Balthoz, the Brilliant Blaze

Quint Essence

WIP

Balthoz, the Brilliant Blaze

Hob.jpg

Name: Balthoz

Character Concept: A failed Marauder and follower of Talos, with oddly heroic impulses that keep him teetering between destruction and protection - chaos and community

Race, Background, Subclass Class: Hobgoblin Giant Foundling Druid (intending on going Wildfire Druid/Dragon Sorcerer (Gold))

Theme Song - Wolf Totem

Description: Hale and hearty even for a hobgoblin, Thoz' body has had to withstand the daily demands of working with his adopted family as well as the constant presence of the elemental energies they embody since a young age. His deeply crevassed skin and wooly white hair makes him look older than his thirty years to human eyes (and he has never met another hobgoblin, so wouldn't know that this is normal). The ruggedness combined with his spiked teeth give him an intimidating aura with other "smallfolk", which suits him just fine, and is something he leans into.

Thoz has a low rumble to his voice that persists even when simply breathing and his movements are bold and efficient with little regard for the noise they cause. While not unhygienic, the effects of daily channeling of fiery magic in oiled leather adventuring gear gives him an inescapable 'burnished' scent.

Your Character’s Plothook: Balthoz is well aware of others that seem to share his strangely selfless drive - calling themselves adventurers. Deciding to test himself among them, he follows a lead on a hotspot gathering place called the Nightstone Inn

Past is Prologue: Balthoz was abandoned to a small clan of fire giants when he could barely walk. His father Nuxall has said that his hobgoblin parents were afraid of Thoz because he had somehow caused several fires of mysterious nature. Due to their proximity, the connection to the giants was both obvious and as far as Nuxall could tell, nonexistent. Thoz was taken in originally as a practical matter - so he could one day act as an envoy in the tiny cities of the world. He however grew on his family and while not given equal status by any means, was treated as caringly as can be expected of fire giants. Recently though the clan fell on hard times and had to disband - the reason for this was not something Thoz was given.

Striking out on his own, Balthoz originally planned on joining a group of marauders, but in the heat of the moment turned on them in their very first raid - paradoxically defending the would be victims. Their thanks stroked his ego enough that he was able to ignore his inner confusion for a bit. --- He very much believes in following his instincts, but in the quiet of the night he wonders what came over him.

Secret - Balthoz is unaware of his emerging Gold Dragon lineage and the more it presents its power, the more the emotional state that accompanies its use affects him.

Personality Traits

- I can't bring myself to plunder, but I will expect generous gratitude from those I aid.

- I brook no insults, disrespect earns a fiery wrath.

Ideals

- The world is an unforgiving place, better to be the threat than the threatened

- Destruction brings space to create and resources to create with.

Bonds

- I would be nothing without my family. I would do anything for them

Deity: Talos - A family deity, but one Balthoz took to earnestly. He worships the destructive power of nature as a whole, but sees Talos as a fitting representation of that idea. That said, he has had some trouble reconciling his own emerging attitudes with the God's expectations recently.

Does Might Make Right? Yeah, yeah it really really does. But those with power should never discount the ability of desperation to light a fire inside the previously weak. Sometimes Might is just bluster and sometimes the Mighty don't wear it on their sleeve... like my dad always said "There is always someone more powerful than you."

Edited by Quint Essence (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
%5Bb%5D%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2890219%5DBalthoz%5B%2Furl%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%0A%5Bi%5DHobgoblin%20Druid%201%20NN%5B%2Fi%5D%20%0A%0A%5Bb%5DAC%5B%2Fb%5D%2015%20%5Bb%5DHP%5B%2Fb%5D%2010%20%5Bb%5DSpeed%5B%2Fb%5D%2030ft%20%0A%0A%5Bb%5DStr%5B%2Fb%5D%2011%20(0)%20%5Bb%5DDex%5B%2Fb%5D%2012%20(1)%20%5Bb%5DCon%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%20(2)%20%5Bb%5DWis%5B%2Fb%5D%2019%20(4)%20%5Bb%5DInt%5B%2Fb%5D%2010%20(0)%20%5Bb%5DCha%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%20(2)%0A%0A%5Bb%5DAttacks%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DShillelagh%20%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%0A%0AHobgoblin%20Ability%20Adjustments%20%2B2%20Wis%20%2F%20%2B1Cha%0ADarkvision%0AFey%20Ancestry%0AFey%20Gift%0AFortune%20from%20the%20Many%0A%0ADruidic%20Language%0ASkills%20-%20Nature%2C%20Perception%0ASpellcasting%0A%0ABackground%0ASkills%20-%20Intimidation%2C%20Survival%0AOther%20-%20Giant%20and%20Draconic%20Languages%0AFeature%20-%20Unlocked%20Strike%20of%20the%20Giants%0A%0ABonus%20Feat%20-%20Strike%20of%20the%20Giants%20(Fire)%0A%0A
Balthoz
Hobgoblin Druid 1 NN

