Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Qu - Tortle Faction Agent (Harpers) Order of Scribes Wizard

KingGoblin

Qu - Tortle Faction Agent (Harpers) Order of Scribes Wizard

Tortle.jpg.bd74ccdf8efbb15642ad5c16cbcc64f0.jpg

Name: Qu

Character Concept: A tortle wizard far away from his homeland, but with his home on his back, on a mission from the Harpers to meet with the elves of the Ardeep Forest.

Lineage, Background, Subclass Class: Tortle Faction Agent (Harpers) Order of the Scribes Wizard

Description: Qu looks, as you can imagine, like a bipedal turtle. Yellow-green scales cover his body, and although he prefers to walk around essentially nude, this is impossible in the cold north. Instead, he wears winter robes, and tends to carry an open flame in his hands or on the tip of his staff for extra warmth. His familiar, a colorful blue parrot (refluffed raven) is out more than not, watching the world with intelligent eyes. Although it is hard to discern expressions on a turtle-beaked face, Qu's eyes match those of his familiar, friendly and curious, a bright golden yellow fading to reddish tones.

When speaking, Qu tends to use bigger words than is really necessary, and tends to find five words where one would suffice. He speaks slowly, as though carefully considering each phrase and feeling it in his beak, tasting it with his tongue, before sending it out into the air. That said, he doesn't really speak all that often, certainly not just to hear his own voice, so it gives an air of wisdom that may or may not actually be present.

Being in the cold is not his preference, and so he tends to walk a bit slower than many, perhaps because of the weight of the shell on his back. He is quick to try to find small comforts, a warm fire, delicious food, a beautiful flower or ice formation. Qu's preference in food leans towards vegetarianism, or at least towards fish for protein, but he isn't fanatical about it, and will gladly eat beef or goat if that's what's available. In most things, Qu appears to be gently appreciative of what is going on around him, even the uncomfortable or the unwanted, and in this way he tends to have an even disposition in the face of life's challenges and trials.

Your Character’s Plothook: Qu is traveling from Daggerford to Nightstone on a mission from the Harpers, although he isn't likely to tell anyone that. He speaks Elven and Common, so he was sent to meet with Lady Velrosa Nandar to help resolve the conflict with the elves of the Ardeep Forest. He also speaks Giant, as that was a special interest of his back when he was training in Waterdeep, and is eager to possibly meet with some of the giants he has heard live in the north, although he has a more optimistic than realistic concept of how that would go.

Past is Prologue: Even Qu isn't entirely sure how his family ended up on the Sword Coast. His parents, like all Tortles, died before his first birthday. So he can't really ask them. He doesn't really think about them. His aunts and uncles didn't seem to know anything. His siblings obviously didn't, either.

In any case, he was raised in a clutch of fourteen hatchlings, and spent most of his first year being cared for by his parents. After that, he was on his own, but had aunts and uncles around occasionally. The first years were spent fishing and digging for clams, eating seaweed and bamboo that they somehow made grow, but eventually he picked up his shell and moved to town. Qu had an insatiable appetite for learning, which led to him becoming a wizard, which led Waterdeep.

He isn't sure where his siblings are, although he assumes they are fishing on the coast somewhere. Most Tortles are pretty independent, and so it isn't unusual that they don't talk. When your home is on your back, you don't get homesick, and Qu hasn't really been the kind to worry about setting down roots. He figures, when he is ready to die, he will find a male Tortle and lay some eggs. Until then, he's more than happy to wander around learning.

Um, yes, Qu is female, but it is hard for most mammals to tell with turtles, and he tends to identify as masculine, so it doesn't really matter. Perhaps asexual would be more precise, since he doesn't plan on having kids until he is ready to die, and isn't interested in practicing either way. Plus, it seems unsanitary.

In any case, in Waterdeep, Qu found kindred spirits who could spend days in books, tending the library, reading books, copying scrolls, and reading books. Most recently, due in no small part to what he heard of a dragon war going on up north, he has been obsessed with the region. He read histories, and learned Giantish, and perused books on flora and fauna of the frigid north. It wasn't until the rumors of giant attacks started circulating in Waterdeep that he really seemed to realize that he lived in the north, and could actually just go outside and see what he was reading about in real life. Like, it was right there.

