Character creation discussion

dalamb

Ask questions about your character and interpretations of standard rules. Discussions about my house rules belong elsewhere. I will update this post with brief answers to questions, so they are easy to find.

I haven't figured out what kind of character I'd like to play yet. I have a vague notion of wanting to play an aquatic character linked in some way to pretty underwater landscapes.

Like this 43792688_lTiny-1024x683.jpg.aace7f977c1cf28f84814e052b616f61.jpg and kelp_forest_douglas_klug_photo_lgdr.jpeg.a5e6c759913cf0e6312dac558655e85c.jpeg and underwater_caves__commission__by_jjpeabody_d5xk4id-fullview.jpg.c80e359dba28f287d56879f140473c49.jpg.

...But I'm having trouble coming up with character motivations.

Addendum: I wonder if maybe a 'Sea Speaker' would be a good officer role to have on a fantasy ship. Someone who can Speak With Animals or at higher levels Commune With Nature to get an idea of what lies below the water, whether it be treasure or monsters.

Edited by Avaday Daydream (see edit history)

Sea Speaker would be cool, and I have added it to the Officer roles.

I recently posted the "extraordinary abilities from skills" rules, and if you have enough ranks in Swim you get Speak With Animals.

Discussing motivations here is fine, since it can help people think through what they want to do.

I think I'm pretty much there with my character concept now. What's left should be easy to adapt to any further tweaks you make to the creation rules. Thanks for all the help you've provided in clarifying things for us all.

Regarding the officer roles on board ship, are you intending that NPC gorilla to actually take up the First Mate position, or is it purely for illustrative purposes?

My character could be a good fit for First Mate, but if that one is taken, or goes to someone else, are there any other comparable roles? I'm thinking he'll be a pretty strong away team or boarding party leader, good melee and missile combat skills, with a sorceror's magic and charisma (Human, Fighter/Sorceror).

Soooo many feats! I'm in D&D heaven! 😊

Just waiting on your go-ahead to post the character, but happy to wait until you are ready to open the doors.

So I notice the game is at level 9, and gestalt; how does this stack up against other privateers and pirates on the sea? Are the crew of the Swift Vengeance relatively green, experienced plunderers, or some of the most famous (and infamous) swashbucklers in the world?

@Avaday Daydream: The Swift Vengeance and Zentaru are famous, in Andaron, and infamous in Iverina. You can choose to play a long-time crew member, but the initial setup (as with the original) is that applicants are by default new hires. That lets me run an IC thread during application where you can dialogue with other players and help me get a sense of what it is like to interact with you. If you want to play a long-time member of the crew that's fine, and we can work out some history privately.

There are other equally badass privateers out there on the other side of the conflict; they're not rare but they're not common either. The first ship-to-ship fight might be a little easy since I don't want to run the risk of accidentally putting you up against too strong an opponent right away, but at some point you might come across an Iverinan who will give you a very hard fight. Or I suppose you might annoy the Rodanese, which would be a very bad idea.

@Lord Foul: Garth is purely illustrative now. He was the first mate in the original campaign. Shiv found she didn't enjoy PbP and is off DMing PF2 campaigns with The Foundry.

I have one more set of rules updates I know about, which I hope to post tomorrow, and suggest you wait for those.

I noticed in the bit about rangers and favored enemies that dragons, apparently, aren't around in this world. Are there any other races or monsters that are notably missing?

And, with creatures like araneas and the lammasu, that have intrinsic spellcasting, would we pay character points for each level of racial spellcasting, or are they for free?

Ooo... I'd missed that. If there are no dragons, does that have implications for certain spells, such as Dragonskin (3rd Sor/Wiz spell)? I was planning on taking that one for my sorceror. Could it be reskinned (pardon the pun) as a different name but with the same effects? Or do I need to drop it completely and take Lightning Bolt instead (pretty limited with only 3 x 3rd level spells and water breathing and fly both at 3rd)?

Edited by Lord Foul (see edit history)

Regarding your natural feat progression, there are some classes that grant bonus feats which are found further down the list: my theoretical monk character gets improved trip, for example. If this happens, would that open up the entire tree, or does it need to be entered from the beginning?

No worries, that'll give me chance to raise a few more!

For feats that have a prerequisite of 'Ability to Cast X level spells', would we still qualify for that if we took a class that would ordinarily have this, without investing the points to actually be able to cast spells? Or would we need to purchase up to that level of spells before we meet the prerequisite?