Right now, running with one of my go-to concepts... Human rogue who's more of a pickpocket and general thief... with a bit of charm about him that he uses to try to get out of trouble.

More later when I develop the character.

Posted (edited)

And now...

Renard

Novice Male Human, Charming Rogue

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8+1
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 7 (2)
Hindrances: Impulsive, Loyal
Edges: Rogue, Thief
Armor: Leather Jacket (Armor 2)
Weapons: Unarmed (Range Melee, Damage Str), 3x Dagger/Knife (Range 3/6/12, Damage Str+d4, ROF 1), Sword, Short (Range Melee, Damage Str+d6)
Gear: Backpack (Contains: Bedroll, 6x Torch (1 hour, 4" radius), Lantern, bullseye (10" cone), 4x Oil (1 pint), 12x Trail Ration (per day)), 3x Pouch, belt, Thieves' Tools (-2 Thievery w/o)
Language: Native
Current Wealth: $210.44

Special Abilities

• Adaptability: Start with a free Edge (must meet requirements) and a d6 in any one Attribute. This does not increase the attribute limit.
  • Sneak Attack: Rogues add an additional d6 to their damage when they have the Drop on their victim, or the victim is Vulnerable. This applies to Athletics (throwing), Fighting, or Shooting attacks.
  • Languages Known: Native

Current Load: 34 (61)
Books In Use: Pathfinder Core Book, Pathfinder Advanced Players Guide, Pathfinder Companion
Validity: Character appears valid and optimal
Edited by TheDude2371 (see edit history)

Backstory

Renard... what can be said about Renard?

First off... it's not my real name... at least it wasn't when I was born and growing up.

You see, I never knew my mother. I was told she died in childbirth, which wasn't a great start for me. That's always been a source of guilt, thinking that I was the reason why her life ended when mine began. I still carry that.

My father, on the other hand, had a very... loose way of raising me. He made sure I had food and clothing, of course. Shelter, on the other hand, well... that wasn't a constant. Neither was money.

You see, my father (I can't really call him Dad... we weren't that close to each other) was somewhat of a... okay, let's not beat about the bush here... He was a thief. A con man. A grifter. A smuggler at times. Basically, he wasn't quite on the side of the law.

That's why we never stayed around in one place for long... and if we did go back to a particular location, there was a long gap of time between visits -- and hopefully an even longer gap in local memory.

Which brings me to... what... when I was nine. You see, that's the moment when my father (almost said "Dad" there again) slipped up, and got himself arrested. I did like he taught me... I ran. He never told anyone I was his son. And... well... he went to some sort of prison, not sure where. I haven't seen him since. That's, what... fifteen years maybe?

Anyways, I was now on my own. He taught me how to do some things, of course... mostly how to beg, how to look for cheap or free housing... Basically I was self-raised on the streets for the best part of two years... until I tried to pick the wrong pocket.

My mark was someone who looked well-off enough that he wouldn't miss a few coins. Boy, did I screw up. Oh, I got the pouch... but when I got back to my hide, there he was, sitting there as if he was waiting for me... which, in fact, he was.

"That was a good lift, kid," he said to me. "One of the best I've seen... but, you should know that I let you take it... as a test." 

I was stymied. A test? You see, my mark wasn't a regular everyday nobleman. Nope. He himself was a thief, and apparently a damn good one. He said I could keep the coins, but he wanted to offer me something: a better life. At least, to become like him... a better thief.

I thought on this... I was cold, dirty, hungry. Most of the time I was stealing small things like scraps, fruit, some coins here and there. But I was just a kid. What other choice did I have? I accepted on the spot.

And so, this man took me under his wing.

He told me his name... Renard. That's all. A single name. Me, well... my own name has been lost over time because I never needed to use it for anything. My father kept changing our names each time we went into a new town. So, Renard gave me a name -- Evan... though he told me not to get used to it.

For the next several years, he taught me how to be a better thief -- sleight of hand, picking pockets, defeating locks and traps, being stealthy. you know... what every thief needs to know.

He was my mentor... sometimes a father figure... and yes, a friend.

At least, until a few years back... he slipped up.

He basically tried to steal from the wrong people. He thought they were just regular businessmen, but... that was a front. The were a small element in a larger gang... a gang that had, well... hitters. And one hitter trailed us for months... until they found Renard. You see, I came back from a typical day in a new place. I had lifted some pouches, and went back to our hide... only to find Renard barely clinging to life. In his last breaths in this world, he gave me two things -- one was a silver pendant with a sapphire set in it, along with a matching ring. He told me to keep those hidden and safe. He also gave me one more thing that was more precious -- his name.

You see, he wasn't the original Renard. That person died ages ago. My mentor was like me, a vagabond who was down on his luck who happened to steal from the wrong person. Renard here had seen me work when I was young, and thought I'd be a suitable heir. The pendant, ring, and name were all passed down from mentor to student at some point. Now I would hold that name.

His last few breaths were spent telling me to run. Don't look back. But also, when the time was right, take on an apprentice to pass along the tradition.

That was four years ago. I still use the name, though I don't think the reputation has followed. It's not like the name Renard holds any renown or myth behind it. It's a name...

But it's also a badge, in a sense. An identity. Something I can hold on to, something I can pass along.

I hope I can live up to it.

Character Notes

• He still carries guilt about his mother. However, he never had proof that she died in childbirth. All he has is what his father told him. He knew his father lied for a living. Could he have lied about that too?
  • He doesn't always use Renard as a name. Sometimes he falls back on Evan, the only other constant name he remembers.
  • He's not greedy. He steals what he needs, and he's willing to share with those who are less fortunate.
  • Since the name is in use, he does keep an eye over his shoulder in case he runs across another hitter that's looking for someone with the name Renard.
  • He does tend to "look before he leaps".