He probably would have remained bemusedly entertained by this prospect, except for his introduction to the Harpers. Well, his introduction to a Harper, but it is usually all the same. In Qu's case, it was his friend Kiku, a goblin that was also a bit of an outcast in Waterdeep. They had weekly games of dragonchess in the Glade, a tea garden they both enjoyed, until Kiku didn't show up. Qu didn't think much of it, until he found Kiku in his own living quarters (how Kiku even found out where Qu lived, he wasn't sure), bleeding to death on Qu's bed. Kiku gave Qu a pin, and a sealed scroll case, and explained that it was of absolute importance that it be delivered to a specific person in Daggerford. Kiku seemed pretty adamant about it, so Qu bound his wounds, gave him a handful of goodberries, and went off and delivered the letter.

Turns out, even with healing Kiku didn't last the night; the wounds didn't kill him, but a poisoned dagger in a brothel on the other side of town did. Probably this was Kiku's intention, as it distracted pursuit away from Qu. Qu didn't find that out until later, when he reached Daggerford, and met with Kiku's contact, a half-elven bard named Stormantha Gale, or 'Stormy,' who was more than a little surprised and relieved to get the scroll case, and more than a little drunk, as she had been mourning both Kiku and the failure of his mission. Mourning Kiku was appropriate, the mission failure was premature.

In any case, this was Qu's introduction to the Harpers, and despite the danger, he enjoyed it so much that he was willing to join up and take on other work. Stormy is his main contact, although she has given him instructions in how to identify himself to other Harpers, and he has his inherited pin.

Include at least two of the following in your application:

Loyalties. He joined the Harpers. He mainly joined for the adventure, but his first mission was simply for his friend, Kiku. Now, his only real contact with the Harpers is Stormantha 'Stormy' Gale, a half-elven bard who was most recently based in Daggerford, although her job allows excuses to move frequently.

Is Might Right? That is a very complicated and insightful question, and does not deserve a simple answer! Why, even asking a close-ended question like this would already indicate the type of answer you expect to receive, and clearly closes off further avenues of discussion. But no matter, we can begin our exploration together. We should begin by defining the terms. What do you suppose is meant by 'Might,' in this context...

Deity. Eh, probably Mystra. Qu follows all the gods, when he thinks they might be watching. So, before setting off for a long journey, he will stop to make a bit of an offering or prayer to a god of safe travels, before a major purchase he might pray to a god of commerce, but he isn't exactly a loyal follower of any of them. The one he would come closest to actually worshiping is probably Mystra, just because of his occupation, and he sees more statues of her around than the others. But really, he doesn't think the gods concern themselves with his lifestyle, for the most part, so he doesn't concern himself with theirs.

Music. Going to need to think about this one. It is hard, because I don’t think I listen to music like he feels much.

Thank You possibly, by Dido

Fireflies by Owl City

What a Wonderful World by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)
Name
Set 1
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 1,3,6,4,1,5,1,4,6,5,2,4,3,1,3,6,3,3,2,3,2,6,3,2
Set 2
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 2,6,4,1,5,4,6,3,2,5,6,2,6,1,1,1,3,4,1,5,6,6,6,6
roll
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 3,3,1,1,2,4,6,5,4,6,6,2,3,5,4,6,6,1,5,4,2,5,1,6

TortleToken.png.b03ad2ac6d4ceb2ddf18459c319afe0e.pngQu

Tortle Faction Agent (Harpers) Order of Scribes Wizard

IC

“My words,” Qu said. | ‘My thoughts,’ Qu thought. | My actions . . .

Qu did some things. He said some things. He did some more things.

OOC

I don’t always put OOC content in my posts, but when I do, I put it in here.

To Whom It May Concern . . .

@Kamishiro_Rin Put Player mention tags, and any particular notes in here.

16 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Name: Qu

So, like with others, I'm going to guess at this name's pronunciation. This one is pronounced "Kwan-duh-lah-SHAM-buh-LAN", right?

No?

"Choo"? "Koo"? "Kwoo"? "Kwuh"?

Character Concept: A tortle wizard far away from his homeland, but with his home on his back, on a mission from the Harpers to meet with the elves of the Ardeep Forest.

I like it!

Gonna be honest. I was worried when you joked about making a ninja turtle.

Description: Qu looks, as you can imagine, like a bipedal turtle. Yellow-green scales cover his body, and although he prefers to walk around essentially nude, this is impossible in the cold north. Instead, he wears winter robes, and tends to carry an open flame in his hands or on the tip of his staff for extra warmth. His familiar, a colorful blue parrot (refluffed raven) is out more than not, watching the world with intelligent eyes. Although it is hard to discern expressions on a turtle-beaked face, Qu's eyes match those of his familiar, friendly and curious, a bright golden yellow fading to reddish tones.

