Clay Dust, Human Ranger(Hunter)

Moturnach

You are a new recruit of the "Silver Hawk Company", a mercenary group that provides services to people in need here on the Borderlands. The Silver Hawks are reasonably well known among the common folk, with about 200 of them being members at any one time. Their ranks include people from all different backgrounds; soldiers, healers, scribes, spies, rangers. Life on the Borderlands is hard, and from time to time they need to ... replenish ... the ranks from a job gone wrong.

Characters that work well with others will be more likely to be chosen for this campaign.

General Creation Rules

• Starting Level: 2
  • Ability Scores: Standard Array
  • Equipment: Starting equipment for class + 100 gp to be spent/saved as seen fit on mundane items.
  • Allowed Sources: 5th Edition Players Handbook, 5th Edition DM's Guide. I want to explore the 5th edition core books in more depth, and perhaps in later games we can open up to other sources.

I would prefer to start with interesting character concepts, and then work out the mechanics of those characters. In each character's application please include:

• Character's Name, Age, and Profession

Clay Dust, real name - Claiborne Barleydust, 45 years old Ranger

• Character Stats: Doesn't have to be a full character sheet, but it should cover generalities such as race/species, class, ability scores, starting spells, and background.

Race: Variant Human(Feat - Dungeon Delver)

Class: Hunter Ranger

Ability Scores: 10 STR, 15 DEX, 14 CON, 12 INT, 13 WIS, 8 CHA

1lvl Spells: Hunters Mark, Goodberry

Background: CriminalYou are an experienced criminal with a history of breaking the law. You have spent a lot of time among other criminals and still have contacts within the criminal underworld. You're far closer than most people to the world of murder, theft, and violence that pervades the underbelly of civilization, and you have survived up to this point by flouting the rules and regulations of society.

Source: Player's Handbook

Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Stealth
Tool Proficiencies: One type of gaming set, thieves' tools
Languages: None
Equipment: A crowbar, a set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a pouch containing 15gp

Criminal Specialty  - Grave Robber

Criminal Contact
You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

• Portrait: A picture speaks 1,000 words.

00001-3820240996.png.3fb231510d6f033326903d8c0c8cfbb3.png

Clairborne was once a son of famous ranger Dirk Barleydust, so it definitely have some piece of nobility shown to everyone, yet, this piece was greatly withered by life in poverty, famine and injustice in military prison, betrayal, as well as some unlucky moments in dungeons. That mix of experience left on him quite memorable consequences, so he looked rather like a beggar or low-life citizen of some dangerous city district if not his armour and equipment, which shows some signs of good care and old military habits obtained when he was much younger, which make him look rather like one of those fellas in dark alleys, usually armed with something dangerous. His scars and age making his appearance very unpleasant looking for average citizen, yet not to the point when its very outstanding, so one people may treat him as experienced veteran, other probably will think that he is some crook, and real answer is somewhere in the middle. Related to military individuals may easily recognize him as former deserter or prisoner of war due to lack of middle finger phalange on right hand, a pretty common way to deal with enemy archers except of death sentence, of course.

• Physical Description (1-2 paragraphs): What does your character look and sounds like? How do they dress, equip, and carry themself? What unique mannerism do they have?

His look rather reminds robber than ranger, but thats because he had to change his specialty due to the inability to use bow by his primary hand, so sometimes it looks ambidextrous, but this rather because he had to spend several years to relearn to use bow via left hand. That fact makes him looking much less experienced in archery than in fencing. Although, during young ages he was very promising and his appearance back then is still used on military agitational posters. Many even didnt think that that old man could be the bright green-colored smiling archer from poster. Clairborne now rather thinks its a sort of irony, a evil joke of the gods, cause everything including his look was fallen into darkness, and he even didnt know for sure if he was able to get out of it, or is still wandering somewhere in dark dungeons of his own mind.

• Personality (1-2 paragraphs): Why did your character apply for a mercenary company? What motivates them to get out of bed each morning? What are their quirks, their fears, their flaws, what makes them intriguing regardless of the situation? What challenges them and what do they in turn challenge? Please don't just copy snippets from the Bonds/Flaws/Ideals block of the PHB.

A invitation to mercenary company is a sort of second chance to him. Maybe he dont fully realizing it, but its also a way to get some proper treatment towards himself, because he tired of being treated as deserter and/or criminal, plus it reminds him of times when he, escaped from military prison being discarded by former squad and father cause being a archer that was unable to use his bow anymore was a great disgrace, so father and his friends just pretended that he is a stranger and real Barleydust was dead and he is just a random deserter, so he got into jail for a second time. After escape from there, his faith in humanity was vanished completely, so now he treats literally everyone from the point of value as asset, however he never say that to anyone. It doesnt mean that he will not cooperate, he just will look at whole thing under different angle.

