Starting stats:

• STR = 7
  • DEX = 16 (+2 Racial Mod) = 18
  • CON = 12
  • INT = 16
  • WIS = 11 (+1 Harfoot family) = 12
  • CHA = 12

Background:

Seeker of the Lost: Proficiency Lore, Investigation, Feature: Lore of the Lost, Distinctive Quality: Curious, Specialty: Elven Lore, Hope: By recovering the past I can make things better in the present, Despair: I shall never find the information that I need for my quest.

Features:

• Hobbit Elusiveness = Proficiency: Stealth
  • Hobbit Nimbleness = Move through space of others
  • Resilient = ADV on Corruption saves
  • Noble Pursuits = Proficiency: Short Bow, Pipes, Cooks Utensils
  • Language = Westron
  • Unobtrusive = attempt to hide behind allies

Class: Treasure Hunter Level 2

• Proficiencies: Simple weapons, broadsword, Shortsword
  • Light Armor
  • Thieves Tools
  • Saves: DEX, INT
  • Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Riddle, Sleight of Hand
  • Shadow Sickness
  • Expertise: Thieves Tools, Stealth
  • Night Vision
  • Sneak Attack
  • Cunning Action
  • "silver"
  • Shortbow, arrows, 2 daggers, leather jerkin, broadsword

Class: Scholar Level 1

• 2 Proficiencies: Nature, Herbalist Kit
  • Hands of a healer
  • News from Afar
  • Tongues of Many Peoples

Starting Hit Points 8+CON = 9

"Level 2 HP"

"Lev 3 Hit points"

Total HP 9+5+7=21

image.png.cbee085a9071bebc1eea27760b6df265.png

image.png.294444948b5b754ab1aea7854c8dad27.png

image.png.75635d2bc5924f36b9b302077d350ba0.png

image.png.400b81064b077a4453d1c5135d127edd.png

image.png.bda9cea9dd9e5235de7b2d0c3912b3e0.png

Things about your character’s concept and background, things that you think are the most essential parts of your character.

1. He is a private investigator who is not bound by the restrictions of the law to gather his information or evidence.  He is on friendly terms with the Bounders and allowed to operate where normal citizens would not.
  2. He loves knowledge and is well read pertaining to lore of long ago.  He is especially fascinated with Elven Lore as they are regarded as the firstborn.
  3. Unravelling riddles to find that secret knowledge hidden within is not only a delightful challenge, but a passion which usually involves his well smoked pipe.
  4. He loves plants and has learned to create useful poultices and salves with the knowledge of their natural properties.
  5. He is regarded as odd by some and kooky by most as there is "too much adventure in him!" The few who get to know him appreciate the results he achieves although they do not always understand his methods.

List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game. During any session in which you take positive action to achieve that goal, I will award you an action point that can only be used in scenes furthering that goal. These Action Points are separate from the action points you gain by resting and reaching milestones. You can change goals later, though you lose all the accumulated Action Points for the goal you abandoned.

1. Dandi loves solving mysteries simply for the challenge, the more complex the better.  But he is especially proud if they lead to the restoration of property or the safety of individuals in danger. 
  2. He would love to learn directly from the elves about ancient artifacts of old, perhaps attaining high enough esteem to be called their friend and become someone even they might turn to for aid.

List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

Secrets

1. Dandi secretly admires those who have the capacity to outwit him, especially the alleged criminal known as the Cunning Hare of Hardbottle, who has to this point eluded him at every turn. No formal charges could be brought against this mysterious person except that "things ain't what they ought to be." Hobbits awake past their bed time is a strange thing indeed.
  2. The Cunning Hare of Hardbottle is actually a well to do hobbit of good repute, Delphinium Goodbody, who on occasion attempts to flirt with Dandi.  He regards her as an extremely beautiful hobbit which does throw him off of his game a little when he is around her.  But he does not believe she would satisfy his intellectual needs.  If only he knew...

Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

1. Dandi's closest friend Loremaster Will Whitfoot, a retired Bounder, often lends his aid to Dandi while they are on cases together, and his friendship when they are not.
  2. Delphinium Goodbody seems to always insert her way into Dandi's social life.  She will generally insist that they dine and dance together at all the parties they attend together.
  3. There are many enemies of justice, but none so bold at Botho Maggot.  Dandi is currently investigating a case known among the Shirefolk as the Fiend of Frogmorton.  Botho, who has visited the Shire from his home in Bree-land had trained his pet frog to steal anything within tongues reach. Many buttons, some copper and an especially prized glass marble went missing. Dandi is currently headed to Bree to find the evidence he needs to close the case.

Describe three memories that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

1. Dandi remembers the emotional distress his clients usually have when they come to him and their relief and joy when the case is solved.  This gives him a sense of obligation or duty to come through for his clients as he is often their last resort.
  2. Dandi remembers working with his mother, Ruby Puddifoot, in the garden and the kitchen which has led to his love of plants and cooking.  He is reminded of her when he employs those skills.
  3. Dandi remembers the thrill of dancing with Delphinia Goodbody, he will never forget the nibble she took on one of his ears.

Design notes for Dandifred Puddifoot
Curious by nature, Dandi has found himself in a unique position working adjacent to the law.  Although not an official Bounder of the shire, he has been called upon to investigate matters a bit too tricky for them.  He has a love for knowledge and solving puzzles.  His success in closing cases and recovering property has earned him some respect.  Being outside the law has been a great advantage, as it allows him to employ methods that the law would normally frown upon.  However, he is given the leeway to "do his thing" when called upon.  

