Daemon "D" McKnight

Name: Daemon "D" McKnightdaemonmcknight512.png.6059ee224167162c2610f7918ccfb83c.png

Aspects

High Concept: Independent Mercenary Shadow Hunter

Trouble: Tethered to an ancient ghost

Marina: Healthy Obsession

Jason: Frenemy to the end

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Bleed Over

Refresh

Skills

Great (+4): Lore, Resources

Good (+3): Athletics?, Endurance

Fair (+2): Weapons, Discipline, Scholarship

Average (+1): Driving, Fists, Guns, Survival, Might

Stunts ?

Brand - item of power? -1?

Lush Lifestyle: Your wealth is well-established and robust, making you the man or woman who has everything. Normally, someone may be assumed to have an item that costs two steps less than his Resources without having to seek it out and buy it, assuming that it makes sense for him to have attained it previously. In your case, it’s any item equal to or less than your Resources.

Spirit Telekinesis - 'flux'

Gabriel is able to transmit poltergeist type powers through Daemon to manifest into the real world. This can be utilized in a number of different ways such as; closing a door, a force "push" (a la star wars), tossing an opponent around, making his own doorway, to using it on himself (such as a "boost" when climbing or jumping). This was revealed to Daemon when he attempted to jump off of a building and Gabriel used it to throw him back on the roof. After years of working together they have synced enough to allow Daemon to manifest it himself.

Spirit Shield - 'aegis'

A shield that manifests in the same way as telekinesis. This can also be used as a simple shield, a "cushion" when falling, or similar uses. It can also be used to cover, for example a limb or other body part, to prevent its squeezing or damage to the limb. Additionally, he could use it to be able to touch corrosive or damaging surfaces, if needed. This is also practiced enough that Daemon is able to manifest it without Gabriel initiating it. It is not visible when used.

Gabriel's Willpower - 'will'

Gabriel can transfer a boost to Daemons will. What this does is prevent anything from controlling Daemon (and thus Gabriel). He used this to prevent Atanase from gaining control and enthralling Daemon. It was also used with limited effects when a Red vampire caught him off guard and bit into his forearm. The euphoric effects slowed his heart down and threatened to relax him to allow further feeding. Instead, Daemon's heart rate accelerated and his head pounded to almost stroke levels to keep him awake and fighting. He was sick for a week after, but it allowed him to survive.

Languages (+3)

English

Conditions

Stress

[][][][][][]

In Peril(sticky) [4]

Doomed (lasting) [6]

indebted (sticky) [][][][][][]

Background

Separated from his twin as a baby after Mom/Dad divorced, and twin raised by Mom. Father, Jeremiah (Jay) McKnight taught him tales of monsters as he grew up, but these were not children's fairy tales. He would tell him that we were special, that we had the ability to help others, that people would come to ask for help because they were desperate and had nowhere else to turn.

When he was a young adult, he began to teach him the ropes, and what it really means to be a McKnight, likening the name to McKnight's in shining armor, so to speak. His Father eventually and abruptly handed the family business off to Daemon just before he passed away. He came home in a rush, bleeding profusely and muttering about a ghoul in the sewers. He woke Daemon up claiming it was his time to take over.

Orientation included a brand (chest), access to the secret workshop/database in the basement, and an annoying spirit his father called Asshole. He kept the spirit part a secret until his last moments. Just before Jeremiah's final breath, he whispered to Daemon, 'I'm sorry. Please forgive me.'

Moments after the elder McKnight passed, the being manifested itself to Daemon. 'Is the old man dead? Lucky bastard.' After a few moments of shock, Asshole, real name Gabriel, spoke again. "I don't suppose you are dying? Maybe an impending brain aneurysm? Heart attack? Nothing too slow like Diabetes or emphysema, I hope. I don't think I can suffer through your generation too, Kabecka. Damn millennials." Daemon was speechless. 'Off to a good start, are we? I can't be the one carrying all the wonderful conversations to come', the spirit said. 'Your father and I made a great team, his words, and now you and I must muddle through. Unless you die horribly and I can finally rest in peace. Sooner rather than later. I suppose you'll be wanting revenge now? Let's go, maybe I'll get a two-fer today and it'll rip you to shreds too.'

Daemon was not ripped to shreds, and managed to finish killing the already mortally injured ghoul in the sewers, much to Gabriels dismay. To be fair, his father did most of the work, the ghoul offered no resistance.

Daemon eventually came to an understanding with Gabriel, the spirit would make the effort to be helpful, if Daemon would 'try' to die quickly when the time came, and not to father any children. He was, however, a useful source of information, if nothing else, having lived through generations of McKnight's. Apparently, sometime in the past, the spirit was bound to the family and as long as there is a child to pass the 'curse' onto, the cycle continues. Daemon has since cut through Gabriel's lies and knows that heirs do not matter. When Daemon passes Gabriel can move to whomever he wishes.

He is able to both audibly talk to (generally when he is alone) and mentally communicate with the spirit. This effect sometimes appears to others that Daemon is a fountain of knowledge, which he uses to his advantage. Additionally, Daemon seems to be able to 'sense' supernatural beings due to his brand, which burns slightly in the presence of the supernatural, and sometimes due to Gabriel telling him, 'hey, vampires are here'.

Daemon does not advertise his services, having inherited contacts that inform him when he is needed.

Edited by Akwehawk (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Daemon's First C

ase          

Case 2014-001 February 3, 2014

Daemon stood outside the house on paradise dr near the street. It was close to 7pm and he was gathering his nerve. Its been two weeks since his father passed away and left Daemon with his empire of suck. He didn’t know what to do. It took him a week to access his fathers phone, and another few days to get into his files. His father had many missed calls, texts, and emails. One particular text from a contact had an address and the message ‘needs help. Seems desperate.’ This was from a ‘P’, listed in his fathers phone contacts. Probably one of his intermediaries.

Gonna stand here all day like an asshole?

That voice again. Daemon sighed and walked to the door. Exterior lights came on as he approached and the door opened before he could knock. A disheveled man appeared, looking exhausted and hopeful. Daemons brand burned once the door opened.

Jay? I hope you’re Jay. Please be Jay, he pleaded.

Daemon paused at the name.

Ahh. No, I’m Daemon. Jay was my father.

The man seemed disappointed, but still hopeful.

Was?

Is there something I can help you with?, Daemon cut him off. He didn’t want to continue with this banter, considering the subject matter. He had yet to come to terms with it all. The man seemed briefly crestfallen and invited Daemon in. He said his name was Dale, and then motioned for Daemon to follow him down the hall.

Gabriel manifested in the lobby, a few feet away, staring intently toward the interior of the house.

Bring a cross?

Daemon did not. He has never been religious and didn’t understand those who were. His father was always busy and never took him to church. Was there a reason? Daemon had the brand on his chest, presumably an element of the binding ritual. Was that all it did? He had the library in the ‘sanctum’, his father called it, the vault filled with tools and weapons, and the desktop with a ton of information. No cross though. Some of the items were self explanatory, but some were not. Maybe there's a cross in the vault.

Daemon tried to remember some of the lessons his father told him once it was revealed what took him away most nights. He couldn’t remember anything about a cross. When he didn’t immediately answer, Gabriel turned to him with a look of derision and disappeared. Some help he is.

Daemon entered a living area. There were six members of this family and they all appeared exhausted. They had arranged sleeping quarters in the center of the room and shoved all the furniture as close to the walls as possible. There were cuts and scrapes on several. Daemons brand burned hotter, almost unbearably, and then Dale spoke up.

Our house is haunted by a ghost. It keeps us up all night and day. Throws things at us. It bites and claws. It only shows itself to my boy Tommy, and doesn’t seem to hurt him. We try and stay all together so it cant get us alone.

Gabriel suddenly reappeared next to him, closer than he would like.

Get out now. This is beyond you. Contact Father Jeremy and do as he says. This is no ghost.

Daemon stood there dumbfounded. He had been at the clients house less than two minutes and he was to leave? He noticed the boy looking in the general area where Gabriel stood.

Make up something. Just get out now.

Daemon looked at the family once again. They were clearly terrified.

I’m sorry, I can’t help you. I’ll speak to Father Jeremy and we will be in contact.

At the mention of Father Jeremy getting in contact the little boy shifted to look at Daemon.

No Holies! No! Holies must not interfere!, the voice had a growling, guttural sound to it and his father looked at the boy in shock.

Unnerved, Daemon backed up toward the door. Dale grabbed his arm in an effort to stop and plead with him.

I’m sorry, was all he could muster as he left the room for the door.

Daemon was back in his car, a few blocks away when he found his voice.

Why?, Daemon said in exasperation.

Gabriel's voice echoed in his head.

You would only make it worse. Mentioning Father Jeremy will accelerate things.

That stung. I made it worse?

What is it? Was I in danger?, he asked.

A demon. Danger? Maybe. I doubt possession would have stuck. He had the boy and there’s only room for one asshole and me in your form you call a body. But as much as I would find it funny to watch a little boy hand you your ass, I would do your father a disservice if I got you killed so quickly. In time you'll learn what evil feels like and you won't need me to tell you.

Daemon looked Gabriel in the eyes through the rear view mirror. Gabriel feigned being injured.

What? I have a heart.

A pause.

Somewhere. Now call Father Jeremy. His church is at the corner of Avondale and Young. And get a cross whether you believe or not.

2014-001 Addendum

Follow up; Father Jeremy, Daemon, Bishop Reynolds, and of course Gabriel returned to the home once the Bishop landed, about a week later. The two clergy were planning an exorcism and Daemon’s job was security. He was also given a cross by Father Jeremy.

The home seemed darker than before and Dale did not greet them at the door. It took several minutes of pounding before the mother answered the door. She showed no emotion and only walked away, leaving the door wide open. Gabriel advised that its worse than before.

The house seemed to be more in disarray than before and no one spoke. The little boy ranted and raved and the demon was more overt, having cowed the rest of the family at this point. The holy men immediately recognized the severity of the situation and jumped right into their roles. Father Jeremy nodded to Daemon to grab the child. After weathering a few scratches and cuts and a flying chair, Daemon managed to restrain the boy from behind and held him down on the floor, on top of him. The boy had a strength that he should not have for his age, but reality is he was still just a boy.

Lights flickered, loose objects were telekinetically tossed around, the boy spewed hatred in that guttural sounding voice, and the other family members would interfere. After about an hour of being battered around, Bishop Reynolds touched the cross to the boys forehead and recited some words. When it came into contact with his skin, it seemed to briefly burn and the boy-demon screamed.

Daemon felt the strength from the boy disappear and his body went limp. The lights stopped flickering and those from the family that were standing collapsed in exhaustion. One of the other children immediately went to sleep. Dogs from nearby houses in the neighborhood barked at the demon as it fled the home. Gabriel disappeared and reappeared moments later saying it’s gone and shouldn’t be back to this family, but it could turn up again.

Daemon was unnaturally tired and relaxed as the two church men provided further aid by walking around and reciting more verses. Daemon never knew that something like this could be so tiring. Daemon drove the clergy back to the church and went home, tended to his wounds and collapsed on his couch.

Atanase                   

Case 2017-042 April 12, 2017

A text from ‘P’; meet tonight, 1201 candy lane, 8, urgent.

Daemon stared at the text with concern. He has never met ‘P’, and it has always been a text, never in person. Something wasn’t right. If it was urgent, why wait until 8? It was still late morning.
He was bothered all day by this new development and never noticed Gabriel acting strange. Well, stranger than normal. In some moments he was actually nice and cordial. Something definitely was amiss but Daemon chose to ignore it, maybe for once Gabriel is letting him research in peace. He spent the day in the sanctum, on the computer and in the library, chasing down any information on P, the address, anything that could squash this feeling that something was wrong. Nothing. Nothing that jumped out at him anyway. There were hundreds of cases prompted by a text from P, and father apparently never met with this contact either.

Gabriel was unusually silent when he was visible. After parking the car and walking to his regular business dinner with Marina, he noticed Gabriel looking at something that seemed concerning to him.

Something wrong?

Gabriel played it off, Nope.

Unusually short and out of character.

The dinner with Marina was pleasant, and peaceful. Gabriel was either invisible, gone, or quiet. When he was present he did say something to Marina about a peeping tom, but didn’t elaborate. Daemon looked in the direction Gabriel seemed to refer to, but didn’t see anything. His demeanor seemed to lighten a little in Marinas presence, but he still seemed to ignore Daemon. Who would have thought the silent treatment was a blessing?

Daemon and Marina swapped their stories, information, and any jobs as usual. Gabriel brought up the puzzling text and mentioned what it said and from whom. He told her the odd feeling he had and provided her with the address and who it was from. Just in case.

After dinner and the normal pleasantries were complete, Daemon set off to his meeting with P, a little early, but it might be safer scoping the address out first.

The address was typical enough. It was a large plot of land on the corner of Candy lane and Tremont dr, with the house near the center. He parked near the road and walked up. The door was slightly ajar and Daemon entered.

P?

The house seemed deserted and Daemon walked around inside, looking for his contact.

Gabriel materialized and spoke, his voice softer than normal.

Stop.

It wasn’t a command. It sounded like he was pleading.

Daemon stopped and faced his direction and waited.

I know what this is. Your contact is dead and if it has its way, you will be too. And me.

When Daemon didn’t respond, Gabriel continued.

It’s a vampire. Your father dealt with it once and let it live. For me. I knew its human mother back in the day and it blames me for her death. To get to me it needs to kill you.

Daemon’s jaw clenched. 

And you thought NOW was the right time to say something? How does it even know about you?

Gabriel seemed to lose patience.

As I said, your father dealt with it. It knows how our predicament works. Thankfully your father chose mercy over violence and I hope you are your father's son.

Vampire. Fantastic.

OK, let’s pretend I am not the expert in all things Vampire. What kills it? Stake?

Gabriel’s eyes widened. Don’t kill him. You may not get to know what its like being a father, but your father did.

Daemon moved closer, venom in his voice.

You withheld information, tantamount to lying for your own selfish reasons. I didn’t bring anything that could hurt this thing, but you knew that, didn’t you? That’s why you said nothing. You’ve always wanted this. Me to die so you can too. He paused for dramatic effect, then continued.

