Summer Adventure

desertfox

spacer.pngCalix Maren

Pace: 5 (d4), Parry 5, Toughness 7 (2), Favor 1

As the women gathered themselves together to leave, Calix took one last drink before slipping out ahead of them. As he exited, he stepped over to the corner of the building, appearing to lean against it to catch his balance, but keeping an eye on the hostel's exit.

As the women exited, he began to follow them, keeping just far enough behind to try to go unnoticed, but still close enough for him to see and hear any conversation they were having.

Show Statblock

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Athletics d6, Battle d4, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Repair d8, Stealth d4, Survival d8, Taunt d4
Pace: 5; Running Die: d4; Parry: 5; Toughness: 7 (2)
Hindrances: Bad Luck, Loyal, Slow (minor)
Edges: Dark Ages Survivor, Feint
Armor: Scaled Leather Jerkin (Armor 2; Torso, Arms)
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str), Gladius (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6), Sling (Range 4/8/16, Damage d6, ROF 1)

Loyal

Special Abilities

• Languages Known: Latin (native), Aramaic, Celtic, Germanic, Islander, Koine, Literacy (Linear B), Lydian, Minoan

Advances

• Novice 1: Two Skills (Notice, Survival)

Favor (Bennies): 1

OOC: Here goes nothing, fingers crossed for sneaking around... LOL

Edited by Laird_Thorne (see edit history)
Name
Stealth
3; 10
explode(1d4,4); explode(1d6,6) [3]; [3,6,4]
Notice
7; 3
explode(1d8,8); explode(1d6,6) [7]; [7,3]

image.jpeg.e8831a97289eb3453ae63c49866162b9.jpegZorus

"Gah! loathsome beast!" Zorus bellows as he reels from the assault. He winces as one of the many heads finds purchase in his flesh and he feels the sting of the venom course through his veins.

OOC: I'd like to use a favor to become unshaken.

Quick Stats

Parry: 6

Toughness: 7 (3)

Favor: 1

Full Stats

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4, Spirit d4, Strength d10, Vigor d8
Skills: Academics d4, Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Intimidation d4, Language ( Koine) d8, Notice d4, Performance d4, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Riding d4, Stealth d6, Survival d4
Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 6 (3)
Hindrances: Overconfident, Stubborn, Vengeful (minor) (1 Edge, 1 Attribute)
Edges: Legendary Hide (custom), Brawny (custom)
Weapons: Spiked Great Club, 6 javelins, wineskin, 5 days rations, sack
Language: Koine (native, d8) Lydian (d?)
Current Wealth: 44ah

Edited by Ace Bronson (see edit history)
Name
Shaken Roll
3; 1
explode(1d4,4,6);explode(1d6,6,6) [3]; [3,1]
Venom Resist
3; 8
explode(1d10,10,6)-2;explode(1d6,6,6)-2 [5]; [5,6,4]

On 3/30/2024 at 1:28 PM, Laird_Thorne said:

Calix Maren

As the women gathered themselves together to leave, Calix took one last drink before slipping out ahead of them. As he exited, he stepped over to the corner of the building, appearing to lean against it to catch his balance, but keeping an eye on the hostel's exit.

As the women exited, he began to follow them, keeping just far enough behind to try to go unnoticed, but still close enough for him to see and hear any conversation they were having.

As they pick a path through the rubble of the slum, the witches halt several times to check the road behind them. Each time, Calix ducks into shadow.

Lulled by the security of the darkness and emptiness of the ruins, they speak openly of the night to come. Their descent into the passages beneath the Shrine of Hades. Their meeting with the 'Priestesses' from the Champions Quarter in the Cave of Making.

Approaching the Shrine, the hags suddenly turn into a narrow alley and immediately vanish. Calix finds a door, barred from the inside, that is their only possible egress.

OOC

Calix can make a Hard (-2) repair roll to lift the bar. Then a further notice and stealth to follow the women through some underground passages--secret tunnels, old sewers, water ducts--down into a sacred cave that has a view over the Bay.

12 hours ago, Ace Bronson said:

Zorus

"Gah! loathsome beast!" Zorus bellows as he reels from the assault. He winces as one of the many heads finds purchase in his flesh and he feels the sting of the venom course through his veins.

OOC: I'd like to use a favor to become unshaken.

OOC

Sure-- benny to shake is standard rules so probs there. You can attack immediately (as in now).

Monster is parry 6, toughness 8 as before. Some allies (two sailors, 2 masons) will join next round to share the aggro. But one really good thump will finish the combat here (hint).

We are getting to end of the action.

