Feature request: Thumbs up emoji/reaction on others' posts

Ayeba

I miss a simple '+1' or 'thumbs up' reaction that I can use to let a poster know that I have read/agreed/understood their message without having to create one of my own. This is not meant to be used for roleplaying posts, but for out of character content and other discussions.

I realize that in terms of difficulty, there's practically no difference between implementing a system with one emoji and several, as long as the list of emojis available is moderate, finite and static. You might consider having for example five emojis available:

•  👍 +1/thumbs up
  • 😀 Smile/laughter/delight
  • 🥰 Love it
  •  🤔 Thinking/considering
  • 😠 Angry face

I'm sure an argument can be made for more or different emojis. I'm obviously not an UI designer, I just listed those that I regularly use myself. There are arguments for more: For example shock or surprise 😲 might be a sixth candidate. But it's a slippery slope; you can just as well argue for ten emojis. Someone more qualified than me should think about it.

This is something that is not implemented not due to lack of the existing features/capabilities but because it has been attempted in the past on OGMW as well as a simple upvote/downvote system and resulted in enough problems that staff disabled the capabilities after short trial periods. There were enough headaches caused between hurt feelings, fighting, and friend groups/cliques brigading posts from users they don’t like that it wasn’t worth it, especially since no one from the site owner down to the mod team gets paid running the site.