Eleanor Wrigley; "Geist"

RedRajah

Mother of cats...I DELETED MY ENTIRE DAMN TOPIC!

Character Name: Eleanor Wrigley
Alternate Identities: Geist
Player Name: RedRajah

CHARACTERISTICS
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
5 STR 10 -5 5 10- HTH Damage 1d6 END [1]
15 DEX 10 10 15 12-  
18 CON 10 8 18 13-  
16 BODY 10 6 16    
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-
18 EGO 10 8 18 13-  
18 PRE 10 8 38 17- PRE Attack: 7 1/2d6

20 PD 2 18 20   20 PD (0 rPD)
20 ED 2 18 20   20 ED (0 rED)
4 SPD 2.0 20 4   Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12
10 REC 4 6 10    
30 END 20 2 30    
20 STUN 20 0 20    
10" Running 12 -2 10m    
0" Swimming 4 -2 0m    
2" Leaping 4 -1 2m 142 Total Characteristics Points
CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 0
Spent: 0
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 300
Disad Points: 60
Total Points: 300
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (12) 10m [20m NC]
Swim (4) 0m [ NC]
H. Leap (4m) 2m
V. Leap (2m) 1m
Flight 10m [40m NC]
DEFENSES
Type Amount
Physical Defense 20
Res. Phys. Defense 0
Energy Defense 20
Res. Energy Defense 0
Mental Defense 3
Power Defense 3

COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 7 DCV: 7

Combat Skill Levels:
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10
Targeting shot OCV Hit Location
Head shot (Head to Shoulders) -4 1d6+3
High shot (Head to Vitals) -2 2d6+1
Body shot (Hands to Legs) -1 2d6+4
Low shot (Shoulders to Feet) -2 2d6+7
Leg shot (Vitals to Feet) -4 1d6+12

SKILLS
Cost  Name
3 Mimicry 13-
3 Oratory 17-
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Forensic Medicine 13-
3 Criminology 13-
3 Streetwise 17-
3 Ventriloquism 13-
5 Cramming
3 Interrogation 17-
3 Shadowing 13-
32 Total Skills Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
3 Dead Folk Get No Notice: Anonymity
3 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
4 Speed Reading (x10)
4 Total Talents Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
31 Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Longevity: Immortal; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)
Notes: This is a ghost
3 Power Defense (3 points) 0
3 Mental Defense (3 points total) 0
8 EctoHeal: Regeneration (1 BODY per Hour) 0
50 Ghosty Stuff!: Multipower, 50-point reserve  
4f
1) It Goes RIGHT Through Me!: Desolidification (affected by Magic), Custom Adder (40 Active Points)
3f
2) FREEZE, MOTHER[BLEEP]ER!: Entangle 2d6, 2 PD/2 ED, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; Mental Paralysis; +1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (Mental Paralysis; +1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks, STR only to break out (Mental Paralysis; +1) (50 Active Points); Mental Defense Adds To EGO (Mental Paralysis; -1/2)
Notes: Mental Paralysis
2f
3) THAT WHICH MAN WAS NOT MEANT TO SEE!: Sight Group Flash 4d6 (20 Active Points); Limited Range (-1/4)
2f
4) Just Call Me 'John Cena'!: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points)
2f
5) That Oogie-Boogie Feeling: Drain CON 2d6 (20 Active Points)
3v
6) WHEE~!: Flight 10m, x4 Noncombat (15 Active Points)
2f
7) Gimmie That!: Telekinesis (10 STR), Fine Manipulation (25 Active Points)
4v
8) "BOOOOOOOOOO~!": +20 PRE (20 Active Points)

2f
9) Ghost In the Machine: Dispel Electronic Devices/Computers 12d6 (36 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)
Notes: Affects only Electronic Devices/Computers
119 Total Powers Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Magic (Uncommon)
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Magic (Uncommon)
10 Psychological Complication: Obsessed with finding out THE TRUTH about her murder (Uncommon; Strong)
Notes: Leaving the specifics up to the GM
15 Psychological Complication: Code Versus Killing (Common; Strong)
25 Distinctive Features: Ghost (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
60 Total Disadvantages Cost
Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

BACKGROUND

(at the office of one Chester Alsworth, PI)

"Okay, so I was an admin assistant over at Morley's.  Y'know, the real estate firm over in the Financial District?  Yeah well, it wasn't great or anything, but it paid the bills.  Key word being 'paid'.  'Cause WHOOPSIE!  The pandemic hits and I'm out of a job!  Seriously think I could have had a discrimination case if I pushed it...