Zorus summons the resilience of his ancestors to shrug off the venom and regain his footing. He plants his feet firmly in the wet sand and heaves his mighty cudgel with all his might hoping to fell the creature with one blow.

OOC: club attack hits, 7 damage, so not enough to bypass toughness

Quick Stats

Favor: 1

Full Stats

Skills: Academics d4, Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Intimidation d4, Language ( Koine) d8, Notice d4, Performance d4, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Riding d4, Stealth d6, Survival d4

Name
Cudgel attack (fighting)
6; 2
explode(1d8,8,6);explode(1d6,6,6) [6]; [6,2]
Cudgel Damage
3; 4
explode(1d10,10,6);explode(1d8,8,6)+1 [3]; [3,3]

spacer.pngCalix Maren

Some kind of karmic advantage must have been at work for Calix because every time just before one or more of the women would look back to see if they were being followed, Calix was in a position to either quickly take a step to a side, duck behind rubble, or simply freeze moving to avoid being seen.

Hearing that they were meeting with other priestesses in a cavern made him nervous for some reason. Why would these women, outsiders and part of a somewhat shunned group of individuals skulk about in the middle of the night to meet someone already present in the community? Even though no one was around, he shook his head, mentally chastising himself for his actions, while still finding it nearly impossible to overcome the case of curiosity that had struck him.

As they disappeared through the door, Calix paused. He frowned at the barred door, running through options in his head as to how to defeat it when he spotted a narrow shard of wood whish reminded him of oak. Reaching down to pick it up, he quickly tested it's rigidness and found it perfect for what he had in mind. Working the wood quickly through the door's opening, he was able to manipulate the bar of the door just enough to open it before the piece of wood snapped. With a surprised look at his improvised tool actually working (he made a mental note of how to prevent that happening on any future work he did), he pulled the door open and slipped through.

As he made it through the door, he quickly looked around to find where the women had gone. As he did, he heard a faint echo of footsteps and followed them in that direction.

Show Statblock

Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Athletics d6, Battle d4, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Repair d8, Stealth d4, Survival d8, Taunt d4
Pace: 5; Running Die: d4; Parry: 5; Toughness: 7 (2)
Hindrances: Bad Luck, Loyal, Slow (minor)
Edges: Dark Ages Survivor, Feint
Armor: Scaled Leather Jerkin (Armor 2; Torso, Arms)
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str), Gladius (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6), Sling (Range 4/8/16, Damage d6, ROF 1)

Loyal

Special Abilities

• Languages Known: Latin (native), Aramaic, Celtic, Germanic, Islander, Koine, Literacy (Linear B), Lydian, Minoan

Advances

• Novice 1: Two Skills (Notice, Survival)

Favor (Bennies): 1

OOC:

Edited by Laird_Thorne (see edit history)
Name
Repair
4; 0
explode(1d8,8,6)-2;explode(1d6,6,6)-2 [6]; [6,2]
Notice
4; 1
explode(1d8,8,6);explode(1d6,6,6) [4]; [4,1]
Stealth
6; 3
explode(1d4,4,6);explode(1d6,6,6) [4,2]; [4,2,3]

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 7:17 PM, Ace Bronson said:

Zorus

Zorus summons the resilience of his ancestors to shrug off the venom and regain his footing. He plants his feet firmly in the wet sand and heaves his mighty cudgel with all his might hoping to fell the creature with one blow.

OOC: club attack hits, 7 damage, so not enough to bypass toughness

Zorus hears the thudding of steps on the beach behind him as allies rush to his side. But for another moment he is alone against the multi-headed monster!

Two of the heads strike. One closes its jaws on the hide of the Bronze Bull of Arcadon, ejecting its poison harmlessly. But a second pair of fangs lands on the hero's broad cheek. The dreadful bite tears him as the sting of poison sears.

OOC

I think I'd list your Toughness as 10 (3). Toughness= 6 (STA d8/2+2) +1 (brawny) +3 (hide). Has that convention changed in SWADE?

(If that's correct), with the extra damage that's a shake and one wound (just). Again, the poison requires a Hard (-2) stamina roll before the unshake can be attempted.

If the poison takes--i.e. Zorus fails his poison save-- he will fall unconscious but anyway be rescued from the fight by his allies.

If you wish you can end the adventure on that 'fade to black' note--without rolling I mean-- or play it out as you wish.

