Edit History

Raistlinmc

Raistlinmc

Zaivie Wynx had never been a smart girl.

This unfortunate realization had first occurred to her around the age of four-ish, when her father - knee-deep in his cups, admittedly, but hurt was still hurt - had first bellowed out, "Zaivie Wynx, you ain't a smart girl, is ya?"

She'd had two distinct thoughts at that moment, as she remembered it: first, she'd thought that that was rather unfair of her dad, being that he couldn't add higher than six even on his best days; second, unkind though the words may have been, she'd silently agreed with him, largely because she wasn't much good at getting higher than six herself.

Thus, she'd embraced it as only the good-looking and impoverished can. Sure, she was dumb; what of it? She'd grown up and, a decade and some change later, learned that there was more than one way to skin a cat.

She'd also suspected that there was a lot more a to this world than skinned cats. So she'd decided to see some of it.

And that was how she found herself in the position to respond to the well-spoken fellow with the long name - Tharnacalicer? Thermolopoli? something like that - when he'd asked what the others were thinking. In truth, if she was being entirely honest, Zaivie would have had to respond to this particular query about what she was thinking with little more than a whistled tune she knew only as "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" that she'd picked up somewhere along the way, but even a dullard like Zaivie knew that that wasn't the sort of thing one said aloud to a group of strangers.

So, instead, she flashed the man a smile - men loved being smiled at, she'd learned in recent years - and replied, "Welp, here's what I'm thinkin': the man says it's two gold a night ta stay here, yeah? An', unless I messed up my countin' along the way, I got m'self one gold left. Now, 's fair ta say that that ain't enough ta sleep here again t'night unless'n that innkeep's inclined ta give me a discount fer...umm...one reason 'r another. So I'm thinkin' I'd best check them burial mounds ya mentioned there, cuz before long, I'm probably gonna need ta turn this one coin into, uhh, more of 'em."

She flashes her smile again, crooked and bright and too damned come-hither for anyone's own good, and adds, "By the by, name's Zaivie. Zaivie Wynx. Nice ta meet'cha, boys."

Raistlinmc

Raistlinmc

Zaivie Wynx had never been a smart girl.

This unfortunate realization had first occurred to her around the age of four-ish, when her father - knee-deep in his cups, admittedly, but hurt was still hurt - had first bellowed out, "Zaivie Wynx, you ain't a smart girl, is ya?"

She'd had two distinct thoughts at that moment, as she remembered it: first, she'd thought that that was rather unfair of her dad, being that he couldn't add higher than six even on his best days; second, unkind though the words may have been, she'd silently agreed with him, largely because she wasn't much good at getting higher than six herself.

Thus, she'd embraced it as only the good-looking and impoverished can. Sure, she was dumb; what of it? She'd grown up and, a decade and some change later, learned that there was more than one way to skin a cat.

She'd also suspected that there was a lot more a to this world than skinned cats. So she'd decided to see some of it.

And that was how she found herself in the position to respond to the well-spoken fellow with the long name - Tharnacalicer? Thermolopoli? something like that - when he'd asked what the others were thinking. In truth, if she was being entirely honest, Zaivie would have had to respond to this particular query with little more than a whistled tune she knew only as "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" that she'd picked up somewhere along the way, but even a dullard like Zaivie knew that that wasn't the sort of thing one said aloud to a group of strangers.

So, instead, she flashed the man a smile - men loved being smiled at, she'd learned in recent years - and replied, "Welp, here's what I'm thinkin': the man says it's two gold a night ta stay here, yeah? An', unless I messed up my countin' along the way, I got m'self one gold left. Now, 's fair ta say that that ain't enough ta sleep here again t'night unless'n that innkeep's inclined ta give me a discount fer...umm...one reason 'r another. So I'm thinkin' I'd best check them burial mounds ya mentioned there, cuz before long, I'm probably gonna need ta turn this one coin into, uhh, more of 'em."

She flashes her smile again, crooked and bright and too damned come-hither for anyone's own good, and adds, "By the by, name's Zaivie. Zaivie Wynx. Nice ta meet'cha, boys."