Taborlin Soothsong, Tamesheq Paladin, Oath of the Watchers

scootloops

PC

Taborlin Soothsong Human (Variant) Paladin 5image.png.c7d97a631e3df7e266f95b2856292cf3.png
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 19 (splint and shield) | HP: 44/44 | Initiative: +1 | Passive Perception: 12 
Spell Slots: 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +7 | Spell DC: 15
Lay on Hands: 25/25 | Divine Sense: 2/2 | DM Inspiration: 0/1
Sanaa (mount): Summoned, Nearby | HP: 19/19 | AC: 11 |

Post goes here.

"Speech"

thoughts in italics

Mechanics

Main Hand: -
Off Hand: -

Proficiencies: +6 Athletics, Deception | +2 Insight, Medicine, Deception | Viol
Languages: Common, Tamesheq (Southlands dialect), Draconic

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -
Possible Reaction: AOO if possible. Shield ally if possible

Mount: Sanaa

Proficiencies: +2 bonus | 11 Passive Perception
Weight capacity: 540 lb | +170 (Tabs weight)+Carried Weight (Items) when mounted

Edited by scootloops
adding details (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

CHARACTER THREAD TEMPLATE

Taborlin Soothsong

Tamesheq Exile

image.png.c7d97a631e3df7e266f95b2856292cf3.png

PALADIN 5

Medium humanoid female (Variant Human), lawful neutral

Armor Class 19 (Splint, Shield)

Hit Points 34 ( Max+average; 10+24 )
Speed 30' ft.

Senses Blindsight 10ft (Blindfighting)

Languages Common, Draconic/Marhoti, Nurian/Southlands/TamesheqMean to represent her homeland language. Given as a bonus from Far Traveler

Proficiency Bonus +3

ABILITIES & SKILLS
Proficiency Bonus: +3

Strength 16 (+3)
Save +3 
Athletics +6

Dexterity 12 (+1) 
Save +1 
Acrobatics +1 | Sleight of Hand +1 | Stealth +1 (Disadvantage with Armor)

Constitution 14 (+2)
Save +2 
No skills associated.

Intelligence 10 (+0)
Save +0 
Arcana +0 | History +0 | Investigation +0 | Nature +0 | Religion +0

Wisdom 8 (-1)
Save +2 
Animal Handling -1 | Insight +2 | Medicine +2Perception +2 | Survival -1

Charisma 16 (+3) 
Save +6 
Deception +6 | Intimidation +3 | Performance +3 | Persuasion +3

Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools none 
  • Instruments Viols 
  • Weapons All 
  • Armors All armor and shields

PALADIN CLASS ABILITIES

Divine Sense (4/day)As an action, you can detect good and evil. Until the end of your next turn, you can sense anything affected by the hallow spell or know the location of any celestial, fiend, undead within 60 ft. that is not behind total cover. You can use this feature 4 times per long rest. | Lay On Hands (25pt pool)You have a pool of healing power that can restore 25 HP per long rest. As an action, you can touch a creature to restore any number of HP remaining in the pool, or 5 HP to either cure a disease or neutralize a poison affecting the creature. | Fighting Style (Blindfight)You have blindsight with a range of 10 ft.
(TCoE)
| Divine Smite (2d8 Radiant)When you hit with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal 2d8 extra radiant damage to the target plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st (max 5d8) and plus 1d8 against undead or fiends (max 6d8 total). | Divine HealthYou are Immune to Disease
(PHB)
| Extra AttackYou can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
(PHB)

SACRED OATH
Oath of the WatchersThe Oath of the Watchers binds paladins to protect mortal realms from the predations of extraplanar creatures, many of which can lay waste to mortal soldiers. Thus, the Watchers hone their minds, spirits, and bodies to be the ultimate weapons against such threats.

Paladins who follow the Watchers’ oath are ever vigilant in spotting the influence of extraplanar forces, often establishing a network of spies and informants to gather information on suspected cults. To a Watcher, keeping a healthy suspicion and awareness about one’s surroundings is as natural as wearing armor in battle.

TENETS OF THE WATCHERS

A paladin who assumes the Oath of the Watchers swears to safeguard mortal realms from otherworldly threats.

Vigilance. The threats you face are cunning, powerful, and subversive. Be ever alert for their corruption.

Loyalty. Never accept gifts or favors from fiends or those who truck with them. Stay true to your order, your comrades, and your duty.

Discipline. You are the shield against the endless terrors that lie beyond the stars. Your blade must be forever sharp and your mind keen to survive what lies beyond.
| Channel Divinity (2/day)You gain the following Channel Divinity options.

