Summer Adventure

desertfox

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 2

Ah! A woman burning with lust for him! Perfectly understandable, who could fail to be moved by such a splendid physical specimen such as himself? And anyway, everyone knows that women are slaves to their passions. Still, he can't shake the notion that there is something odd going on here...

... ah, but it would be rude to turn down a polite invitation, and no one shall ever accuse Coroebus of a lack of manners. He goes to the meeting place, though he straps on his sword before he goes, just in case he gets ambushed by a man-eating lamia or some such.

Edited by Sir Lazeabout (see edit history)
Name
Spirit
3; 5
explode(1d6,6)+2;explode(1d6,6)+2 [1]; [1,3]
Common Knowledge
2; 2
explode(1d4,4);explode(1d6,6) [2]; [2,2]

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Sir Lazeabout said:

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 2

Ah! A woman burning with lust for him! Perfectly understandable, who could fail to be moved by such a splendid physical specimen such as himself? And anyway, everyone knows that women are slaves to their passions. Still, he can't shake the notion that there is something odd going on here...

... ah, but it would be rude to turn down a polite invitation, and no one shall ever accuse Coroebus of a lack of manners. He goes to the meeting place, though he straps on his sword before he goes, just in case he gets ambushed by a man-eating lamia or some such.

In the bower, the lady slips her veil. She is no beauty, yet her grey-green eyes and tall, sinuous form are enticing. She reveals her name as Penelope, but in moments of telepathic communication refers to herself as (something like) ‘Jewel’. She flatters and teases the athlete in equal measure, seeming to know at once how to draw him to her.

Penelope initiates an intriguing affair with Coroebus, inviting him to meet her in pleasant spots around the lovely district. With each encounter, the location becomes more discrete and the liaison more intimate. During these meetings she reveals two things:

1. she knows from reading his thoughts that he is a spy for Micropolis, but is merely amused by this

2. she reveals the secret of Miletus that….

OOC

Another Favor to Coroebus for playing a bold game!

Penelope/ Jewel seems likely to reveal more. Coroebus needs play a canny game. Enticed as he is, he cannot fail to see that she is a risky prospect. He has three choices mechanically:

A. Cease the affair once he learns the (privated) secret revealed above. Which might be enough to barely justify the mission. Make a hard -2 persuade roll to exit without rancour.

B. Continue it as a flirtation, keeping his heart and mind safe as he can. Roll both SPI and SMA to do so, gleaning an extra secret or two. Make the same ‘exit’ persuade roll to part ways safely.

C. Continue the affair , seeking the role of seducer in which he can glean info but keep his own heart/ wits ( a v hard (-4) persuade to do so). Penelope will reveal all, though become terrifying in revenge if she is wooed and abandoned.

Failure in case B or C indicates that he falls under Penelope/Jewel’s spell, leaving play! Indicate in the roll title which option is being attempted. Charismatic edge applies for all persuade rolls.

Edited by desertfox (see edit history)

image.jpeg.e8831a97289eb3453ae63c49866162b9.jpegZorus

"Hoi! Fool! This is no time for a swim! Here, catch this rope and I'll haul you in. Best be quick about it, it's making it's way back around!" Zorus throws a rope out towards the hapless sailor. Once the sailor grabs the end of the rope, Zorus heaves and strains to pull the man in as quickly as he can.

Quick Stats

Parry: 6

Toughness: 7 (3)

Favor: 2

Full Stats

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4, Spirit d4, Strength d10, Vigor d8
Skills: Academics d4, Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Intimidation d4, Language ( Koine) d8, Notice d4, Performance d4, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Riding d4, Stealth d6, Survival d4
Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 6 (3)
Hindrances: Overconfident, Stubborn, Vengeful (minor) (1 Edge, 1 Attribute)
Edges: Legendary Hide (custom), Brawny (custom)
Weapons: Spiked Great Club, 6 javelins, wineskin, 5 days rations, sack
Language: Koine (native, d8) Lydian (d?)
Current Wealth: 44ah

Edited by Ace Bronson (see edit history)
Name
Throw the rope (athletics)
6; 10
explode(1d8,8,6);explode(1d6,6,6) [6]; [6,6,4]
Haul him in (Strength)
5; 2
explode(1d10,10,6)-2;explode(1d6,6,6)-2 [7]; [7,4]

spacer.pngCalix Maren

Pace: 5 (d4), Parry 5, Toughness 7 (2), Favor 1

As he began to enter the tunnel to explore, he paused, thinking he heard what no man wants to hear in such a situation. As he looked around, he watched in horror as a small crack began to widen and the noise from it got unbearably loud. Quickly scrambling backwards, Caliz emerged from the opening as the entire area collapsed, a rock striking the ankle of his bad leg as the empty space he had been in was suddenly filled with a crushing amount of rock and dirt.

