• Keen Senses+2 to Perception
  • Elven ImmunitiesImmune to sleep, +2 to saves against enchantment
  • MultitalentedTwo favored classes:
    Paladin
    Ranger
  • Languages:
  • Common, Elven

Ranger Archetypes:

• InfiltratorAt levels 3, 8, 13, and 15 choose an adaption corresponding to one of your favored enemies. Use for 10 minutes/day/Ranger level.

This replaces Favored Terrain.
  • Divine TrackerBlessings (Su): At 4th level, a divine tracker forms a close bond with his deity’s ethos. He selects two warpriest domains from among the domains granted by his deity, and gains the minor blessings of those domains. A divine tracker can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain. If a divine tracker isn’t devoted to a particular deity, he still selects two blessings to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities, subject to GM approval. The restriction on alignment domains still applies. A divine tracker uses his ranger level as his warpriest level to determine the effect of the blessing. At 13th level, a divine tracker gains the major blessing from both of his domains. This ability replaces hunter’s bond.

Planned Blessings of Erastil:
    Community - Communal Aid (minor): At 1st level, you can touch an ally and grant it the blessing of community. For the next minute, whenever that ally uses the aid another action, the bonus granted increases to +4. You can instead use this ability on yourself as a swift action.

Good - Holy Strike (minor): At 1st level, you can touch one weapon and bless it with the power of purity and goodness. For 1 minute, this weapon glows green, white, or yellow-gold and deals an additional 1d6 points of damage against evil creatures. During this time, it’s treated as good for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. This additional damage doesn’t stack with the additional damage from the holy weapon special ability.

Paladin Archetypes:

• Oath of VengeanceReda swore an oath of vengeance against all who ravage communities, and specifically against the giants who ravaged her community.

Channel Wrath (Su)
    When an oathbound paladin reach 4th level, she can spend two uses of her lay on hands ability to gain an extra use of smite evil that day. This ability has no effect for a paladin who does not have the smite evil ability.

This ability replaces channel positive energy.

Powerful Justice (Su)
    At 11th level, an oathbound paladin may spends one use of her smite evil ability to grant her allies within 10 feet the ability to smite evil, except they only gain the paladin’s bonus to damage, not her smite’s attack bonus or ability to bypass DR.

This ability replaces aura of justice.

Code of Conduct: Never let lesser evils distract you from your pursuit of just vengeance.

Oath Spells
    1st—wrath; 2nd—confess; 3rd—blessing of fervor; 4th—order’s wrath.

Class, FEATS, AND TRAITS

Paladin

Ranger

EitR Feats

• Detect Evil (At Will)
  • Smite Evil (1/day)
  • Divine Grace
  • Lay on Hands (4/day)
  • Favored Enemy (Giants)
  • Track
  • Wild Empathy
  • Combat Style (Archery)
  • Combat Expertise
  • Deadly Aim -2/+4
  • Power Attack
  • Weapon Finesse
  • Agile Maneuvers

Advancement Feats

Bonus Feats

Traits/Drawbacks

• Rapid Shot
  • Weapon Focus (Bows)
  • Skill Focus (Perception)
  • Precise Shot (Combat Style)
  • Giant Slayer
  • Elven Reflexes
  • Magical Knack (Ranger)
  • Sentimental

Reda Raedela - Paladin of the Bow

The Living Tree

Mud splashed from beneath her boot, the water soaking in and chilling her feet to numbness. Still she ran onward. The branches whipped at her, one tangling in her hair, another tripping her gait. Still she ran onward. Tears leaked from her eyes and fear gripped her heart, just as tightly as she gripped the wooden disc in her hand. And still she ran onward. There were giants back there. Giants and the body of her father, now quickly cooling in this bitter winter rain. And she was but a small girl, not yet full grown. So she ran, onward.

