Questions & Chat

Kamishiro_Rin

19 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

I chose the human variant for the bonus feat, I have a dwarven rune knight in a level 17 tabletop game, but when I saw the two feats listed in the background, I was like.. wait, why doesn't my dwarf have these LOL so I chose human. The Rune Carver background lets me get the Rune Shaper feat without meeting the spellcaster requirement, and then Strength of Giants only requires martial proficiency.

Makes perfect combo for a Rune Knight.

I will ask this, because to be honest Rune Knight is fun, because I am already level 17, but it doesn't shine like some of the other Fighter Martial Archetypes. There's a suggested fix that was put out, but since it's considered homebrew I don't know if you would allow it.
Rune Knight (done Properly)

Although for some reason it looks wonky lol.

Sorry! I'm not allowing homebrew.

17 minutes ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

Sorry! I'm not allowing homebrew.

Yeah, I am just stating that the Rune Knight is somewhat underpowered compared to other classes, but it's flavorful. Echo night, Eldritch Knight etc offer better incentives. The only reason I am considering the rune knight again, is because the feats in question just make it much nicer.
These feats should have been an actual Rune Knight class feature. The Strength of Giants is usable every turn, yet Rune knight can only use 1 of his runes 1/day and long rest at the start.

My current GM buffed up the Rune Knight because it was honestly lacking. Well the fighter stuff at least. I think there's a beta test going on for 5e rebuffing classes. I will have to ask him where he found it.

Here's a thing about the 2024 5e update

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

The rules for this have been clarified actually. What happens is you enlarge yourself then you wild shape back into a size that the creature naturally fills. If you want to be a large creature what you have to do is wild shape and then have someone else cast enlarge/reduce on your wild shaped form.

The question has been clarified? I'll accept your ruling regardless; it's your game. But if the ruling is official, it affects another game I'm in.

Does this apply to other magical effects that affects the druid's body? To make an example, if a druid fails their saving throw against Blindness/Deafness and wild shapes, would the effect stop because the spell affected the druid's senses but they have been replaced by the beasts' senses?

I'm also wondering if this applies to any other beneficial spell the druid casts, like for example Enhance Ability or Barkskin.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

55 minutes ago, Master_Enceladus said:

@Kamishiro_Rin Out of curiosity, would the side kick rules from Tasha's be an option for a character? Looking to do something a little different.

I'll look into it, but I don't want to say yes or no right now.

46 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

The question has been clarified? I'll accept your ruling regardless; it's your game. But if the ruling is official, it affects another game I'm in.

Does this apply to other magical effects that affects the druid's body? To make an example, if a druid fails their saving throw against Blindness/Deafness and wild shapes, would the effect stop because the spell affected the druid's senses but they have been replaced by the beasts' senses?

I'm also wondering if this applies to any other beneficial spell the druid casts, like for example Enhance Ability or Barkskin.

To be clear, at 18th level, you can cast spells whilst wild-shaped.

In the example in your follow-up question, your animal form would then be able to see/hear, but when you reverted back to your human form within the 1-minute duration of the spell, you would be blind/deaf again.

Enhance Ability would continue to work on you regardless of your form because it merely confers advantage on the selected checks. Barkskin changes the AC formula, so it would cease, since that AC formula would be replaced by your animal form's statistics.

2 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

To be clear, at 18th level, you can cast spells whilst wild-shaped.

In the example in your follow-up question, your animal form would then be able to see/hear, but when you reverted back to your human form within the 1-minute duration of the spell, you would be blind/deaf again.

Enhance Ability would continue to work on you regardless of your form because it merely confers advantage on the selected checks. Barkskin changes the AC formula, so it would cease, since that AC formula would be replaced by your animal form's statistics.

I think I get the gist of it, and it sounds reasonable to me.

Have you said anything about Wild Shape forms anywhere? This will be my first time playing a Moon druid, and I know that some GMs restrict the available animal forms somewhat.

2 hours ago, Ayeba said:

I think I get the gist of it, and it sounds reasonable to me.

Have you said anything about Wild Shape forms anywhere? This will be my first time playing a Moon druid, and I know that some GMs restrict the available animal forms somewhat.