Massaging his ankle, he sighed deeply, speaking out loud to noone in particular, mor eto drown out the echoing rumble in his head. "Well, that's that. I think I need a calming drink, hopefully without anything more serious than a brawling drunk." As he stood, he thought about where he could go. Nodding to himself, he headed for the hostel where the merchants spent time, thinking to maybe gather some kind of informaiton while he was trying to relax. After all, a drunken merchant was often good for not just lower prices, but news. And news of the are was exactly what he wanted.

Arriving at the hostel, he entered, taking a seat as he observed the others there, trying to measure them up for their worth and profession before offering to buy someone a drink.

Show Statblock

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Athletics d6, Battle d4, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Repair d8, Stealth d4, Survival d8, Taunt d4
Pace: 5; Running Die: d4; Parry: 5; Toughness: 7 (2)
Hindrances: Bad Luck, Loyal, Slow (minor)
Edges: Dark Ages Survivor, Feint
Armor: Scaled Leather Jerkin (Armor 2; Torso, Arms)
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str), Gladius (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6), Sling (Range 4/8/16, Damage d6, ROF 1)

Loyal

Special Abilities

• Languages Known: Latin (native), Aramaic, Celtic, Germanic, Islander, Koine, Literacy (Linear B), Lydian, Minoan

Advances

• Novice 1: Two Skills (Notice, Survival)

Favor (Bennies): 1

OOC: Thanks for bearing with me.... Looks like things are fairly clear sailing going forward, so will be posting more often.

Name
Notice
2; 5
explode(1d8,8);explode(1d6,6) [2]; [2,5]

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 2 3

Coroebus, feeling that he has pushed his luck far enough lately, seeks to end things amicably and does rather well at it, if he does say so himself. But then, untangling himself from an overzealous fan is something he's got plenty of experience with!

Name
Persuasion (option A)
-1; 8
explode(1d8,8)-2;explode(1d6,6)-2 [1]; [1,6,4]

23 hours ago, Ace Bronson said:

Zorus

"Hoi! Fool! This is no time for a swim! Here, catch this rope and I'll haul you in. Best be quick about it, it's making it's way back around!" Zorus throws a rope out towards the hapless sailor. Once the sailor grabs the end of the rope, Zorus heaves and strains to pull the man in as quickly as he can.

The mason gasps as he is drawn on deck. Those on board give a cheer, thanking Zorus for his prowess.

The serpent departs , deprived of its prey, and the boat soon reaches the island shore. The masons clamber up to a shelf of smooth grey rock that has already been partly quarried. They begin to hammer.

Zorus watches, but sees that another creature has appeared. A strange shape emerges from the waters close to the anchored boat. A lizard-like monster, as tall as a man, with a half dozen serpent heads. A Húdrā!

OOC

The monster is much smaller than the sea serpent, but its many fanged heads make it a menacing prospect. You can close and fight the monster hand to hand (parry 6, toughness 8), or climb out of reach and hurl javelins (a difficult, -2 athletics roll to clamber quickly out of harm’s reach, then 3 javelin hurls at TN4) . Or do something else.

9 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Calix Maren

As he began to enter the tunnel to explore, he paused, thinking he heard what no man wants to hear in such a situation. As he looked around, he watched in horror as a small crack began to widen and the noise from it got unbearably loud. Quickly scrambling backwards, Caliz emerged from the opening as the entire area collapsed, a rock striking the ankle of his bad leg as the empty space he had been in was suddenly filled with a crushing amount of rock and dirt.

Massaging his ankle, he sighed deeply, speaking out loud to noone in particular, mor eto drown out the echoing rumble in his head. "Well, that's that. I think I need a calming drink, hopefully without anything more serious than a brawling drunk." As he stood, he thought about where he could go. Nodding to himself, he headed for the hostel where the merchants spent time, thinking to maybe gather some kind of informaiton while he was trying to relax. After all, a drunken merchant was often good for not just lower prices, but news. And news of the are was exactly what he wanted.

Arriving at the hostel, he entered, taking a seat as he observed the others there, trying to measure them up for their worth and profession before offering to buy someone a drink.

Calix likely did not expect much from a hostel built at the edge of the city slum. But he is slightly shocked at the appearance of its customers. Most have the barbaric cast of local Lydians, bearded and heavily dressed rather than simply attired like the city’s Hellenic elite. They drink vinegary wine and a musty Lydian beverage brewed from barley. Most are poor traders from nearby settlements, in town for the day to sell a cart-load of acorns or a barrel of their smelly barley drink.

