Endoh Kyoka & Lopmon

Rayth

spacer.png

Endoh Kyoka

Appearance

Kyoka is tall for her age; always has been, and that's held true even through high school. She has light brown eyes, and wears her hair long. It's the one aspect of traditional femininity she allows herself, and she applies herself to it's maintenance as thoroughly as she does everything else. Her hair spends most of it's time bound up in baseball caps or tied in buns to stay out of the way for martial arts practice, but when she lets it down she's been told it's quite beautiful.

She's built surprisingly solidly compared to many of her classmates. Long hours spent between the baseball diamond, judo dojo and just general gym-going have given her a surprising amount of muscle; not that you'd know it, given her propensity to wear more concealing clothing, opting for slacks over skirts, and wearing longer sleeves. It isn't exactly a secret; she competes on Takigawa High's baseball team, and participates in Kendo Club. But the looks she gets make her a little self-conscious, or maybe just annoyed.

Kyoka's expression is usually rather neutral; or perhaps, placid is the right word. Not unapproachable, but a little distant. She dresses well, but comfortably, preferring sportswear and things that are easy to move in.

Personality

Kyoka is a girl best measured in degrees. Her first impression can be a little misleading.

She's serious, but not stern. She's quiet, but not shy. She's confident, but not conceited. It takes a lot to get a reaction out of her, and whatever reaction you get will likely be a little muted. But she isn't depressed, though maybe a little repressed. She's very focused, and can be a little intense. But she can be perfectly friendly; in fact, one might go so far as to say she's pretty popular, as you might expect by being one of the best baseball players in the school. She has no problem talking to people, though she doesn't always have a lot to say.

Put her on the field, or on the mat, though, and her demeanor changes. She can be downright fierce when she's got a challenge in front of her, and relentless in pursuit of conquering it. Any challenge is an opportunity to prove, and improve, herself, and she treats it with the severity that deserves.

She's been called older than her years, sometimes no-nonsense, and she's known to be dependable by her teammates. She doesn't hang out with many people besides them; her schedule is just too busy. But if she calls you a friend, she means it, and is doggedly loyal.

Her relationship to sports is a little fraught. It started in the way it does for many, as an after-school activity, but she always felt the pressure from her parents to commit, to excel. It helped that she was naturally quite talented; she did commit, and she does excel. But she hasn't spent much time thinking if she really wants to be doing this; she's wrapped up in the inertia and momentum. Her father's passing has made this more thorny; no one has said that she can't drop baseball without disrespecting her father's memory, but she certainly feels that way. And why should she drop it? She's good at it, very good. She could even go pro one day, if she wants to. Does she? Who's to say. It's hard to avoid thinking about the fact that there isn't as much room to grow in women's baseball as there is in men's; a fear she's not spoken much about. But if she's good enough, talented enough? She can't be ignored.

Backstory

Kyoka was born to mother Himari, and father Minato. They themselves were once quite in the public eye; Himari was a professional figure skater with Olympic prospects, and Minato was a professional baseball player, having a well-regarded but not exemplary tenure as part of the Yomiuri Giants. They were something of a power couple in their day; not the apex of their respective sports, but very driven to succeed, well-known and popular. Even more so together. Himari had largely retired by the time Kyoka was born, the rigors of Olympic competition having taken their toll. Minato continued to play well into Kyoka's childhood, supporting the family and earning the admiration of his daughter.

Kyoka, for her part, excelled in sport from an early age, spurred onward by her parents. She favored soccer, though her father always wanted her to switch to baseball. She also started practicing kendo and judo quite young; it looks good on college applications, and is well-respected. Her parents weren't harsh, but they expected a lot from Kyoka, and she strove to meet their standards.

Things began to change when Kyoka was in middle school. Her father, now having retired from the Giants, fell ill. His disease progressed quickly, though the family got to spend as much time together as possible. Kyoka, following her father's wishes, switched clubs to baseball; Minato got to see her play shortly before he was hospitalized, and she remembers the grin on his face well when he watched her slide to home. He passed shortly after.

