Edit History

iantruesilver

iantruesilver

1 hour ago, Lwmons said:

Oh we aren't doing Mythic? That's a shame. I don't think that had been mentioned before

Is there a reason you don't want to use it? I always thought that Mythic was the main reason to play WotR, it's defining feature

It is and it isn't. WotR has an amazing story, and one that definitely fits well with mythic, no doubt about that.

My issue isn't with the theme. I love it. It's with the mechanics.

Allow me to tell a story.

Back in 2017-18, I ran a Second Darkness campaign on a live table for some friends. At the time, I thought y'know, the story lended decently to mythic rules, why not, let's try giving the party some extra oomph, cause afterall, I'm giving them some pretty nasty challenges (I had added in extra content from multiple non-Paizo sources, and custom created other things).

So, at the beginning of Second Darkness Book 2, the group were Lv 4 plus 1 Mythic Tier, which, by the books is the same as what you would start Book 2 of WotR with.

Hoboi. Sit down for this.

We had an elven wizard, and a dwarven fighter (barbarian? one of them two) at this point, plus a couple of other regulars amongst a rotating caste.

They were at this point on an island, which was supposed to present various encounters as they traveled across this island, which I would say comprised at least about 1/3 if not 1/2 of the book's encounters. The book, and their then naïve GM (me), assumed that "okay, they're gonna HAVE to encounter these encounters cause after all, it's on the island!"

So, the dwarf had taken this mythic thing that allowed him to run fast. To the tune of... You sitting yet? 2,400ft/min. They tied a rope around everyone's waists, one end to the dwarf, then the others after him at the other end. The elf then cast levitate on everyone other than the dwarf.

And he ran.

Essentially this dwarf kite-dragged the rest of the party at a speed that would be illegal in every single school zone in our civilized world, through the entire width of the island, faster than the record of Usain Bolt, effectively bypassing EVERY SINGLE ENCOUNTER on the island that was not inside a building.

iantruesilver

iantruesilver

45 minutes ago, Lwmons said:

Oh we aren't doing Mythic? That's a shame. I don't think that had been mentioned before

Is there a reason you don't want to use it? I always thought that Mythic was the main reason to play WotR, it's defining feature

It is and it isn't. WotR has an amazing story, and one that definitely fits well with mythic, no doubt about that.

My issue isn't with the theme. I love it. It's with the mechanics.

Allow me to tell a story.

Back in 2017-18, I ran a Second Darkness campaign on a live table for some friends. At the time, I thought y'know, the story lended decently to mythic rules, why not, let's try giving the party some extra oomph, cause afterall, I'm giving them some pretty nasty challenges (I had added in extra content from multiple non-Paizo sources, and custom created other things).

So, at the beginning of Second Darkness Book 2, the group were Lv 4 plus 1 Mythic Tier, which, by the books is the same as what you would start Book 2 of WotR with.

Hoboi. Sit down for this.

We had an elven wizard, and a dwarven fighter at this point, plus a couple of other regulars amongst a rotating caste.

They were at this point on an island, which was supposed to present various encounters as they traveled across this island, which I would say comprised at least about 1/3 if not 1/2 of the book's encounters. The book, and their then naïve GM (me), assumed that "okay, they're gonna HAVE to encounter these encounters cause after all, it's on the island!"

So, the dwarf had taken this mythic thing that allowed him to run fast. To the tune of... You sitting yet? 2,400ft/min. They tied a rope around everyone's waists, one end to the dwarf, then the others after him at the other end. The elf then cast levitate on everyone other than the dwarf.

And he ran.

Essentially this dwarf kite-dragged the rest of the party at a speed that would be illegal in every single school zone in our civilized world, through the entire width of the island, faster than the record of Usain Bolt, effectively bypassing EVERY SINGLE ENCOUNTER on the island that was not inside a building.