What? Your conscience get the better of you right before it kills me?

Gabriel stared him down.

Behind you.

Daemon had learned what the purpose of the brand warning was long before this day. It would burn slightly, notifying him something supernatural was near. He couldn’t see it, or determine what it was, but that “sixth sense brand" warned him more than once that something else was around other than Gabriel. He was so angry at the moment that he never recognized it.

It happened too fast. He turned around and it loomed in front of him. He never got a good look at it before it tossed him into a nearby wall.

It was immensely strong. Daemon hit his head and his world went hazy. It was on him immediately after. After what seemed like minutes, likely seconds, it stopped and glanced away at something and seemed to snarl.

Then a familiar voice shouted over the chaos.

Leave him alone or I'll shoot!

It was Marina's voice.

The Fae glanced back at Daemon and then leaned closer.

I know how to find you.

The weight on him lessened and it fled. It clearly had the advantage, why flee?

He saw Marina standing near the doorway, her pistol in hand, tracking the creature as it jumped out the window.

Once it was gone she ran over to him.

Everything was hazy. He remembered Gabriel yelling to get moving, and Marina helped him to the car and tended to his head. It wasn't as bad as it felt. It just rung his bell.

Did she follow me?

He had questions, but now was not the time. Gabriel was silent again, thankfully, as his head was pounding. The changeling was gone, it seemed. The pendant was cool. Who knows when it could come back, and now it might know Marina’s face. 

Damn it Gabriel.

Marina refused to let him drive home and instead made him ride in hers. Upon arrival she helped him inside. Once everything was settled and Marina had left, he questioned some recent decisions.
Is it a good thing he involved Marina by telling her where he was going? Tough choice, death or put Marina in danger. She clearly is able to handle herself, but we might have to revisit this at the next dinner. 

Daemon took a handful of aspirin and planned to sleep it off, hopefully he'll feel better in the morning. Knowing you werent supposed to sleep so soon after a head injury, he was passed the point of caring. If he doesnt wake up, Gabriel wins. Daemon promised himself he will find a way to haunt Gabriel in the afterlife and pester him for eternity.

He woke up feeling much better.

And Gabriel was sitting quietly on the couch.

Not only did you put us in danger, but you may have endangered Marina. I know you wouldn't want that, despite all your posturing.

Gabriel sighed. He did warn Asha, who told Marina in an effort to try and derail the trainwreck to come, but Daemon doesn't need to know that. That will only further his point. Everyone is alive, including his adopted child.

In all my time, alive, and how you see me now, I have only apologized three times and meant it. Once to my wife after she died, and once to your father, after he spared my son. I am sorry.

Daemon pursed his lips. I can't let it be that easy. He caused so much damage. Withholding information, endangering Marina, endangering me and ultimately him.

Fuck off, Asshole.

The Lumen Tower Job          

Case 2018-033 August 15, 2018

Daemon left Bram’s bar after his weekly meet with Marina. He neglected to tell her he was working something this night, and instead told her he was going home. She wouldn’t be able to help him even if he got into some sort of trouble and would only put herself in danger, and he wasn't going to risk it. As he walked out the front door he took out his phone and called a PI he had been working with.

Mike, I’m heading there now.

Gabriel appeared briefly.

Not going to tell her eh?

No, and neither are you, he looked Gabriel in the eye. He disappeared in response.

Elizabeth Harris had contacted Daemon through ‘G’, who had previously set Daemon’s sights on a Malcolm Shaw. Shaw was the de facto leader of a cult that had made it’s nest on the top floor of the Lumen tower. Now Elizabeth’s daughter, Hannah 19, was captive amongst the cult followers. She had been suckered in by a boy she liked and now couldn’t get out. Her safety was a concern as a previous escapee had explained Shaw was conducting magical experiments on his subjects, specifically young women. She didn’t know what for.

Elizabeth contacted the police for help but since Hannah was an adult and went willingly, no help was really given. A police officer did a cursory welfare check, but was apparently satisfied she was ok. He never saw her face to face and allegedly spoke to her from a lobby telephone. Thus the PI, and Daemon. Mike had observed questionable subjects in the lobby so there was concern that they wouldn’t get beyond the first floor if they made a rescue attempt, not to mention the stairwell and lobby were accessed only via code. A rather unorthodox plan was developed.

Daemon made his way to Hopkins International at almost midnight and boarded a small plane piloted by a contact of his, David Wells. Once in the air he donned the parachute he packed and latched another bag to his harness and sidled over to the door. Gabriel looked out the window with concern, and back at Daemon, who was putting a black balaclava over his face. He readied a Night Observation Device and secured it to his head, and then waited. David gave the thumbs up when they were over the target and Daemon responded in kind, and then opened the door and jumped after affixing his NOD over his eyes. Gabriel disappeared.

Daemon had always been a thrill seeker and with the money his father and he had, what else was there to do? This jump was somewhere around number 30. He allowed himself to plummet for a bit and then opened the parachute. The nights before when he and Mike were performing a recce of the tower, they had spray painted arrows on the roofs of two nearby buildings that pointed toward the Lumen. He could see the arrows now and directed the chute to the roof of the tower. The extra weight made things a little more difficult than usual, but he landed like he had many times before, rolled, and stood back up, already untangling himself. Gabriel materialized and headed to the roof access door. Damien stuffed the rig haphazardly back into the pack and dropped it over the edge of the building on the alley side. He would have no further need for it. Mike would pick it up and dispose of it. He pulled another smaller rig out of the bag and laid it on the ground and headed for the door.

It’s clear on the other side. A stairwell leads down. Gabriel said after rematerializing through the door.

Daemon pulled out a crowbar from the bag he still carried and pried the door open and entered. Careful not to make any noise he maneuvered down the stairs and into a hallway on the top floor. Everything was quiet and everyone likely asleep, secure in the thought that no one could get to them. He followed the hallway stopping at each door. Gabriel moved in and out of each door, checking rooms. He emerged from one and Daemon’s brand felt warm.

Shrine of some sort. Magic components. On the way out.

Gabriel continued down the hall, checking for more. After about seven more rooms, he stopped.

This one. She’s tied to the bed and there’s a male asleep in a chair, his back to the door.

Daemon tried the door. It was locked and not able to be picked. He needed to be fast. He jammed the crowbar between the door and jamb and yanked. The door gave and he shouldered it the rest of the way. As he entered the male was stirring and trying to shake the sleep from his eyes. Daemon wrapped his arms around his neck in a sleeper choke and applied pressure. It took only moments for the sleepy guard to go limp, and Daemon let him go. He fell to the floor with a soft thud.

Without hesitating he moved to the girl and cut her bindings with his pocket knife. She stirred and began struggling with the sudden chaos in the room. He covered her mouth and put his finger to his lips.

Shhh. Your mother Elizabeth sent me. Are you ready to go home? Can you walk?

After a few seconds in which Hannah took to process the developments, she nodded.

Do as I say and be quiet, and follow me.

Gabriel materialized nearby.

Hallway is still clear, but the nearby rooms are waking. We need to go.

Daemon helped the girl up and pulled her along, back tracking to the door to the room Gabriel found the shrine. He flipped up his NOD as it might get too bright and entered the room, leaving the girl in the hallway motioning for her to wait. Daemon reached into the pack he carried and pulled out several thermate bombs. Daemon had obtained thermite kits easily available on the web (Iron oxide, aluminum, and sparklers). He put it together himself and added peroxide that made the reaction more localized. He set them down around the shrine and lit the sparklers. The familiar hissing noise enveloped the room, but Daemon was already out the door, pulling the NOD back over his eyes. He nudged the girl in the direction of the roof access door.

Just as they reached the stairwell door the fire suppression system turned on and began waking the entire floor. Grumbles and shouts could be heard throughout the level. Hopefully the thermate did its job and ruined any magical projects. Bounding up the stairs he shut the roof door after Hannah joined him. He then placed a detaclad sheet over both the door and jamb near the bottom. He lit the fuse and a chemical reaction welded the metal door and metal jamb together. Hopefully this will hold them long enough to get away if they figure out where they went to.

Daemon tossed the bag over the edge near the same location as the first parachute and then picked up the rig he left earlier. This one had a harness attached.

You have to trust me, okay? I need you to step into this and wrap this around your shoulders.

She hesitated but to her credit did as she was told.

He proceeded to help secure her in the tandem rig. This was a similar chute used for training purposes and to take those that wanted the experience of skydiving but wanted none of the responsibility. He modified it slightly to be used in base jumping.

There was a banging on the door and Daemon and Hannah hobbled over to the street edge of the building and jumped. Daemon immediately tossed the weight to open the chute and it opened over the city. The extra weight dropped them a little faster than he would have liked but it did open and served its purpose. They landed in the empty street, and he instinctively rolled when he touched ground. He did his best to use his body to cushion the fall for Hannah and was already working to unhook the chute when they stopped.

They walked another two blocks to where Mike was waiting in the car. He opened the passenger door for Hannah and let her in. He tossed the chute he was carrying in the backseat of the car.

Not coming? Mike asked.

Daemon shook his head.

Nope. This was all you. The other equipment is in the alley. Tell Elizabeth not to contact me or G.

He shut the door and let Mike drive off to take the girl home.

Gabriel materialized.

They were performing some type of ritual. I only saw it for a second so I can’t be sure what for. He said with some concern.

Daemon feigned disbelief.

Something you don’t know? I’m shocked.

There was a photograph of you at the bar. You were not alone.

Daemon stared at Gabriel.

Let’s get out of here.

Friends                     

FRIENDS

Neighborhood near Marina's Apartment

August 18-23, 2018

Daemon sat exhausted in the driver’s seat of his extended cab pickup, just a few blocks from Marina’s apartment. Gabriel “sat” in the seat next to him. This made the third day since the Lumen job and it was now after midnight.

Maybe you should tell her. She has other friends.

I don’t. Daemon snapped back. He needed her in his life, more than she needed him in hers. Would she stop meeting with him if she knew? Could he risk it? He had to see this through if it kills him.

There was an awkward silence until Gabriel spoke again.

It is possible that the pic burned up and they know only to look for you. Or that maybe you caused so much damage they need to recover.

Daemon considered that. He shook his head and sighed before continuing.

No, we have to assume they have more, and they know who she is.

More silence.

He leaned back the best he could to get comfortable.

Let me know if you see anything.

Daemon shut his eyes and lingered between dreaming and reflection. He couldn’t really sleep sitting up so he just rested his eyes. He thought of a different life. A life without Gabriel. A life without the stress, without the horror, without the danger. Anything with a higher quality of life. A life with a wife, kids, maybe a dog or two. It occurred to him that he really had only one woman in his life. He thought of her as a good friend, confidante, business partner at times, and sister. Could things have been different? Should they have? Was it better this way? Daemon lived by his promise to not father children but he never agreed to not have a partner. He had needs like everyone else but he also had money. He could buy that if he wanted. But what about a woman he could talk and share things with? Did he really want a life being single, only Gabriel for conversation, and a once a week business meeting?

It was better this way, wasn’t it?

Wasn't it?

Daemon. Wake up. Daemon!

His name seemed to echo in his head and he stirred awake.

Car drove by twice. I recognize the driver from one of the rooms at the Lumen. Black Nissan Altima. Driver and passenger.

Daemon looked at him incredulously.

I’m impressed. Cars now huh?

Gabriel didn’t react.

It’s a common car, isn’t it? Fitting it’s driven by common thugs.

Daemon shrugged and put his truck in drive. He creeped around the nearest corner and could see Marina’s apartment from where he was. So could the thugs in the Altima. The vehicle was stopped and pulled over to the side of the road.

What are they doing? What are they planning? No matter. Daemon was about to derail those plans. He gunned it and drove in the oncoming lane briefly and took a sharp right turn into the driver’s side. The bull bars on the front of his truck not only protected the truck, but easily crumpled the left side doors, shattered the windows, severely damaging the b pillar, and set off the side airbag, effectively pinning the driver in. He backed the truck up, separating the vehicles.

Daemon immediately got out and ran to the passenger side. The impact had shoved the car a foot or two and the passenger was frantically trying to get out and make sense of what was happening. Daemon could see the driver, his left arm and legs appeared to be pinned and he was trying to free himself. The man was coughing and appeared dazed. Daemon opened the passenger door and grabbed a handful of passenger hair and yanked him out. The man was yelping while he did so, trying to grab Daemon’s hand and steady himself as he was pulled from the car. Daemons right hand found the pistol in his hip holster, he cleared leather, and brought the butt down across the mans yelping face.

Shut up and listen. Stop your crying.

He paused briefly and leaned closer when he stopped making that awful noise.

This woman is a close friend of mine and I will kill everyone you know for her. Take a message to Shaw. If he wants me, meet me here. Tell that coward to come after me. I’ll be waiting.

He let go of the man’s hair and threw a small card at his lap with his home address on it. He never gave those out, but it was handy to have this night. Daemon wasn’t particularly worried about any type of assault on his house. If someone managed to get in, and that was an if, he had a few nasty surprises for them. The vault wasn’t just night vision and parachutes.

Help your pal and go. Never let me see your face again.

The man grabbed for the card, looked at Daemon and took off running, leaving the driver. He had managed to free himself, and was gingerly moving to the passenger seat. After a few more moments he got out of the car, looked at Daemon with hate in his eyes and limped off in the direction his buddy went.

Daemon walked back to his truck and reached in the backseat and pulled one of his homemade thermate bombs. He lit it, and threw it in the car. It should set the car ablaze in moments and fully engulfed by the time the fire department arrives. He got back in his truck and left the neighborhood. Gabriel rematerialized in the passenger seat.

Now what, he asked.

We go home and wait.

McKnight Estate

Three days went by and it was now Tuesday.

You’re supposed to meet Marina tomorrow. How long do you want to wait?

Gabriel had a particularly grating voice today.

As long as it takes, he snapped.

I need to figure this out. I am not going to face her with this still hanging over my head. She’ll read through me like yesterdays news.

