Interested

Kamishiro_Rin

Currently in Tokyo and I get back to my house on the 4th. Until then I'll think of a character that I'd like to apply to your game for.

Could you let me know what kinds of things you want for an application, if you have any restrictions on lineage, background, class, or if you have any restrictions on supplemental materials such as no third party material or we can't use certain books?

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

I want to keep it as simple as possible for my first run. So I want to keep it to the things included in the basic rules so that excludes any third party materials I guess, because I have no knowledge of them.

As for the application, I added an Application topic where you can post your character.

Edited by Ziminar (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Ziminar said:

You can either roll for them or use the standard array.

Hi, is there a limit to the attribute rolls? I am interested, but noticed some people rolled for stats up to 4 times. Just want to get clarification before I assume. Thanks!

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

Hi, is there a limit to the attribute rolls? I am interested, but noticed some people rolled for stats up to 4 times. Just want to get clarification before I assume. Thanks!

I'm going to be using the standard array because my rolls were unviable. Up to the DM to enforce the number of rolls available.

It's no fun playing a character with extremely low attributes, your character won't be able to contribute as much you would like and the rest of the party will have to support that character more.
What is viable is up for debate I guess, I think the guideline @Kamishiro_Rin used (modifiers to add up to at least five) is a fine one.

I haven't thought out all the details in the campaign yet and considering how unexperienced I am as a DM, the choices I make might lead to some unreasonable difficult situations for the party.
That said i think it would be better if your character can handle him- or herself.
It seems easier to change something storywise or to a single or group of monsters than to a character later on.

The most important thing for me is to let my players and myself to have fun and having a weak character doesn't seem like fun to me.
So unless you are into that and the rest of the party is cool with i'll let you keep whatever the dice roll for you, otherwise roll until you hit at least +5 on modifiers or use the standard array.

1 hour ago, Ziminar said:

It's no fun playing a character with extremely low attributes, your character won't be able to contribute as much you would like and the rest of the party will have to support that character more.
What is viable is up for debate I guess, I think the guideline @Kamishiro_Rin used (modifiers to add up to at least five) is a fine one.

I haven't thought out all the details in the campaign yet and considering how unexperienced I am as a DM, the choices I make might lead to some unreasonable difficult situations for the party.
That said i think it would be better if your character can handle him- or herself.
It seems easier to change something storywise or to a single or group of monsters than to a character later on.

The most important thing for me is to let my players and myself to have fun and having a weak character doesn't seem like fun to me.
So unless you are into that and the rest of the party is cool with i'll let you keep whatever the dice roll for you, otherwise roll until you hit at least +5 on modifiers or use the standard array.

All totally reasonable points. I can't actually remember where I read it but I could have sworn that I read it in either the players handbook or the dungeon Master's guide at some point that if your total scores don't add up to 72 or your total modifiers don't add up to five then the set can't be considered valid. However am thinking that that might be from the third edition and not the 5th edition. I went looking for it in the 5th edition handbook and couldn't find it. Either way I rolled three sets whose total modifiers didn't even approach five and gave up so in the interest of being honest I will be using the standard array of 15 14 13 12 10 8.

1 hour ago, Kamishiro_Rin said:

All totally reasonable points. I can't actually remember where I read it but I could have sworn that I read it in either the players handbook or the dungeon Master's guide at some point that if your total scores don't add up to 72 or your total modifiers don't add up to five then the set can't be considered valid. However am thinking that that might be from the third edition and not the 5th edition. I went looking for it in the 5th edition handbook and couldn't find it. Either way I rolled three sets whose total modifiers didn't even approach five and gave up so in the interest of being honest I will be using the standard array of 15 14 13 12 10 8.

I never knew that omggg

In my opinion with 5e, 4d6 drop lowest and standard array are both pretty generous...especially with how AC scales in this edition. I almost feel like the official stuff gets done with straight 3d6s in mind. If you are a person that doesn't DM often, the times during play when battle seems tense really are more often than not a total pushover behind the scenes.

5e in general I think is pretty 'easy' unless you adjust ACs, hp, action economy, etc. You absolutely have to change these things for there to be any real challenge (not just a perceived challenge). Of course, how you manage/limit party resources has an equally big impact on that as well.

In other words, I think if you allow rolled stats and run adventures/encounters 'by the book' there is no need to worry about TPK.

That said, I like rolling stats and higher arrays for the 'fun' reasons already mentioned.

@Kamishiro_Rin I'll make Aelysûne be mistaken about you being a Half Elf...I thought I was crazy for a second, but then I looked back at your character sheet history, and it definitely said you were a Half Elf at the time I submitted my entry into The Hall of Echoed Wisdom.

17 hours ago, ArtamenaV said:

@Kamishiro_Rin I'll make Aelysûne be mistaken about you being a Half Elf...I thought I was crazy for a second, but then I looked back at your character sheet history, and it definitely said you were a Half Elf at the time I submitted my entry into The Hall of Echoed Wisdom.

OH! Now that you mention it, that is my bad! I copied a posting template from a half-elf character of mine and only noticed after I'd posted that I'd failed to fix it to what she is! But yes, she's a full-blooded drow.