The time after her father's passing was turbulent; arrangements had to be made, and she was still young. It was hard to accept, hard to deal with. She retreated into athletics, both as a way to get away from the grief, as well as a way to feel closer to her father. She redoubled her focus, and she improved by leaps and bounds. By the time she entered high school, she was already better than many of her upperclassmen; a fact they took no pleasure in.

It was difficult for any of them to do anything about it, though. Her talent spoke for itself, and she was largely immune to social pressures. What, were you going to bully the daughter of Endoh Minato, professional baseball player, because she was better than you at baseball? Come on, be serious. And even those who tried found a girl who was, frankly, unflappable. Even physical intimidation was fruitless; Kyoka's bi-weekly judo classes no secret.

Things progressed as such until now, her senior year at Takigawa High. Kyoka is one of the team's star players; maybe the star. Her future looks bright, having already secured some athletic scholarships to prestigious schools. But her social calendar is a little sparse. One of her teammates, Haru, has gotten really excited about the new Digimon GO! game, and is bound and determined to get everyone else on the team to play. Kyoka has preregistered, though knows functionally nothing about Digimon outside of it's existence.

Talents & Expectations

Kyoka is meant to fill an interesting role on a Digimon cast; someone who is physically capable, both in athletics and in theoretical combat. The Digidestined are frequently imperiled, but it's not often that the threat can be punched into submission by a normal human. This is not a trend I intend on bucking with Kyoka. The premise of the franchise is that the human partners empower their Digimon to conquer foes through The Power of Friendship(or Courage, Sincerity, etc), and that still holds true for Kyoka. I don't anticipate her dukeing it out with Kuwagamon and such. Though, maybe a Numemon or Gotsumon. My hope is to explore her characterization and relationship to sport, her femininity, and her willingness to form friendships outside of her teammates, not obviate the need for a Digimon partner.

However, to outline her talents and where I expect she'll fit in a team, she's fast, maneuverable, and reasonably strong. She's able to fight as a full PL5 character unarmed, excels in a grapple, and when equipped with a baseball bat, bokken, or similar club-like implement she deals higher damage. If we ever have to square up with some nefarious humans, or some low level Digimon who want to eat us while our partners are otherwise occupied, she's your gal.

She also has high Acrobatics, Athletics, reasonable Perception and Insight, competent Throwing due to her sports background, and is capable at Stealth. When dealing with others her own age, her ranks in Cool give her quite an edge in Deception and Persuasion, falling back on her reputation, style, and status as an upperclassman. Adults still just see her as a kid still, though, so it doesn't work on them.

Depending on team makeup, I could see her taking on something akin to a leader role, though that isn't where I excel as a player. But with some points to spend, I could see her taking ranks in Inspire or Leadership, to fill out that Gogglehead position.

ABILITIES   DEFENSES  
Strength 2 Dodge 6
Stamina 4 Parry 6
Agility

Fortitude 5
Dexterity 0 Toughness 4
Fighting 4 Will 5
Intellect 0    
Awareness 2    
Presence 0    

POWERS

Practiced Runner (1pp)

... Speed 1: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round; Check Required: Athletics DC 10

Vaulting (1pp)

... Leaping 1: Leap 15 feet at 4 miles/hour; Check Required: Acrobatics DC 10

ADVANTAGES & SKILLS

Close Attack 2
Cool (Deception)
Cool (Persuasion)
Extraordinary Effort
Fast Grab
Improved Grab
Improved Hold
Improved Trip

Equipment 1

SKILL RANKS BONUS
Acrobatics 4 +8
Athletics 6 +8
Close Combat: Grab 2 +8
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 +8
Deception 4 +4*+9 vs Teens
Expertise: Academics 6 +6
Expertise 6 +6
Insight 4 +6
Intimidation 0 +0
Perception 4 +6
Persuasion 4 +4*+9 vs Teens
Ranged Combat: Thrown 8 +8
Stealth 2 +6