Edited by Old_Skuul (see edit history)
Name
Level 2 HP
1d8+1 4
Lev 3 Hit points
1d8+1 6
Silver Pennies
5d6 4,2,2,5,6
silver
2d6 5,3

Okay, initial feedback on the mechanics:

• For height, hobbits are stated to be "just slightly under three feet tall". I'm assuming 3'10 was a typo, then?
  • For your Shadow Weakness, it's Dragon-sickness, not Shadow Sickness
  • Broadswords are finesse weapons, so you can add your Dexterity modifier to attacks instead of Strength

Otherwise, everything else is good! When it comes to your character backstory, I always suggest to my players to use the 10-Minute Background format. It helps them cover their bases by asking specific, structured questions for you to answer, and it helps me by breaking everything down in its most important bits for easier reference when I later include your backstory elements in the campaign. But if you have another preference, that's perfectly acceptable as well!

Alright, some feedback for you about your backstory.

• I dig the concept of Hobbit Sherlock Holmes. Dandi would probably be seen as kinda kooky by his neighbors, "too much adventure in him", but being nosey is a classic hobbit pastime.
  • I think you might have gone too dark with the sort of investigations Dandi gets up to. The Shire is meant to be an agrarian utopia, where the worst things that ever happen are annoying neighbors, mild drama (think the Sackville-Baggins taking Bilbo's silver spoons), or problems with wild animals. That's what makes the Scourging of the Shire such an impactful event, because that really is when the Shadow first gains a hold in that land. An ancient relic emerging and the kidnapping of children goes too far, in my opinion.
    • However, I would be willing to let something like this slide if your hobbit was of the Little Folk of Bree, or at least investigated this case in Bree-land.
  • There are no universities in Middle-earth, so the title of "doctor" wouldn't exist. Education is far more informal, occasionally taking the form an apprenticeship or a guild in urban areas, like the Mathom Society out of Michel Delving. Will Whitfoot could be known as a loremaster or a scholar, maybe a schoolmaster, if you want to keep that concept.
  • "The Fluffy Bunny Bandit" doesn't really jive with the sort of language that's commonly used in the legendarium, as far as pseudonyms go. It's a little too silly. Try to come up with something more suitable, such as "the Cunning Hare of Hardbottle", or something like that.
  • Something major that you should consider is why Dandi would ever leave the Shire in the first place. The current storyline is focused in Bree-land, so you'll need to consider why he would cross the Brandywine Bridge and go so far from home.

Posted (edited)

I agree 100%, thank you for the suggestions. My brain power is currently zapped. I have made adjustments notated in purple above. His current connection to Bree is the case he is working on.

And YES!!!!! I did not come to the Sherlock Holmes idea until you forwarded me the 10 minute app, I think it could be fun.

Posted (edited)
image.png.03909d1595567e8c347ac86a95a69c1d.png

Dandifred(Dandi) Puddifoot Hobbit Treasure Hunter 2/Scholar 1

AC: 15HP: 21/21Initiative: +4Passive Perception: 11Insight: 11Speed: 25 ft
Inspiration: NShadow: 0 | Hands of a HealerYou know how to treat wounds and illness and poison. You have a pool of healing tricks and techniques that replenishes when you take a short rest. You have one Healing Die (1d8) per level in the Scholar class.

If you can touch a creature, you may expend one Healing Die per action, instantly granting them hit points equal to 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier, up to their maximum. If instead you tend the creature for at least 10 minutes, binding their wounds, treating them with herbs and poultices, and offering soothing words, then you may multiply the 1d8 by your proficiency modifier, then add your Wisdom modifier.

Alternatively, you can spend a Healing Die to cure one disease, neutralize one poison, or remove one condition affecting a single target. Conditions are removed instantly, but poisons and diseases require the creature to take a long rest before they are removed.

The types of conditions you can cure are limited when you first gain this feature. You can remove the Frightened, Paralyzed, Stunned, or Unconscious conditions. At 9th level you can cure other conditions as a physician.
:
 1 | News From AfarYou know many things that are hidden from most and tidings of distant events tend to reach you with astonishing speed. The source of your knowledge is obscure and you do not explain how you know the things you do to others - it is enough that what you know is true.

At the start of each adventuring phase or after spending time in a sanctuary, the Loremaster should inform you of one or two events of importance occurring somewhere in Wilderland.

Scholars always know a little bit about everything and the Loremaster should regularly give you rumors or information based on your appropriate Passive ability checks. For more clarity you can always make an active ability check to learn more about a person, place, or event. Once per Adventuring Phase you can add +5 to one of these active ability checks.
:
 1 |
 Tongues of Many PeopleYou know a little of many languages. You can hold a simple conversation in any of the tongues of Men or Elves, and a few common phrases in the tongues of the other peoples - enough to offer a greeting, shout a warning, or insult someone. | Cunning ActionStarting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action. | Sneak AttackBeginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll. The amount of this extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Treasure Hunter table.

| Hobbit NimblenessYou can move through the space of any creature who is at least one size larger than yours. | 
UnobtrusiveYou can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you. | Lore of the LostWhile you have not found that which you seek, you have come across much lost lore concerning other issues. You know tidbits of lore, hints of where lost kingdoms lie, ruins lay buried and relics have been discarded.

When you hear about a new region or ruin for the first time, you probably know at least a bit of lore about it and where you can likely find even more information (such as a song known to minstrels of a particular region, an old book in a library in Rivendell, Goblin cave paintings in the Misty Mountains and so on).

| Broadsword1d8 slashing +6 to hit| Short Bow1d6 piercing +6 to hit
range 80/320

|
 Belt Dagger1d4 piercing +6 to hit
range 20/60ft thrown
| TraitsHope - By recovering the past I can make things better in the present.

Despair - I shall never find the information that I need for my quest

Distinctive Quality - Curious. You have a natural curiosity, especially for things that are missing.

Specialty - Elven-lore. A good amount of your quest is tied to the Elves and you have learned much about them.