This was strange. Why haven’t they come to his house? It wouldn’t be fear, would it? Wizard, warlock, sorcerer, or whatever he is and his army of misfit thugs?

No. Something isn’t right. Maybe he should go back to Marina’s neighborhood. Maybe another drop on the roof of the Lumen? That probably won’t work, they likely secured the roof by now.

He turned to Gabriel.

Thoughts on why they didn’t take the bait?

To use a more modern term, your father was a badass. Maybe his reputation precedes you. As I was back in the day. I wouldn’t want to face me, and even as I am now I can still hold my own.

Daemon sighed with resignation.

You going to annoy them to death?

Gabriel looked Daemon in the eyes, seriousness etched all over his ghostly face.

There are things I can still do but choose not to.

Daemon shook his head slightly.

You know, there shouldn’t be secrets between us.

Gabriel partially chuckled. That’s how I keep my edge.

Daemons phone rang, the display said Mike, and he answered.

It wasn’t Mike.

Daemon McKnight. Shaw wants to meet at the bar. Neutral ground. Thursday 7 pm.

The phone disconnected.

Gabriel stood silent next to Daemon, waiting.

Mike’s dead, Daemon said finally. Shaw wants to meet at the bar on Thursday.

If he got to Mike, he probably knows it was me the other night. I must assume that.

Gabriel spoke up. He knew that before Mike. Don't be an idiot.

When Daemon seemed far away, thinking, Gabriel spoke up again, sounding strangely sincere.

You have the means and the tools to solve this. It just needs that personal magnetism of yours. So, what would your father do?

He's only being nice to me because this helps Marina.

He would not have let it get this far. Or put anyone else in danger. He would have killed Shaw a long time ago.

You do not know him like you think you do. Now may be the time for the nuclear option. He pointed to the phone.

Nuclear option? He talking about magic?

You have some calls to make and very little time to set it up. Start with texting Marina and telling her you can't make it.

<Sorry Marina, I cannot make our dinner tomorrow. I’ll make it up to you. See you next week. I promise.>

Bram's Bar

Daemon sat in the same seat and table at Bram's he always sat in on Wednesday evenings. This week was the first time he missed the meeting since he met her, and he hated it. He hated only seeing her once a week. He hated this life he was forced into. Was he becoming more bitter and angrier than Gabriel?

It was still before 7 and most of the tables were occupied. The waitress brought his water, seemingly perplexed he didn’t order the usual. He needed to be focused for this.

He watched and waited and checked his watch. It was now 7:25. Was this a ploy? A ruse of some type? His pendant was burning, but that wasn’t exactly unusual here and Gabriel didn’t speak up.

There was movement outside. A car pulled up and several men got out, numbering about seven. Most stayed outside, however two entered. One was Mr. Passenger and he still had a bruise over his left orbital bone. The other had to be Shaw.

The man that had to be Shaw smiled as he walked over to Daemon’s table. Passenger went to pull the chair opposite Daemon out for Shaw, but Daemon instead intercepted him. He shook his head as he grabbed for the chair and yanked it out of Passengers hands.

This one belongs to someone else.

He said as he swung it away to another table, accidentally striking another man with it who had just sat down. This man got up and turned to face Daemon.

Apologies, I meant no offense. The man nodded and sat back down, apparently accepting the apology.

Daemon then grabbed another unused chair and kicked it to Passenger. He then sat back down.

A little dramatic are we? A little petty? I’m not sure we are off to a good start. Here, I’ll start over. I am Malcolm Shaw, he said as he extended his hand.

Daemon made no move to shake it. Daemon had already accepted that Mike was dead and felt nothing but contempt for this man.

Shaw sat down and retracted his hand.

Well. It’s good to finally speak to you. Call me Mal. You helped dear Hannah escape the other night, didn’t you?

Was this a test? He had to know, according to Gabriel. If he said no, he would know he was lying, if he said yes, would that be worse?

Yes, but you knew that already, didn’t you?

Shaw smiled. Of course, Mike told me. He is sad you got him into this mess. Cried himself to death. It took a while. He leaned in, psychomancy will do that to you.

Daemon tried his best to stay stoic. That was too easy. How arrogant this Shaw is. Did he just confess to murder already? And with magic? Daemon’s excitement grew. This will work, I just have to buy more time.

But he finally said it was you and not him in the tower. His confession was unnecessary. Are you eating? I could eat.

No. Daemon truthfully couldn’t stomach eating while talking to this man.

Alright, you, Mr. McKnight, are making my life exceedingly difficult, so I returned the favor. I asked you here to end this silliness. I am not sure what brought you to my doorstep but I have no beef with you anymore. Let’s let bygones be bygones.

He paused and smiled that sinister yet oddly charming smile again.

This whole thing was your doing after all. I had no idea you existed and was content in minding my little empire and you had to go snooping around. You should have come to me first and we could have sorted this out without any bloodshed or hurt feelings.

Daemon continued to stare. He refused to be charmed by this filth.

I see you are still hung up on this Mike thing. Maybe this will help you sleep at night. I played a little game in my head to see whom you cared about most. Something I did just to amuse myself. Well guess what? Mike was not it. Seriously, you need to find more friends, even I have more than two. I can’t blame you; I would have chosen the woman too.

That was a compliment. You chose correctly.

Now, I am willing to call a truce so I can get back to minding my own business and you can get back to killing monsters or whatever it is you do. I will leave your last friend alone, seriously, get more friends, and you will forget everything you know about me.

He let that sink in. At the implied mention of Marina, Gabriel materialized right next to Shaw, daggers in his eyes.

Marina will never hear of this, Daemon glared at Gabriel. He disappeared.

When Daemon didn’t immediately answer, Shaw slapped the table.

Seriously?! Is this a hard decision to make?! I will hurt you so bad your ancestors will feel it. You cannot win. You cannot beat me. He spat out his words.

Daemon interrupted.

You wouldn’t have agreed to meet me here if you thought you could win. I told you where to meet me and instead you kill someone that had nothing to do with you. He was only in it for the girl. Coward.

Gabriel appeared next to Daemon. Be careful Kabecka.

Daemon was adept at ignoring that normally sarcastic drone in his ears, and this time was no different.

Shaw leaned closer. You had the home field advantage; I am not stupid. Although I have the numbers, the magic, and the moxie, any losses on my part may set me back. Make no mistake, any other setting and I shut you down.

Daemon’s phone was in his pocket and on silent. He glanced at his watch, it was off. Damn it, Electronics don’t work around him. Do they? How could I forget?

Daemon sat back and sighed.

Maybe you’re right. Maybe I can’t beat you. Maybe I’ll die in the process. I haven’t had a real test with a magic practitioner. But maybe I don’t need to, in this case anyway.

He got Shaw’s attention now.

I can’t hurt you here either, on neutral ground.

There was a commotion outside as several other figures appeared to confront those outside. Shaw’s men seemed to give up without a fight. Passenger thug glanced around, not comprehending what was happening. Shaw didn’t seem to notice.

It was time for the knife.

See, I work through intermediaries. It’s safer, but sometimes it’s a headache. I may not have the magic, or the moxie you called it, but I have the contacts. They may not be friends exactly, but they don’t need to be. I’m happy with my one friend.

Shaw narrowed his eyes, apparently not seeing the bigger picture.

Daemon decided to clear it up for him.

After speaking with Hannah and Connie, you know the first one that escaped? There are some concerns over breaking the fourth law, I suspect you may be looking to violate the seventh law, and I know what Psychomancy is. Was the third law broken? But the kicker is you used it to kill Mike, a definite first law break. And you admitted it. Just now. I thought it would take much more to draw it out of you, but your arrogance worked to my advantage.

Shaw smiled.

This is all a misunderstanding. Your word against mine. And since you didn’t agree to my proposal, all bets are off. You don’t know what you are talking about, and you are in over your head.

Shaw moved to get up and leave but noticed the man Daemon struck with the chair had turned his to face Shaw.

Now it was Daemon’s turn to smile.

Maybe I don’t know what I am talking about, but this man does. Your voice carries and I am certain he heard our entire conversation from three feet away. Oh, and I understand this is neutral ground, but you have to leave the bar sometime.

The man got up from his chair and moved to sit in Daemon’s chair as he got up.

Sit down, I have questions, he said.

Shaw looked bewildered at the sudden turn of events, and reluctantly sat down.

Daemon walked off but stopped and whispered in Shaw’s ear.

I suspect I won’t, but if I ever see you again, I will kill you. And all your friends.

He then left the building.

McKnight Estate

Daemon sat on his deck in the back, nursing a drink to Mike.

Did Dad ever have anyone he confided in? Or a woman? I don’t remember.

Gabriel materialized.

Your father had no one but me and you. He let his work consume him. Said any relationships got in the way, and gave anyone ammunition to use against him if compromised. It was bad enough he had you to worry about. I do remember he said ‘better to be unattached than burdened with emotions for another.’ Makes it easier to make decisions when there's no way they can hurt you.

There was awkward silence.

You’re thinking about Marina again, aren’t you. Not a question, more a statement.

Only you can make the choice, but my advice is to let it go. Keep it the way it is. Make the sacrifice and consider it business only.

I don’t think I can.

Does she make me stronger? Or does she hinder me? What would the tough choice be? Do I keep things the way they are and risk her getting hurt? Or do I ghost her and unburden her and me?

He downed the remainder of the drink and picked up his phone.

<Marina. Sorry about yesterday. See you next Wednesday.>

Daemon Runs                 

McKnight Estate 2020

Daemon was rummaging through the old desk his father used to use, before computers became a real thing. He never used it as most of the items had been moved to the main office anyway.

There was a journal in here somewhere, I think. He needed information on a vampire his father had run into and who he believed might have returned. It wasn’t in any database on the main server, but he thought he saw it written somewhere.

He reached his hand into one of the drawers and felt something in the back. He pulled it out and examined it. It appeared to be some sort of journal with papers shoved in the pages.

He took some of them out and began reading. Scribbles, and more scribbles that seemed to be in a different language. Some diagrams of what? A pyramid? More scribbles. This page has something legible. End of line what? End of Line. What is that?

He read aloud.

"If whosoever denies continuation of enthrallment shall pass the current patron…"

What the hell does that mean?

"Gabriel!"

Gabriel materialized, saw what he had in his hand and immediately looked unhappy.

"I… thought he burned that."

"What is the End of Line?"

Gabriel stood motionless for moments. Then he finally spoke.

"It means if there is no heir, when you die, we both die. That’s all. No more curse."

Daemon regarded Gabriel with a stare.

"Then why does that seem to upset you?"

"It doesn’t, I just thought he had burned it."

This doesn’t make sense. So, I don’t become a ghost? My choice is either have a child and pass the curse, or don’t and everything stops? More lies.

"What the fuck, Gabriel? Is anything you say truth?"

"There is truth to everything I say. You just choose not to listen."

Gabriel was unmoving.

Flabbergasted, Daemon spits out.

“Bullshit! Everything that spews out of your mouth is nothing but subterfuge and misdirection!”

He was beginning to openly question everything.

“Why would he burn these if they are true? They aren’t, are they?"

He waited.

"They are."

"No! None of it is! Why can I never get a straight answer out of you!? Tell me straight for once!"

Gabriel was quiet.

"Tell me or I’ll walk out these doors and get the first woman I see pregnant, and you’ll stay a ghost forever. I’ll call that girl from the library with the annoying voice and you’ll be saddled with a nerd with a grating voice forever."

Gabriel was still.

"Tell me!"

He knew he had something because he was silent. He didn’t know what, but he apparently stepped on the right nerve.

“It’s true. End of line is just what it sounds like. You die, we die. The transfer rite has to be performed on an heir in order for me to be transferred, hence your brand."

Daemon fingered the brand.

"So, if I have a child, and choose NOT to transfer it, you die with me?"

Gabriel nodded slowly. “Yes.”

Daemon was livid. He threw the journal down and picked up the back of the chair and hurled it across the room, it shattered against a wall.

“You son a bitch all this time?! Since day one?! Day one! I held off with everything for this! For you! You twist everything!"

Gabriel stood there, mute. Daemon was so angry; his veins were popping.

"You made me think I was doing the right thing by you."

I could have been with Marina. Not to have a child, but I wouldn’t have to worry if it got serious. Damn it! All this time.

"Never again. Never again will I believe your bullshit."

He seethed. I still have a shot with Marina. I can salvage this. Father had a family and was still able to work. He had me and was still able to work. Gabriel is wrong in this. It is possible to do what I do and still raise a family if someone wanted. I can still just be with Marina.

Gabriel could see the machinery working in his head.

“Leave her alone. It is not worth it. She will only hinder you.”

“No! YOU have hindered me! Every. Step of the way. She makes me stronger, whether she realizes it or not, SHE is the sole reason I am who I am!”

He found himself pointing his finger at Gabriel. He took it down a notch.

“Don’t. Don’t Gabriel. Never again will I take any of your bullshit at face value. I am going to do something for me, for once. You get no say in this.”

There was a knock on the door. Daemon walked to the foyer and looked through the spyhole. He was looking straight into a mirror. His… twin? He opened the door and just stared.

"Hi, Daemon? I’m Seth."

Gabriel approached. "Now there is two of them. Sheesh."

Daemon nodded.

“I have always wanted to meet you, but I’m afraid I am not here for that. Mom died. She was on her way here… and they found her at a rest stop in the car.”

Daemon didn’t speak, but instead stared. He was still angry, and now this.

“Uh. They think her heart gave out. There’s no autopsy, so the medical examiner got a doc to sign the death certificate. Going to take her back to Montana.”

Daemon took it in. He didn’t know these people at all. He should feel something, shouldn’t he?

“Ah. She was going to come and surprise you. She wanted to see you in person, but when she didn’t check in with me, I went looking for her."

“I just thought you should know. I didn’t have your number, so.”

Daemon nodded in understanding.

"I need to head back and handle the arrangements; can we exchange numbers?"

Daemon came to his senses and agreed. They traded numbers and Seth walked off.

Gabriel had that sneer again.

“Aren’t you having a bad day.”

Daemon spent the remaining afternoon in his gym, working off steam. This morning was rough, but he was determined to make the day better. For the first time in his life, he felt excited. Excited at the possibility of happiness.