From careful observation, Calix notices several women , gathered in a particular corner, seated cross legged in a circle. These, he learns from a hostel worker, are village wise women who come to worship at the nearby shrine of Hecate. They are allowed to stay at the hostel for free, and are generally left alone by the local watch who appear to afford them a small level of respect.

OOC

It seems like an obvious lead. Why does the city grant these women a measure of freedom? What might Calix do next to follow up?

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 7:35 PM, Sir Lazeabout said:

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 2 3

Coroebus, feeling that he has pushed his luck far enough lately, seeks to end things amicably and does rather well at it, if he does say so himself. But then, untangling himself from an overzealous fan is something he's got plenty of experience with!

Coroebus manages to make a decorous retreat from the relationship, without causing Penelope offence.

When it is clear that their tryst has no future, the lady speaks to him using telepathy.

”I understand your decision, Coroebus. It is a good choice, for the lovers of the Best of Women become our servants. I am sad because I have enjoyed your companionship, and must now mate with a lesser man. But that is my burden. I will perform a last service for you. I warn you, without my support, you may well perish in the coming Trial. By custom, we ladies may reveal its nature to our favourites, and show a way to survive if we can. By the same custom, I cannot now help you since you have rejected me.”

”Flee to Micropolis and tell them the secret of our City, if any believe you. Your mission is accomplished. Anything further you learn, even if you survive, you will wish you had not learned.”

OOC

Fleeing, if you wish it, requires a bit of play acting to offer an excuse to hunt or drive outside the City walls. Roll persuade for this, no edge bonus.

Penelope will not try to hinder C in the trial if he chooses to continue, but it will be a possibly deadly event.

image.jpeg.e8831a97289eb3453ae63c49866162b9.jpegZorus

"By the Gods! Posiden is clearly wroth to be sending such beasts of the sea to harry us!" Zorus proclaims. He hefts his great club and motions for the men to stand back. "I, Zorus, shall slay this wretched monstrosity!"

He lets out a fearsome roar and charges to engage the Húdrā at the water's edge. The rocks are more slippery than he expected and his attack swings wide. He braces for the counter attack...

Quick Stats

Parry: 6

Toughness: 7 (3)

Favor: 2

Full Stats

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4, Spirit d4, Strength d10, Vigor d8
Skills: Academics d4, Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Intimidation d4, Language ( Koine) d8, Notice d4, Performance d4, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Riding d4, Stealth d6, Survival d4
Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 6 (3)
Hindrances: Overconfident, Stubborn, Vengeful (minor) (1 Edge, 1 Attribute)
Edges: Legendary Hide (custom), Brawny (custom)
Weapons: Spiked Great Club, 6 javelins, wineskin, 5 days rations, sack
Language: Koine (native, d8) Lydian (d?)
Current Wealth: 44ah

Edited by Ace Bronson (see edit history)
Name
Club Attack (Fighting)
1; 2
explode(1d8,8,6);explode(1d6,6,6) [1]; [1,2]

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Ace Bronson said:

Zorus

"By the Gods! Posiden is clearly wroth to be sending such beasts of the sea to harry us!" Zorus proclaims. He hefts his great club and motions for the men to stand back. "I, Zorus, shall slay this wretched monstrosity!"

He lets out a fearsome roar and charges to engage the Húdrā at the water's edge. The rocks are more slippery than he expected and his attack swings wide. He braces for the counter attack...

The monster, small as it is, is a fearsome sight close up. Its six heads thrash and lunge!

One fanged maw strikes , closing painfully on Zorus' shoulder.

OOC

Zorus is shaken by the bite. But as well as unshaking, he must also make a Hard (-2) STA roll or faint from its vile poison!

Name
hydra lunge head 1 
explode(1d6,6,4) 5
hydra lunge head 2 
explode(1d6,6,4) 3
hydra lunge head 3
explode(1d6,6,4) 5
hydra lunge head 4 
explode(1d6,6,4) 5
hydra lunge head 5 
explode(1d6,6,4) 6,3
hydra lunge head 6 
explode(1d6,6,4) 2
damage A
2; 9
explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [2]; [2,6,3]
damage B
4; 5
explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [4]; [4,5]
damage C
2; 1
explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [2]; [2,1]

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 3 2

First rule of pleasing the crowd - always leave them wanting more. As much as he's of course as brave as he is handsome and as stalwart as he's humble, Coroebus has to admit that all this talk about how doomed he is if he goes through with the trials unprepared are starting to feel foreboding. Possibly it is the gods warning him away from hubris and towards the virtue of knowing one's limitations? Either way, probably time to borrow a chariot and take it for a drive in the countryside, and then just keep driving until he reaches the sweet refuge of home...