When speaking, Qu tends to use bigger words than is really necessary, and tends to find five words where one would suffice. He speaks slowly, as though carefully considering each phrase and feeling it in his beak, tasting it with his tongue, before sending it out into the air. That said, he doesn't really speak all that often, certainly not just to hear his own voice, so it gives an air of wisdom that may or may not actually be present.

Being in the cold is not his preference, and so he tends to walk a bit slower than many, perhaps because of the weight of the shell on his back. He is quick to try to find small comforts, a warm fire, delicious food, a beautiful flower or ice formation. Qu's preference in food leans towards vegetarianism, or at least towards fish for protein, but he isn't fanatical about it, and will gladly eat beef or goat if that's what's available. In most things, Qu appears to be gently appreciative of what is going on around him, even the uncomfortable or the unwanted, and in this way he tends to have an even disposition in the face of life's challenges and trials.

I like Qu. Qu is my spirit animal.

Um, yes, Qu is female, but it is hard for most mammals to tell with turtles, and he tends to identify as masculine, so it doesn't really matter. Perhaps asexual would be more precise, since he doesn't plan on having kids until he is ready to die, and isn't interested in practicing either way. Plus, it seems unsanitary.

Worry not! Sex, certainly, and romance, most probably, won't feature in the game!

Turns out, even with healing Kiku didn't last the night; the wounds didn't kill him, but a poisoned dagger in a brothel on the other side of town did. Probably this was Kiku's intention, as it distracted pursuit away from Qu. Qu didn't find that out until later, when he reached Nightstone, and met with Kiku's contact, a half-elven bard named Stormantha Gale, or 'Stormy,' who was more than a little surprised and relieved to get the scroll case, and more than a little drunk, as she had been mourning both Kiku and the failure of his mission. Mourning Kiku was appropriate, the mission failure was premature.

Interesting. So why is Qu in Daggerford, and why is he going back to Nightstone? I'm a little confused.

Otherwise, I love the story!

Loyalties. He joined the Harpers. He mainly joined for the adventure, but his first mission was simply for his friend, Kiku. Now, his only real contact with the Harpers is Stormantha 'Stormy' Gale, a half-elven bard who was most recently based in Nightstone, although her job allows excuses to move frequently.

Ah. I see. So maybe Qu is making his way back to Stormantha from further down south (just for the sake of reference, Nightstone lies a little south of halfway between Waterdeep and Daggerford, off the highroad. In other words, if you go down from Waterdeep, there's no reason to keep going further down to Daggerford and then back up.).

Is Might Right? That is a very complicated and insightful question, and does not deserve a simple answer! Why, even asking a close-ended question like this would already indicate the type of answer you expect to receive, and clearly closes off further avenues of discussion. But no matter, we can begin our exploration together. We should begin by defining the terms. What do you suppose is meant by 'Might,' in this context...

Ahaha! I love it!

Reviewed! I'll open up the Pre-Game IC-Thread for you.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

So, like with others, I'm going to guess at this name's pronunciation. This one is pronounced "Kwan-duh-lah-SHAM-buh-LAN", right?

No?

"Choo"? "Koo"? "Kwoo"? "Kwuh"?

20 hours ago, KingGoblin said:

Qu would just bob his head with an enigmatic expression on his face, and say, ‘Mmm, yes, that’s right.’

He is happy with whatever people call him. He uses the Qu spelling in numerous puns and word games, because that entertains him, but honestly, we can’t get his name right. Our mouths are wrong.

I am imagining the initial sound as a sort of hollow click inside his beak. I tried looking up the notation for click languages, but there are so many, and they all have to do with where your tongue is in your mouth, and have very little to do with beaks, so that doesn’t work. For the second sound, I was imagining something we probably could do, but I don’t have the words to describe, like between oo and ewe and you and que, but not quite the oo for either of them, and with a slight rolling sound like when people roll their Rs, or like a dove talks. I imagine the whole Tortle language as being like that, like they sound like what parrots would sound like if they didn’t like screeching so much and wanted to invent a language.

In any case, yes, he is fine with whatever people call him, and will play with the sounds to his own amusement for as long as they continue associating with him.

Ah. I see. So maybe Qu is making his way back to Stormantha from further down south (just for the sake of reference, Nightstone lies a little south of halfway between Waterdeep and Daggerford, off the highroad. In other words, if you go down from Waterdeep, there's no reason to keep going further down to Daggerford and then back up.).

I probably got my geography mixed up. Will check a map tonight, and straighten the towns out in the application, but yes, he went south to somewhere to deliver the letter, and is going north now.

Reviewed! I'll open up the Pre-Game IC-Thread for you.

Sounds great!

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)