Elspeth Allanach, Rift of Ishtar

Oceane

MorganOrElspeth.png.ff805dfbe30bbfafb536a912ce3aab92.png

ELSPETH "SETH" ALLANACH

ISHTAR, THE QUEEN OF HEAVEN

Name: Elspeth Allanach
Nicknames: Seth, El, Speth; Elsie from closer people
Gender: They/She; generally ambivalent gender presentation, and no actual assertion or correction regarding her gender

Height: 5'9" (175cm)
Build: Slim and sharp, androgynous.
Demeanor: Cool & collected—detached & elsewhere. Intense.

Logos concept: Lifelong gangster pleaded guilty to remain by their soulmate, but she took her life in prison, and everything has lost meaning ever since
Mythos concept: The power and the drive to have anything and anyone, and to change the world
Core conflict: Identity, self-esteem and willpower in the wake of loss

Logos

Logos

A description of your character's mundane persona, including their occupation (if any), demeanor, appearance, and personality.

You can develop your concept by speculating about:
(1) Why did this Mythos manifest through your character?
(2) What is your character's Secret Pain?

Mythos

Mythos

A name and description of the legend awakened within your character. It can be a person, being, item, prophecy, or location from any story, mythology, legend, folklore, fairytale, literary work, urban legend, religious tale, concept, or real-world event.

Theme Cards

Adaptation
Blatant Thievery

Mystery:Every Mythos theme has a question, called a Mystery, which defines what your character wishes to discover about their Mythos. What will I steal that I'll want to keep forever?

Absorbing other people's powers, conquering their domains—a personification of religious syncretism.

This allows Seth to copy other Rifts' powers, just like Ishtar conquered other gods' domains.

Attention: {_} {_} {_}
Fade:When your character's Mystery calls to them, but they ignore it, mark one Fade.

If your character continues to ignore their Mythos and marks the third Fade box, you replace the theme with a new Logos theme.
{_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGSWhen you take action using one of the Core Moves, each power tag you have (and that is relevant to your action) adds one point of Power to your move.

This improves your chances of succeeding and increases the effectiveness of your action.

Each theme starts with 3 power tags.
You must answer the first power tag question in your Themebook. Then answer two more of your choice.

For each theme, you can only have one broad power tag. A broad power tag is one that would be useful in many different situations.

Power Tag Questions
Answer the first question (A) from your chosen Themebook, and then choose two more questions from the following list to answer. Your answer should be a short description no more than a few words long. Each answer becomes a power tag.

A) What mythos power allows you to respond differently to every situation?

- stolen powers 

G) What attitude or emotion lies at the core of your adaptive powers?

- never feel powerless again 

D) What circumstances enhance your ability to adapt?

- carrying mementos 

WEAKNESS TAGSWeakness Tags depower your moves but earn you Attention. They always describe something limiting (ask yourself: what actions would this weakness tag impede?).

Each theme starts with 1 weakness tag. You can answer any weakness tag question in your Themebook.

Extra tags! In one theme of your choice, you may add one additional power tag and one additional weakness tag.

D) What bad habits did you pick up due to your adaptive power?

- my targets' personality 

Expression
Seize the Spotlight

Mystery:Every Mythos theme has a question, called a Mystery, which defines what your character wishes to discover about their Mythos. How far will I go to get what I want?

Be the North Star, the guiding light in the sky, take the Sun's place. Boundless ambition to change the world.

This allows Seth to influence the world by their simple presence, skewing reality to fit their needs—or they Mythos's, as it stands.

Fade:When your character's Mystery calls to them, but they ignore it, mark one Fade.

If your character continues to ignore their Mythos and marks the third Fade box, you replace the theme with a new Logos theme.
{_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGSWhen you take action using one of the Core Moves, each power tag you have (and that is relevant to your action) adds one point of Power to your move.

This improves your chances of succeeding and increases the effectiveness of your action.

You must answer the first power tag question in your Themebook. Then answer two more of your choice.

For each theme, you can only have one broad power tag. A broad power tag is one that would be useful in many different situations.

Power Tag Questions
Answer the first question (A) from your chosen Themebook, and then choose two more questions from the following list to answer. Your answer should be a short description no more than a few words long. Each answer becomes a power tag.

A) What is the most common way you use your Mythos to affect the world?

- reality-warping 

C) What useful quality does your main effect have?

- "There's always been a door here." 

