Behold H'Catha (Part 4)

Cointhief

image.png.72a3503ac444de309a7eb02159e814b6.png

In a lonely void of space, the tyrant vessel makes a clandestine rendezvous with the Fleet's Flighty Foundling. After giving a proper space funeral for Ryeback, Saerthe and Tarto decide not to take any more chances...they come aboard, with Saethe assuming command. Popsicle, Veena, Zibbles, Miken, Wizpop, and Krik'lit are all dismissed. Evidence is handed over, statements are recorded, and the investigation rides back to Toril to be taken up by Fleet security.

Tarto grimaces at the whole situation, gnawing on her cigar and assigning you all to dull tasks. Somewhat sadly, Lazuli transfers attunement of the helm over to Saerthe. Morale takes a bit of a downturn with the crew losing the independence and comradery of the previous tenday. Clearly the officers are annoyed and frustrated with the recurring sabotage situation, and just want to get a success for a change.

The trek through wildspace to H'Catha takes many more mostly uneventful days. The strange planet's description from the library doesn't do it justice. H'Catha is a watery disk thousands of miles wide, with a towering mountain called the Spindle at its center. 1000 beholder vessels swarm the planet in the dark, and you can hear a pindrop as the tyrant merges with their flight pattern...like a school of deadly fish.

Saerthe finally maneuvers the tyrant ship so that it hovers a few feet above the surface of the water at the Spindle's edge. Nothing stirs below in the shallow water, but in the distance, some kind of alien sea birds squawk to each other...swooping and diving for food hiding in the deep.

Boatswain Tarto flicks away the stub of her smoldering cigar as she orders you to unfurl a rope ladder. She is much more terse than usual, clearly not in the mood for funny business. "Here’s the deal, see. You have one sending stone, and I have the other. When you find the meteorite, contact me and let me know, then await further instructions."

image.png.8f57ed7186e4670279cc3cbf2400d1f8.pngTarto tosses you a satchel. "This here is a Bag of Holding. You can use it to contain the meteorite. The impact site is nearby. If the meteorite isn't there, search the nearby caves...it may have bounced or skidded. Saerthe and I will stay here and guard the ship."

The sun is a distant speck. Daylight on H'Catha appears to be no brighter than a starry night on Toril. Still, in this dim light, you can see a blemish in the gravelly pile of rock where something must've struck at great speed...shattering stone and leaving a huge indentation. Whatever it was, it tumbled down the mountainside towards the shore, leaving a furrow of molten rock.

ooc: Give me marching order, lighting, and any special precautions while navigating the stony shore towards the impact site AKA where the 70 billion CR 13 beholders live. Also who is carrying the Sending Stone, and who is carrying the Bag of Holding.

The Spindle is huge, about 200 miles at its base and 1000 miles high. You guys are starting at the shore, where the waters meet the rock.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

spacer.pngCelsior Loriniscil, Prince of Alfheim

Inspiration Yes | HP 27/27 | HD 4/4 | Step 2/2 | Shield 1/1

Bladesong 2/2 | Recovery 2/2 | 1st-level 4/4 | 2nd-level 3/3

Celsior handled the transition of command with grace. He openly provided information and hoped the investigation would reveal the saboteurs. He kept with his original recruiting crew comparing notes and sharing stories during the trek through wildspace.

At H'Catha, the prince accepts the sending stone and puts it in his gear. "What's the meteorite look like? How big is it?" He asks for a description for this hunt while one of his crew accepts the bag of holding.

After the answers, he asks, "who wants to lead? I think we need to follow that big drag mark."