Channel Divinity: Watcher’s Will: 1 Action
Channel Divinity: Abjure the Extraplanar: 1 Action

Amulet of Devotion: Extra use of channel divinity, accounted for in title
| Oath SpellsYou gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed in the Oath of the Watchers Spells table. See the Sacred Oath class feature for how oath spells work.

Oath of the Watchers Spells
P Level | Spells
3rd | alarm, detect magic
5th | moonbeam, see invisibility
9th | counterspell, nondetection
13th | aura of purity, banishment
17th | hold monster, scrying
|

RACIAL TRAITS (Variant Human)
LanguagesNoted above;

Common
Draconic
Nurian/Southlands/Tamesheq
| Ability Score IncreaseVariant Human
+1 STR
+1 CHA
| Skill (Deception) | FeatMagic Initiate (Druid)

FEATS

Magic Initiate (Druidic)You learn two cantrips of your choice from the druid spell list. You learn one 1st-level spell from that same list and can cast it at its lowest level once per long rest.

Mold Earth(Cantrip)

Shape Water(Cantrip)

Jump(1st) 1/Long Rest

WEAPONS

WEAPONS

• Spear +6 to hit for 1d6+3 Piercing | Simple, Versatile (1d8), Thrown, (20/60)
  • Whip +6 to hit for 1d4+3 Slashing | Martial, Finesse, Reach
  • Javelin (5) +6 to hit for (1d6+3) piercing damage. | Simple, thrown (30/120)

SPELLS

SPELL SLOTS 4/4 (1st), 2/2 (2nd)

• Paladin - Spell Save DC: 15 | Spell Attack Mod: +7 | Spells Prepared: 9 (Paladin) + 3 (Magic Initiate Feat)

CANTRIPS

Mold Earth** | Shape Water**

FIRST LEVEL

Alarm | Bless (C) | Detect Magic (C)| Jump** | Purify Food and Drink | Shield of Faith (B)(C) | Thunderous Smite (B)(C)

SECOND LEVEL

Bless (C) | Lesser Restoration | Moonbeam (C) | See Invisibility

* Denotes a Midgard spell. / (C) Denotes concentration. / (R) Denotes reaction spell. / (B) Denotes bonus action spell. / ** Denotes Druid Spell

Known Spells These spells are not available unless they have been prepared ahead of time. (Unless they are a ritual.)

FIRST LEVEL

* Denotes a Midgard spell. / (C) Denotes concentration. / (R) Denotes reaction spell. / (B) Denotes bonus action spell.

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (135.3)

• Weight: 163 / 240 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH (2.3 lbs.)

Copper: 98 | Silver: 0 | Gold: 17 | Obsidian: 0 | Platinum: 0

(115 Coins x .02 lbs. = 2.78 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPEMENT READIED (21 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

• Armor (70 lbs.) Traveler's Clothes - 4 lb. | Splint Mail - 60 lb. | Shield - 6 lb.
  • Weapons (6 lbs.) Spear - 3 lb. | Whip 3 lb.
  • Readied Items (0 lbs.) Amulet of the Devout - (--) | Pole of Collapsing - (--) | Holy Symbol (Tattoo on shoulder) |

EQUIPMENT STORED ON TABORLIN

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

• In Backpack (33 lbs.) Backpack - 5 lbs. | (2) Bag ball bearings - 4 lb. | (2) Bag caltrops - 4 lb. | | (10) Candle - (--) | (10) Chalk (--)
    | Manacles - 6 lb. | (4) Rations - 8 lb. | String (10ft) (--) | (5) Torch - 5 lb. | Whetstone - 1lb |
  • Strapped to Backpack (21 lbs.) | Grappling Hook - 4 lb. | Silk Rope - 5 lb. | crowbar - 5lb. | pole of collapsing - (--) | Bedroll and Blanket 10 lb.
  • In Component Pouch (2 lb) | Bell (--) | (10) grasshopper leg (--) | Holy Water (flask) - 1 lb. | (5) Moonseeds (--) | Opalescent Feldspar (--) | (10) Parchment | Powdered Silver (1gp) (--) | Talc (--) |

EQUIPMENT CARRIED ON SANAA (MOUNT) (186/540 lb.)

Can be retrieved with an action if Sanaa (Mount) is within reach. If Sanaa 'dies', the items fall to the ground unharmed.

