Edit History

tuxagon

tuxagon

I agree that the original gives the dated impression to the website, but I believe that is entirely because there is a background texture present. Repeated background textures immediately make any website appear very dated unless the website is going for a modern brutalist look (which I very much do not recommend).

To test that hypothesis, I simply replaced the background image with solid colors and I think it immediately gives it a cleaner and more modern look than all 3 options above. The lines separating the items could be colored with the red or given a lighter gray, but their presence gives the theme a much nicer and more accessible separation between threads. I agree with @Neopopulas that it's not distinct enough between entries without the lines.

image.png.b33454318e298d6c876c60ed372a2ae2.png

Option #3 sadly looks more dated than #1 to me. I've been sitting here trying to figure out what about it doesn't sit well with me in a way that is constructive and not just, "I don't like it." I really like the solid color background and I think the color choice of that gray is a really good background color for a different theme. The header color doesn't feel right, though.

With that said, I think these are the primary issues I have with #3

1. The centered header does not feel quite right for the design
  2. The narrow spacer between the header and body feels a bit out of place
  3. It's weird to me to visually see more space between the bullets and the thread information than there is between the threads themselves
  4. The colors don't go together very well, but I think that could be due to the gradient used on the headers

I think #3 has promise if tweaked a bit more.

Option #2 seems like the worst of both, personally.

I hope that was taken as helpful and constructive rather than just complaining.

tuxagon

tuxagon

I agree that the original gives the dated impression to the website, but I believe that is entirely because there is a background texture present. Repeated background textures immediately make any website appear very dated unless the website is going for a modern brutalist look (which I very much do not recommend).

To test that hypothesis, I simply replaced the background image with solid colors and I think it immediately gives it a cleaner and more modern look than all 3 options above. The lines separating the items could be colored with the red or given a lighter gray, but their presence gives the theme a much nicer and more accessible separation between threads. I agree with @Neopopulas that it's not distinct enough between entries without the lines.

image.png.b33454318e298d6c876c60ed372a2ae2.png

Option #3 sadly looks more dated to me than #1 to me. I've been sitting here trying to figure out what about it doesn't sit well with me in a way that is constructive and not just, "I don't like it." I really like the solid color background and I think the color choice of that gray is a really good background color for a different theme. The header color doesn't feel right, though.

With that said, I think these are the primary issues I have with #3

1. The centered header does not feel quite right for the design
  2. The narrow spacer between the header and body feels a bit out of place
  3. It's weird to me to visually see more space between the bullets and the thread information than there is between the threads themselves

I think #3 has promise if tweaked a bit more.

Option #2 seems like the worst of both, personally.

I hope that was taken as helpful and constructive rather than just complaining.