AC 15 HP 10 Speed 30ft

Str 11 (0) Dex 12 (1) Con 14 (2) Wis 19 (4) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)

Attacks
Shillelagh

Hobgoblin Ability Adjustments +2 Wis / +1Cha
Darkvision
Fey Ancestry
Fey Gift
Fortune from the Many

Druidic Language
Skills - Nature, Perception
Spellcasting

Background
Skills - Intimidation, Survival
Other - Giant and Draconic Languages
Feature - Unlocked Strike of the Giants

Bonus Feat - Strike of the Giants (Fire)

Stat Rolls Below

Name
Block 1
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 1,4,3,3,1,4,6,1,5,1,2,5,1,6,5,2,5,3,6,3,6,6,2,5
Block 2
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 4,3,3,3,1,2,5,1,3,5,1,2,2,6,1,5,3,2,6,2,6,3,4,5
Block 3
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 6,3,4,4,3,2,1,2,1,4,5,5,3,3,4,4,2,1,2,2,2,4,4,4

Posted (edited)

Balthoz token.pngBalthoz, the Brilliant Blaze

Hobgoblin Druid

"I ought to hand it to you..."  Thoz chuckled darkly "It's been taking a lot to get my blood boiling lately, but you seem to have found the cure" | ‘Who knows how long it will be till the next time, I better enjoy this’ the hobgoblin mused to himself.  . . .

Slamming the head of his warclub in his hand - sending a surge of igneous strength through the wood and leaving a ball of crackling flame in his open palm - Balthoz readied himself for battle.

Mechanics/OoC

Bonus Action - Shillelagh.

Action - Produce Flame.

To Whom It May Concern . . .

@Kamishiro_Rin Put Player mention tags, and any particular notes in here.

On 3/21/2024 at 10:18 AM, Quint Essence said:

Character Concept: A failed Marauder and follower of Talos, with oddly heroic impulses that keep him teetering between destruction and protection - chaos and community

Ooh! Kind of reminds me of that Angry GM article recently!

Description: Hale and hearty even for a hobgoblin, Thoz' body has had to withstand the daily demands of working with his adopted family as well as the constant presence of the elemental energies they embody since a young age. His deeply crevassed skin and wooly white hair makes him look older than his thirty years to human eyes (and he has never met another hobgoblin, so wouldn't know that this is normal). The ruggedness combined with his spiked teeth give him an intimidating aura with other "smallfolk", which suits him just fine, and is something he leans into.

Thoz has a low rumble to his voice that persists even when simply breathing and his movements are bold and efficient with little regard for the noise they cause. While not unhygienic, the effects of daily channeling of fiery magic in oiled leather adventuring gear gives him an inescapable 'burnished' scent.

Nice description!

Your Character’s Plothook: Balthoz is well aware of others that seem to share his strangely selfless drive - calling themselves adventurers. Deciding to test himself among them, he follows a lead on a hotspot gathering place called the Nightstone Inn

Interesting take making the plothook your own!

Past is Prologue: Balthoz was abandoned to a small clan of fire giants when he could barely walk. His father Nuxall has said that his hobgoblin parents were afraid of Thoz because he had somehow caused several fires of mysterious nature. Due to their proximity, the connection to the giants was both obvious and as far as Nuxall could tell, nonexistent. Thoz was taken in originally as a practical matter - so he could one day act as an envoy in the tiny cities of the world. He however grew on his family and while not given equal status by any means, was treated as caringly as can be expected of fire giants. Recently though the clan fell on hard times and had to disband - the reason for this was not something Thoz was given.

Striking out on his own, Balthoz originally planned on joining a group of marauders, but in the heat of the moment turned on them in their very first raid - paradoxically defending the would be victims. Their thanks stroked his ego enough that he was able to ignore his inner confusion for a bit. --- He very much believes in following his instincts, but in the quiet of the night he wonders what came over him.

Secret - Balthoz is unaware of his emerging Gold Dragon lineage and the more it presents its power, the more the emotional state that accompanies its use affects him.

Very neat!

Cool art! Consider the app "reviewed"!

I'll open up the Pre-Game IC-Thread to you, now!