Dinner in 2020

Nothing went according to plan. Marina brought Jason. She brought someone else to this dinner. Of all dinners, why this one?

I knew right away I was too late. I caught her looking his way as he walked away. She never looked at me that way.

I told Marina about my mother and Seth stopping by, but I feel nothing for either of them.

Dinner in 2022

Jason. Again. Now he is seeing spirits. Is it too much to ask that things go back to the way they were? I came clean with him about who I really am. I told him who I was, and tried to pass advice from Gabriel to him, but I don’t know if his advice was truth. Probably not.

Dinner in 2023

This was a nightmare. I knew it was a mistake, but I went anyway. Fool. What was I thinking. Jason seemed to settle in the apartment and made himself at home. Trying to roll with the punches was impossible when they kept coming. Rati had painted a vivid picture of what was happening, and I couldn’t take it anymore. Gabriel did not help matters. I made a scene and walked out. At some point I snapped and something broke. I gave Gabriel an ultimatum and Marina knew what the implications meant when I said it. I wish I had not said that in front of her. The rest of the little get together went better. There is a certain serenity you feel when you no longer worry about the future.

Jason added me on the Brinks alarm at the last minute. He also mentioned working together on jobs. I guess we crossed a bridge tonight?

End of Line

McKnight Estate

Daemon drove his pickup home from Marina’s in silence. He was thinking only of her. Hopefully, she wouldn’t be as hurt as he would be, had the roles been reversed. It was better this way. No more Gabriel, no more horror, no more seeing Jason and Marina growing closer, no more pain. No more anything. The one thing he’d miss if there is an afterlife was growing smaller in his rear view mirror.

Gabriel was absent. Surely watching to see if he was true to his word. Gabriel wanted this. Or so he said. Daemon couldn’t believe anything he said anymore. And now Daemon wanted this.

He had a few things to do first.

He arrived home and went straight to the desk and penned a letter. Addressed to Marina it revealed everything. Every secret he had, every thought, every feeling he had for her. Even the pain he felt, as a spectator watching her live her life. There will be no more secrets, no more questions, no more wondering. He explained all the Gabriel manipulations about lineage and rites and such and how he would have handled it all differently if he new the real truth. That he was always free to choose for himself. It was multiple pages when he was done. He sealed it all with an old fashioned wax seal. He would drop it in the mail on the way.

He entered the vault and picked up a few thermite devices and placed them nearby in a few strategic places and set them off, and walked outside, keeping one and placing it in his truck. He stood outside watching the flames start to take hold. He wanted to make sure it got everything, most of it was not for prying eyes. Not that the digital information couldn’t be recovered as it was all uploaded to his sponsors. He lived far enough out of the city and far enough off the beaten path that no one will notice right away.

Burn the boats…no turning back.

When he was satisfied, he got in his truck and put it in drive. After a quick stop at the post office where he put the letter in the box. Marina would get it sometime in the next few days.

I’m sorry, Marina.

He then drove the truck to a secluded alley in the city and set a thermite bomb off in it and walked away.

Gabriel appeared.

"I’m impressed. Your balls finally dropped."

Rooftop

Daemon ignored him and continued walking. He was within walking distance of the Lumen tower and picked the highest building he could find with a flat roof and he found one. It was an apartment building and he was able to easily make his way inside and to the roof. At least thirty floors. Plenty.

He slowed as he approached the edge and looked down. Should work. No more pain. He took a deep breath and looked out at the city he loved so much, mostly because it had Marina in it, but because he was able to help shape it over the years. He helped protect it and it’s people, and hold back the encroaching darkness. He thought back on his life, how things happened to bring him to this point, and any little detail could have altered it for better or worse. Worse, couldn’t be much worse. Everything came back to Marina. Everything else was secondary. What did Jason have that I didn’t have? Jason was very lucky to have her. Tears were now openly streaming down his face.

Luck. Was that all it was?

He noticed Gabriel standing next to him on the edge. He was quiet. Unusually quiet.

"Nothing to say?"

Fine then. Let’s do this.

Daemon stood so he was precariously on the edge.

I’m sorry Marina. I love you. Please forgive me.

He looked up, shut his eyes, and leaned forward. He pitched forward and wondered how long it would take to hit the bottom. He didn’t wonder long. Gravity seemed to shift and he was up and falling backwards. He landed on his back, still on the roof.

Gabriel stood over him.

“Alright, that’s enough of that nonsense.”

Daemon quickly got to his feet and sprinted to the edge, and attempted to dive off the building. His momentum shifted backwards and he skidded across the roof.

"Stop it." Gabriel hollered. He felt good, letting loose for once. A little rusty, but telekinesis is like riding a bike.

“Gabriel, what the fuck!”

He still wasn’t far from the edge, he tried to spider crawl to it but his arms and legs shot out and he went prone.

"Enough."

This time a stern statement. Daemon turned over on his back.

“Just let me go.”

Gabriel approached and knelt beside him.

“You know. You are the first one to call my bluff. I don’t know what that says about you, but even your father never questioned it. Maybe I got too caught up in the lies. There is no transfer rite, no end of line rite. All bullshit. I can choose wherever I go. I’m a ghost, remember? The branding was just binding me with you till you die.”

Daemon said nothing, eyes filled with tears.

“Maybe I should have handled you differently. I don’t know. Whenever one of my partners takes on a family or steadily sees a woman, it makes us vulnerable.”

He looked at Daemon with actual sadness in his ghostly eyes.

“I’ve been there. Where you are. Aching over a different life, a loved one, and it did no one any good. I tried to steer you away, but you’re so goddamn stubborn. Or stupid, I don’t know which.”

He stood up.

Daemon turned on his side, trying to nurse the shoulder he had landed awkwardly on.

“You’re such a liar. I want you gone.”

Gabriel sighed.

“Well it’s not going to.”

“Why?” Daemon asked. “All that talk about resting.”

Gabriel’s tone changed.

“Ugh. I don’t want to permanently die. I’ve been like this for over a thousand plus years. I started this whole thing back in the day. I want to keep on seeing how the world changes, how people change. The world is full of possibilities.”

Daemon’s tears began to dry up and he sat up.

“I don’t want this anymore. This nothing, is killing me.”

Gabriel sighed again.

“Yeah, well the world is full of pussies too.”

They stayed on the rooftop for more than an hour. Gabriel spoke of his family and how he misses them as well, but a little less each day. Someday he will forget about Marina and she will forget him and everyone will move on. That the best thing to do would be to start anew. It took a while for Daemon to come to his senses on the rooftop, but he eventually relented. For the moment, he let Gabriel take the wheel.

Daemon took some money out, enough to survive on for months hopefully. He purchased a few prepaid phones in case he needed them and made one call to David Wells, his pilot contact. They then plotted a flight over the Caribbean, where he would skydive and settle at whatever island he landed at.

Daemon sat in the plane and studied a picture he had of Marina on his phone during happier times. Times where it was just him and her. He shut the phone off permanently before they took off and left it in his bag.

Antigua

Daemon had been residing on the small island of Antigua for the last three months. He had built a small hovel away from everything, hoping that the solitude would be therapeutic. It wasn’t working. What should have been relaxing was instead pure hell. Aside from the days where he got stinking drunk, he was reminded about things he was trying to forget daily. From faces with striking similarities, to similar food from the bar, phrases, or just his mind wandering.

He wondered how Marina was doing. He had hoped by this point she had moved on. Much better than he did, anyway. Was she still happy with Jason? Did she look for him? Did she care? Did she think he was dead? Was life going to be like this forever? How do I let go? The only life I’ve ever known.

Gabriel rarely made appearances. Apparently disappointed with the current situation. He spent his entire unlife hunting shadows, and now he was just, stagnant.

The peace was killing him. Everything was too quiet. He realized he thrived in the places where men feared to tread.

On day 83, in a moment of weakness he turned on his phone. He needed to see a picture of her. Just to make sure he did the right thing.

He had missed calls. Hundreds of missed messages from contacts. Voice mails. An alert? He checked the messages, he had several, but three caught his eye. Marina.

What was he doing? Did he really want to open this pandoras box? He knew what was going to happen. He would hear her voice, and all his emotions would come flooding back. He could not shake this woman. He put the phone down.

He could feel his heartbeat in his chest. Harder. He knew he was going to listen. He picked the phone back up and played the first message from her. He instantly regretted it. She was crying throughout the playback. Begging for him to come back. Tears started to form. He hated to hear her this way. Knowing that he hurt her, that she was feeling any type of pain.

Since he already opened the box, he moved to the second message. It was different. She was yelling on the phone, and angry. Angry at him. Another emotion he couldn’t stomach. Behind her disappointment with him, she was still upset. The third message was more reserved, acceptance. She wished him well. Was she giving up on him? No. He gave up on her first.

I gave up on her first.

That sudden realization felt like a punch. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. If Gabriel hadn’t stopped him, this wouldn’t still hurt. He wouldn’t know that she was hurt.

But he would never see her again. Or have the power make this right.

He scrolled to the alert. Some type of breach at her apartment. Dated days ago. Did something happen? Was it a false alarm? What if she was hurt?

Why was he still on the notification list? Was it to tell him something? He was still needed? Or did she just forget to take his name off?

He turned the display off and leaned back.

I listened to Gabriel again and I gave up on her. This is not who I want to be. This is not who I am.

Will she take him back? Will she be happy to see him? Or since he gave up on her did she return the favor and would never want to see him again? He trembled at the thought.

So many what ifs. I don’t belong here, I belong at her side. With or without Jason. If I lived my entire life just in her presence, although less than what I want, I would be happier than I am here. I have to make it up to her. I need this.

"Gabriel."

He appeared nearby.

"We're going back."

Cleveland

The trip back took more than a day. Flights were not available at Antigua so he had to book passage via boat to Puerto Rico and catch a flight to the states, then a follow on flight to Cleveland. Along the way he made some phone calls. His sponsors were still dumping money in his accounts. He never heard of an extended vacation plan but apparently, he had one. Landing in Cleveland, he secured a rental SUV and drove it straight to Marina’s neighborhood.

He slowed the car to a stop, a block away from her building. His knuckles were white from gripping the wheel. The anticipation was killing him.

Don’t stop now. Keep moving.

He pulled up to the building and got out. Only a few flights of stairs left. He put one foot in front of the other and climbed the steps. By the time he reached the top he was shaking with trepidation. He stood in front of the door, tears in his eyes.

He knocked.

Atanase, from Daemons Perspective

Leaving Marina and Jason's Apartment

Daemon leaves Marina’s, he refuses to believe it’s Marina’s and Jason’s, so … Marina’s apartment. On the way to his rental, he dials his phone.

“Bishop Reynolds? I need some items... Rukh… On the way.” He hangs up and puts it away.

Damn. Why did I have to go and torch my house? Time to rebuild.

I left a lot of things unfinished, some with some very dangerous loose ends. Some that could fall back on my friends. Friends. Was Jason a friend at this point? We certainly have a lot in common. Some of the same fears. Same thought process when it comes to Marina. The brother I never wanted.

Atanase. Eternity. Fitting.

Now, Daemon’s mud splashed onto Marina. There is only one way this ends. First thing though is to get some items that would be useful. Then figure out how to track to its lair or lure it out. But where was its lair? Did it have more than one? How many minions did it have? He was ancient, so he likely had multiple of everything.

He reached the car and hit the remote to unlock the doors.

His brand went from cool to hot in an instant. He could feel it. He was here. Gabriel appeared, also looking. A strange mist appeared from behind and the black vampire materialized. Daemon was outmatched and it was likely the creature knew it. He turned to look, wary of its eyes. It seemed it wanted to talk first.

Its voice was calm, smooth.

“You are hard to track. Time means nothing to me, however, even I feel impatience from time to time.”

“Sorry to disappoint you.”

He said no more. Let’s see what his play is.

“Didn’t take long after I sized up your girlfriend. Come running to the rescue? Seems like you would have been too late if I wanted to hurt her.”

Come running? Absolutely. I shouldn’t have been so far away. I wish I wasn’t.

“She can take care of herself.”

“Clearly. You being gone all this time. Got her another man with her.”

I really hate this asshole.

Gabriel stood nearby, not uttering a word. Likely sizing everything up.

“Alright. You found me. Here I am. Kill me, you would be doing me a favor.”

“Kill you? Gabriel would just pick some other hopeless victim and ruin that life. What I want is to make his life miserable. He is branded to you. I control you, then I control him.”

“Well, I got news for you. I’ve never been able to control him.”

If I did, I would not have been so hard to track. I would never have left Cleveland, or Marina.

“I can,” the vampire continued. “This is what is going to happen. You are going to go willingly. If you do not, not only will I kill you, but your girlfriend will be next."

Daemon pursed his lips. Anger was building up within him. I am going to kill this thing. Gabriel shook his head slowly at Daemon. Not the time.

“If you do. I will leave her alone.”

There really wasn’t a choice. I fight, I lose, Marina dies.

I go, she lives and she’s happy with Jason. Didn’t I try to leave before?

She’ll be mad at me, she will hate me for doing it again, but she will be alive to hate me.

It’s better this way.

He nodded. Gabriel disappeared.

“Good it’s settled then. Franklin Castle, head there now.”

Franklin Castle

During the drive Gabriel materialized but didn’t say much other than asking if his phone was on. What did that matter?

Midway to the castle he wondered if Atanase was somehow following them. If he turned off, got some equipment, and went prepared, would it be better? Vampires can fly, so he might be following me. A risk I can’t take. My life isn’t the only one at stake.

The drive was quiet, both Daemon and Gabriel knew what it meant, as they approached the castle Gabriel spoke up again.

“He doesn’t have much time; the sun will be up soon. He will try and charm you almost immediately, it will hurt, and I will do what I can.”

What did that mean? He glared at him.

Daemon pulled into a drive and parked his truck. The vampire was waiting at the top of the drive, while two cronies, probably thralls of some sort approached Daemon as he exited the truck. They grabbed his arms and roughly escorted him up the drive and into the castle.