F) What special variants or specific uses of your Mythos's main form of expression have you mastered?

- irresistible charm 

I) What attitude do you adopt when expressing your Mythos?

- unshakable confidence 

WEAKNESS TAGSWeakness Tags depower your moves but earn you Attention. They always describe something limiting (ask yourself: what actions would this weakness tag impede?).

Each theme starts with 1 weakness tag. You can answer any weakness tag question in your Themebook.

Extra tags! In one theme of your choice, you may add one additional power tag and one additional weakness tag.

C) What happens when you lose control over your Mythos's expression?

- demands obedience from all 

D) What are the repercussions of bringing your Mythos into the world?

- signature pattern left behind 
(eight-pointed stars)

Training
Born To Drive

Identity:Every Logos theme has a statement, called an Identity, which describes some aspect of your character that they believe about themselves. Even reality can't catch up when I'm behind a wheel.

Even though the sky might crash around you, you can always rely on instincts. Grasping at her skills to ground herself in a world now too unfamiliar.

This showcases Seth's driving skills, learned from a young age and plied through being the wheelman of her criminal endeavors.

Crack:You mark Crack when your character's Identity demands something of them, but they fail to deliver.

If your character continues to ignore their Identity and marks the third Crack box, you replace the theme with a new Mythos theme instead.
{_} {_} {_}

Power Tag Questions

A) What do you do, or know, best?

- drive

E) What quality or trait did your training foster?

- nerves of steel

G) What piece of equipment related to your training do you normally have access to?

- fast, discreet car

C) Who is after you due to your prominence in the field?

- extensive rap sheet

Struggle
Deafening Silence

Identity:Every Logos theme has a statement, called an Identity, which describes some aspect of your character that they believe about themselves. Without you, only noise is left.

All the sacrifices only left Elspeth with ashes on the back of her tongue. Her lover is gone, and the world went with them. Nothing truly matters anymore, her chance at happiness being long since buried.

This showcases Seth's fight with grief, her stoicism and detachment from life, which is constantly challenged by the sheer liveliness of her Mythos.

Crack:You mark Crack when your character's Identity demands something of them, but they fail to deliver.

If your character continues to ignore their Identity and marks the third Crack box, you replace the theme with a new Mythos theme instead.
{_} {_} {_}

Power Tag Questions

A) Power tag 1 (your answer)

- ?

E) Who is in your support network?

- I can always count on my family

X) Power tag 3 (your answer)

- ?

X) Weakness tag 1 (your answer)

- ?

Crew

Crew

A list of your crew members, and the Hurt and Help points you have for each.

Name Help Hurt
Rift - -
Rift - -
Rift - -
Rift - -

Story Tags & Nemeses

Story Tags

A space for other permanent tags you might acquire during the game.

Nemeses

A list of the Nemeses you gained by replacing themes.

Character Progression

Development

A track of your overall character growth. When it's full, you reset it and choose a Moment of Evolution.

{_} {_} {_} {_} {_}

Moments of Evolution to choose from:

{_} Choose another broad power tag
{_} Gain an extra theme: Ally
{_} Gain an extra theme: Base of Operations
{_} Gain an extra theme: Ride
{_} Get closure from your Nemeses
{_} Go through a transformation
{_} Leave the City
{_} Make one Core Move permanently Dynamite!
{_} See through the Mist

Edited by Oceane (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi @Oceane, Elspeth looks interesting! Since it's been a while, I'm just checking in to see if you're still interested in playing in this campaign. If so, let me know if I can help you finish the last theme card.

I also wanted to say that I see a potential issue with the power tags in Seize the Spotlight and Blatant Thievery being too broad. Typically each character is only permitted one broad power tag, because these are less specific to a character/situation, less colourful, more generally useful, and potentially overpowered. For example, "reality-warping", "irresistible charm", and "stolen powers" are extremely broadly useful, so I would ask you to pick one to keep as your broad tag, and then limit the others.

There are two ways to make the tags more specific. The first is just to add more words to the tag, so that it only applies in certain situations.

The other is to agree in advance that using the tag requires a Change the Game move, a Core Move that is used to create new tags. For example, when using stolen powers to copy another's powers, the player cannot add the tag directly to Elspeth's moves. Instead, I'll ask you to first make a Change the Game move (presumably to figure out/understand these powers in some depth before she can use them) to create the temporary tag "stolen power" and use it to power her other moves.

Let me know what you think!