Mechanics

Active spells:

Action: -

Plasmoid.jpg.2a97192db590b36ed168657a4f2abba8.jpgYahs Anirys Plasmoid Monk (Way of Mercy) 4 CG

AC: 16 | HP: 32/32 | HD: 3/3 | PP: 13 | Inspiration: Yes | Speed: 40 ft | GP: 60
Str 11 (0) Dex 18 (4) Con 12 (1) Wis 16 (3) Int 11 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Attacks: Spear (P)1d20+6;1d6+4 | Unarmed(B) 1d20+6;1d4+4 | Sling(B)1d20+6;1d4+4 | Quarterstaff-Mop(B) 1d20+6;1d6+4
Magic: Sacred Flame (DEX vs DC13; 1d8) | Shield of Faith(Bonus; +2AC) | Ki Pool: 4/4

Yahs watched the others depart with more than a little suspicion. Her leatherworking tools safely returned to the airtight bag at the bottom of her bucket, she pondered all that she had learned and eventually shared with the Captain. She had her suspicions, but none of them really amounted to any kind of actual proof. So as the massive disk with its single spire of rock approached she put the matter out of her mind. Focused instead on her training and duties. Work that was paying off as her reflexes grew quicker, her mind calmer. The matter of the saboteurs was for the higher ups in Fleet to deal with the problem now. She hoped more effectively than they had dealt with all the issues up to now.

Letting her visual nerves adjust to the dim H'Canthan light, the plasmoid steps forward. "I can take the lead Captain." She says forgetting that Celsior was no longer Captain. Readying her trusty mop, she sets out at a comfortable sliding slither along the meteorites trail. Her eye stalks extended to watch for any sign of curious beholders.