Name
Persuasion
1; 2
explode(1d8,8);explode(1d6,6) [1]; [1,2]
Persuasion (Favour spent)
6; 4
explode(1d8,8);explode(1d6,6) [6]; [6,4]

spacer.pngCalix Maren

The fact that these women were offered the semblance of freedom even though they were outsiders intrigued Calix. He sipped on his wine, slowly so as not to overly dull his senses. He signaled the keeper, and as he approached, leaned a bit closer and spoke softly on his arrival. "Can you tell me anything about those women? They seem rather important to be staying here instead of in the wealthier quarters. No offense intended either my friend. I understand they are here to visit Hecate's temple. Are they Priestesses? "

He took another sip as he slipped some coins out of his meager pouch and slid them over to the tender. "I find it fascinating that the guards pay such deference to them. I would hope for that to be me receiving that kind of attention some day." He laughed and smiled, sipping yet again, trying to seem a bit tipsy as he did so so that his questions might not be taken in a suspicious manner.

Show Statblock

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Athletics d6, Battle d4, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Repair d8, Stealth d4, Survival d8, Taunt d4
Pace: 5; Running Die: d4; Parry: 5; Toughness: 7 (2)
Hindrances: Bad Luck, Loyal, Slow (minor)
Edges: Dark Ages Survivor, Feint
Armor: Scaled Leather Jerkin (Armor 2; Torso, Arms)
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str), Gladius (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6), Sling (Range 4/8/16, Damage d6, ROF 1)

Loyal

Special Abilities

• Languages Known: Latin (native), Aramaic, Celtic, Germanic, Islander, Koine, Literacy (Linear B), Lydian, Minoan

Advances

• Novice 1: Two Skills (Notice, Survival)

Favor (Bennies): 1

OOC: Maybe a Persuasion roll to urge more info? :)

Name
Persuasion
3; 1
explode(1d4,4); explode(1d6,6) [3]; [3,1]

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Sir Lazeabout said:

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 3 2

First rule of pleasing the crowd - always leave them wanting more. As much as he's of course as brave as he is handsome and as stalwart as he's humble, Coroebus has to admit that all this talk about how doomed he is if he goes through with the trials unprepared are starting to feel foreboding. Possibly it is the gods warning him away from hubris and towards the virtue of knowing one's limitations? Either way, probably time to borrow a chariot and take it for a drive in the countryside, and then just keep driving until he reaches the sweet refuge of home...

Coroebus has no difficulty in convincing his Lodge companions that he is off for a pleasant drive. The watch do not halt him as the vehicle glides from the city walls. Soon the city is at his back and Coroebus feels the excitement of the escapee.

Yet on the road ahead a figure suddenly appears. Cloaked and hooded like Penelope. Another of the Best of Women. The figure throws back her veil….

4 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Calix Maren

The fact that these women were offered the semblance of freedom even though they were outsiders intrigued Calix. He sipped on his wine, slowly so as not to overly dull his senses. He signaled the keeper, and as he approached, leaned a bit closer and spoke softly on his arrival. "Can you tell me anything about those women? They seem rather important to be staying here instead of in the wealthier quarters. No offense intended either my friend. I understand they are here to visit Hecate's temple. Are they Priestesses? "

He took another sip as he slipped some coins out of his meager pouch and slid them over to the tender. "I find it fascinating that the guards pay such deference to them. I would hope for that to be me receiving that kind of attention some day." He laughed and smiled, sipping yet again, trying to seem a bit tipsy as he did so so that his questions might not be taken in a suspicious manner.

The traders and other guests are wary of further conversation concerning the group, who they watch with a mixture of fear and loathing.

”Don’t speak of them,” a pulse trader says. “They read minds.”

Calix seems to have come to the end of another road. But he sees that the group of Hecate-worshippers are suddenly leaving, exiting the hostel in a furtive huddle.

OOC

If you wish to tail them, make a stealth roll to do so without being noticed. Also a notice to pick up any revealing conversation or movements.

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 2 0

Even the ancient Greeks knew better than to stop for skeevy-looking hitchhikers! Coroebus hollers at the horses to run faster...

Name
Riding
2; 3
explode(1d4,4);explode(1d6,6) [2]; [2,3]
Riding (Favour reroll)
1; 3
explode(1d4,4);explode(1d6,6) [1]; [1,3]
Riding (last Favour burning!)
7; 1
explode(1d4,4);explode(1d6,6) [4,3]; [4,3,1]