As he walked, partially dragged through the castle, he took note of the surroundings. There seemed to only be a handful of thralls. Was this a temporary lair? Or a new one and he didn’t have time to decorate? Makes things a little easier, maybe I can find a way out of this.

They stopped in a large chamber. There were four curtained windows on the east side of the room, with decorative metal wall sconces. The room had wooden furnishings in various states of disrepair. Atanase turned to face him, the goons still flanked him, and two flanked the ancient.

“I realize this is temporary. You will eventually die, and Gabriel will move on, but he is mine until then. I’ll hunt him down again and the process will start anew. This will hurt so don’t resist and it will be quicker.”

Daemon knew better than to look into its eyes, but he really didn't have much choice. Daemons head felt like it was going to explode. Two ancient beings fighting for control of one human. He couldn’t scream like he wanted to, or if he was screaming, he couldn’t hear it. He didn't think the enthrallment process took very long, was Gabriel behind the delay?

After what felt like hours, Daemon felt both thralls holding him let go, and the battle in his head ceased as the vampire let up to assess a new threat. Gabriel appeared, no longer in his head, he flexed his muscle and hurtled Daemon backwards away from Atanase. He landed awkwardly on his hip and shoulder some distance away, out of immediate danger.

“You should have stayed away,” he heard the ancient say to whomever just made a grand entrance. The room filled with a mist, although that could be in his head as everything was hazy. Daemon couldn’t be sure.

He barely heard a familiar voice over the sudden noise, “Are you okay?”. Marina. Which means Jason was also nearby. He tried to shake the cobwebs and nodded as she helped him up. Gabriel appears next to Daemon, "It'll need to rest soon, the sun is coming up. Use the windows!" He looked around, the windows were on the east side of the room and the sun was coming up. A feint color of light was displayed along the edge of some of the curtains.

Daemon brought his hand up in that direction, "Window!"

Marina shoved the shotgun she was holding in his hands and yelled something he couldn’t make out. She apparently understood what he was trying to say, and she made for the windows.

The mist dissipated quickly and the form of the ancient appeared between Daemon and Marina, moving in her direction. It knows where she’s heading.

Our success depends on those windows, I need to give her time. He pulled the trigger on the shotgun, hoping to at least distract it, however, to a vampire it is mere noise. Dismayed and desperate he throws the shotgun down and leaps at the creature. With an added boost from Gabriel, he hurtles onto it’s back. It is much stronger than he, but centuries have withered the body to frailty. The momentum spins Daemon around it, while hanging onto one of its arms, but it turns its attention to him as intended, allowing Marina to move unhindered.

He suddenly couldn't breathe. The creature grabs at Daemon’s neck with its free hand and squeezes and slams him onto the floor. Sunlight begins to pierce the darkness in the room and the ancient retreats to the shadows still playing in the room, dragging Daemon along by his neck. He could feel his airways constricting and he struggled to breathe, trying to pry the vampire’s fingers from his throat.

Still struggling to breathe, Daemon pulls the small cross from under his shirt with his free hand and presses it onto the hand around his neck. His faith is waning, but the symbol burns its shape into the back of its hand, releasing the grip. The ancient screams and retracts its hand into the shadows. He is pulled free by Marina back into the sunlight.

The dark corner where the vampire sought refuge suddenly becomes lit from sunlight. Seemingly nowhere to run, it panics as the light plays across its body, setting bits of it afire. It turns to make for one of the far doors that still holds darkness a distance away. It hesitates and makes its way to the furthest door.

Daemon looks up and a realization hits him. This would be the second time he looked up from the ground to see Marina. He glances over and the vampire is clearly weakened to the point of stumbling to maintain its footing. It’ll make it if it doesn’t slow down. He looks at Marina with a renewed determination and he scrambles to his feet, despite feeling weak himself. As he runs he sees Jason off to the side, thrall bodies around him.

He hit the beast like a linebacker, trying to make up in momentum what he lacked in power. It wasn't enough as the creature was much stronger, but it slowed him down to a crawl. The longer it was in the sunlight the slower it moved, and it sapped its strength. The creature was fragile like an old man, so he was able to wrap his arms around its body from behind and over its arms. The bear hug prevented the ancient from using its arms effectively and it fell forward on its face, Daemon on top. He gritted his teeth as he endured small burns over his body, and the longer he could hold it the greater time the sunlight had to work. The pain was almost unbearable.

It finally stopped moving. He got up and put out small fires on clothes. He was burned in multiple places, his head made the world spin, his leg, back and shoulder were angry from getting tossed by Gabriel, his neck felt swollen, he struggled to breathe, and he was bleeding profusely from a large laceration across his chest. When did that happen? Adrenaline is a funny thing. It was bleeding heavily and he felt weaker by the moment.

Not done yet.

Older vampires sometimes were able to recover from sunlight, some it didn't bother. He looked around the room and didn't see anything he could use until his eyes settled on the standing wall sconces. While not lit, there was a metal edge to it.

It'll have to do.

He quickly made his way to one, picked it up and made his way back to the smoldering corpse. He held it like a spear and fell to his knees over the burning creature and drove the metal edge into the back of its neck. Repeatedly. The savagery was overshadowed by the blood spray from the now gaping wound.

After the head separated from its body, Daemon grabbed it by what hair it had left and tossed it across the room. Daemons world faded to black as the weakness overcame him, and he collapsed.

Jason and Marina transported him to a local hospital where he underwent surgery and stayed a number of days. He checked himself out against advice 3 days after surgery, and began rebuilding.

Reckoning/Loose Ends         

Daemon's Tour Bus/Temporary Home

Daemon and Gabriel sat inside the tour bus going through digital records of all his cases. The bus had come stocked with enough living necessities until his estate was rebuilt. It also had a computer setup with access to everything he needed. There was a trailer attached that held additional equipment for his endeavors.

“Since day one you think?”

“Only way to be sure.”

“Ok, anything that could come back to her. Anything that could have associated me to her, anything that could harm her.”

Anything that could get mud on her.

Run down crypt - Lakeview Cemetery

#1 on the list - Day 1

Daemon readied the flashbangs outside the door. It was slightly ajar, and he tossed them in one at a time, one to the left and one right. After a moment he entered, timing his entrance to be immediately after they went off. The two Renfield/thralls were blind and stunned and he made short work of them. Depending on the job at hand, he would sometimes carry the custom long knives he had now, one in each hand. They had no hilt or pommel, and the handle was made of wood. This was intentionally done to give the feel of the escrima sticks he regularly practiced with.

Both thralls dropped and Daemon sheathed his weapons in the scabbard he had on his back. He moved to the coffin and began to push the lid off. With a little telekinetic help from Gabriel, it crashed to the floor. The vampire was still “asleep” as it was still midmorning but was stirring now as the lid fell out of the way.

“Rise and shine!” he said as he drove the stake he drew from his belt down into its heart, paralyzing it. It screamed and made jerky movements as it struggled, Daemon unsheathed one of the knives and proceeded to decapitate it.

Kyros was Atanase’s childe. He would certainly come looking for those that ended its master’s existence. Thus ended the Atanase line of vampires.

Daemon stood outside the graveyard on a hill that overlooked part of the city and took it all in. The hustle and bustle was in full swing as it neared noon. Gabriel stood nearby.

“Feels good, doesn’t it?”

Gabriel nodded. “Like we never left.”

Random Lonely Road - Outskirts of Cleveland

#6 on the list - Day 3

Yep, that’s him. They had followed the Altima for about 10 minutes, trying to get a look at the driver without alerting him. They confirmed it was him but now they were on the outskirts of Cleveland, on a more secluded road. Perfect.

Daemon pulled up alongside him and drove the truck into the driver’s side. It crumpled the door, damaged the b pillar, shattered the windows, and shoved the car into a counterclockwise spin. It came to rest facing him. Daemon got out and walked over to the passenger side. The driver was trapped in the seat, his lower half beneath the interior of the driver’s door. He appeared dazed, but vocal. Déjà vu.

Daemon casually walked over to the passenger side, extended an asp baton and proceeded to break the window. When he was satisfied, he struck the pavement with the baton to loosen it, and he put it away.

“What the fuck, dude!?”

Daemon smiled, “Remember me? I missed you.”

“No motherfucker. Why should I remember you? What do you want?”

Daemon feigned being hurt, “Come on.”

“You know where she lives.”

The man stared at him, recognition finally transforming his face into a look of panic.

“Man, I didn’t touch her. I never went back! I’m not going to go back! I’m not even with that group anymore!”

Daemon took a deep breath.

“I can’t take that chance.”

He lit the sparkler attached to his homemade thermate and tossed it on the floorboard in the passenger side. As he walked back to his truck, he could hear the panicked screams coming from the car. By the time he had pushed the car with his truck into a ditch, the vehicle was fully engulfed.

He made a U-turn and went back to Cleveland.

Motel 6, Cleveland

#7 on the list - Day 3

As the man he recognized as Passenger opened the door to his motel room, Daemon followed him in, shoving him inside. The man pitched forward on the nearby bed making a surprised grunt. He turned over and recognized Daemon, who had shut and locked the door.

“I believe I told you I never wanted to see your face again.”

Panic in his voice, he stammered, “I didn’t. You came here!”

Daemon shook his head with derision.

“I couldn’t do anything to you at the time, but you came in with Shaw at Brams. More importantly, you went after someone dear to me.”

“That wasn’t my choice! He made me! I swear!”

The man continued to plead, “but you let me go!”

Daemon said nothing, instead he lunged at the man, now sitting up, grabbing him by the neck. It was awkward wearing gloves, but he was able to flatten him on the bed, and placed his knee on his chest, holding him in place. He reached into his pocket and pulled out an elastic strap, tying it around the man’s arm. Passenger struggled, but Daemon was much stronger and held him with minimal effort. He injected him with a lethal dose of heroin and removed the strap, throwing the items on the bed. Passenger leaned back, the high overtaking him.

Daemon let himself out of the room, locking the door behind him.

The Hough

#15 on the list - Day 5

“Eric! My boy!” Daemon feigned excitement as Eric open the door. He did not appear to share Daemon’s enthusiasm.

“What do you want? I haven’t hurt anyone.” Eric was a scrawny male in his early 30's.

“Maybe not. Can I come in? Daemon asked politely.

“Why are you here?“

“I saw you that day. Outside of Brams. Thought we had this talk before about this. You still practicing?”

Eric had been attempting his hand at Wicca, following people around. Daemon had repeatedly checked up on him in the past as he kept coming up on his radar.

“Please go away.”

Gabriel appeared from inside the home.

“You need to see inside.”

Daemon shoved Eric back and stepped inside. The place was dark, despite being midday. Blackout curtains over everything, the lights off. Daemon flicked on one of the lights and began looking around.

“You can’t. You can’t come in here!”

“Are you still practicing?”

“Practicing Wicca is not a crime.”

Daemon stopped when he came to a spare bedroom. Eric held his head down. The room was full of pictures. Taped everywhere on the walls, on several shelves. A small makeshift altar was in the center of one of the walls.

Daemon grabbed Eric and shoved him into the room. He fell with a thud, and stayed there, while Daemon looked around. Pictures, people he didn’t know. It would seem Eric stalked these people too. Years back he had a come-to-Jesus meeting about following people around, snapping pictures, stealing personal items from them, in order to cast spells. He decided to do something about it when he caught him taking pics of him.

Daemon stopped when he saw one of him outside Bram's. He was standing outside the doors hugging Marina. He looked at Eric, who kept his eyes downward. He pulled the pic down and looked at it, reminiscing. Below the pic, on the wall, were more. Marina. Marina walking, getting in her car, her apartment. A small shelf was attached to the wall below that set of pictures. On it was another pic of her walking from behind, about ten feet. Beside this pic was a small baggie with a single strand of hair inside. Hers? If it was, he could have gotten it anywhere. Bathroom, when she shook her hair, from a hat. No telling. It might not even be hers.

He looked at Eric.

“I didn’t do anything. I was tired of you and wanted to get back at you, but that was years ago. I didn’t do anything, I swear. I dropped it because you quit bothering me.”

“Eric. Today... is not your lucky day.”

Daemon had collected anything pertaining to Marina, including the hair, just in case and burned it. He also took any that might be related to him. He smashed any cameras he found, including Eric’s phone. He won’t need it. Eric suddenly developed a lethal heroin habit.

New Entry - Day 7

Edward Harris entered his residence and threw his keys in a bowl near the door. He took his jacket off, tossing it on the back of the couch and flipped a light on. Daemon was sitting in a chair, watching him.

“You’ve been looking for me.”

It wasn’t a question, more of an accusatory statement, laced with dangerous undertones. Daemon has not been in a playing mood lately. He had things to do, and this was a bother.

Harris paused, clearly caught off guard.

He moved to sit on the couch opposite Daemon, who said nothing.

The two men stared at each other, finally Harris spoke.

“You disappeared. I thought you left. For good.”

“Clearly a rumor.” Daemon replied. Keeping tabs on me? Not smart as of late.

Harris leaned back, trying to show he was relaxed.

“Clearly. You’ve been busy this last week.”

Daemon was already exhausted from this conversation. Just say what you want!

Harris sighed.

“How long is this list you have?”

Daemon shrugged, “It just got one longer.”

“Okay, I see I need to just say it. Is Elia on it?”, he seemed to ignore Daemon’s comment.

Daemon said nothing. So, Elia paid this monster to pay him a visit. Elia. She wasn’t on the list, but she is now. Elia ran a brothel that was a front for human trafficking. Daemon had previously visited her looking for a missing girl, and since then he had used her when he needed information. Daemon also suspected she was practicing magic.

After a moment, Daemon spoke up.

“Is there a reason she wants me to stay away?”

Harris smiled, “She only wanted me to pay you the visit. I’m not privy to her schemes.”

Of course not. Harris was muscle, never the brains.

He knew there was only one way out of this. He was at least that smart.

One moment Harris was sitting on the couch, the next he was in a rage. Harris was a lycanthrope. He did not have a wolf form, instead taking on a human berserker persona. He raged and jumped toward Daemon, who did not move. Gabriel was quicker. Daemon mentally said ‘shield’, and it manifested, stopping the lycanthrope’s charge, and Harris stood there perplexed.