ANYWAYS!  Well, figured I'm not doing anything right now, right?  But I watch a lotta 'Dateline' and 'Forensic Files' and stuff like that, killing time.  And BOOM!  It hits me -- PODCAST!  I mean, there's been a LOT of crime and creepy [bleep] here in Sovereign City, right?  And don't even get me STARTED about about the Mob greasing the palms of the cops and City Hall back in the Seventies -- hell, there's STILL a lotta corruption there today!  I mean, you know about that already, right?

Where was I?  OH YEAH!  My podcast --  'Sovereign City Scuzzbuckets'!  Whaddya mean you never heard of it?  It was on Spotify!  Got just over fifty cases up there!  So yeah, I was getting good numbers too -- just cracked a hundred downloads on my first episode!  Got my first coupla sponsors too!  TheraHelp and MacLordships.  Twenty-twenty-two, baby -- I was going places...

...at least until someone killed me...

...I didn't see -- didn't see who did it.  Was picking up Thai over at 'Passage to Bangkok'.  Best beef larb...[bleep], can't eat anything any more.  Didn't even make it two blocks.  I heard the shot, felt this BURNING sensation in my back, then pain.  Just so much pain.  And I could smell my blood and gunpowder.  And then...then there was nothing.  That -- that's the only way I can describe it -- I was just...gone.

But...but now I'm BACK.  One year anniversary of my murder and I'm suddenly BACK!  I don't know why or how at first -- despite what 'Beetlejuice' said, I didn't get a freakin' manual on the afterlife!  But then I find out NO ONE'S done [BLEEP] on my case!  Not the cops, not the press, hell, ya think one of my fellow podcasters woulda AT LEAST done a tribute on me!  Yeah, okay, I'm not hot or rich or had stage parents who pimped me out on the kiddie pageant circuit, but c'mon!    So THAT'S why I'm back -- I gotta find out who killed me!  But it's been over a year!   All my notes, all my research, all my fan mail?  GONE!  I must have pissed off someone really bad or really higher up to do this to me!  Or, ooooooooooh, maybe I had a stalker?!  Anyways, I can't be just another cold case in Sovereign City!

So, whaddya say, Alsworth?"

PERSONALITY

Eleanor does come across as a wee bit overenthusiastic and overwhelming at times, but is relatively good-natured about her current status as a ghost. Still, her assertive personality is trying to hide the fact that she was extremely insecure about the fact that she led a life that nobody seemed to care about. She had no family left apart from a distant cousin that, last she knew, lived in Iowa and had no real friends (let alone a boyfriend) to speak of. Having a podcast filled a void in her social life and it breaks her heart that, now that she's dead, no one's mourning or remembering her in any meaningful way. If she can be a hero, maybe she can finally feel she's done something Worthwhile with her unlife.

POWERS

As Geist, she's still learning How To Be a Ghost. Being desolid is something she has to "turn on", so it's not a default state for her. But spooky things like her Drain, Flash and TK, she's getting used to. And who hasn't dreamed of being able to fly or become invisible? Of course, her Dispel Electronics ability has made getting back into podcasting a problematic affair...

APPEARANCE

Eleanor was 42 when she was murdered, 5'4", 16something*coughcough* pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. Slightly frumpy, with glasses and pulled up hair and still wearing the outfit she died in.

image.jpeg.6e1717b13f7eaa95ca48a89c5b826776.jpeg

Edited by RedRajah (see edit history)

1. What is your experience with the Hero System Rules?
Cut my teeth on the Big Blue Book back in the late 90's/early aughts. Eager to get back into Champions with 5e/6e

2. What is your experience with PbP?

Started doing freeform PBEMs back in the early aughts (e-wrestling and X-Men). Been on various PBP forums since '08.