Edited by desertfox (see edit history)
Name
head A attack and damage 
10; 5; 1
explode(1d6,6,4) ; explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [6,4]; [6,4,5]; [6,4,5,1]
head B attack
2; 9; 3
explode(1d6,6,4);explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [2]; [2,6,3]; [2,6,3,3]
head C attack
1; 4; 2
explode(1d6,6,4) ;explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [1]; [1,4]; [1,4,2]
head D attack
1; 2; 5
explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [1]; [1,2]; [1,2,5]
head E attack
4; 3; 3
explode(1d6,6,4) ;explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [4]; [4,3]; [4,3,3]
head F attack
14; 7; 5
explode(1d6,6,4) ;explode(1d6,6,4); explode(1d6,6,4) [6,6,2]; [6,6,2,6,1]; [6,6,2,6,1,5]
extra damage 
explode(1d6,6,4) 2

6 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

Calix Maren

Some kind of karmic advantage must have been at work for Calix because every time just before one or more of the women would look back to see if they were being followed, Calix was in a position to either quickly take a step to a side, duck behind rubble, or simply freeze moving to avoid being seen.

Hearing that they were meeting with other priestesses in a cavern made him nervous for some reason. Why would these women, outsiders and part of a somewhat shunned group of individuals skulk about in the middle of the night to meet someone already present in the community? Even though no one was around, he shook his head, mentally chastising himself for his actions, while still finding it nearly impossible to overcome the case of curiosity that had struck him.

As they disappeared through the door, Calix paused. He frowned at the barred door, running through options in his head as to how to defeat it when he spotted a narrow shard of wood whish reminded him of oak. Reaching down to pick it up, he quickly tested it's rigidness and found it perfect for what he had in mind. Working the wood quickly through the door's opening, he was able to manipulate the bar of the door just enough to open it before the piece of wood snapped. With a surprised look at his improvised tool actually working (he made a mental note of how to prevent that happening on any future work he did), he pulled the door open and slipped through.

As he made it through the door, he quickly looked around to find where the women had gone. As he did, he heard a faint echo of footsteps and followed them in that direction.

Down, down delves Calix as he pursues the gleam of torchlight. He slinks through Stygian-dark passageways-- aquifers, secret passages -- before alighting on a ledge overlooking a coastal cave.

A score of witches assemble. Most are poor wise-women from the city's hinterland. But those officiating are tall, elegantly-hooded and -shrouded ladies from Miletus' finest quarter*.

"Sisters," the tallest woman speaks, throwing back her hood. The women shriek in terror and joy as they behold her. As as beautiful as she is hideous, her visage framed by a coiffure of writhing snakes. Surely the Medusa herself!

"This is our Cave of Making. Let us begin our work of mind creation. Meld our thoughts and make a monster as I have taught you. Tonight, no lesser Húdrā! Let us make a little Scylla before whom every Bay sailor will tremble!"

Then Medusa senses a presence and turns her baleful gaze towards the ledge.

OOC

*Calix would not be able to recognise the attire as belonging to the Best of Women (the wives of the Champions). But will likely work it out later with Coroebus's help.

Having discovered this key secret, Calix can flee successfully. Thus ending his adventure.

Zorus has underestimated this foe! The snakes strike with such speed and reach further than one would imagine. Zorus slaps himself on the face, willing himself to stay conscious and finish the fight, even as his eyesight begins to blur... "No!" This is not how it ends for Zorus! He grits his teeth and wills himself to stay on his feet. He raises his club for another strike and fights on.

OOC: Spending my last favor because I'm stubborn and want to kill this thing!

looks like I hit with 14 damage

Quick Stats

Favor: 0

Full Stats

Name
Poison resist
4; 0
explode(1d10,10,6)-2;explode(1d6,6,6)-2 [6]; [6,2]
Unshake Roll
3; 2
explode(1d4,4,4);explode(1d6,6,6) [3]; [3,2]
Club attack
7; 7
explode(1d8,8,6);explode(1d6,6,6) [7]; [7,6,1]
Club Damage
13; 1
explode(1d8,8,6)+1;explode(1d10,10,6) [8,4]; [8,4,1]

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ace Bronson said:

Zorus has underestimated this foe! The snakes strike with such speed and reach further than one would imagine. Zorus slaps himself on the face, willing himself to stay conscious and finish the fight, even as his eyesight begins to blur... "No!" This is not how it ends for Zorus! He grits his teeth and wills himself to stay on his feet. He raises his club for another strike and fights on.

OOC: Spending my last favor because I'm stubborn and want to kill this thing!

looks like I hit with 14 damage

The mighty club descends, splattering monster flesh!

Zorus watches in amazement as the creature begins to unravel. First, it spreads as a stinking pile of reptilian entrails. Then , shimmers like an object in a heat haze. After a few moments it winks out of sight completely.

The sailors and masons arrive in time to watch the strange scene.

