Who are your favorite adventure writers?

cailano

musicofthespheres.jpg.2212f16188848c27e746dabe0dadde68.jpgThere are modules, and then there are adventures that call out for us to run them. Whether it's because of gripping stories, ingenious encounters, or both, we all have our favorites.

Who are the adventure writers who can consistently deliver the games that make you want to get a recruitment up as fast as possible?

My current favorite is Harley Stroh, who primarily writes for Dungeon Crawl Classics. He's a master of the short-form adventure and can do more with 20 pages than most authors can do with 60. His module, Doom of the Savage Kings, is only 19 pages long but so full of possibilities that I ran it here on the Weave as a nine-month campaign that took over 2000 posts to resolve.

And don't even get me started on his 100-page boxed set, The Music of the Spheres is Chaos, with its spinning dungeon and player-held, reality-altering Alembic Key. And what a title! Harley Stroh is just next-level awesome.

I've also got to hat tip to James Jacobs, one of Paizo's adventure writers. He wrote the first modules for several highly-regarded Pathfinder Adventure Paths, including Rise of the Runelords and The Abomination Vaults. His best work, IMHO, was The Brinewall Legacy, which began the Jade Regent adventure path. It had probably the best three-act structure I've read in a single module, and it segued into an epic campaign as well as I've seen it done.

But those are only my opinions. What about yours? Who are the best adventure writers in the business?