A mountaintop shrine. Maybe a trip to the Underdark? It's all so...noisy. There's been noisy ones -I guess- but not that noisy. That's why we witness them. Because no one else will." Finished, Wyck fell silent. Defeated, but relieved.

Wyck sighed, frustrated. He wasn't telling it right, but he also didn't really have the energy to keep at it. He wanted to blame the marching and the short nights in shared rooms and the sleeping on cold grounds and being spooked by a dragon, but deep down he knew it wasn't all that. At least not wholly because of those reasons, anyways.

"We", He stopped and took stock of the word, "As in D'Artegenon and I. We are meant to witness something. That's what we do. You, or Roland, or Aly, or even Myst...or maybe none of you, or maybe all of you...are significant enough that we were meant to be here to witness it. Sometimes it's not people and it's just a place. Like a little village behind an icewall that gets reduced to ash. Or a Brightswords festival where a little girl hides in a vault. " The words spilled out, but they did so with a heavy dose of fatigue that made them spastic and a bit jumbled. Like he had to physically see the places he was talking about and it wore him out just to envision them. "It may mean nothing to the world at large. Those there might not even know something happened. I'm positive that Lillithanne didn't then and probably doesn't now.

"I've been trying to figure it out. But this trip never felt like it was about a place, so I think I've ruled it out. But figuring it out makes it easier to prepare."

"Know this; nothing I'm telling you right now is changing it. Our piece in all of this is so small that even when we figure it out ahead of time, we can't change things. I think he tried before I was around but it would be too little, too late, or too insignificant. Something would keep him from being able to do it. That's the trade. I had to learn it too, the hard way even sometimes. It can be tough. We're meant to witness others. You. I could tell you the sky will fall and if you were meant to live you could dance in the raining stardust. If you weren't, then you wouldn't. I jus-" He interrupted himself and seemed to finally remember Roland was sitting there with them. The glimmer of light had all but faded in his eyes, until he turned to Roland and his expression was one of a sailor throwing a rope overboard to the flailing swimmers below. "I told you a few days ago that people don't die around D'Artegenon unless he means for them to be dead. It's true. Honestly, most of the time, if someone is meant to die, they're already dead when we get there or well on their way. I've witnessed more people live on long odds than ever die on short ones. When we first met, there was a moment when I thought hearing your story of escape was all there was to this one. It would have been strange, since we'd not been told the witness before, but it was possible. D'Artegenon didn't think so, and we kept the company. Add in came the two ladies on the word of one of D'Artegenon's old connections and..."

Wyck shrugged, exhausted but with less weight on his shoulders. "A dragon. Assassins. A mountaintop shrine. Maybe a trip to the Underdark? It's all so...noisy. There's been noisy ones -I guess- but not that noisy. That's why we witness them. Because no one else will." Finished, Wyck fell silent. Defeated, but relieved.

"Know this; nothing I'm telling you right now is changing it. Our piece in all of this is so small that even when we figure it out ahead of time, we can't change things. I think he tried before I was around but it would be too little, too late, or too insignificant. Something would keep him from being able to do it. That's the trade. I had to learn it too, the hard way even sometimes. It can be tough. We're meant to witness others. You. I could tell you the sky will fall and if you were meant to live you could dance in the raining stardust. If you weren't, then you wouldn't. I jus-" He interrupted himself and seemed to finally remember Roland was sitting there with them. The glimmer of light had all but faded in his eyes, until he turned to Roland and his expression was one of a sailor throwing a rope overboard to the flailing swimmers below. "I told you a few days ago that people don't die around D'Artegenon unless he means for them to be dead. It's true. Honestly, most of the time, if someone is meant to die, they're already dead when we get there or well on their way. I've witnessed more people live on long odds than ever die on short ones. When we first met, there was a moment when I thought hearing your story of escape was all there was to this one. It would have been strange, since we'd not been told the witness before, but it was possible. D'Artegenon didn't think so, and we kept the company. Add in the two ladies on the word of one of D'Artegenon's old connections and..."

"Know this; nothing I'm telling you right now is changing it. Our piece in all of this is so small that even when we figure it out ahead of time, we can't change things. I think he tried before I was around but it would be too little, too late, or too insignificant. Something would keep him from being able to do it. That's the trade. We're meant to witness others. You. I could tell you the sky will fall and if you were meant to live you could dance in the raining stardust. If you weren't, then you wouldn't. I jus-" He interrupted himself and seemed to finally remember Roland was sitting there with them. The glimmer of light had all but faded in his eyes, until he turned to Roland and his expression was one of a sailor throwing a rope overboard to the flailing swimmers below. "I told you a few days ago that people don't die around D'Artegenon unless he means for them to be dead. It's true. Honestly, most of the time, if someone is meant to die, they're already dead when we get there or well on their way. I've witnessed more people live on long odds than ever die on short ones. When we first met, there was a moment when I thought hearing your story of escape was all there was to this one. It would have been strange, since we'd not been told the witness before, but it was possible. D'Artegenon didn't think so, and we kept the company. Add in the two ladies on the word of one of D'Artegenon's old connections and..."