3. What is your Role-playing Experience (overall, PbP and otherwise)? And, what makes a game "good"?

Been roleplaying in some form or another for 40+ years now. I am of the mindset that collaboration makes for better enjoyment. That giving folks spotlight time with personal hooks (if they so wish it, of course) gets them engaged. Open dialogue of what should be expected in a game, what's potentially problematic (including for the GM -- they deserve to have fun too and not be squicked out) and what everyone is generally looking for is key.

4. Please link me a couple examples of your Roleplaying here at the Weave (preferred). If no examples, be sure to post an "RP" in the open RP thread (when I get one up) I'd like to see a sample of your game-style writing.

Well, this was from the Champions game you and I were in last year... ;)

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/5016-freedom-city-champions-1/page/3/#comment-58665

From the OGMW site

https://og.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=7831332#post7831332

5. Tell me about a couple of your favorite characters you've actually played (in PBP or even in TT) and why you enjoyed those characters so much.

My first 7th Sea character back in '00 -- Lady Grace McKenzie. Swashbuckling, hard-drinking archaeologist! The most ignoble noble you could ever meet. She encouraged me to be over the top, to take risks -- and that I could tell a story that could engage others too.

"Bad Wolf" Christopher Black -- One of my heel (bad guy) e-wrestlers. A way for me to (healthily) plumb the depths of sociopathy and ring psychology. Compared to other, bigger "monsters" heels in the feds we were in, he looked more "normal". A "small dog with a big bite" was how I initially described him. But I got into some dark places with him in the promos I delivered -- to the point that other heels were disgusted by him. And because he was smaller, he sold like a fiend in the ring. When he lost, it got to him and he was determined to make it everyone else's problem.

6. Name (do not use the "mention" function) one or more players 'applying' for this game ("Shadows of the City") whom you would like to be accepted (Other than yourself, obviously you want to be accepted or you'd just withdraw) into this game and why you would like to play with them here. (example reasons. Good Character concept that fits well with yours, Played with them before and they are a good RPer, They are Helpful, whatever). Please be sure to put this response in a private tag for myself (if left blank, private tags are still viewable by the GM). Please use the Private tags. I don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt. Also, you may need to come back to this later after seeing who has applied.

7. Describe your desired character for me
Don't worry... change this as often as you need to. I fully understand that characters can't be fleshed out until you know what the heck you're playing toward!)

My initial concept is a ghost/revenant looking to find out who killed her -- some sort of "sonic ghost". NOT a banshee -- more subtle. If this takes place in current times, she was a budding podcaster in SC with DOZENS~! of listeners who was reporting on true crime and corruption in the city. Maybe she rubbed the wrong feathers, maybe she had an unhinged stalker, maybe it was totally a random event. She doesn't know who murdered her -- just that no one seems to CARE. Not the cops OR the media -- she's being treated as a nobody and she HATES that.

Spitballin' potential powers for Geist. I'm seeing her as someone who is still learning how to be a ghost.

Life Support (vs breathing, eating, sleeping, aging, disease, poison)

Desolid/can go through walls -- but she has to turn it "on" (wouldn't be able to use attacks while desolid, magic can still affect her either way)

1pt Regen (while attacks can affect her when she's not desolid, she can "pull herself back together" quicker)

Flight, but not super-level fast

Invisibility (but for now costs a butt-load of END)

High PRE (for scarin' the crap outta folks)

Disruptin' electronics ala Kitty Pryde (for now, maybe take some BODY or STUN herself when she does it to reflect she's still not used to it?)

Maybe a weak CON drain?

10 STR TK -- enough to do some interaction with the physical world

The Voice Negation Variant from Champions Powers (p351)

An "ecto-field" to represent PD/ED

Heh, desolid was one of the powers I was thinking about saying no to... Thinking... So let's go yes for Geist. That combat potential is limited as long as the CON drain isn't too high. Those drains are more dangerous with the decrease in characteristic costs in 6e

Mother of cats...I DELETED MY ENTIRE DAMN TOPIC!