Daemon and Gabriel had worked together long enough to sync Gabriel's abilities with a mental thought. In using this, timing was everything.

The next instant Harris was sent into the nearest wall. He sprawled onto the floor and Daemon stood, casually walking to the stunned man, who seemed to struggle to get up. Harris was up and wrapped him up quicker than he expected, lifting Daemon in a bear hug and running across the apartment toward one of the opposite walls. ‘Shield’, and the blow was softened some, but still crushing. The invisible shield manifestation contacted the wall, and it crumbled, and Daemon’s momentum sent him through the newly formed hole. He had grabbed Harris by the arm to catch himself, and both tumbled two stories to the concrete below.

Daemon landed hard, despite Gabriel attempting to cushion the blow. His vision blurred and blood obscured it further. His left leg and hip throbbed, along with that same troublesome shoulder from Atanase’s lair. He tried to scramble to his feet, but his limbs didn’t seem to want to cooperate. He saw no sign of the Lycanthrope.

After a few moments of trying to regain his bearings, he hobbled off to his truck.

Daemon stumbled back to his estate and entered his tour bus/temporary residence and collapsed on the floor. Gabriel notified Marina, who arrived to doctor him up. They had a long talk about his recklessness and slowing down, but he needed to keep busy to get over her and he planned on continuing.

Days later, Marina invited him to Bram's to meet Johan, but it was not destined to be just a nice sit down meet and greet. Daemon was not entirely ready for everything so soon and decided to have too many drinks. He made a fool of himself but realized a few things. He can't hold his liquor like he thought so he decided to never drink again, he may have more in common with Johan than he thought which needs to be explored, and that he may have to distance himself a little more from Marina until he can get his head on straight. All the more reason to dive into his work.

Hunted                  

Elia's Brothel

Day One

Daemon stood in the mouth of an alley about a block from Elia’s place. It was an old warehouse converted into a maze of rooms housing approximately a dozen women. She would claim she was helping them by giving them a place to stay in exchange for services. The reality is she kept them so doped up they couldn’t leave if they wanted to. Daemon spoke to Elia on a number of occasions as she cultivated a network of street informants, which he took advantage of when necessary. Not anymore. Tonight her operation ends.

Two clicks on the radio. That signal meant the front was clear and he moved to approach.

D on the move, his earpiece crackled. Daniel “Skinz” Baker was overwatch and tracked Daemon to the front door with his rifle. He was one of four, including Daemon, that made up the team attempting to free the women inside. The other two were Jaxon “Jax” Stone, and Andrew Zayne, or just simply “Zayne”. All four usually work independently of one another, and occasionally, like now, together. As Daemon approached the front door, he could see it was unguarded. There usually was some type of security at the door, but it was unnaturally quiet.

He pushed the door open and stepped inside when he saw the hallway was clear.

Jax, collapse on D, he’s in.

Moments after entering, Daemon could hear Jax enter behind him, and Gabriel appeared.

Elia is gone. Harris is in her room; he appears to be waiting.

Daemon nodded and made his way down the hall, passing several rooms. Some were “waiting” or “show” rooms, where clients will wait and pick the flavor for the night. Others were bedrooms. He continued to a left fork, and took it, coming up on Elia’s office. He entered and Jax followed. First order was securing the building, then they will look to the women.

Harris sat at her desk with his feet up.

It’s about time. I’ve been here for three days,” he said casually.

Daemon didn’t move. The last time he encountered Edward Harris they both went through an exterior wall and landed outside on the street. He extended his arm and made a fist, an indication for Jax to hold.

Harris saw Daemon’s hesitancy, “Relax. I don’t want to fight you. I want to help.

Puzzled, he glanced sideways at the Lycanthrope.

Harris exhaled in a sort of chuckle, “Elia left me. She ran to who knows where. I gave her ten years of my life, and this is what she does to me. Leaves and abandons me.

My heart bleeds for ya.”

I don’t expect any sympathy, but I am sincere when I say I want to help. Betrayal will do that to you,” Harris says, his tone cool.

You’ll have to give me more if you want me to believe you.

Harris nodded, “Elia is red infected. She believed you were coming after her, so fearing any confrontation might force her change to full red, she sent me. Then when I came back without your head, she got in touch with someone out of Chicago.

So, she was a half-vampire, Daemon mused. “How long has she been infected?

Probably a few years,” he saw the confusion on Daemon’s face. “Don’t beat yourself up, she hid it well. She had help from St. Giles.

Makes sense. If Daemon showed up and she believed she was in danger, she might use every power she had and risk losing control, despite the St. Giles tattoos.

She was never a target,” Daemon said. Though, I should have forced her out of business long ago and not valued her little network so much.

Harris paused, thinking Daemon was about to say more.

Whoever she called is sending someone to deal with you. So, watch your back,” he swiveled in the chair and stood up.

Oh, and she left all the girls too. I guess she expected me to take care of it all, I don’t know. She won’t answer my calls.

Daemon didn’t move.

Harris laughed, “Take ‘em. I don’t care. I am not staying. Elia can go to hell.

Daemon turned and nodded to Jax, who turned and left the room, “Z, back door. We’re good. D’s got Harris, Elia is not here, moving to secure.

The rest of the team would handle the rescue.

He turned back to Harris, “So, why? Who is pulling her strings?

Harris shrugged, “I don’t know. She’s got juice with someone. She kept me in the dark about any Chicago connection.

Come on, ten years? You expect me to believe that?

Believe what you want. I am beginning to realize I was not as important to her as she was to me, “he said as he started to walk to the door.

As he passed Daemon, he turns to mention, “If, and when, you find her, call me. I’ll be there.

In all, eleven women, and one male, were rescued that night. The other members of the team had been working various missing person cases involving several of the victims. Skins suggested a celebration, and Daemon reluctantly agreed to go.

Pulse Night Club

Day One

The Pulse Nightclub was in full swing, with wall-to-wall people laughing, drinking, dancing and generally enjoying the atmosphere. There was a band in the corner playing cover songs, some you could dance to, some you couldn’t, but all contributing to the energy in the club.

🎵So what if I’ve never loved? And what if I stayed the same?🎵

Skinz offered Daemon a drink, having brought two beers over to the tall bar table he currently occupied. He declined.

I quit drinking for good.

The look of dismay on Skinz’ face said it all.

Then drink for evil,” he said with a grin. “It’s time to celebrate. Today was a win, so loosen up a little.

🎵But what am I worth if I can’t make the change?🎵

Daemon had made a commitment to Marina that he wasn’t going to drink again. He didn’t like what it made him do, or how it made him feel. He shook his head.

I’m good.

🎵And where’s my resolution? And where’s my better days?🎵

Jax came over with a pitcher and a handful of glasses and placed all on the table.

Drink up all,” he said as he began pouring drinks.

Daemon here quit.” Skinz spoke up. It was more poking fun at him then a statement.

Nah, he didn’t.

Zayne approached the table, snatching two of the glasses, and then returned to a nearby table with two other women.

🎵All my life I’ve given up everything. So What about me? What about me?🎵

He spotted the woman on the other side of the dance floor. Truthfully, she had been watching him for a while, but he only just noticed. She was strikingly beautiful, at least from this distance, and when she moved toward him, she only became more stunning the closer she got. She was easily the best-looking woman in the club, or so Daemon thought. He was intrigued.

🎵A day of love…. a night of sin….🎵

She moved closer, dancing along with the music, and Daemon couldn’t look away. She beckoned him to come to her as she crossed the dance floor.

Daemon only shook his head. His brand grew warm as a warning.

🎵A broken heart…. a lie within….🎵

He watched her dance and felt guilty. Why? He shouldn’t feel that way. There’s no one else in his life to feel guilty for.

He could feel his heartbeat faster, and his palms felt clammy.

🎵A million ways that I tried and messed it all up every time.🎵

Would it be so bad?

She danced closer to Daemon and approached to within only a few feet.

And then closer. His brand was on fire, but he did not care.

🎵I’m living on the wrong side again.🎵

Tempting. He shook his head again.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, resting her forearms on his shoulders as she continued to dance just inches from him.

Damn.

🎵Carelessly, I sink or swim, but I never seem to win.🎵

Fuck it,” he stated out loud and grabbed the beer Skinz brought him, taking a long drink.

Jax tapped Skinz on the shoulder, gesturing to Daemon.

They both laughed.

Daemon allowed himself to be pulled to the dance floor.

🎵So what if I’ve never loved? And what if I stayed the same?🎵

He matched her movements the best he could, as he was no dancer. He was still holding the beer he picked up and despite it all managed to not spill a drop.

🎵But what am I worth if I can’t make the change?🎵

He finished the drink and placed the now empty glass on a nearby table as they passed.

Now both hands were free to embrace her.

🎵And where’s my resolution? And where’s my better days?🎵

For an extended moment in time Daemon completely forgot about Marina. About the still unfinished list. About Gabriel. About everything but this woman. She had his undivided attention.

What is happening?

🎵All my life I’ve given up everything. So What about me? What about me?🎵

After several more songs, they made their way to an empty table, where Daemon ordered more drinks. He told himself he could handle the alcohol. There was no one here that would supervise him, only those who would encourage him.

He learned her name was Aura Garrow and she was originally from Chicago, and that was all that he will remember. The rest of the night became a blur, and memories of the night became bits and pieces.

Random Motel 6

Day Two

Daemon’s head hurt and he opened his eyes slowly. There was light spilling into the motel room from the window and it played on the bed where he lay. He became aware that his brand was burning a hole in his chest, and he stirred, realizing he was holding the woman from last night.

He slowly pulled his arm from underneath her, causing her to stir as well, and Daemon sat up.

She turned to face him, and he found himself enthralled once again. What does she do to me? This doesn’t feel the same with Marina.

Hey. You leaving?” she asked.

He didn’t immediately answer and only stared, slowly recognizing through his haze what the burning in his chest meant.

What are you?” he finally asked, answering her question with another.

She sat up, sharply.

I’m a shapeshifter, though I thought you figured that out last night.

Did he? He couldn’t remember. Did they talk about it? How much did I say?

I don’t remember. Sorry,” I need to seriously stop drinking that much.

She regarded him with curiosity, or at least that’s what Daemon thought.

She smiled, “I bet. You really put ‘em away.

Fantastic. Promise broken, but at this point, do I care anymore?

You were the life of the party, and I don’t think I have ever had a better night,” she said.

I still feel weirdly guilty, this isn’t what I want to hear right now. Subject change.

So, it’s not a coincidence you approached me, is it.” Not a question, just a statement of fact. Werewolf?

She took a deep breath and explained.

My pack and I are tracking a killer named Azareth. He left Chicago and we followed him here. It seems he has taken a special interest in you, though I don’t know why. I was to get close to you to figure that out. This might be the first opportunity we’ve had to stop him, or at least keep him from going back to Chicago.

He took it in. Werewolf then. He didn’t remember any conversation like this.

So, this was only business?

Call it a bonus,” she said with a smirk.

Daemon didn’t share her assessment of the night.

By keeping him from going back, you mean you don’t mind tearing up Cleveland so you don’t tear up Chicago. Why is this an opportunity?” She shook her head at that.

Because he is alone. I don’t know if it’s carelessness or arrogance, or overconfidence, but he is alone. He is never alone in Chicago. He must not think you are a threat.

Daemon nodded. Okay, so Azareth is a what?

This Azareth, what is he, and why are you tracking him?

Well, he’s … abnormal. Not like us. He’s human, part…demon, other than that, we don’t know much about what he is, just how he is. Pure evil,” she hesitates a moment, then continues.

Half-Demon. Apex Human. Fuck, if that’s true and he’s after me, everything is second to this. Azareth is the priority.

He killed Prince, our Alpha. Tore through him like nothing, and Prince was no slouch. We have been watching him for a while, looking for an opening, and then suddenly he comes here.

Something doesn’t sound right.

Wait a minute, how did you know he was coming after me?

She smiled. “As I said, we have been watching him for a while. He was also watching you.

For…how long?

Days.

So, he’s been stalking me, and I had no idea. They were stalking him as he was stalking me.

I know what you do. Together, I’m hoping we can stop him,” she says, looking hopeful.

Doesn’t sound like I have much choice. He’s coming after me anyway, and allies would be great. I’ll be damned if I call Jason or Marina.

She took his hesitation as assent, “Great, you can’t meet the pack right now. Dante insisted we not all be in one place at the same time. Consider them your personal bodyguards,” she smiled more broadly now, hoping he didn’t push it.

But it’s Daemon. He pushed it.

So, I’m bait, is what you’re saying.

She nodded, still smiling.

Further information from Aura revealed her packmates were Dante, Ares, Lana, and Caleb, with Dante as the self-proclaimed Alpha after Prince was killed. Daemon also told her what he knew of why someone from Chicago would take an interest in him. According to Aura, the plan was for him to prepare, go about his normal business, and wait for Azareth to reveal himself. The pack will shadow him and stay out of sight. It was a stupid plan, elegant in its simplicity, but dumb as far as Daemon was concerned.

Waiting for something to ambush him was not ideal, though he hadn’t any other option as of yet. Baker, Stone, and Zayne were there with me, they needed to be warned.

North Olmsted Safehouse

Day Three

Daemon entered the storefront and walked to the back of the building. Jax was waiting for him and followed him into one of the back rooms, shutting the door behind them. Skinz was sorting through items that were laid upon one of the tables. Zayne was sitting at a table cleaning what appeared to be a shotgun. He nodded when Daemon entered.

Daemon originally sent the text to warn them, now here they are gearing up. Such is the brotherhood.

Daemon continued, “It wants me, but it’s going to go after you two as well if you stay. There’s no reason to die with me.

Skinz stepped up to Daemon until he was a foot away, “I wouldn’t have it any other way.” He grasped Daemon by the shoulders, “We stand together, and we fall together if that’s what fate has in store for us. Fratres in Aeternum.

At that comment Zayne stood up and walked over to Daemon, “No doubt, you pulled my ass out of the fire before. I’ll be damned if I wasn’t here for you.

Marina would never approve of this group. Future martyrs. All of them.