Perception if needed

Edited by DM-Tareth (see edit history)
Name
Perception if needed
1d20+5 13

Tarto sighs at Celsior's question "Our arcano-astronomer detected a bright flash in the H'Cathan atmosphere. She did a photometric calculation which, as I understand, related the angular separation and luminous flux to determine the meteorite's size and shape. She used the phrase 'humanoid coffin'." Tarto takes a drag off her cigar before adding "...then again, Channelle was always a bit grim. Black makeup. Silver regalia. You know the type. Anyways, with further spectral analysis she concluded it was likely adamantine. I don't have to tell you what that could be worth."

~~~

Yahs cautiously advanced across the dim alien shore. Gravel crunched with every step, the remains of eons worth of spacefarers greeting petrification rays for all she knew.

The falling stone left a scratch mark on H'Catha, essentially a celestial inspired arrow pointing to the place where the foreign stone came to rest. This trivialized the search. However, at the crater's minimum the object was not to be found.

In its place? Large humanoid tracks disturbing the powdery impact soils...like an ogrillon or troll. They appear to come from, and lead to, a small cave at the base of the Spindle a few hundred feet away.

Lazuli Lazali Lulura, AKA SquishySlimeGirl.jpg.be6391fa65f486754161b2eadaffc135.jpg

AC 17 | HP 35/35| HD 3/3 | Inspiration Yes | P.Perception 21 | P.Investigation 15

Saves: Str -1 | Dex +3 | Con +1 | Int +2 | Wis +6 | Cha +0

Resistances: Acid and Poison

Lazuli didn’t take so well to the loss of agency, or the loss of pilot privileges, but she made the most of it, eating and growing and studying fungi. One morning, over breakfast, she commented, “Did you guys know some fungi have tens of thousands of distinct biological sexes? Anyway, so I decided to change my pronouns. I am they/them now,” they declared, nonchalantly.

Lazuli deferred to the others in determining marching order, mainly making sure they were close enough to use Healing Word if needed. In their travel time, Lazuli had grown more sensory organs, so they were eager to try them out in searching for the space coffin. Or whatever this thing was.

Celsior concludes in his head that they would know it when they saw it from the inscrutable description of its detection.

Looking over the end of the drag mark, the prince states the obvious. "I guess something big found it first. Let's follow its tracks." He nods to whoever took the lead.

Mechanics

Active spells:

Plasmoid.jpg.2a97192db590b36ed168657a4f2abba8.jpgYahs Anirys Plasmoid Monk (Way of Mercy) 4 CG

AC: 16 | HP: 32/32 | HD: 3/3 | PP: 13 | Inspiration: Yes | Speed: 40 ft | GP: 60
Str 11 (0) Dex 18 (4) Con 12 (1) Wis 16 (3) Int 11 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Attacks: Spear (P)1d20+6;1d6+4 | Unarmed(B) 1d20+6;1d4+4 | Sling(B)1d20+6;1d4+4 | Quarterstaff-Mop(B) 1d20+6;1d6+4
Magic: Sacred Flame (DEX vs DC13; 1d8) | Shield of Faith(Bonus; +2AC) | Ki Pool: 4/4

Hearing what they were actually trying to retrieve, Yahs wasn't sure how she felt about being turned into little more than a space traveling grave robber. Whoever was interred in that mystic metal box, he or she probably have some pretty powerful relations who may not take kindly to having their kin's final rest disturbed. Assuming of course whoever is stowed inside is actually dead and not there for other reasons. Yet, Fleet wasn't too keen on lowly cadets questioning orders too much, so with a skeptical sigh she turns and begins following the track toward the lonely cave and hoping it's master had decided to go visiting neighbors for a day or two.

"Lou" Louis Dufray (Goblin Ranger 4) sheetspacer.pngspacer.png

AC: 16 | HP: 40/40 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Features
Opal AC: 16 | HP: 25/25 | PP: 14 | Features

Lou scouts ahead while the others discuss the plan. He might not have any idea what a human-coffin-sized chunk of admatine would look like or be worth, but he knew he didn't want to run into any of the thousands of beholders that lived here.

"Let's be careful, but let's keep moving."

Opal stays at his side.

Mechanics

Main Hand: bow
Off Hand: none

Lou's Action: survival to track
Move: none
Manipulate: none
Bonus Action: hide

Opal's Action: follows along
Bonus Action: none
Reaction: none

Gnarley's Knack: You have Advantage on the next roll you make regarding ship repairs or ship weaponry.

Name
Survival
1d20+5 4

Yahs carried the squad further across the alien landscape. The dark gravel, glowing vaguely white in the starlight, crunched beneath the party's boots...as if protesting the intrusion. With every footfall, the ground shifted unpredictably sending echoes reverberating through the desolate terrain.

All the while, the tall spire of the Spindle looked down upon them, a thousand stars motionless behind it.

Sinister whispers rode on the cool breeze escaping out to water, carrying the enigmatic whispers of beholders. Of course only Louis could recognize the underspeech as a language and not some creepy natural phenomenon. As the party crept closer and closer, the space pirate became more certain he heard the sound of an argument coming from the cave.

ooc: Cave entrance is about 20 ft high, and appears dimly lit inside. I'll assume you guys want order Yahs, Louis, Lazuli, Celsior with no light sources, and no one carrying the bag of holding or sending stone unless you say otherwise.