Years later she could still feel the press of that wooden token into her hand, her father passing on his faith as he urged her to "Run!" with breathless, hopeless desperation. Years later when she finally found her mother and tried to tell her the fate of that mortal she once loved, perhaps, she felt those same tears welling once more. That was a lost cause, because of course her elven mother had more important things to do with her magical theses and years upon years of life. What care to her were the affairs of these short-lived mercurial mortals?

Years later she sought out a giant as well, though she found the killing did little to sate her. She never found the ones who destroyed her hometown, just some wandering brute marauding near some other small village. At least she spared someone else that pain.

But in her immediate future as she ran and ran, far from the kindling-stick wreckage of that town, she came upon a calm glade. Warmer than it should have been in that winter, the rain soft and gentle, the grass still showing green. And in the middle an ancient tree, burned by fire but still standing tall, still full of life. And not only life, but Enlightenment. For, years later, she swore it was a messenger of Erastil, and she was known to never tell a lie.

That was the day (to her the same day she lost her father, though who can say how many hours she wandered) that she tied the wooden disc around her own neck, and prayed to old Deadeye for his wisdom. And she promised to protect Community, not just hers, but any that needed it. And to respect the traditions and the old ways, to care for the weak, and to value honesty and reputation over power and wealth. And for vengeance. Vengeance and death to those evil forces that ravage destroy communities. She still held her bow, but now she fought in the name of her God and her father, Erastil and Tobin.

And so she came to Sandpoint, a community near to where she began her journey, and by all accounts, one in need of a protector.

Appearance and Personality

A quick smile, slightly pointed ears, bright eyes, and long auburn hair. Rena wears mithril chain now, but still feels more comfortable in her old leathers. She's rarely seen without her bow, EmberSometimes called the Emberbough, and usually carries two blades on her belt, one heavy and one slender with a silvery blade. She wears an archery bracer laced onto her left wrist, and a well-made bladed cestus on the other forearm. Around her neck hangs a humble wooden holy symbol on a leather cord, unpretentious, well cared for, but clearly older than her.

She has a tendency to overthink things, to get lost in thought. Overwhelmed with self-doubt? Maybe just every now and then, but she hides it well. Sometimes memories bubble up of her youth, of the village before the giant attack, and suddenly her eyes will be damp. Even then she can flash her smile and keep moving forward. She doesn't try to flirt much, she just says what she thinks and does what needs doing. Spending much of her later youth fighting in the woods, semi-isolated, will do that to a girl. She tries to follow her Code as a Paladin, valuing Community, Cooperation, and Honesty. But beneath that she has a wrathful streak, sometimes enough to blind her to all but her vengeance. Though she isn't as gruff as some, she is a bit of a traditionalist.

The paladins of Erastil are gruff, strict traditionalists. They seek to preserve the integrity of rural life and communities. Their tenets include the following affirmations.

• My community comes first, and I will contribute to it all that I can. If I don’t give something back, who will?
  • I must offer the poor in my community assistance, but I may not do the work for them—instead, I must teach them to contribute to the settlement. It is only through cooperation that a community grows strong.
  • When danger threatens, I am not a fool. I seek first to make sure the weak and innocent are safe, and then I quell the danger.
  • I keep to the old ways, the true ways. I am not seduced by the lure of money or power. I remember that true honor comes from within, not from the accolades of others.
  • I remember that reputation is everything. Mine is pure and upstanding, and I will repair it if it is broken or tarnished. I stand by my decisions, and live so that none shall have cause to blame me.
  • I show respect to my elders, for they have done much. I show respect to the young, for they have much left to do. I show respect to my peers, for they carry the load. And I shall carry it with them.
  • I am honest, trustworthy, and stable. If I must leave my lands and community, before I go, I ensure that they will be tended in my absence. Even when duty calls, my duties to my home come first—letting them lapse makes me a burden on my people.