Sorry, I was typing up my response to you and wanted to go into a little more detail, but I had a dentist appointment that I ended up having to rush off to.

So, the basically, when you wild-shape, you assume all the game statistics of the animal you’re turning into, except mental stats and skills you have. Because size is one of those game statistics, if you were to first cast enlarge/reduce upon yourself, you’d first grow large, then you’d wild-shape into something with its own size category, so you’d then either remain the same (because you can turn into large beasts, as well!) or you would shrink back to medium if you wild-shaped into a medium-sized beast. The enlarge/reduce spell also seems to have a singular enlargement event, which you then maintain through concentration, not a continual enlargement. Thus, even worse, going by RAW, if you were to wild-shape, then turn back into a human, you’d be medium, not large, even though you maintained concentration on the spell throughout your wild-shape.

To generalize: if a spell affects any game statistic that gets replaced by a beast’s game statistics when you wild-shape, then you could lose the effects of that spell regardless of the concentration. I say “could” because you have to pay close attention to the wording of each spell. For enlarge/reduce, the key wording is: “You cause a creature or an object you can see within range to grow larger or smaller for the duration.” It’s super pedantic, but “grow” is a change of state from one size to another; in other words, it’s a one-time event. The concentration on the spell merely maintains the result of that event. This is further implied by the fact that any item you drop immediately reverts to its original size, even though you’re still concentrating on the spell.

For barkskin, the wording is: “Until the spell ends, the target’s skin has a rough, bark-like appearance, and the target’s AC can’t be less than 16, . . .”. This spell’s effect lasts from beginning to end. It doesn’t cause a one-time event like enlarge/reduce does. UNFORTUNATELY, this spell has an AC formula as its mechanical component. When you wild-shape, the beast’s AC formula replaces any AC formula you currently have on you.

Now, you might ask, “Can I prepare to cast enlarge/reduce on myself as a reaction whose trigger is my wild-shaping?” My answer is “No” for the same reason that you can’t wild-shape into a bear and then cast the spell—or any spell!—preparing merely moves the casting from your action to a reaction, both occurring after you’ve wild-shaped.

Alright! Sorry about all that blather.

NOW! On to your next question. I’ll add my answer, here, to my FAQ.

In general I don’t want to restrict you too much, but I also want to maintain verisimilitude. To that, please pick two environments where your character has encountered various animals, and take the list from those environments. Any beast that has no listed environment—the “None:” tag—appears on all the environment tables, within reason. For example, because “peacock” has no environment tag, it technically appears on the Arctic list, too . . . except that that’s just stupid, so no, it does not.

Sorry! No Dinosaurs. They break verisimilitude.

Arctic:

Owl - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM

Giant Owl - 1/4 - MM

Brown Bear - 1 - MM

Polar Bear - 2 - MM
Saber-Toothed Tiger - 2 - MM

Mammoth - 6 - MM

Coastal:

Crab - 0 - MM
Eagle - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM
Dolphin - 1/8 - MPMM
Giant Crab - 1/8 - MM
Poisonous Snake - 1/8 - MM

Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM
Giant Wolf Spider - 1/4 - MM

Giant Eagle - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM

Desert:

Cat - 0 - MM
Hyena - 0 - MM
Jackal - 0 - MM
Scorpion - 0 - MM
Vulture - 0 - MM

Camel - 1/8 - MM
Flying Snake - 1/8 - MM
Mule - 1/8 - MM

Constrictor Snake - 1/4 - MM
Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM
Giant Poisonous Snake - 1/4 - MM

Giant Hyena - 1 - MM
Giant Spider - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM
Giant Vulture - 1 - MM
Lion - 1 - MM

Giant Constrictor Snake - 2 - MM

Giant Scorpion - 3 - MM

Forest:

Baboon - 0 - MM
Badger - 0 - MM
Cat - 0 - MM
Deer - 0 - MM
Hyena - 0 - MM
Owl - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM
Flying Snake - 1/8 - MM
Giant Rat - 1/8 - MM
Giant Weasel - 1/8 - MM
Mastiff - 1/8 - MM