• Background (7-12, Knives Approach): Give 7-12 knives, found HERE. These are bullet points, quick 1-2 sentence descriptions to give the hook, not a full essay. Long, drawn out backstories aren't as useful to a GM as emotional "loose ends". Remember that the character needs a motivation to take part in whatever the specific game's story/theme is.

Short summary of those i mentioned already:

- He is escaped from jail twice, so probably someone may want him either dead or jailed.

- His father Dirk Barleydust betrayed him to save face from being a son of deserter, and thats a huge trauma for Clairborne

- For same reason, his former squadmates betrayed him and probably will want him dead assuming they are still alive after about 20 years and he somehow reveal himself.

- He is able to use bow only via holding it with right hand and pulling string by left hand, due to lack of phalange on right hand.

- His true identity is a secret, so he wont reveal his real name unless someone will recognize him due to fact that he may be killed using it.

And a couple new ones

- He feels undeads presence via certain level of fear, so technically he can be completely suppressed by some dangerous undeads.

- He may have some curses that he is not aware of + most of the magic he learned in books from dungeons.

- Former allies seen as undeads is probably the most horrible and disgusting thing that he can imagine. Intelligent undeads like vampires for example is easy way for a disaster cause Clairborne may fall into their trap much easier.

• What do you expect from this game?

Since im pretty much newb in DnD and never played any campaign, probably something interesting for myself. ATM hard to say, probably good gameplay overall and memorable story, even if a total failure.

• What do you expect from me (The GM?)

Anything))) Again, since im never played DnD, im curious how it will be. I dont mind to die a lot, but expect some cool level of cooperation when a wrong move from one player may cause massive deadly consequences for party. However, i hope that this character will manage to survive till the end.

• What do you expect from other players?

Something cool and unexpected. For example i dont mind being backstabbed, cause despite ill be frustrated, ill probably will find it pretty interesting, especially if GM will play this well and it makes a spin around main plot.

--------------------------------------------

Just in case, its 30-min character of mine, so if Undeads as favored enemy and Forest as a terrain will be a waste for main plot or something is not fitting to the story, its pretty easy to adjust. Its supposed to be primarily a melee dex duelist with a splash of rogue and archer as secondary role, but it really depends on team if i get to that point.

Edited by Moturnach (see edit history)

token_12.png.fc923c5f4144325d976c83c4f5753d9c.png.cf9a7c2130e10691cc83b1a0d8842c56.pngClay Dust(Claiborne Barleydust)

Human Ranger, Hunter 

AC: 14 (Studded Leather) | HP: 24/24 () | HD: 2/2 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +2
Senses: Passive Perception 14, Insight 12, Investigation 11.
Str: 10 (0) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 12 (+1) | Wis: 14(+2) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Spell Slots: L1 2/2 | L2 0/0

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

-

Reactions:

-

Class Features:

Just in case, please kick me if you see any mistakes, cause while i have some exprerience in roleplay, i may be not aware about how DnD system works, so my apologies if im doing something wrong.

Not sure if you're going for default or variant Human, but either way your stats aren't quite right.

Default human gets +1 to all stats, variant gets +1 to two stats, an extra skill and a feat.

EDIT:// I see above you're going variant Human with Dungeon Delver feat, so two stats of your choice get an extra +1. DEX & WIS would make sense since they are both odd and both key stats.

Also your saves/skills don't match up - you'll need to edit the OOC boxes by double clicking the various fields whilst editing.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

2 hours ago, PureChance said:

Not sure if you're going for default or variant Human, but either way your stats aren't quite right.

Default human gets +1 to all stats, variant gets +1 to two stats, an extra skill and a feat.

EDIT:// I see above you're going variant Human with Dungeon Delver feat, so two stats of your choice get an extra +1. DEX & WIS would make sense since they are both odd and both key stats.

Also your saves/skills don't match up - you'll need to edit the OOC boxes by double clicking the various fields whilst editing.

Thanks a lot for your help, i think i make up with skills and managed all info, just need to add up feat properties. I think Animal Handling skill are decent cause my character father might have some griffins or wyverns, or he might have experience with animals during his military service, most obviously horses. Yet id probably prefer to have something like camel for my character cause they usually smarter than horses.

Surprisingly he ended up being very WIS focused, and i like it. A true man with a lot of experience behind. Deception is good pick cause he might want to hide some info about himself despite not being very charismatic. And investigation cause he may like getting more info lust by looking at something/someone and have synergy with this skill due to Dungeon Delver.

2 hours ago, ResidualRose said:

Catch!

Thanks a lot!

------------------------------------------

Additional question, which language you may prefer to have for my character? Originally i thought about something eldritch that may appear in dungeons yet im not sure if its useful enough.

Same question about gaming set. Anyone want a game to share with?