Milo James Thatch - Human (Mark of Making) Artificer

spacer.pngName: Milo James Thatch

Race: Human (Mark of Making)

Class: Artificer (Artillerist)

Background: Sage

Kingdom: Lost Empire of Atlantis

Personality: There's nothing I like more than a good mystery.

Ideal: Self-Improvement. The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself.

Bond: I work to preserve a library, university, scriptorium, or monastery.

Flaw: I speak without thinking, sometimes insulting or confusing others.

Background

Milo James Thatch was orphaned as a young boy and taken in by his paternal grandfather. Thing is his grandfather was the legendary scholar Thaddeus Thatch known and respected in the fields of archeology and cartography. Growing up, Milo was exposed and developed the same love his grandfather had for all things of history and antiquities. His formal education would take him to many prestigious academies where it was languages that he excelled at. Despite his expertise and accomplishments, he only managed to land a job at the Smithsonian Institute working in the archives cataloging the museum's collection. This only by the reputation of his late grandfather.

His luck would change when he was recruited by Preston Whitmore, a friend of his grandfather and respected explore who had an opportunity of a life time. Thanks to a discovery called the Shepard's Journal, detailing the location and way to find the lost city of Atlantis. Joining an expedition organized by Whitmore, Milo would make the needed breaks to find the lost city and even befriended one of the royals, princess Kidagaksh Nedkh (or Kida). Yet rather than a scholarly pursuit, Milo would come to learn that the team was there to only plunder the treasures of Atlantis, taking the very heart of the city which was a powerful source of energy and a potential weapon.

Milo was able to thwart their plans and save the city in the process. When his compatriots decided to return to the surface Milo chose to stay behind to help the people of Atlantis recover their lost history for he was only able to read and understand their ancient language. In this, a close relationship with Kida formed and he became something of a consort to the new Queen of Atlantis while being made a court historian and teacher to the Atlantians.

Yet in his research and further understanding of Atlantis' unusual but advanced technology, he made a profound discovery. Atlantis at one point held contact with beings of other lands and worlds not of their own planet. Before its collapse, Atlantis had entered a golden era of exploration and contact with other realms. Yet the pathways to these lands were closed in Atlantis's collapse. Milo was able to figure out and reconstruct the technology to open the gateways to these other worlds. With the queen's permission, one of the reconstructed gates was activated opening a portal to a place known as the Mage's Towers.

Initial meetings with the locals was a challenge at first but Milo, whom had lead the expedition, was able to communicate with the locals and act as an ambassador of sorts. Since then, Milo has become something of a full time resident at the Mage's Towers leading to the sharing of knowledge and teaching the locals of this strange and wondrous magic of their world called technology.

Edited by Master_Enceladus (see edit history)

Well, its old Milo from Atlantis the Lost Empire. A very underrated movie.

On the mechanics did have a few questions. The Mark of Making Humans from Eberron will probably need review but frankly I am fine with ditching the extra spells. But the race seemed to make sense for the character.

As to other things, wanted to clarify if feats and ASI were both being given? The character creation information seemed to indicate as such but wanted to double check before working on mechanics.

So considering I'm allowing people to reskin other humanoid races with different abilities because people can present a proper fluffing of the abilities to make it sound reasonable for that character, I will judge Dragonmarked races under those same ideas.

Upon review of the race and judging what class you are putting it with, I will allow the combination to stay as is, simply because you are only really only unlocking access to two spells, Tenser's Floating Disc, and Conjure Barrage (the rest are all on the Artificer's spell list) which really isn't that much to throw things off balance and like you said the abilities make sense for Milo

As for Feats and ASI both being given, in a way that is correct but it's not as simple as earn an ASI, earn a feat. Players gets feats at Character Levels 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19 and they get Ability Score increases as determined by their classes, but they cannot trade those ASIs for feats, they must be taken as ASIs.

So really people only get two feats to play with no matter what they do with their classes even if they do a multiclass of 3/3 or something weirder, but they only get their scores increased if they stick with a class to its normal progression.

Scans over the app and backstory. Hmm... backstory looks fine, sheet look straight forward... hmm? Spells seems a little off why is that?... oh I see... just a minor adjustment, at level 3 and 5 you get additional always prepared spells in the form of Shield, Thunder Wave, Scorching Ray, and Shatter as your Artillerist Spells. Make sure you note them down.

All and all call this app reviewed and passing the checkpoint