Boar - 1/4 - MM
Elk - 1/4 - MM
Giant Badger - 1/4 - MM
Giant Bat - 1/4 - MM
Giant Frog - 1/4 - MM
Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM
Giant Owl - 1/4 - MM
Panther - 1/4 - MM
Wolf - 1/4 - MM

Ape - 1/2 - MM
Black Bear - 1/2 - MM
Giant Wasp - 1/2 - MM

Brown Bear - 1 - MM
Dire Wolf - 1 - MM
Giant Hyena - 1 - MM
Giant Spider - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM
Tiger - 1 - MM

Cave Bear - 2 - MM
Giant Boar - 2 - MM
Giant Elk - 2 - MM

Grassland:

Cat - 0 - MM
Deer - 0 - MM
Eagle - 0 - MM
Goat - 0 - MM
Hyena - 0 - MM
Jackal - 0 - MM
Vulture - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM
Flying Snake - 1/8 - MM
Giant Weasel - 1/8 - MM

Axe Beak - 1/4 - MM
Boar - 1/4 - MM
Cow - 1/4 - VGM
Elk - 1/4 - MM
Ox (Cattle) - 1/4 - MPMM
Panther - 1/4 - MM
Riding Horse - 1/4 - MM
Rothé - 1/4 - VGM
Wolf - 1/4 - MM

Giant Goat - 1/2 - MM
Giant Wasp - 1/2 - MM

Giant Eagle - 1 - MM
Giant Hyena - 1 - MM
Giant Vulture - 1 - MM
Lion - 1 - MM
Tiger - 1 - MM

Aurochs (Cattle) - 2 - MPMM
Giant Boar - 2 - MM
Giant Elk - 2 - MM
Rhinoceros - 2 - MM

Elephant - 4 - MM

Hill:

Baboon - 0 - MM
Eagle - 0 - MM
Goat - 0 - MM
Hyena - 0 - MM
Raven - 0 - MM
Vulture - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM
Giant Weasel - 1/8 - MM
Mastiff - 1/8 - MM
Mule - 1/8 - MM

Axe Beak - 1/4 - MM
Boar - 1/4 - MM
Elk - 1/4 - MM
Giant Owl - 1/4 - MM
Panther - 1/4 - MM
Wolf - 1/4 - MM

Giant Goat - 1/2 - MM

Brown Bear - 1 - MM
Dire Wolf - 1 - MM
Giant Eagle - 1 - MM
Giant Hyena - 1 - MM
Lion - 1 - MM

Giant Boar - 2 - MM
Giant Elk - 2 - MM

Mountain:

Eagle - 0 - MM
Goat - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM

Giant Goat - 1/2 - MM

Giant Eagle - 1 - MM
Lion - 1 - MM

Giant Elk - 2 - MM

None:

(All of these can appear on
any other list, within reason)

Almiraj - 0 - ToA
Bat - 0 - MM
Crow - 0 - WDMM
Falcon - 0 - WDH
Fish - 0 - GoS
Flying Monkey - 0 - ToA
Fox - 0 - IDRotF
Frog - 0 - MM
Hare - 0 - IDRotF
Hawk - 0 - MM
Kingsport - 0 - IDRotF
Knucklehead Trout - 0 - IDRotF
Lizard - 0 - MM
Octopus - 0 - MM
Peacock - 0 - BGDIA
Pig - 0 - SKT
Rooster - 0 - JttRC
Sea Horse - 0 - MM
Seal - 0 - IDRotF
Sheep - 0 - SKT
Spider - 0 - MM
Weasel - 0 - MM
Wild Dog - 0 - ToA

Mountain Goat - 1/8 - IDRotF

Cave Badger - 1/4 - OotA
Giant Riding Lizard - 1/4 - OotA
Giant Snail - 1/4 - WBtW
Golden Stag - 1/4 - HotDQ
Reindeer - 1/4 - IDRotF
Sled Dog - 1/4 - RoT
Walrus - 1/4 - IDRotF
Yak - 1/4 - SKT
Zebra - 1/4 - ToA

Giant Canary - 1/2 - FTD
Giant Dragonfly - 1/2 - WBtW
Giant Sea Eel - 1/2 - GoS

Giant Flying Spider - 1 - WDMM
Giant Raven - 1 - SKT
Giant Rocktopus - 1 - OotA
Giant Swan - 1 - WBtW
Ice Spider - 1 - SKT
Snow Leopard - 1 - TftYP
Spider King - 1 - OotA
Young Winter Wolf - 1 - TftYP