• Packed with SanaaSanaa appears as a giant hyena, and uses the warhorse statblock. Sanaa follows the rules for Find Steed under the paladin spell list and has the Fey type, and an INT of 6 instead of 2. Sanaa is always summoned. | (20) Waterskins - 100 lb. | (20) Rations - 40 lb. | Lance | Viol 1 lb. | Book Bag (6 lb.) | Kit Pouch (6 lb.) | (5) Javelins - 10 lb. | (5) Javelin - 10 | Saddle, pack - 15 lb |
  • In Book Bag (6 lb.) | Ink (--) | Ink Pen (--) | Travel Journal (book) - 5 lb. | Book Bag (pouch) 1 lb.
  • In Kit Pouch (6 lb.) | Healer's Kit (10/10) - 3 lb. | Mess Kit - 1 lb. | Tinderbox - 1 lb. | Kit Pouch (pouch) 1 lb.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

* Denotes magic item (see below)

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

ATTUNED (1/3)

+1 Amulet of the Devout | 

APPEARANCE

Age 26 | Height 5' 7" | Weight 170 lbs. | Hair Dark Brown| Eyes Hazel | Complexion Dark

Timage.png.4c814b97a5943a6a385e286a4a5260f8.pngaborlin stands at 5'7", has a mass of thick curly black hair with a shock of gold on one of her bangs, kept loose and wild like a lion's mane, but not dirty or greasy. She often wears a maroon headband to match her cloak and sash, which contrast nicely with a loose black tunic, trousers, and boots. Taborlin has bright brown eyes that almost look like they're on fire, many piercings on each ear, and a small gold stud in her left nostril. Their sash covers a studded belt that holds a whip, a small travel pouch, and a few small vials of whatever necessary concoction she needs at the time. Across her back they carry a simple spear adorned with a few bead-covered leather straps, and a small round shield made of metals.

BACKGROUND

FAR TRAVELER
Source
 Core

Personality Traits:

• I honor my deities through practices that are foreign to this land.
    Taborlin grabs a hot coal from the cookfire each night, and rubs it across her tattoo to appease her gods. The symbols representing Volund turn red hot, while the symbols representing Horus fade into a dark, ash-colored mass. They remain so until she pours water on them, in which case Volunds symbols steam and cool to black, and Horus’ symbols reform from the ash-colored mass.If she knows she cannot wash the tattoo, she only rubs cool ash instead to symbolically represent the ritual.

• I begin or end my day with small traditional rituals that are unfamiliar to those around me.
    Taborlin drinks the minimal amount of water she needs to survive and function. In the morning with her first cup, she pours out ¼ of her cup, on a nearby plant if applicable, but straight to the earth otherwise. There is a small chant she utters when doing this, essentially asking nature to take this gift of water and send a message of safety back to her home.

• I have a strong code of honor or sense of propriety that others don’t comprehend.
    Water is an important resource to the nomadic nature of her people, and any kind of blatant waste of it (rituals obviously excluded), especially while traveling, causes her hairs to stand on end. She has lived in Friula long enough to suppress the instinct to chide those who have no respect for water, mostly.

• Superstitious wariness about the sight of locusts or grasshoppers. To her they are a dark portent of a coming plague.

• Taborlin will stargaze if given the chance. Though not an adept navigator, the Tamesheq made great use of star charts and the tradition runs strong in all of them to admire the night sky.

Race Relations:

• She has worked with gnolls, minotaurs, and centaurs as hired help for the Tamesheq caravans, and as such has a decent opinion of them.

• She has had little contact with northlands races, and is extremely wary of them. The stories she has heard aren’t exactly flattering.

• Dhampir, ratfolk, dragonborn, trolls, and goblins are not to be trusted.

• Though Kobolds are sort of dragonkin, she’s had more exposure to non-threatening ones and is learning to like them more and more.

• Gearforged are interesting, but considered too delicate to really do anything. She has met very few, and never on a deep level or in any sort of physical contest or display.

• Anyone others she has no opinion of.

Ideals:

• Inquisitive. Everything is new, but I have a thirst to learn.
    Though she isn’t the most intellectually sharp, Taborlin does love to learn about the places she is traveling, partially for strategy, partially for her own enjoyment. If there is a codex, book, scroll, any kind of readable media she can acquire, especially surrounding healing malignant magical maladies, she will do so. 

Bonds:

• The gods of my people are a comfort to me so far from home.
    Horus and the rest of the southlands pantheon serve as a reminder of the bond she shares with her home, and often says a small prayer to each of them. Volund specifically serves as a reminder of her exile and devotion to her daughter, since Volund is a newly acquired deity.