EQUIPMENT

Baseball Bat / Bokken / Etc.
... Strength-Based Damage 2

Remaining 3 points unspent

OFFENSES

Initiative +4

Unarmed Strength-based Damage
+8 vs Parry; DC17 vs Toughness

Grab Special
+8 vs Strength/Dodge; DC17 vs Athletics/Acrobatics

Baseball Bat/Bokken/Etc Strength-based Damage
+6 vs Parry; DC19 vs Toughness

Abilities 32pp / Powers 5pp / Advantages 7pp / Skills 23pp / Defenses 8pp

COMPLICATIONS:

• Quirk - Kyoka isn't famous by any stretch of the imagination, but her parents were fairly well known in their time. Occasionally that can be a benefit, and occasionally it makes her life a little more complicated.

Relationship - Kyoka is very close to her mother, and does her best to help her when she needs it.

Responsibility - Between school, her extracurricular activities, and the classes she takes outside of school, Kyoka's schedule is pretty busy. Her mother expects her to do well in all of them, and would notice if things started slipping.

Rivalry - While not as fiery as her teammates, she takes the rivalries between Takigawa High's baseball team and the teams from other schools seriously. She wants to make sure her school does well.

Posted (edited)

I plan on making this look as nice as Kyoka's app, but it's getting late and I have work in the morning. So, a HeroLab statblock will have to do for now, and I'll pretty it up when I'm next able to. I plan on following the traditional evolution route for Lopmon, going to Turuiemon, then Antylamon, then Cherubimon. I'm leaving the possibility of following the 'darker' line as an option, but it isn't where I'm leaning.

Lopmon - PL 8

Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 0, Awareness 4, Presence 0

Advantages
Close Attack 2, Disarming (DC 16), Evasion, Ranged Attack 8, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 6 (+8), Deception 6 (+6), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 6 (+6)

Powers
Attack Moves
   Blazing Ice! [Ice]: Damage 8 (DC 23; Increased Range: ranged)
   Lop Punch!: Strength-based Damage 6 (DC 23)
   Spinning Slap!: Strength-based Damage 6 (DC 23; Multiattack)
   Tiny Twister! [Wind]: Cumulative Affliction 8 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)
Lopmon!
   Big Floppy Ears: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round; Affects Others; Gliding, Wings)
   Durable: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
   Great Big Bunny Leaps: Leaping 3 (Leap 60 feet at 16 miles/hour)
   Speedy Little Feet: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)
   Stuffed Animal-Sized: Shrinking 4 (-1 STR, -2 Intimidate, +4 Stealth, +2 active defenses, -1 size rank; Permanent)

Offense
Initiative +4
Blazing Ice! [Ice]: Damage 8, +8 (DC 23)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 12)
Lop Punch!: Strength-based Damage 6, +8 (DC 23)
Spinning Slap!: Strength-based Damage 6, +8 (DC 23)
Throw, +8 (DC 17)
Tiny Twister! [Wind]: Cumulative Affliction 8, +8 (DC Fort 18)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 17)

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 6, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 34 + Advantages 15 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 120

Validation: Complications: At least 2 Complications are required

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Edited by Rayth (see edit history)

It took me about a thousand years, but I've finally got this in something approaching a proper state. I prefer to avoid posting an application until I'm actually done with it, but in the interest of not missing the due date, I figured I'd post what I've got. I've been lurking on this game since before recruitment started, but I've had a hard time settling on a concept that didn't feel like it was stepping on toes. But M&M is my favorite system, and I have a critical nostalgia weakness for Digimon, so I had to make an attempt.

So, here's Kyoka! I'm excited about how she turned out; interesting characterization, and fills a mechanical niche that I didn't see too much of. I also like that the art I found makes it look like she's wearing a classic Giants jacket, which she probably got from her dad.

And, I think Lopmon has the potential to be really fun to play, with a lot of room to grow. She's got a broad element spread available to her, too; between Ice, Wind, Dark, and potentially Earth depending on how her being an Earth element affects her regular punches. Not to mention, she's adorable, and along with Terriermon is among my favorite Digimon.

Let me know what you think!