Mechanics and Role

Rena will likely stick with ranger levels moving forward, probably taking two more Paladin levels. She will focus on archery, though should be competent as a switch hitter as needed. She also brings some utility healing to the party with Lay on Hands. Her skills are spread out to be competent support in several areas, which will hopefully mesh well with the divine blessing of Community she gets later to help others.

I removed Luna the dog as a true animal companion, but hoping to have her still as a flavorful pet. Clearly I'll have to keep her out of combat, but maybe she can be waiting at home by the hearth when Reda takes a break. I've never played paladin or ranger beyond level 2 or had an animal companion, so trying to limit the complexity a little. I never know what to do with companions/familiars in 1e.

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

@hoverfrog I used the existing character sheet to build this character, but did modify two feat selections, assumed archetype selections, and changed her gear I want to write a touch more backstory as well.

Edit: Original dice were 11, 10, 17, 17, 14,15

Edit 2: Rerolled just in case for 15, 18, 10, 15, 12, 11 - it seems Reda was always destined for good stats. Not quite as good as guitarist's original rolls, but happy to use either set.

Modifications:

Ranger Archetypes Added: Divine Tracker, Infiltrator

Paladin Archetype changed from Divine Hunter to Oath of Vengeance

Combat Style Changed from TWF to Archery

Feats exchanged: Eldritch Heritage removed for Extra Channel, Quickdraw removed for Precise Shot (because of Combat Style change), Rapid Shot removed for Weapon Focus (Longbow), Skill Focus changed to Perception

Some skills redistributed.

Gear exchanged: +1 Bastard sword (2335gp), spare longbow (75gp), and Masterwork Barding (175gp) replaced with silver gladius (35gp), Cestus upgrade to Masterwork (300gp), sleeves of many garmentsmostly for date nights :) (200gp), wand of gravity bow (750gp), speed sheath (10gp), and +1 armor enhancement (1000gp), 20x blunt arrows (2gp), 20 more arrows (1gp), and silver and adamantine weapon blanches (110gp).

Selections by Level:

Level 1

Race: Half-Elf
-Adaptability: Skill Focus (Perception)
-Elven Immunities: Immune to Sleep, +2 v. Enchantments
-Keen Senses: +2 to Perception
-Low-Light Vision
-Multitalented: Two classes for FCB

Alignment and Deity: Lawful Good, Erastil

Traits:
-Elven Reflexes: +2 Initiative
-Giant Slayer: +1 to Bluff, Perception, Sense Motive, Attack, Damage v. Giant Subtype
-Magical Knack (Ranger): +2 to CL for Ranger spells

Drawback:
-Sentimental: -2 to perception and reflex against surprises

Level 1: Ranger (Divine Tracker, Infiltrator)
-HP: 10
-FCB: 1HP
-Favored Enemy (Giants)
-Advancement Feat: Weapon Focus (Longbow)
-Skills: 6 (Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Perception, Stealth, Knowledge (nature))
-BG Skills: 2 (Handle Animal, Craft (bows))

Level 2

Level 2: Ranger
-HP: 6
-FCB: 1HP
-Combat Style (Archery), Bonus Feat: Precise Shot
-Skills: 6 (Diplomacy, Heal, Perception, Stealth, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion))
-BG Skills: 2 (Handle Animal, Craft (bows))

Level 3

Level 3: Paladin (Oath of Vengeance)
-FCB: 1 Skill Point
-Advancement Feat: Rapid Shot
-Skills: 3 (Climb, Swim, Perception)
-BG Skills: 2 (Handle Animal, Craft (Bows))

Level 4

Level 4: Paladin
-Ability Score: Dex +1
-Skills: 3 (Diplomacy, Heal, Stealth)
-BG Skills: 2 (Handle Animal, Knowledge (nobility))

Level 5

Level 5: Paladin
-Feat: Extra Lay on Hands
-Skills: 3 (Intimidate, Perception, Stealth)
-BG Skills: 2 (Handle Animal, Knowledge (Geography))