Giant Crayfish - 2 - TftYP
Giant White Moray Eel - 2 - GoS
Huge Polar Bear - 2 - TftYP
Ice Spider Queen - 2 - SKT
Relic Sloth - 2 - SCC
Young Bulette - 2 - PotA

Giant Lightning Eel - 3 - TftYP
Giant Snapping Turtle - 3 - ToA
Spotted Lion - 3 - BGG

Giant Coral Snake - 4 - GoS
Giant Subterranean Lizard - 4 - TftYP
Giant Walrus - 4 - IDRotF

Elder Giant Lizard - 5 - TftYP
Hulking Crab - 5 - SKT
Titanothere - 5 - BGG

Swamp:

Rat - 0 - MM
Raven - 0 - MM

Giant Rat - 1/8 - MM

Giant Frog - 1/4 - MM
Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM

Crocodile - 1/2 - MM

Giant Spider - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM

Giant Crocodile - 5 - MM

Underdark:

Giant Fire Beetle - 0 - MM

Giant Rat - 1/8 - MM

Deep Rothé (Cattle) - 1/4 - MPMM
Giant Bat - 1/4 - MM
Giant Centipede - 1/4 - MM
Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM

Giant Spider - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM

Cave Bear - 2 - MM
Polar Bear - 2 - MM

Underwater:

Quipper - 0 - MM

Dolphin - 1/8MP - MM

Giant Sea Horse - 1/2 - MM
Reef Shark - 1/2 - MM

Giant Octopus - 1 - MM

Hunter Shark - 2 - MM

Killer Whale - 3 - MM

Giant Shark - 5 - MM

Urban:

Cat - 0 - MM
Goat - 0 - MM
Rat - 0 - MM
Raven - 0 - MM

Flying Snake - 1/8 - MM
Giant Rat - 1/8 - MM
Mastiff - 1/8 - MM
Mule - 1/8 - MM
Pony - 1/8 - MM

Draft Horse - 1/4 - MM
Ox (Cattle) - 1/4 - MPMM
Riding Horse - 1/4 - MM

Crocodile - 1/2 - MM
Giant Wasp - 1/2 - MM
Warhorse - 1/2 - MM

Giant Spider - 1 - MM

7 minutes ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

Sorry, I was typing up my response to you and wanted to go into a little more detail, but I had a dentist appointment that I ended up having to rush off to.

So, the basically, when you wild-shape, you assume all the game statistics of the animal you’re turning into, except mental stats and skills you have. Because size is one of those game statistics, if you were to first cast enlarge/reduce upon yourself, you’d first grow large, then you’d wild-shape into something with its own size category, so you’d then either remain the same (because you can turn into large beasts, as well!) or you would shrink back to medium if you wild-shaped into a medium-sized beast. The enlarge/reduce spell also seems to have a singular enlargement event, which you then maintain through concentration, not a continual enlargement. Thus, even worse, going by RAW, if you were to wild-shape, then turn back into a human, you’d be medium, not large, even though you maintained concentration on the spell throughout your wild-shape.

To generalize: if a spell affects any game statistic that gets replaced by a beast’s game statistics when you wild-shape, then you could lose the effects of that spell regardless of the concentration. I say “could” because you have to pay close attention to the wording of each spell. For enlarge/reduce, the key wording is: “You cause a creature or an object you can see within range to grow larger or smaller for the duration.” It’s super pedantic, but “grow” is a change of state from one size to another; in other words, it’s a one-time event. The concentration on the spell merely maintains the result of that event. This is further implied by the fact that any item you drop immediately reverts to its original size, even though you’re still concentrating on the spell.

For barkskin, the wording is: “Until the spell ends, the target’s skin has a rough, bark-like appearance, and the target’s AC can’t be less than 16, . . .”. This spell’s effect lasts from beginning to end. It doesn’t cause a one-time event like enlarge/reduce does. UNFORTUNATELY, this spell has an AC formula as its mechanical component. When you wild-shape, the beast’s AC formula replaces any AC formula you currently have on you.