But this is what he needed. Diehard hunters.

Jax spoke up as well, “Just think, if we pull this off, we will have beaten a half-demon. We will be legends. They’ll write songs about us. Not Skinz' horrible noise he calls songs.

Skinz ignored the jab and added, “Besides, do you really think it will just let us leave? That it won’t hunt us down after you? We were all there. Don’t be naïve.

We would still have to avenge you, so, it doesn’t matter. We'd be involved either way.” Jax said, smiling broadly. Zayne nodded and returned to his table.

Daemon said nothing and only nodded, “Okay then, what have we got?

There were a few vials of holy water, some melee weapons, boxes of blessed ammo, and extra crosses in case Daemon lost his. He hadn’t. He still had the same one he used on the ancient vampire, months ago. He had much more to choose from when he had his vault, but beggars can’t be choosers.

Daemon carried a 9mm G26 subcompact and proceeded to change the ammunition out to the blessed version. It might not kill it, but it’ll get its attention. He pocketed one of the vials as well, placing it in an interior jacket pocket. He carried his sticks in a strap along his belt line. He was wearing a longer cut leather jacket that hung below his waist, so everything should be concealed.

After a few minutes, there was a knock on the door and Jax moved to the wall next to the door. No one else moved.

Daemon? I can smell you, let me in.

It was Aura. Jax let her in and shut the door behind her.

She was wearing shorts, a T-shirt, tennis shoes, and not much else. I guess it is easier if she has to shift, but it was very distracting, he thought.

He must have been staring and it must have been obvious. Skinz snapped his fingers near Daemons face, “Snap out of it.

Aura smiled, “What’s the plan?

They proceeded to draw it out. Daemon would sit near one of the fountains at the Mall park tonight, in the center of the city, while the others would find a place to wait.

Simple.

Still stupid.

Mall Park

Day Three

Daemon sat near one of the fountains. It was dark and there was no hustle and bustle this time of the night. The park was in the center of the city and there were office buildings all around. Skinz was on a rooftop somewhere, high powered rifle covering the majority of the park. Jax was close cover, somewhere in the park in case things went awry, as was Aura and Z. The rest of the pack were scattered everywhere, rooftops, alleyways, wherever. They all had general sight of each other. They had been out here for several hours after dark.

It was late, and it is possible he won’t strike tonight. They’ll give it a bit more then call it a night.

Gabriel appeared next to Daemon, “What are you doing?

I’m thinking of killing a half-demon, what do you think I’m doing,” he replied.

You know what I mean. I saw how you look at her, same way you look at Marina. Haven’t you learned a thing?

Fuck off Gabriel. This again? Who says she is going to stick around, anyway,” he said, irritation on his face.

Neither said anything, then Daemon spoke again, this time about Marina.

I needed a distraction. It’s hard to pretend to be just friends with someone you desire, then when you’re face to face, a lost future is all I think of.

Gabriel sat silently. He had said his position more than enough times. He had no reason to repeat it. Daemon would have to get it on his own.

Just make sure she’s only a distraction.

Daemon ignored him and continued, Gabriel did bring this up.

I mean, so what’s worse? Keeping your feelings for someone secret and dealing with the hurt quietly, or revealing them, jeopardizing friendships and suffering ridicule for explaining how you feel? Damned if you do, Damned if you don’t. Hindsight, I should never have said anything. It was not worth it all,” he said flatly. “Some things should remain secret.” He has had time to come to terms with it and can speak of it now without getting choked up.

Now, it’s just anger. Anger at Gabriel. Anger at himself. Even Marina for some of the things she said. They didn’t reconcile in his head at the time, but now with time to think, he thought they were overly harsh given he was at a low point and hurting. He wasn't exactly a saint, but it felt like the blows kept coming.

So if you’re asking if I learned anything, I did. Never. Tell. Anyone. Anything. Ever.

But he wasn’t done with his rant.

She wants me to temper my pace. To slow down. I understand she cares, but she lost the right to tell me how to live my life when she told me she would never love me like that. No one controls me,” he turned his head to look at Gabriel, “no one.

Gabriel sat expressionless, and after a few beats, he spoke again, “Rejection is not a dead end. It is redirection. Don’t make the same mistakes you did with Marina. Stay solo.

Daemon shook his head, “Nah. Rejection in this case is a dead end. I said it before, you get no say in what I do in my personal life. In the field, we work together, but my time is mine alone. If I want to get trashed and sleep around, then deal with it. If I want to jump off a building without a chute, then look away and have a nice…unlife.

The radio in his ear crackled with Skinz’ voice, “Let’s call it. I say we hunker down and try again tomorrow.

Damn straight,” Daemon swore as he stood up sharply and walked off. He was done with this conversation.

Agreed,” Jax this time.

Yep,” Zayne added.

He planned to spend the night in the safehouse with the hunters. It was dangerous to split up.

North Olmsted Safehouse

Day Four

The night was uneventful.

Jax, Skinz, Zayne, and Daemon spent the night, while the pack kept a lookout. Aura mentioned that Dante wanted to speak with Daemon in the morning and to expect a knock on the door.

When Daemon awoke, the other two hunters were discussing alternate plans. They hadn’t settled on anything, other than possibly suckering Azareth into a kill zone, however, they hadn’t figured out how to sucker him in, nor what they would do once he was suckered in.

Morning,” Daemon offered as he got up from the cot and stretched.

Jax greeted him back, “Hey, we riddle him full of holes with these blessed rounds, that going to be enough, you think?

Daemon shrugged, “I’ve never encountered one of these before. Your guess is as good as mine.

Jax turned back around and Daemon walked over to a counter that held a stack of MRE’s. He chose one, opened it up and began preparing the spaghetti within its container. He left the pouch on the counter as the chemical reaction “cooked” it, and turned to answer the door when he heard the knock. He hesitated, waiting for a familiar voice on the other side, hand on his sidearm.

I still smell you Daemon,” Aura stated.

He opened the door to find both Aura and another male he assumed was Dante, standing on the other side. He towered above Daemon, at least six and a half feet.

Daemon, this is Dante. Dante, Daemon. Have fun.” Aura turned to walk away as the big man moved to enter the room.

Daemon watched Aura walk out of view, then shut the door. Dante regarded him with concern reserved for a father watching his only daughter walk to her first date.

She likes you; you know.” Dante says.

Daemon looks to the Alpha, saying nothing.

Dante sits in a nearby chair and exhales, “Her first duty is to her pack, you understand that, right?

Daemon nodded, “Of course. I only just met her, this...seems premature to me, so what’s this really about?

Dante leaned forward. Even sitting down, he seemed imposing.

Because we know what you do, and our kind don’t mix. I need to understand you. I need to understand we won’t have to watch our backs after this.

Daemon looked for a place near him to sit down as well and chose his nearby cot.

So, understand, I don’t hunt for sport. I hunt those that harm innocents, those that prey on society, both mortal and supernatural. And…I remember my friends.

He was quiet for a few moments, thinking. Dante leaned back, smiling, “Okay, enough said, let’s say I believe you. Aura trusts you and now that I’ve spoken to you, that should be good enough for me. I had to be sure, those like you in Chicago have a different slant on my kind.

"This isn't Chicago." Daemon stated.

Dante nodded his head toward the others, “They of like mind?

They are. They aren’t fair weather friends; you won’t have to worry about them either.

Dante stood up, “Good. I’m needed outside,” he extends his hand toward Daemon.

Daemon stands and accepts his hand; however, Dante moves to grasp his around Daemon’s forearm, forcing Daemon to reciprocate.

One warrior to another. Glad to have met you,” the Alpha says.

Here, we say Fratres in Aeternum. Brothers forever.” Daemon said as he still held his forearm.

Dante nods, lets go and leaves the room.

Daemon walks over to his MRE. Damn. It’s cold.

The rest of the day they spent in the safe house. The intention was to minimize any possibility of casualties that would inevitably occur in daylight if a fight started. Plus, they didn’t want to draw attention. The day passed and it was close to sundown. Time to move.

They returned to the same location, with the same idea that Daemon was bait. This night was just as uneventful as the night before. And it seemed to drag on.

Around 1 AM, the radio sparked to life, “I got nothing, anyone?

Jax responded, “Negative, call it.

Daemon stood up and walked out of the park, looking around as he walked. It’s out here, somewhere, watching, and it knows something is up.

We have to change the plan.

North Olmsted Safehouse

Day Five

Daemon awoke with a start, practically stumbling out of his cot. A piercing howling could be heard from somewhere in the city. He threw on his jacket and made sure everything was where it was supposed to be. The other hunters were awakened at the same time and they were stumbling out of their beds as well.

Daemon waited at the door for the others, Jax came up behind him, squeezed his shoulder to let him know he was ready, and Daemon opened the door, pistol at the ready. The howling continued and seemed louder now. They made their way to the front door and outside, scanning the immediate area. Nothing.

Daemon could see some sort of activity on the roof of one of the nearby buildings, and the fire escape ladder had been released, allowing access. He approached it and ascended the three floors to the top.

When he reached the top, he found Caleb, Dante, Aura and Ares standing over the body of the fifth pack mate, Lana. She was naked but covered in blood. Dante was the source of the anguished howl, and now he knelt, cradling her in his arms. Aura approached Daemon.

We heard sounds of fighting and when we got here, she was already dead,” she choked up, and then continued.

She was butchered. A blade of some sort,” she said as she buried her face in his chest, sobbing.

Well, its safe to say he knows about the pack. Probably knew all along.

Come on, get everyone into the safe house, now,” and as much as he didn’t want to, he extricated himself from her embrace, and moved to check on the others.

As he approached, Dante had the look of a madman at the end of his rope, hate filling his eyes.

Get everyone inside, now. We need to come up with something else, not waiting for it to pick us off one by one.

Caleb and Ares nodded and moved to assist with both Lana and Dante. After a few moments Dante stood and all made their way to the safe house.

Caleb carefully placed Lana on a table in the storefront and covered her with a tablecloth. They all looked to Daemon.

Okay, great. Gabriel appeared but said nothing.

The only thing he could think of was risky, mostly for Daemon, a variation of the bait plan.

A rabbit,” he said but got nothing but blank stares from the pack. “He wants to pick us off one by one, right? I draw him out, you’ll have to give me time, don’t run right out after me or he might not show. Let me draw him out and then track me,” he said it all without thinking of the danger it brought him. Azareth wants me, it’ll focus on me, then the others will have a chance. I’ll be alone with it for a time, so I need to bring my A game.

This was just as stupid as the other idea.

Gabriel smiled and disappeared. Aura regarded him with concern, but didn’t say anything.

The others in the room nodded, and the other hunters went to the back room to prepare. After some time, they returned, “We’re ready. Good luck.

Luck. If I even had a little bit of that.

No time like the present. He walked to the door and opened it and looked around. It was about three in the morning, and the howls apparently went unnoticed.

Daemon darted out the door and made a hefty pace, running as fast as he could through the North Olmsted neighborhood. He headed toward the Rocky River Reservation, a park with a myriad of hiking trails. Remote.

He entered the trails and slowed a little. He was far enough away but didn’t stop, and he made his way to one of the trails.

He became aware of another set of footsteps matching his. Behind him. He slowed, made a ninety degree turn to orient himself to the incoming threat.

Azareth was on him before he could draw and fire. His sword was drawn and hurtling toward Daemons neck. Instinctively he called ‘aegis’ and did his best to twist out of the way. The blade impacted the shield and deflected at an angle over his head. He moved to Azareth’s rear, forcing him to stop and redirect to face Daemon.

This gave him time to draw his pistol, but not fire accurately. He got off a few shots, and only one connected. Azareth stumbled as the blessed round entered his right thigh and exited out the back. He yelled in pain as it burned where the bullet made contact with his skin. He slowed but was able to swing the blade on the level with Daemon’s pistol.

Daemon mentally conjured ‘aegis’ once again, but he localized it only to his left hand. The strike still came but the shield covered his skin enough to deflect the blade and prevent the loss of the limb. The momentum caused enough disruption and power to lose his grip and the pistol careened out of his hands. Azareth still advanced, a tad slower, but enough for Daemon to step back and unsheathe his sticks. He held a modified bladed escrima stick in each hand, ready for the onslaught.

Daemon was confident with these weapons, but against a sword, he was not quite so. At best he might be able to redirect any swing, not stop any outright. His best bet would be to outmaneuver his opponent and buy time.

Hurry, guys. I don’t know how long I can do this.

Despite his leg wound, Azareth was fast. The strike came much faster than expected, but years of muscle memory allowed Daemon to move off the line. The follow up strikes came with precision, and Daemon was able to match blow for blow with deflection and movement. He seemingly held his own for a few moments in time until one of the strikes made direct contact with the stick in his right hand and sheared off the blade, leaving Daemon with just the handle.

The next strike wasn’t with the sword, but instead Azareth grabbed him by the lapel and threw him over his hip. Daemon landed hard on his right side, and Azareth’s blade stopped inches from his throat.

Elia was afraid of you? Hardly,” he spat. He and Gabriel would get along well.

She didn’t need to be, I was never after her,” Daemon managed to respond.

Azareth laughed, “I don’t care.” He raised the blade, preparing to strike.

Daemon didn’t wait, he tried to ‘throw’ him off of him with ‘flux’, but it only unbalanced the half-demon. Plan B, “Gabriel, flux!”, and Daemon was tossed a short distance away. He quickly got to his feet.

Clever,” Azareth commented as he moved in Daemon’s direction, spinning his sword. He allowed Azareth to take a few steps, then called ‘flux’ again. This time on the intact escrima blade he dropped when he was thrown to the ground. He ‘pulled’ it to strike the half-demon from behind. It connected somewhere near its right hip. Azareth straightened with the impact, and reached back and pulled it free, briefly looking at it and dropping it on the ground.

Azareth took another step and hesitated. The unmistakable sound of wolves could be heard thundering at a full run and getting louder. Daemon smiled, but stopped smiling when Azareth smiled back. He reached into his pocket and tossed something on the ground and spoke something Daemon couldn’t hear. He then turned and ran faster than humanly possible.