Name
Stats, Optional
15; 18; 10; 15; 12; 11
reroll(3d6,1,below);reroll(3d6,1,below);reroll(3d6,1,below);reroll(3d6,1,below);reroll(3d6,1,below);reroll(3d6,1,below) [5,6,4]; [5,6,4,6,1,6,6]; [5,6,4,6,1,6,6,3,3,4]; [5,6,4,6,1,6,6,3,3,4,5,5,5]; [5,6,4,6,1,6,6,3,3,4,5,5,5,5,4,3]; [5,6,4,6,1,6,6,3,3,4,5,5,5,5,4,3,2,4,5]

Posted (edited)
image.png.817a81078d13b591cface815025309be.png

Reda Raedela - Half-Elf Paladin 3/Ranger 2

HP: 46/46 | AC: 20/15/15 | CMD: 22/17 | Speed: 30ft | Hero: 1/3 | Spells: 1

Initiative: +7 | Perception: +12 | Fort: +11 | Ref: +12 | Will: +6 | ImmunitiesSleep, Disease, Fear

Lay on Hands: 6/6 | AuraAura of Courage: +4 to save v. Fear for all allies within 10'

Aura of Good: Level 3
: 10' | Smite Evil: 1/1

Consumables | Spells | Abilities | Skills | Attacks | Conditions:

Words and such.

"Bob Loblaw's law blog."

OOC/Actions

Other:

Free:

Move:

Standard:

Full Round:

Swift:

Other:

Hands: Bow, Empty

Notes 

-Learned of a potential source of ghouls down the Foxglove River from a wizard name Caizarlu

Gear

Worn

-MW Backpack
-Belt Pouch
-Reversible Cloak
-Cold Weather Outfit
-+1 Mithril Shirt
-Speed Sheathe
-Efficient Quiver
-Holy Symbol

Weapons

-MW Cestus
-CI Gladius
-Silver Dagger
-Ember

Containers

Backpack

-Bedroll
-Blanket, Winter
-Sack
-Silk Rope
-Soap
-2x Torches
-3x Trail Rations
-Waterskin

Belt Pouch

-Adamantine Weapon Blanch
-2x Silver weapon blanch
-Flint and Steel
-2x Holy Water
-Whetstone
-10pp, 16gp, 11sp, 9cp

Posted (edited)

I removed Luna the dog (wolf) as a true animal companion, but hoping to have her still as a flavorful pet. I've never played paladin or ranger beyond level 2, or had an animal companion, so trying to limit the complexity a little. If she's a loved and valued member of the party mechanically I can take the feat again to get her back. The Sylvan bloodline felt a little out of place given Reda's parents were a wizard and a ranger. I'm not sure if there's another way to add an animal companion though.

Edit: Realized I forgot the character sheet. Adding that link now.

A standard Ranger gets Hunter's Bond at 4th with the option of take an animal companion. The Guide archetype swaps that out, removing the option. There are so many ways of gaining an animal companion that I wouldn't worry about it. There's even a paladin archetype, Chosen One, that grants a familiar. If you really want one later, I'm sure you'll find a way. Luna is a wolf but could be a dog if that's what you want.

Thanks. I read some of Reda's posts to get some character notes, but I'll have to see how Luna is described. I was picturing a wolf with a friendly, domesticated dog-like personality.

Character sheet is now linked from the app and on the post template.

Posted (edited)

@hoverfrog other than her beau, are there any NPCs Reda formed attachments with in the game thus far? Clergy of Erastil at the cathedral? A roommate or landlord? Does she have a place where she lives in Sandpoint?

Happy to fill in any gaps and build out her story, but thought I'd ask to keep continuity with anything that already exists.

Everybody stays at the Rusty Dragon so she knows Ameiko but she's quite distant from them since the death of her father and arrest of her brother. Sheriff Hemlock is a friendly, if gruff, face about town. The party know Father Zantus well but they've not really gotten to know many people.