Now, you might ask, “Can I prepare to cast enlarge/reduce on myself as a reaction whose trigger is my wild-shaping?” My answer is “No” for the same reason that you can’t wild-shape into a bear and then cast the spell—or any spell!—preparing merely moves the casting from your action to a reaction, both occurring after you’ve wild-shaped.

Alright! Sorry about all that blather.

NOW! On to your next question. I’ll add my answer, here, to my FAQ.

In general I don’t want to restrict you too much, but I also want to maintain verisimilitude. To that, please pick two environments where your character has encountered various animals, and take the list from those environments. Any beast that has no listed environment—the “None:” tag—appears on all the environment tables, within reason. For example, because “peacock” has no environment tag, it technically appears on the Arctic list, too . . . except that that’s just stupid, so no, it does not.

Sorry! No Dinosaurs. They break verisimilitude.

Arctic:

Owl - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM

Giant Owl - 1/4 - MM

Brown Bear - 1 - MM

Polar Bear - 2 - MM

Mammoth - 6 - MM

Coastal:

Crab - 0 - MM
Eagle - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM
Dolphin - 1/8 - MPMM
Giant Crab - 1/8 - MM

Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM

Giant Eagle - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM

Desert:

Cat - 0 - MM
Hyena - 0 - MM
Jackal - 0 - MM
Scorpion - 0 - MM
Vulture - 0 - MM

Camel - 1/8 - MM
Flying Snake - 1/8 - MM
Mule - 1/8 - MM

Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM

Giant Hyena - 1 - MM
Giant Spider - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM
Giant Vulture - 1 - MM
Lion - 1 - MM

Giant Scorpion - 3 - MM

Forest:

Baboon - 0 - MM
Badger - 0 - MM
Cat - 0 - MM
Deer - 0 - MM
Hyena - 0 - MM
Owl - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM
Flying Snake - 1/8 - MM
Giant Rat - 1/8 - MM
Giant Weasel - 1/8 - MM
Mastiff - 1/8 - MM

Boar - 1/4 - MM
Elk - 1/4 - MM
Giant Badger - 1/4 - MM
Giant Bat - 1/4 - MM
Giant Frog - 1/4 - MM
Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM
Giant Owl - 1/4 - MM
Panther - 1/4 - MM
Wolf - 1/4 - MM

Ape - 1/2 - MM
Black Bear - 1/2 - MM
Giant Wasp - 1/2 - MM

Brown Bear - 1 - MM
Dire Wolf - 1 - MM
Giant Hyena - 1 - MM
Giant Spider - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM
Tiger - 1 - MM

Cave Bear - 2 - MM
Giant Boar - 2 - MM
Giant Elk - 2 - MM

Grassland:

Cat - 0 - MM
Deer - 0 - MM
Eagle - 0 - MM
Goat - 0 - MM
Hyena - 0 - MM
Jackal - 0 - MM
Vulture - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM
Flying Snake - 1/8 - MM
Giant Weasel - 1/8 - MM

Axe Beak - 1/4 - MM
Boar - 1/4 - MM
Cow - 1/4 - VGM
Elk - 1/4 - MM
Ox (Cattle) - 1/4 - MPMM
Panther - 1/4 - MM
Riding Horse - 1/4 - MM
Rothé - 1/4 - VGM
Wolf - 1/4 - MM

Giant Goat - 1/2 - MM
Giant Wasp - 1/2 - MM

Giant Eagle - 1 - MM
Giant Hyena - 1 - MM
Giant Vulture - 1 - MM
Lion - 1 - MM
Tiger - 1 - MM

Giant Boar - 2 - MM
Giant Elk - 2 - MM
Rhinoceros - 2 - MM

Elephant - 4 - MM

Hill:

Baboon - 0 - MM
Eagle - 0 - MM
Goat - 0 - MM
Hyena - 0 - MM
Raven - 0 - MM
Vulture - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM
Giant Weasel - 1/8 - MM
Mastiff - 1/8 - MM
Mule - 1/8 - MM

Axe Beak - 1/4 - MM
Boar - 1/4 - MM
Elk - 1/4 - MM
Giant Owl - 1/4 - MM
Panther - 1/4 - MM
Wolf - 1/4 - MM