”Truly,” says the old mason, “the age of wonders and heroes has not passed. Zorus has slain a húdrā before our eyes. But as to its provenance and strange disappearance, who can tell?”

……….….

The three heroes make good their escape from serpent-cursed Miletus, passing at last to the sanctuary of their dear home polis. Micropolis’ general quickly hears of their return and summons the heroes to give a report of their dangerous mission.

OOC

The three meet at Coroebus’ house to discuss what they have learned. IC, in a couple or so sentences , succinctly state what you think you have learned about Miletus and its workings. There have been a couple of privated events in individual texts so there may be a gap or two to share.

I’ll assess the quality of the ‘intel’ , based on what you managed to summarise. And assume forms the content of your report.

There are rewards and honours in the offing! In in-game terms these might involve honours, special training, appointment to a City office or such. OOC, the mechanical rewards will be as follows:

poor intel ( not much figured out): no advances yet

good intel (some key ideas figured out) : characters get one advance each

exceptional intel (Miletus busted): special training / initiations permit two advances each !

Zorus is grateful to return to Micropolis, not caring much for intrigue and politics. He speaks up to share his bit of knowledge, "From my place as a craftsman, not all is as well as it seems in Miletus. Where I expected to be building and expanding, as often as not we were downsizing structures to account for the decreasing trade and activity that was coming through. I accompanied a party of masons to a nearby island and that is where the most astounding of things occurred. We were beset by a sea serpent of legends which we narrowly evaded. Then on the beach we were assailed by a mythical hudra. I could scarcely believe my eyes and perhaps I wouldn't have but for the savage bites and vile poison it inflicted on me when I gave battle. When I struck the killing blow it seemed to vanish into thin air, leaving me wondering about my own mental clarity. Something is clearly amiss in this land of Milietus and I suspect the snakemen are behind it. Hopefully those of you who are more clever and astute were able to ascertain more than I."

Quick Stats

Favor: 0

Full Stats

OOC

I’ll move it straight to the meeting with the Strategos so I can give feedback IC. This is a ‘good’ report according to the criteria I posted above.

“This is a useful report, Zorus. We expected no less from you. We knew it would be a hard task for you to blend into the shadows , giant as you are. Let me hear the other two accounts, and I will pose some questions.”

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 0

"Through the application of my virility and manly charms," Coroebus says modestly, "I managed to discover that Miletus is secretly ruled by a sinister (but nubile) sisterhood called the Best of Women. It is they that choose who will become a snakeman, and it may be that the snakemen are entirely their tools. Furthermore, they wield strange powers, able to pluck a man's thought from his mind like olives out of a bowl! It may be that the monsters of legend that good Zorus faced were somehow conjured into being by them - maybe even that they were not real, but only waking dreams inspired by the Best's wiles."

Posted (edited)

OOC

That's a nicely written bit of monologue, in addition to its accuracy.

The Strategos reels in amazement.

"Surely, I did not expect a revelation such as this! Miletus has fallen to the machinations of she-serpents. Even the snakemen themselves servants and mutations of their witch power? And capable of birthing monsters from their own nous? "

"And yet it explains so much..."

Posted (edited)

Calix is absent from the Strategos’s meeting, exhausted by his mistreatment in the Miletus labour gang. A piece of the puzzle remains missing.

But, to the heroes’ surprise, doll-like Eritha appears. Unknown to them, she remained in Miletus, spying on events from the foreign merchants’ quarters outside the City’s walls.

She explains that she saw poor folk arriving from the countryside to trade in the agora. Some of these visitors were cultists of a snake religion. They claimed to be adherents of Hecate, a feared but respectable goddess in the Hellenic tradition. But were in truth disciples of a serpent cult nurtured by the noble women of Miletus. Some witches boasted to Eritha that they would meet with the noblewomen in a sea cave beneath the city to summon serpentine monsters. Using the power of their dark imaginations and collective psyche.

OOC

I think we’ll keep it to a single ‘free’ advance on this occasion. However, in addition to the advance, the Strategos can offer ONE training opportunity from the following, which he feels are areas that will increase your usefulness to the City:

—Naval training. Boating, training aboard the city’s single warship.

—Academic training, learning from Micropolis’s grey bearded philosopher-historian:Common Knowledge or Occult.

—Chariot training. Driving/riding, taking lessons from a charioteer. ‘Horseback’ riding is considered a ‘trick’ hereabouts.

—Archery. Shooting, taking lessons from a big show-off at the gymnasium.

Training increases your skill die type by one step (to d4 if you start with no skill), controlled by the linked attribute as usual.