Edit History

gatorized

gatorized

On 2/16/2024 at 11:44 PM, matt_s said:

- point buy/standard array are often "solved" problems: e.g. in dnd 15/15/15/8/8/8 is very strong and characters can feel "samey"

That's because D&D just isn't a very good system. There are plenty of point buy systems in which there is no optimal build and every character feels different.

On 3/4/2024 at 5:49 PM, Feirgon said:

That said, I do truly enjoy rolling stats and even "in order". Not so much because I have to now work how these stats can make sense mechanically, but how this informs who the character is. This is the Roleplay approach that I feel can often be swept to the side in a lot of games (crunch vs. fluff). But I don't play TTRPGs (especially PbP) because I want to play a game. I want to develop a character and explore who they are in the world that's been drafted by the DM. In a way, rolling primary attributes can create a more cinematic experience.

None of this follows. Using point buy or rolling has no effect on whether you can have a cinematic experience, nor does either prevent you from developing and exploring a character.

gatorized

gatorized

That's because D&D just isn't a very good system. There are plenty of point buy systems in which there is no optimal build and every character feels different.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:44 PM, matt_s said:

- point buy/standard array are often "solved" problems: e.g. in dnd 15/15/15/8/8/8 is very strong and characters can feel "samey"