Giant Goat - 1/2 - MM

Brown Bear - 1 - MM
Dire Wolf - 1 - MM
Giant Eagle - 1 - MM
Giant Hyena - 1 - MM
Lion - 1 - MM

Giant Boar - 2 - MM
Giant Elk - 2 - MM

Mountain:

Eagle - 0 - MM
Goat - 0 - MM

Blood Hawk - 1/8 - MM

Giant Goat - 1/2 - MM

Giant Eagle - 1 - MM
Lion - 1 - MM

Giant Elk - 2 - MM

None:

(All of these can appear on
any other list, within reason)

Almiraj - 0 - ToA
Bat - 0 - MM
Crow - 0 - WDMM
Falcon - 0 - WDH
Fish - 0 - GoS
Flying Monkey - 0 - ToA
Fox - 0 - IDRotF
Frog - 0 - MM
Hare - 0 - IDRotF
Hawk - 0 - MM
Kingsport - 0 - IDRotF
Knucklehead Trout - 0 - IDRotF
Lizard - 0 - MM
Octopus - 0 - MM
Peacock - 0 - BGDIA
Pig - 0 - SKT
Rooster - 0 - JttRC
Sea Horse - 0 - MM
Seal - 0 - IDRotF
Sheep - 0 - SKT
Spider - 0 - MM
Weasel - 0 - MM
Wild Dog - 0 - ToA

Mountain Goat - 1/8 - IDRotF

Cave Badger - 1/4 - OotA
Giant Riding Lizard - 1/4 - OotA
Giant Snail - 1/4 - WBtW
Golden Stag - 1/4 - HotDQ
Reindeer - 1/4 - IDRotF
Sled Dog - 1/4 - RoT
Walrus - 1/4 - IDRotF
Yak - 1/4 - SKT
Zebra - 1/4 - ToA

Giant Canary - 1/2 - FTD
Giant Dragonfly - 1/2 - WBtW
Giant Sea Eel - 1/2 - GoS

Giant Flying Spider - 1 - WDMM
Giant Raven - 1 - SKT
Giant Rocktopus - 1 - OotA
Giant Swan - 1 - WBtW
Ice Spider - 1 - SKT
Snow Leopard - 1 - TftYP
Spider King - 1 - OotA
Young Winter Wolf - 1 - TftYP

Giant Crayfish - 2 - TftYP
Giant White Moray Eel - 2 - GoS
Huge Polar Bear - 2 - TftYP
Ice Spider Queen - 2 - SKT
Relic Sloth - 2 - SCC
Young Bulette - 2 - PotA

Giant Lightning Eel - 3 - TftYP
Giant Snapping Turtle - 3 - ToA
Spotted Lion - 3 - BGG

Giant Coral Snake - 4 - GoS
Giant Subterranean Lizard - 4 - TftYP
Giant Walrus - 4 - IDRotF

Elder Giant Lizard - 5 - TftYP
Hulking Crab - 5 - SKT
Titanothere - 5 - BGG

Swamp:

Rat - 0 - MM
Raven - 0 - MM

Giant Rat - 1/8 - MM

Giant Frog - 1/4 - MM
Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM

Crocodile - 1/2 - MM

Giant Spider - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM

Giant Crocodile - 5 - MM

Underdark:

Giant Fire Beetle - 0 - MM

Giant Rat - 1/8 - MM

Deep Rothé (Cattle) - 1/4 - MPMM
Giant Bat - 1/4 - MM
Giant Lizard - 1/4 - MM

Giant Spider - 1 - MM
Giant Toad - 1 - MM

Cave Bear - 2 - MM
Polar Bear - 2 - MM

Underwater:

Quipper - 0 - MM

Dolphin - 1/8MP - MM

Giant Sea Horse - 1/2 - MM
Reef Shark - 1/2 - MM

Giant Octopus - 1 - MM

Hunter Shark - 2 - MM

Killer Whale - 3 - MM

Giant Shark - 5 - MM

Urban:

