dalamb

Sigrid, the sniper

Sigrid Arnesen

Freyja

Name: Sigrid Arnesen, codename "Archer" on SWAT operations
Nicknames: "Sid" to friends

Height: 5'11"
Build: Sigrid is tall and wiry
Demeanor: On the job, Sigrid is serious and attentive. Off the job, she is open and friendly.

c2234225-1829-40cb-b9de-d2c6d70193fe   freyja-goddess-of-beauty.jpg?v=1690908134
Logos concept: Sigrid is a SWAT officer in the local police. Mythos concept: Sigrid embodies several aspects of the Norse goddess Freyja

Logos

Logos

A description of your character's mundane persona, including their occupation (if any), demeanor, appearance, and personality.

You can develop your concept by speculating about:
(1) Why did this Mythos manifest through your character?
(2) What is your character's Secret Pain?

Mythos

Mythos

Sigrid is a Rift of Freyja, Norse goddess of love and magic, but also the chief of the Valkyries.

Theme Cards

Mythos Theme
Seidhr

Mystery:Every Mythos theme has a question, called a Mystery, which defines what your character wishes to discover about their Mythos. How much of one's fate should one know?

Seidhr is a form of magic associated with fate, both forseeing it and intervening to shape it.

Attention: {_} {_} {_}
Fade:When your character's Mystery calls to them, but they ignore it, mark one Fade.

If your character continues to ignore their Mythos and marks the third Fade box, you replace the theme with a new Logos theme.
{_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGSWhen you take action using one of the Core Moves, each power tag you have (and that is relevant to your action) adds one point of Power to your move.

This improves your chances of succeeding and increases the effectiveness of your action.

Each theme starts with 3 power tags.
You must answer the first power tag question in your Themebook. Then answer two more of your choice.

For each theme, you can only have one broad power tag. A broad power tag is one that would be useful in many different situations.

Power Tag Questions
Answer the first question (A) from your chosen Themebook, and then choose two more questions from the following list to answer. Your answer should be a short description no more than a few words long. Each answer becomes a power tag.

A) Precognition - glimpses of the near future
X) Intervention - weaving minor changes into reality compatible with what she has seen.
X) Power tag 3 (your answer)

WEAKNESS TAGSWeakness Tags depower your moves but earn you Attention. They always describe something limiting (ask yourself: what actions would this weakness tag impede?).

Each theme starts with 1 weakness tag. You can answer any weakness tag question in your Themebook.

Extra tags! In one theme of your choice, you may add one additional power tag and one additional weakness tag.

X) Unable to change what she has clearly seen.

Mythos Theme
Valkyrie

Mystery:Every Mythos theme has a question, called a Mystery, which defines what your character wishes to discover about their Mythos. When is death the right path?

Freyja was the chief valkyrie, who were associated with battle, flight, and intervening with the dying.

Fade:When your character's Mystery calls to them, but they ignore it, mark one Fade.

If your character continues to ignore their Mythos and marks the third Fade box, you replace the theme with a new Logos theme.
{_} {_} {_}

POWER TAGSWhen you take action using one of the Core Moves, each power tag you have (and that is relevant to your action) adds one point of Power to your move.

This improves your chances of succeeding and increases the effectiveness of your action.

You must answer the first power tag question in your Themebook. Then answer two more of your choice.

For each theme, you can only have one broad power tag. A broad power tag is one that would be useful in many different situations.

Power Tag Questions
Answer the first question (A) from your chosen Themebook, and then choose two more questions from the following list to answer. Your answer should be a short description no more than a few words long. Each answer becomes a power tag.

A) Superhuman strength
X) Flight
X) Help the dying

WEAKNESS TAGSWeakness Tags depower your moves but earn you Attention. They always describe something limiting (ask yourself: what actions would this weakness tag impede?).

Each theme starts with 1 weakness tag. You can answer any weakness tag question in your Themebook.

Extra tags! In one theme of your choice, you may add one additional power tag and one additional weakness tag.

X) Weakness tag 1 (your answer)

Mythos Theme
Beauty

Mystery:Every Mythos theme has a question, called a Mystery, which defines what your character wishes to discover about their Mythos. When is it right to pressure someone against their fundamental nature?

Freyja was a goddess of beauty, and skilled at negotiation and reconciliation.