What did he throw on the ground? Daemon moved to get a closer look, and as he did so he felt his brand grow cooler, but something lingered. Magic? Was it a ward? He turned to warn the pack.

No, wait!” It was too late, the pack blew past him and triggered the ward. The sound was deafening, and it was fueled by air and exploded as the first wolf came too close. The blast sent Daemon backwards thirty feet over the crest of a hill, and he tumbled down another ten. It took a moment before he was confident enough to get up. The front of his shirt was soaked with, was it blood? He felt around for any injuries and realized the pocket that held the holy water vial was shattered and it was water that soaked his shirt. His shoulder and hip hurt, but he was relatively uninjured.

The wolves were tossed in all directions and only Dante was up and moving. He moved to check on one of his pack mates. Skinz came running up, out of breath, “You good?”. His eyes never looked at Daemon, but scanned the tree line, rifle up.

Daemon nodded and Jax and Z ran past to check on another downed wolf. Two were now up, but dazed. The one Jax approached was stirring and favoring a leg. The ward must have been designed more for stun than injuries, thankfully. It still did its job and derailed plans for pursuit.

Dante was now inching forward gingerly, testing the path to see if the ward was still there. Z was feet away, covering. Not wanting to risk there being more up the path, Dante decided the best bet at this point was to fall back.

The group spent the rest of the day licking their wounds and burying Lana. Aura had apparently sprained her right ankle and Daemon had helped bandage it, however, if she shifted she might lose it. Thankfully it was only a sprain.

The pack spent most of the day outside laying Lana to rest. Dante seemed to take it harder than the others and stayed with her gravesite even after the others had left, not caring if he was alone.

The four hunters took shifts watching over him from a distance, to allow the pack to recover and sleep.

Daemon had rummaged through the remaining supplies and found enough ammo for his pistol to top it off. He also picked up two machetes. They weren’t something he was used to, but it was better than nothing.

Night fell and Dante returned to the group, a quiet, unsettling anger surrounding him.

The night passed uneventfully.

North Olmsted Safehouse

Day Six

So what are we gonna do? Stay here forever? Anything is better than the anticipation,” Jax broke the silence in the room.

He was right, Daemon thought. Azareth will pick us off one by one, eventually. We can’t stay here. Maybe it would be better if I steal away tonight. Maybe he’ll leave them alone.

Probably not. Besides the pack will track me anyway if they realize I left.

Skinz spoke up, “We’ve only got enough supplies for tonight, we’ll have to move anyway.

My estate might be done. I think there were a few things left to do, mostly inside. The west wing was still unfinished, but everything else should be good. No food though as it hasn’t been stocked yet.

What about Great Lakes Theater?,” Jax asked.

The theater had a safe house beneath the building and should have more supplies for a few weeks. Good idea, but it’s a drive to downtown. Daemon had his truck and the other three hunters had theirs, a Honda pilot, Toyota RAV4, and Zayne had his bike.

Anyone we know currently there?” Daemon asked.

Don’t know, call it,” Skinz offered.

Daemon picked up his phone and called the safe house cell number, then hung up. He called it again and hung up. Then waited. After a few moment, his phone rang.

D? I thought you left.” It was ‘T’, or rather Thales Mercer.

T! It’s a long story but I’m here. Been back a few weeks. Z, S, and J are also here with me, and I pissed off a half-demon.

Jesus, it doesn’t take you long, does it?

Daemon smiled and shook his head, “This wasn’t actually my fault, just a misunderstanding. But I’m not kidding when I say it’s after me. Listen, we are going to head there tonight, running low on supplies here, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Roger, there’s plenty of that, here. See you soon.

Through the morning the team spent prepping and planning the route. They would take Stearns, to 480 east, then 71, 90, then get off at Ontario, then Euclid, then the theater. Sure.

Zayne sat near the front door of the store, shotgun in his lap. The door was slightly open and he was watching the street and talking to Caleb and Ares. Jax was lying back in a chair trying to catch a nap and Dante was flipping through his phone looking at pictures by himself.

Daemon was laying on the cot he had been using for the past week when Aura came in and sat on his lap. She put her injured leg over his to elevate and rest it while she sat.

I just wanted to let you know this wasn’t all business. I meant it when I said it was a bonus,” she looked down at her hands, a sorrowful look on her face.

But, when this is done, I’ll have to go back to Chicago.

Daemon nodded, “I know you do.

She beamed, “Maybe I’ll come visit. You know, to see Lana’s grave every now and then, not you.

He smiled, “I would like that, maybe I’ll show you my estate.

She brightened at the thought, “Estate? Maybe we can move Lana there.

She was joking, wasn’t she?

Her face darkened and turned to a more serious note.

The tattooed one told me you burned it to the ground.

Daemon sighed. “I did, but it’s almost rebuilt.

Why on earth would you do that?

I did it because I was leaving Cleveland and I didn’t want the information hidden inside to be seen.This was all true, just not the total truth.

I think most people just clean it out and sell it. Did you think of that?” she asked.

It was a low point. Let’s just say I was frustrated with the situation I was in and I was looking for a way out. I left the country and came back because I realized something. I need to be here, and I’m content here.” Also true, he hadn’t needed to withhold anything yet.

Was it a woman?” Fuck.

There was a woman that figured into the reasoning, but she and I were not involved.” He said, hoping it was dropped.

But you wanted her to be, didn’t you.” It wasn’t a question. Did I tell her these things when I was drunk?

For a time, yes. It was made clear that wasn’t going to happen.” Okay, still true.

Not anymore?” she asked. She’s relentless.

No, not anymore. I’m not sure when I realized it, but I am better than that, I’m second to no one. If she decided tomorrow that she wanted a close relationship, I will still be her second choice. I can't accept that anymore.

You’re still angry about it aren’t you.” She said these like she already knew. I must have told her everything before.

Yes, I am.

No. Not anymore.

The sound of guitar playing silenced any conversation. Aura looked over to find the source.

Saved by Skinz and he started to sing.

What am I what am I what am I waiting for
Why can’t I why can’t I get off the goddamn floor

Grandaddy said there’s two wolves inside your chest
And the one that survives is the one that you feed best
One of them loves everything that you fear
And the other one breathes for everything you hold dear

Why won’t I why won’t I just get up and move
Am I paralyzed or am I just born to lose
Born to lose

I know where I wanna be, but I’m afraid to start
I can hear those wolves out howling in the dark
As I take the first step I can feel their hungry eyes
If I ever wanna change I can’t hide forever inside

Born to lose

Born to lose

He put the guitar down and made a bowing motion while still seated.

Aura politely clapped, “A man of many talents.

You have no idea,” and he laughed.

All of Cleveland

Day Seven

They waited until midnight to make their move.

Daemon, made for the drivers seat of his truck, and Aura jumped in the passenger seat, with Dante jumping in the bed of his truck. Caleb followed Jax to his Pilot, Skinz and Ares took the RAV4, and Z jumped on his Harley. Once in, they planned to move fast, the idea being Azareth might not be able to keep up, and maybe he didn’t have a car available. The order of the convoy had Z lead in his bike, Daemon second, the RAV4 third, and then Jax and his Pilot.

They pulled out and headed for the on ramp to 480 from Stearns rd. They made the ramp when Jax came across the radio, “We got company, black Escalade behind us.” So much for no car. The convoy moved up the ramp and merged on 480, staying in the right lane. The powerful Escalade gained ground quickly and pulled behind the trailing car.

The radio crackled again, “What are we gonna do? Let him follow us?” Jax questioned.

We can’t lead him to the safe house.

Daemon picked up his phone, dialing T.

What’s up brother? You on the way?” said the voice on the other end.

Change of plans, we are coming in hot, going to have to redirect. Any ideas?” Daemon asked.

This going to get loud?” he asked.

Oh Yes. Somewhere secluded.

Ain’t nothing secluded in this part of the city. Baseball field might offer some privacy though. Just a few blocks from here.” He offered.

That could work. Might make a mess, but hopefully we’ll be long gone if we survive. If we don’t, well it won’t much matter to Daemon.

T chimed in again, “You know where Elderwood is? Near Collamer?

I think that’s East Cleveland, off of Euclid, “What about it?

There’s an abandoned neighborhood that nobody lives in, buildings crumbling. Might suit your purpose.

Better. No eyes or unneeded casualties, “We’ll take that. You take care of the swat?

Consider it done." He would call police dispatch and send them on a fake hot call away from the area.

You got anything big at the house?” Daemon asked, hopeful. He was asking T to get involved when he didn’t need to be.

I do, I’ll meet you there. Cross on Elderwood is Allandale.” he advised.

I’m sending Z your way, and thanks.

Anytime, anywhere. You ain’t gotta ask.” He said and hung up.

Daemon put his phone away and clicked the mic, “Z, push forward to Elderwood and Allandale. T is going to meet you with hardware.

Daemon got a two click response and Z opened it up. He’ll make the location long before they get close. I hope this works.

The convoy was forced to slow down to negotiate the 480 to 71 interchange. The Escalade tried to pull along the right side of Jax’s Pilot, and was blocked when the hunter rode the shoulder, giving Azareth nowhere to go.

He just tried to get on my right, probably to force me left.

He wants to split us up. Easier to pick us off.

The convoy made 71 and opened it up, trying to stay up front. The drive was intense, all eyes watching both the road and behind them and seemed to last for hours, but in reality was more like 10 or 15 minutes. The Escalade stayed behind Jax on this stretch.

When 71 bends north, it shortly changes to 90 which flows through the city. It heads straight into Lake Erie where Daemon takes the hard right to stay on 90. The convoy stays on 90 for a few miles when it approached the exit for Eddy Rd, and Daemon slowed to take it. The first two cars made the exit but when Jax slowed, Azareth placed his left fender into the Pilots right rear quarter panel and cranked the wheel left. It sent the Pilot into a clockwise spin, coming to rest against the wall and partially blocking the exit.

When the Pilot slammed against the wall, Jax was shoved into the door, straining the seatbelt. He was already trying to get out, recognizing the disadvantage. He looked right and saw Caleb grab the passenger side door handle and hesitate. The Escalade had pulled up tight alongside, too close to open the door. There was a rain of lead as Azareth emptied the mag from his weapon through the passenger window, hoping to get both occupants.

Caleb turned, scrambling to follow Jax out the driver’s door. He fumbled with the handle, managing to pull it, and the door opened free. Several rounds tore into Caleb’s back, and he tried to make himself as big as possible to cover his partner. Jax felt a punch in his shoulder and chest as the rounds ripped through Caleb and impacted on the vest he wore. He saw the look of desperation on Caleb’s face as he pushed Jax backwards and out of the SUV.

Daemon hit the brakes at the bottom of the ramp when he heard the shots. Gabriel whispered in his mind, “Go, you can’t do anything for them now.” He stepped on the gas and turned onto Eddy and the RAV4 followed.

The vehicles sped down the length of Eddy, and the Escalade trailed behind. It had fallen back some but was not far. Saint Clair came up fast and Daemon braked to negotiate it. He stepped on the gas and bore right to turn onto Shaw. This would run into Euclid, and Allandale was only a few blocks away.

As the convoy hurtled down Shaw, Daemon tried raising Jax on the radio.

J! Squelch if you can.” Nothing. “Z, we are nearing Allandale, just me and S.

Come up Allandale from Euclid, when you hit the intersection, split.

Direct.” Daemon responded. Skinz concurred.

Daemon slowed a little, in order for whatever T had planned to work, it was safe to say Azareth had to be behind them. Closer. As he turned onto Euclid, he could see the Escalade had gained a little, now it was closer to 50 or 60 feet. He mashed on the gas to make it look legit, and slowed a little more to turn on Allandale, before he stepped on it again. Both cars rounded the turn and as they approached the “T” intersection, Daemon turned left and Skinz, right.

As the Escalade turned the corner, Azareth sped up. Z yanked the string attached to the stinger stop sticks that lie across the road, just in front of the Escalade. He pulled it too quick but both left side tires drove over it. The deflation wasn’t immediate, but air began escaping. The idea being the vehicle would get increasingly more difficult to handle and if the tires came off, and eventually they would, then the rims would impede control further. This was only in case T missed.

T aimed the old LAW launcher from the 3rd floor of the house and down at the Escalade approaching. He watched as the two hunters split and as soon as the view was clear, he launched the projectile.

Azareth saw and felt the vehicle run over the stop sticks and observed T in the window. He opened the door and rolled, faster than a normal human could have done so.

The projectile impacted where the windshield meets the hood and detonated, penetrating the interior and setting it ablaze.

Dante jumped from the bed, now in wolf form, as did Ares. Aura jumped down and before she could change, she stumbled from the sprain and caught herself. Daemon had jumped out and drew his pistol as he neared the front of his truck. Skins had come to a stop and when Ares jumped out, he did also, shouldering his rifle. Both Dante and Ares were on Azareth in seconds.

The explosion was unexpected and deafening. Daemon felt the shockwave hit him and he instinctively invoked ‘aegis’, but if it had any effect, he was unaware. It tossed him into the front of his truck and over the hood, coming to rest on the ground by the driver’s side. Shrapnel rained everywhere and shattered glass all around.

Daemon! Get up! Get the fuck up!” Gabriel.

Daemon’s world went black.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Rogues Gallery

auragarrow(5).png.6012069fc26d4482b85f72bc0340ea1e.pngAura Garrow

Lupine Theriomorph

Last surviving member of the Chicago wolf pack

jaxon_jax_stone.png.0c0b612e4c1a046d2a2148c310cc5616.png

Jaxon "Jax" Stone - Contact "J"

Former Police Officer (6 years)

Specialties

daniel_skinz_baker.png.0056c0ea1fe7a10e56b94580ca01154e.png

Daniel "Skinz" Baker - Contact "S"

Former MMA fighter

Specialties

andrew_zayne_zayne.png.f15dbd88bf816c73502139e6e7faf685.png

Andrew "Zayne" Zayne - Contact "Z"

Former 1%er

Specialties

thales_t_mercer.png.c8d5aa2c67ce893973994c6e8e6f6e6e.pngThales "T" Mercer - Contact "T"

Former Green Beret

Specialties

Heavy weapons

Medic