Introductions / Game Discussion / Questions

Green Ice Cream

@LDDragon Nice! I certainly remember Enchanter. Originally, Infocom wanted to market the game as Zork IV, but it became a trilogy of its own. At the time, Enchanter recognized more words than any other text adventure. Have you played the other two: Sorcerer and Spellbreaker?

Being a Zork enthusiast, I'll always recall that Zork III had a 'sneak peek' of Enchanter before the game's release. There was a location where you could view scenes from the other two Zorks, notated as I and II. Well, there was also a IV that revealed a scene from Enchanter.

How'd you win? 😃

enchanter-inv-1A.jpg.1934ea15fba8a260c9d81e4c593f0fa1.jpg

I did try Zork on your advice, and it was interesting although I think playing it on a browser-based emulator probably wasn't the best method 😅

I didn't get too far into it but I think the most interesting thing that happened was I explored around the house and found what sounded like a priceless Faberge egg up a tree in the forest but that was promptly stolen from me by a thief as soon as I got underground!

8 hours ago, Green Ice Cream said:

@LDDragon Nice! I certainly remember Enchanter. Originally, Infocom wanted to market the game as Zork IV, but it became a trilogy of its own. At the time, Enchanter recognized more words than any other text adventure. Have you played the other two: Sorcerer and Spellbreaker?

Being a Zork enthusiast, I'll always recall that Zork III had a 'sneak peek' of Enchanter before the game's release. There was a location where you could view scenes from the other two Zorks, notated as I and II. Well, there was also a IV that revealed a scene from Enchanter.

How'd you win? 😃

enchanter-inv-1A.jpg.1934ea15fba8a260c9d81e4c593f0fa1.jpg

I think I may have played both of the others briefly, did not get very far. I used to play Enchanter in after coming back from primary school, was thrilling when I won for the first time. I feel like I do not have the patience for the classic text adventures now.

The way I won Enchanter involved talking with a turtle. If I remember correctly, there is a staircase that involves falling endlessly, and inventory dropped at that point, but needed to hold a scroll. If the turtle had it, the scroll did not drop, stored in its shell or something. Told the turtle to go to the final battle place, and issued a series of commands that got it to spell duel the main bad guy. It succeeded the spell duel, which won the game. Meanwhile, my character was still falling down the endless staircase at the end of the game. 😄

Edited by LDDragon (see edit history)

On 3/21/2024 at 9:48 PM, Barrigan said:

I did try Zork on your advice, and it was interesting although I think playing it on a browser-based emulator probably wasn't the best method 😅

I didn't get too far into it but I think the most interesting thing that happened was I explored around the house and found what sounded like a priceless Faberge egg up a tree in the forest but that was promptly stolen from me by a thief as soon as I got underground!

Nice! 😀 The difficulty really intensifies once you begin to explore the underground. Yeah, agreed (not a fan of the browser-based emus).

Ah yes, the jewel encrusted egg! Well done... you get 5 points for just taking the egg. 😃 No spoilers, in case you ever try again, but obviously the egg is crucial. There are so many routes you can take when deciding what to do with it.

Looks like you ran into your great adversary, the thief. Takes me back. Just curious, did you already know how to access the underground empire, or did you figure it out on your own?

SWTAegg.jpg.d842c453d9cc39e89f597eee3b3d1e22.jpg

On 3/22/2024 at 1:42 AM, LDDragon said:

I think I may have played both of the others briefly, did not get very far. I used to play Enchanter in after coming back from primary school, was thrilling when I won for the first time. I feel like I do not have the patience for the classic text adventures now.

The way I won Enchanter involved talking with a turtle. If I remember correctly, there is a staircase that involves falling endlessly, and inventory dropped at that point, but needed to hold a scroll. If the turtle had it, the scroll did not drop, stored in its shell or something. Told the turtle to go to the final battle place, and issued a series of commands that got it to spell duel the main bad guy. It succeeded the spell duel, which won the game. Meanwhile, my character was still falling down the endless staircase at the end of the game.

Nice job winning at Enchanter. I was excited when I beat Zork as well. And I believe you're right... I probably wouldn't stick it out these days, considering the multitude of options we have. 🙂

Of course, the turtle! 😄 Yeah, I remember that. You could defeat the game, but still be falling endlessly. Good stuff!

1 hour ago, Green Ice Cream said:

Just curious, did you already know how to access the underground empire, or did you figure it out on your own?

I think I had that spoiled for me just by googling the game. The description was something like "Zork is a classic text adventure where the player begins outside a house but the real story takes place in the underground empire accessed through a trap door in the living room."

So I knew that much already. But knowing that was the way forward I explored the house and surroundings reasonably thoroughly before I went down there. I found a magic sword somewhere as well (the attic maybe?) and was thoroughly confused when the game told me it was glowing when I went down the trap door so I turned by lantern off and it said 'you're now in pitch darkness and can't see anything' so I guess proceeding by swordlight was not an option.

Interesting about the egg though. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to games and I wanted to hold on to every item I found, imagining there would be an unexpected use for things like the pamphlet found in the mailbox if only I hung onto it right until the end. But alas, no more than 10 items, including your weapons and light source.

@Barrigan Yeah, it's quite infuriating when a simple search spoils the game, movie, or show. Think you would've moved the rug if you hadn't been spoiled?

Oh, yeah... the sword (found above the trophy case) glows blue when danger is near. Entering the cellar will cause it to glow, but the lantern must be activated to avoid grue attacks. Pitch darkness is your enemy! lol

I tend to hoard as well. It was very tough for me to drop the leaflet. And yes, inventory management is crucial in Zork, especially when attempting to get the treasures above ground. Lemme know if you ever give it another spin.
lantern.jpg.ea0ae22884cba966f0d1ed46a7440e33.jpgzork.jpg.07ed64b143cb6083a97e3b6bf9a4167a.jpg

I am still around, but might be quiet for a bit. Sometimes I have trouble thinking what to do, feel free to advance the game without me, will jump in if I can think of a particular action to take. This is definitely a unique game, and quite cool that way! 😀

Also Barrigan well done on advancing the light side!!! Awesome!!! 😀

Edited by LDDragon (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
ร—
ร—