{_} {_} {_}

Power Tag Questions

A) Discern motivations.
X) Cause fascination
X) Influence decisions

X) Unwanted attention.

Logos Theme
Sniper

Identity:Every Logos theme has a statement, called an Identity, which describes some aspect of your character that they believe about themselves. How can I live with being a killer?

Sigrid is the "solution of last resort" in an armed confrontation: the sniper who can take out the bad guys when all else fails.

Crack:You mark Crack when your character's Identity demands something of them, but they fail to deliver.

If your character continues to ignore their Identity and marks the third Crack box, you replace the theme with a new Mythos theme instead.
{_} {_} {_}

Power Tag Questions

A) Weapons expertise
X) Body armour
X) Police powers

X) Hostility to (and fear of) police, especially SWAT, among parts of the population.

Crew

Crew

A list of your crew members, and the Hurt and Help points you have for each.

Name Help Hurt
Rift - -
Rift - -
Rift - -
Rift - -

Story Tags & Nemeses

Story Tags

A space for other permanent tags you might acquire during the game.

Nemeses

A list of the Nemeses you gained by replacing themes.

Character Progression

Development

A track of your overall character growth. When it's full, you reset it and choose a Moment of Evolution.

{_} {_} {_} {_} {_}

Moments of Evolution to choose from:

{_} Choose another broad power tag
{_} Gain an extra theme: Ally
{_} Gain an extra theme: Base of Operations
{_} Gain an extra theme: Ride
{_} Get closure from your Nemeses
{_} Go through a transformation
{_} Leave the City
{_} Make one Core Move permanently Dynamite!
{_} See through the Mist

Questions and Answers

1. Place of interest: Precinct 12, the home base of Sigrid's SWAT team. It is larger than most, since not all precincts have SWAT, but otherwise has areas one would expect, including a public-facing lobby, a squad room and officers' rooms, interrogation/interview rooms, lunchroom, gym, and shooting range.
  2. Local contact: TBD
  3. Where to relax: Murphy's, a "cop bar" near the precinct.
  4. Abundance: There are more cultural activities per capita than in almost all other cities.
  5. Lack: There are "food deserts" and low access to infrastructure in areas where poorer people live.
  6. Sigrid's fear: Crime is increasing, for reasons that aren't entirely clear.
  7. Rumour: Two rival street gangs are gearing up for "war."

I have struggled for several days with figuring out what themes and power tags to use, and am very unclear whether any of them are appropriate for this game; it has been a long time since I created a PbtA or City of Mists character. I would greatly appreciate opinions from anyone on the first post.

I can work on the logos parts of post 2 on my own, the mythos parts await more clarity on post 1, and I think post 3 might be finished.

To start, it would help if you noted down what each theme card actually is. Adaptation, Expression, Subversion, etc. It's hard to tell as is, especially since we don't have the questions themselves to cross-reference.

I didn't realize the cards had to stick to the standard themes; I didn't pick that up from the pre-generated character cards. I'll try again, but I think I'm having enough trouble I probably won't make the deadline.

The Mythos concept, Seihdr, sounds like it could work as Divination or Expression. For example, this description:

There were seiðr rituals for divination and clairvoyance; for seeking out the hidden, both in the secrets of the mind and in physical locations; for healing the sick; for bringing good luck; for controlling the weather;

...suggests Divination would be a good fit. Any Mythos concerned with discerning the workings of fate falls within the purview of Divination; but the idea of "working within [Fate's] structure to bring about change, [done] by symbolically weaving new events into being" feels very much like it could be aligned with the theme of Expression.

One question you could ask yourself to flesh out this concept could be: Why did Freyja choose her?

Valkyrie I think you could take in a couple directions, battle powress certainly seems to be a good fit with Expression where as flight would be a good Mobility. Intervening with the dying I think you could take in either direction.

Beauty may fit best with Subversion on it's own, or if you needed to split the flight part of Valkyrie off into its own Mythos you could probably fit beauty into Expression.

Sniper as a Logos theme seems most like Training, but could easily be Possessions or Routine too.

Thanks so much for the advice. I was kind of paralyzed for a few days, thinking I didn't understand the game well enough to participate, but now it seems worthwhile to keep exploring the system.