CHARACTERISTICS
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
5 STR 10 -5 5 10- HTH Damage 1d6 END [1]
15 DEX 10 10 15 12-  
18 CON 10 8 18 13-  
16 BODY 10 6 16    
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-
18 EGO 10 8 18 13-  
18 PRE 10 8 38 17- PRE Attack: 7 1/2d6

20 PD 2 18 20   20 PD (0 rPD)
20 ED 2 18 20   20 ED (0 rED)
4 SPD 2.0 20 4   Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12
10 REC 4 6 10    
30 END 20 2 30    
20 STUN 20 0 20    
10" Running 12 -2 10m    
0" Swimming 4 -2 0m    
2" Leaping 4 -1 2m 142 Total Characteristics Points
CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 0
Spent: 0
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 300
Disad Points: 60
Total Points: 300
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (12) 10m [20m NC]
Swim (4) 0m [ NC]
H. Leap (4m) 2m
V. Leap (2m) 1m
Flight 10m [40m NC]
DEFENSES
Type Amount
Physical Defense 20
Res. Phys. Defense 0
Energy Defense 20
Res. Energy Defense 0
Mental Defense 3
Power Defense 3

COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 7 DCV: 7

Combat Skill Levels:
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10
Targeting shot OCV Hit Location
Head shot (Head to Shoulders) -4 1d6+3
High shot (Head to Vitals) -2 2d6+1
Body shot (Hands to Legs) -1 2d6+4
Low shot (Shoulders to Feet) -2 2d6+7
Leg shot (Vitals to Feet) -4 1d6+12

SKILLS
Cost  Name
3 Mimicry 13-
3 Oratory 17-
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Forensic Medicine 13-
3 Criminology 13-
3 Streetwise 17-
3 Ventriloquism 13-
5 Cramming
3 Interrogation 17-
3 Shadowing 13-
32 Total Skills Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
3 Dead Folk Get No Notice: Anonymity
3 Total Perks Cost
TALENTS
Cost  Name
4 Speed Reading (x10)
4 Total Talents Cost

POWERS
Cost  Power END
31 Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Longevity: Immortal; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)
Notes: This is a ghost
3 Power Defense (3 points) 0
3 Mental Defense (3 points total) 0
8 EctoHeal: Regeneration (1 BODY per Hour) 0
50 Ghosty Stuff!: Multipower, 50-point reserve  
4f
1) It Goes RIGHT Through Me!: Desolidification (affected by Magic), Custom Adder (40 Active Points)
3f
2) FREEZE, MOTHER[BLEEP]ER!: Entangle 2d6, 2 PD/2 ED, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; Mental Paralysis; +1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (Mental Paralysis; +1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks, STR only to break out (Mental Paralysis; +1) (50 Active Points); Mental Defense Adds To EGO (Mental Paralysis; -1/2)
Notes: Mental Paralysis
2f
3) THAT WHICH MAN WAS NOT MEANT TO SEE!: Sight Group Flash 4d6 (20 Active Points); Limited Range (-1/4)
2f
4) Just Call Me 'John Cena'!: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points)
2f
5) That Oogie-Boogie Feeling: Drain CON 2d6 (20 Active Points)
3v
6) WHEE~!: Flight 10m, x4 Noncombat (15 Active Points)
2f
7) Gimmie That!: Telekinesis (10 STR), Fine Manipulation (25 Active Points)
4v
8) "BOOOOOOOOOO~!": +20 PRE (20 Active Points)

2f
9) Ghost In the Machine: Dispel Electronic Devices/Computers 12d6 (36 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)
Notes: Affects only Electronic Devices/Computers
119 Total Powers Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Magic (Uncommon)
5 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Magic (Uncommon)
10 Psychological Complication: Obsessed with finding out THE TRUTH about her murder (Uncommon; Strong)
Notes: Leaving the specifics up to the GM
15 Psychological Complication: Code Versus Killing (Common; Strong)
25 Distinctive Features: Ghost (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
60 Total Disadvantages Cost

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it seems like the crunch is good. You'd mentioned that she's still 'learning how to be a ghost' and that's why she can't use all of her powers together (specifically in the multi-power and specifically the Desolid). I just want to make sure we are on the same page regarding that moving forward. Since she has to 'turn on' being a ghost, does that mean her life support only works when she's desolid? (If so, there's some savings there you didn't capitalize on) or is she a 'ghost' but still physical in the world most of the time?