Questions & Chat

Kamishiro_Rin

Hi there, I see that you aren't allowing backgrounds that provide Feats - would it be possible to take such a background if I were a Variant Human or Tasha's Custom race and used my racial Feat to provide the 'fuel' as it were. Essentially being a Human who chose that Feat, and took the BG for the flavor and proficiency package but doesn't get a Feature to speak of?

1 hour ago, Quint Essence said:

Hi there, I see that you aren't allowing backgrounds that provide Feats - would it be possible to take such a background if I were a Variant Human or Tasha's Custom race and used my racial Feat to provide the 'fuel' as it were. Essentially being a Human who chose that Feat, and took the BG for the flavor and proficiency package but doesn't get a Feature to speak of?

Ooh! I just now noticed that the Giant Foundling and the Rune Carver backgrounds come with feats. I think I'll need to revise my rules. Thanks for the catch.

Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos’s Witherbloom Student, Silverquill Student, Quandrix Student, Prismari Student, and Lorehold Student; Sigil and the Outlands’s Planar Philosopher and Gate Warden; Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen’s Mage of High Sorcery and Knight of Solamnia; The Book of Many Things’s Ruined and Rewarded; and, Astral Adventurer’s Guide’s Wildspacer and Astral Drifter backgrounds all come from supplements that aren’t allowed.

Oooh, you're putting up another game? Color me interested.

Considering the topic, I'm tempted to build a Fighter / Rune Knight who later can go toe to toe with the giants -- or even better, grapple them into submission. But as fun as the idea sounds, I think I'll keep to more familiar territory.

So many options, so many possibilities.

•    Choose a—preferably dark—color that represents your character; one that stands out nicely against the default parchment background. Please avoid light colors that disappear against it, or bright colors that vibrate.

Is orange too bright? Would you prefer something like this instead?

Sorry to bother again, but in the application - what type of info should be written under Origin as opposed to Backstory? While not synonyms, my mind is a bit hazy on the separation of concepts.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Quint Essence said:

Sorry to bother again, but in the application - what type of info should be written under Origin as opposed to Backstory? While not synonyms, my mind is a bit hazy on the separation of concepts.

THat's a hold-over from copypasting it. Origin is not part of the app form. Just an accidental left-in from the example. I've edited it out of the example. Thanks for the catch!

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

@Kamishiro_Rin I have a rule question I'd like to clarify in advance.

What happens if a druid casts Enlarge on themselves (as an action) and immediately wild shapes (as a bonus action)?

1. The druid's form grows, just before it assumes the wild shape form, which is also larger than normal. If the wild shape ends before the enlarge, the enlarge persists.
  2. Both effects happen at the same time, leaving an enlarged wild shape form. Same as above if the wild shape ends early.
  3. The druid's form grows, but the wild shape turns out to be normal for its size. If the wild shape ends early, the druid for is still enlarged.
  4. The druid's form grows, but the wild shape turns out to be normal for its size. If the wild shape ends early, the druid form is regular sized. Essentially, the wild shape overwrote the effects of the Enlarge.

I'd like to argue for nr 1 or 2. Preferably nr 2 fluff-wise, but it doesn't really matter. If it was a negative effect (say, an enemy casting Reduce on the druid), it would persist through the wild shape, so why not a positive effect as well?

There are more complicated arguments back and forth, but in the end, it's the GM's call to make.

5 hours ago, Ayeba said:

@Kamishiro_Rin I have a rule question I'd like to clarify in advance.

What happens if a druid casts Enlarge on themselves (as an action) and immediately wild shapes (as a bonus action)?

1. The druid's form grows, just before it assumes the wild shape form, which is also larger than normal. If the wild shape ends before the enlarge, the enlarge persists.
  2. Both effects happen at the same time, leaving an enlarged wild shape form. Same as above if the wild shape ends early.
  3. The druid's form grows, but the wild shape turns out to be normal for its size. If the wild shape ends early, the druid for is still enlarged.
  4. The druid's form grows, but the wild shape turns out to be normal for its size. If the wild shape ends early, the druid form is regular sized. Essentially, the wild shape overwrote the effects of the Enlarge.

I'd like to argue for nr 1 or 2. Preferably nr 2 fluff-wise, but it doesn't really matter. If it was a negative effect (say, an enemy casting Reduce on the druid), it would persist through the wild shape, so why not a positive effect as well?

There are more complicated arguments back and forth, but in the end, it's the GM's call to make.

The rules for this have been clarified actually. What happens is you enlarge yourself then you wild shape back into a size that the creature naturally fills. If you want to be a large creature what you have to do is wild shape and then have someone else cast enlarge/reduce on your wild shaped form.

18 minutes ago, Master_Enceladus said:

@Kamishiro_Rin A small clarification. In the "About This Game" there is mention of starting at level 5. Is this a typo?

Argh! Thank you for the catch! I'll correct that. But to be sure, you're starting at 1st level, not 5th.

I chose the human variant for the bonus feat, I have a dwarven rune knight in a level 17 tabletop game, but when I saw the two feats listed in the background, I was like.. wait, why doesn't my dwarf have these LOL so I chose human. The Rune Carver background lets me get the Rune Shaper feat without meeting the spellcaster requirement, and then Strength of Giants only requires martial proficiency.

Makes perfect combo for a Rune Knight.

I will ask this, because to be honest Rune Knight is fun, because I am already level 17, but it doesn't shine like some of the other Fighter Martial Archetypes. There's a suggested fix that was put out, but since it's considered homebrew I don't know if you would allow it.
Rune Knight (done Properly)

Although for some reason it looks wonky lol.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)