Cat - 0 - MM
Goat - 0 - MM
Rat - 0 - MM
Raven - 0 - MM

Flying Snake - 1/8 - MM
Giant Rat - 1/8 - MM
Mastiff - 1/8 - MM
Mule - 1/8 - MM
Pony - 1/8 - MM

Draft Horse - 1/4 - MM
Ox (Cattle) - 1/4 - MPMM
Riding Horse - 1/4 - MM

Crocodile - 1/2 - MM
Giant Wasp - 1/2 - MM
Warhorse - 1/2 - MM

Giant Spider - 1 - MM

That is a comprehensive list. I noticed that Polar Bear appears on the Underdark list 😲

Well, Forest is a no-brainer with my chosen case/background. The second is a bit more iffy; what would a dwarven stone citadel count as? Could be hill, mountain or underdark. I'll think about it.

Is it possible to learn wild shapes later based on what we encounter?

4 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

That is a comprehensive list. I noticed that Polar Bear appears on the Underdark list 😲

Yes! It is! And yes, I noticed that, too. Weird. But it is what it is.

Well, Forest is a no-brainer with my chosen case/background. The second is a bit more iffy; what would a dwarven stone citadel count as? Could be hill, mountain or underdark. I'll think about it.

If you're a hill dwarf, then hill. If you're a mountain dwarf, then mountain. If your citidel is no more because they accidentally tunneled into the Underdark and got overrun by evil entities, then Underdark.

Is it possible to learn wild shapes later based on what we encounter?

Yes! Absolutely. Any time we enter a new environment, make it a point to say that you're looking for animals and I'll try to throw some in to study. It'll probably involve some checks--not too difficult--and if you're looking for a specific animal, some more checks will be involved in tracking it down.

16 minutes ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

If you're a hill dwarf, then hill. If you're a mountain dwarf, then mountain. If your citidel is no more because they accidentally tunneled into the Underdark and got overrun by evil entities, then Underdark.

My character is a halfling, but she has taken an apprenticeship with a dwarf, so I guess it's up to me to decide.

Another weird thing; Vulture appears on three lists (Desert, Grasslands & Hills) while Giant Vulture only appears on two (Desert & Grasslands). I'm asking because I intend to take hill. If this is working as intended, never mind.

58 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

My character is a halfling, but she has taken an apprenticeship with a dwarf, so I guess it's up to me to decide.

Another weird thing; Vulture appears on three lists (Desert, Grasslands & Hills) while Giant Vulture only appears on two (Desert & Grasslands). I'm asking because I intend to take hill. If this is working as intended, never mind.

I didn't make the lists. The site-that-shall-not-be-named has the lists using handy-dandy tags. I did, however, excise things I didn't like from the lists.

I'm having a little bit of trouble here, in a Who's on First sort of way.

Lineages are a new concept even though I've been playing 5e for years but I'm just not getting something about it? All I want is to play a specific race but any info I look up about its lineage over race is still the same information reprinted, compared to, say, the hexblood lineage and I'm not sure what I'm missing here, or if I just play the race as is.

1 hour ago, TonberryKing said:

I'm having a little bit of trouble here, in a Who's on First sort of way.

Lineages are a new concept even though I've been playing 5e for years but I'm just not getting something about it? All I want is to play a specific race but any info I look up about its lineage over race is still the same information reprinted, compared to, say, the hexblood lineage and I'm not sure what I'm missing here, or if I just play the race as is.

I use “lineage” instead of “race” for the same reason that WotC abandoned the word. Where I differ from WotC is that “species” makes a high-magic fantasy game sound like a sci-fi story with space lasers.

Ohhh.

I'm sorry, I was overthinking things, like assuming there was some hybridizing mix/matching going on.

I have a fairly solid concept I just need to pin down some backstory stuff for.

29 minutes ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

I use “lineage” instead of “race” for the same reason that WotC abandoned the word. Where I differ from WotC is that “species” makes a high-magic fantasy game sound like a sci-fi story with space lasers.

Its a good change, they also have stopped using "Tribal" in favor of "Kindred" when discussing MTG deck archetypes for the same reason.

Thinking about the earlier wildshape stuff - You could MC Rune Knight, and since you keep class abilities other than casting, go large after shapeshifting that way. Fighter is a good dip for casters anyway *cough*Action Surge*cough*