Edit History

Raistlinmc

Raistlinmc

I've actually run games that fall somewhat into this category that Cai brought up in the original post here, but not exactly. My first game - and surely my longest, as it began on another site in 2010 and transferred over to MW in 2012 before continuing on another few years - began with PCs at level 2 (Pathfinder 1e, sandbox style story). Once those PCs hit level 8 and transitioned to a new plane of existence (long story), a new set of PCs were created and were run in alternating chapters with the original PCs; players would switch from mid-to-high level characters to low-level characters and back again every couple months or so. This worked pretty darn well, honestly. It allowed players to bask in the glory of upper-level antics that often grind games to a halt and then suddenly they're fighting for their lives again against kobolds and goblins with their low-level new characters.

I won't pretend this approach will work for everyone - I was too new to know better and my players were too damn kind to tell me I was nuts for trying it - but it was a fun twist on the two-characters/one-player concept Cai alluded to above.

Raistlinmc

Raistlinmc

I've actually run games that fall somewhat into this category that Cai brought up in the original post here, but not exactly. My first game - and surely my longest, as it began on another site in 2010 and transferred over to MW in 2012 before continuing on another few years - began with PCs at level 2 (Pathfinder 1e, sandbox style story). Once those PCs hit level 8 and transitioned to a new plane of existence (long story), a new set of PCs were created and were run in alternating chapters with the original PCs; players would switch from mid-to-high level characters to low-level characters and back again every couple months or so. This worked pretty darn well, honestly. It allowed players to bask in the glory of upper-level antics that often grind games to a halt and then suddenly they're fighting for their lives again against kobolds and goblins with their low-level new characters.

I won't pretend this approach will work for everyone - I was too new to know better and my players were too damn good to tell me I was nuts for trying it - but it was a fun twist on the two-characters/one-player concept Cai alluded to above.