• So long as I have this token from my homeland, I can face any adversity in this strange land.
    Taborlin still wears the wedding band from her first marriage, though she had it resized to fit her left thumb. It reminds her of when her familial bonds at home were strong, and to remember the times that were good. Anyone who tries to steal it will be met with cold steel, and she will hunt down any successful thieves.

• Though I had no choice, I lament having to leave my loved one(s) behind. I hope to see them again one day.
    See backstory.

Flaws:

• I am secretly (or not so secretly) convinced of the superiority of my own culture over that of this foreign land.
    Taborlin is a frequent judge of martial skills, and is utterly convinced that her home nation’s fighting style is far superior to most others.

• I have a weakness for the new intoxicants and other pleasures of this land.
    During her time working with the Friula city watch and other mercenaries, she has acquired a taste for a light stimulant that allows for a sharpening of perception on long watches. I don’t think this needs a mechanical effects, but we can work something out if you’d like. More for flavor.
    She smokes tobacco from a small wooden pipe in the evenings as a way to wind down if she can.

• I am bullheaded hardly admit wrongdoing
    Taborlin can be very defensive and will find a way to save her own pride when she’s done something wrong, usually by not admitting it or deflecting to another person. She may or may not apologize for it the next morning, depends on how she feels about the person she was arguing with and the context of the situation.

Background Feature: All Eyes On You

BACKSTORY

As the southlands coastline slowly sank into the distance, Zahara breathed a final sigh of relief. Though she knew she wasn’t free of her past, she would at least be able to get a new start. Her people never really came this far north, and with luck she had caused them to believe she and her daughter were dead anyway. Burned to ash in a tenement fire, with her daughter's signet ring left in the ash as proof. She thanked the gods that calling upon the dead was frowned upon in Tamesheq society. The merchant schooner rocked lazily under the late morning sun as it was pulled north. The small crew stalked the top deck as they adjusted the sails to the changing winds. Zahara could hear their muffled chatter through the floorboards. The crates, barrels, and chests creaked and shifted with the slow rocking, and Phaedre, her young daughter, began to drift off into sleep.

“Not much longer, love…we’ll be safe in Friula.” she whispered to Phaedre. Zahara reached out a hand and lightly touched the scales on her daughter’s face. Phaedre had no understanding of her own condition. The little girl was hardly a year old at this point. “Friula has incredible libraries, my little star. Tomes and records of everything known in the world. You will grow not wanting for knowledge, I’m sure of it. And with the direction of the gods, we’ll find a way to get rid of this horrid curse put upon you.”

Phaedre cooed quietly and pressed her face into Zahara’s chest while searching with her little hands for something to grasp. Zahara offered a hand and Phaedre wrapped her fingers around as much of it as she could. Zahara felt the dark dragon-like scales that covered a few of the infant's fingers press into her skin. Cold and smooth juxtaposed with a soft warmth. To her people, Phaedre was a monster that needed to be purged. They saw the child as proof of a twisted union between dragonkin and human, and 'proof' to her enemies at the court that Zahara had not been loyal to her husband, Tariq. An accusation that held some truth, but there was no dragonkin involved.

Her heart ached most when when she dwelled on her husband. When Phaedre was born, Tariq’s face twisted in disappointment, and then a deep sadness. It was like watching a flame sputter and die to a sudden crosswind. Tariq stood up and spoke quietly to the midwife, handing the child to her. She bowed, nothing unusual, and approached Zahara. In her postpartum daze, she didn’t notice Tariq leave the room, her only focus was on her child. As the midwife approached, Zahara finally saw what her husband had reacted to. Patches of sandy scales were easily apparent against the otherwise dark skin. She didn’t know what that meant,and she decided not to follow that thread. She only wanted to love her, and she was sure that despite it all, her family and husband would know what to do, and everything would be fine. She held Phaedre close, resting the infant against her bare chest.

She looked down at her daughter, now fast asleep in her arms making little baby snores, and softly began to cry.

Edited by scootloops (see edit history)

On 4/12/2024 at 3:50 PM, bwatford said:

Looks good so far, just let me know when she is finished so I can tuck her away as completed.

@bwatford Ready for a final look over. The only detail left is sorting out some of the weight distribution. Since Taborlin has access to Sanaa as a mount, Sanaa carries most things if she is around.

2 hours ago, scootloops said:

@bwatford Ready for a final look over. The only detail left is sorting out some of the weight distribution. Since Taborlin has access to Sanaa as a mount, Sanaa carries most things if she is around.

Thanks for the application, I have marked her as completed.

Good luck in final selection.