Lou carries the sending stone and the bag of holding. At the cave entrance, he recommends a different order.

"It sounds like someone is arguing in Deep Speech. This can't be good. We'll need to take them out before they can call for help. Yahs and Lazuli in the front, then Celsior. I'll bring up the rear in case we get ambushed from behind."

Mechanics

Lou's Action: ready to move in
Bonus Action: hide

Gnarley's Knack: You have Advantage on the next roll you make regarding ship repairs or ship weaponry.

Edited by BobtheWizard (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
1d20+6 3

The crew takes their chances within the cave, seeking out the strangely shaped meteorite. The first thing you note about the tunnels is that they are remarkably similar to the tyrant vessel when you first arrived. Shorn from disintegration, covered in living slime, stank-nasty...it ticks all the boxes. It does however seem much older. Geological activity of the planet has cracked the ceiling in places, letting in dim starlight. The living slime is less slippery and more scabbed and calloused. The stinky whiffs are more of an old grandma stench than a overripe fruit.

Passing the first 30 ft or so of the cavern, the argumentative alien chatter grows louder exponentially. You note the passage ends with a sharp dropoff, like a cliff, but only 5 or 10 ft, into a large sunken floor.

A misshapen, vaguely oblong lump of metal sits in the middle of the chamber. Yes, if you were gloomy minded, it might resemble a coffin. The first thing that comes to mind however is the shell of a pecan or giant sunflower seed. A sliver of light streaming down on it from a hole in the cavern's ceiling gives the presumed adamantine a dark-blue sheen.

Hovering near the meteorite are two identical creatures, each one a slimy green orb with a large central eye and four writhing eyestalks about the size of a man. Gathered around them are half a dozen smaller creatures of similar shape, each no bigger than a grapefruit. Sitting on big boulder overlooking the chamber is a massive, yellow-skinned ogre with one cyclopean eye. The ogre yawns and blinks its one-eye slowly, appearing rather tired.

image.png.3dfb4ac584064f4f2c1516f28dc3f448.pngThe two larger ones are engaged in a surprisingly civil debate, the details of which only Louis can garner:

"I reckon it should be me guarding it. My fear ray can scare off anything that gets too close."

"Ha, mate that's a load of bollocks! I've got the paralysis ray that'll stop 'em in their tracks...then they wont be going no where, forward or back!"

"But oy, what if something tries to sneak past? You've got pink eye in one of your stalks...and its spreading."

"Your eyes might be clearer than mine, but my telepathic net can pick up anything conscious even farther than you can see!"

"Maybe we should settle this with a test of strength. Whoever can hold it the longest becomes its guardian."

Going on and on like this in circles, its easy to see why the cyclops is so bored.

"Stone the flamin' gulls, mate! A contest of magic would be better...wait, arbiters?"

The banter comes to an abrupt halt, and they both slowly turn in the party's direction. Simultaneously, a smile creeps along their gaping maws, and a telepathic voice invades everyone's psyche:

~Mysterious outsiders! I am Spectator Greelob. This is Spectator Orlob. Each of us claims the right to guard this meteorite, but only one of us may do so. We call upon you to mediate our dispute at once!!~

Something tells you they won't accept simply choosing one or another at random...but instead you will need a good argument to back up the reason for your selection.

OOC: Chamber here is roughly a 30ft diameter. Not including the passage you came though, there are 3 other passages leading out of it.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

Lazuli Lazali Lulura, AKA SquishySlimeGirl.jpg.be6391fa65f486754161b2eadaffc135.jpg

AC 17 | HP 35/35| HD 3/3 | Inspiration Yes | P.Perception 21 | P.Investigation 15

Saves: Str -1 | Dex +3 | Con +1 | Int +2 | Wis +6 | Cha +0

Resistances: Acid and Poison

Lazuli takes in the scene. "Guys, I can read lips. They are saying... Well, it looks like grunting and gnashing and stuff. Not too useful. I think it's in French."

At the telepathic words, however, she actually understood. "They want us to mediate their dispute," she says, helpfully. "Each thinks they would be the better guardian. I don't know, though, they might have to show us who is stronger. Perhaps they could demonstrate on the cyclops? So we could make an informed judgement?"

Celsior hoped to escape the baby beholders and was shocked when they spotted them.

"Yes. I think that is an excellent idea Squishy. Anyone have a better way?" The prince crowd-sources for the best solution... to save their life.

Mechanics

Active spells:

Lou nods at Lazuli's suggestion, steps forward, and responds verbally to the two miniature beholders.

"We don't know the two of you well enough yet to make that decision. And what about the cyclops over there? Perhaps he would make the best guard."

He looks back at the others then addresses the abominations again. "We will need a demonstration of what you all can do. I suggest the cyclops as the target. Whoever can disable him first gets our vote."

Then he calls out to the cyclops.

"Cyclops, if you can defeat them both, we will choose you."

Mechanics

Lou's Action: call out to guards