Autumn Adventure

desertfox

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 3 1

"Ahhhhhhh! In the name of Apollo!" Coroebus bellows as he charges his chariot towards the giant turtle, reins in one hand and sword in the other.

Edited by Sir Lazeabout (see edit history)
Name
Driving
4; 2
explode(1d6,6);explode(1d6,6) [4]; [4,2]
Fighting
1; 10
explode(1d6,8);explode(1d6,6) [1]; [1,6,4]
Driving (Favour reroll)
4; 2
explode(1d6,6);explode(1d6,6) [4]; [4,2]
Driving (Favour reroll)
3; 10
explode(1d6,6);explode(1d6,6) [3]; [3,6,4]
Damage
explode(3d6,6) 6,3,3,3

The chariot, fast as sound, passes with its warrior. The blade flashes. A fountain of flood gushes from the monster's punctured shell. For a moment it seems the wound has gone unnoticed by the reptile. But then the beast rears and vanishes with a rush of air that shakes the doors of the nearby huts.

On the street to the agora people are shouting, "Zorus, Zorus, Son of Hercules!"

But on the waterfront they chant, "Coroebus, athlete blessed by flying Hermes!"

OOC

The pair have won such acclaim that they can effortlessly attract volunteers for their mission. The use of a fast trade ship, the Priene, will also be donated freely by its grateful captain if requested.

Remembering that their mission must remain secret from Priene's enemies, they can choose up to a dozen Prienauts from the following expendable citizens :

• Coroebus' drinking pals (up to 6). All are accomplished athletes, archers and fighters (d8/ d6/ d8 in these skills). But at least one or two bear jealous thoughts against C. Any not taken might bear a grudge as spurned.
  • Sailors (up to 20). Grateful for the heroes' feats on the quay and skilful (d8) with sail-- though less able (d4 fighting) on land.
  • Veterans (up to 6). Leather shields, spears, slings. Older fighters now ineligible for military service. Itch for battle. d8 fighting but more easily (d6 STA) tired/hurt.
  • Automachus, the city's philosopher historian. Wordy and useless in a fight, but with some occult and historical knowledge.
  • Eritha the dancer, scaled right back to extra build but with strong dance and stealth skills.
  • Teleopsis, an old hunter and hide-seller. Grateful his daughter was freed by Zorus. Lame, deaf, but able to track well.

1. Let me know your preferred composition, e.g. Automachus, Coroebus' best pal, 5 sailors, 5 vets.

2. Maybe come up with a cover for the expedition.

Pace 6, Parry 7 (1), Toughness 7 (1), Favour 1

"Ah, thank you, thank you!" Coroebus bows modestly in every direction. "Thank you, thank you, oh, stop, I am only very nearly as unbelievably awesome as I seem!"

OOC

Hmm... I suggest we take all six drinking buddies, all three experts, and three sailors.

Edited by Sir Lazeabout (see edit history)

image.jpeg.e8831a97289eb3453ae63c49866162b9.jpegZorus

Zorus takes a moment to revel in the cheering crowd, standing on a pile of rubble. "Congratulations, Coroebus! Well struck!" He shouted to is companion. His arrogance could at times be insufferable but his competency and athleticism could hardly be questioned.

OOC

Zorus doesn't have strong feelings about the companions and will go with Coroebus' suggestion

Quick Stats

Parry: 6

Toughness: 10 (3)

Favor: 3

Full Stats

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d4, Spirit d4, Strength d10, Vigor d8
Skills: Academics d4, Athletics d8, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d8, Intimidation d4, Language ( Koine) d8, Notice d4, Performance d4, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Riding d4, Stealth d6, Survival d4
Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 10 (3)
Hindrances: Overconfident, Stubborn, Vengeful (minor) (1 Edge, 1 Attribute)
Edges: Legendary Hide (custom), Brawny (custom) Rock Slayer
Weapons: Spiked Great Club, 6 javelins, wineskin, 5 days rations, sack
Language: Koine (native, d8) Lydian (d?)
Current Wealth: 44ah

The oarsmen's blades ply the soft waves. Coroebus's companions bend well to the task, while the sailors fuss at the sail and cables. Eritha crouches uncomfortably in the benches and tuts.

"Half of Priene speculate about our purpose. A cover tale might have befuddled the spies. Or not, perhaps they report everything to Miletus anyway. By their power of telepathos. "

As if to confirm her fears, a distant boat appears, shadowing the warship. Miletus' own warship, or a trade ship spying for her.

OOC

The crew defer naturally to Zorus concerning the approach to Hybanda. Zorus make a boating roll to keep the ship on course and identify safe landing places.

Both make a notice roll for the same purpose.

I'll assume--unless you say otherwise--that the crew are now briefed concerning the destination and general purpose of the voyage.

Posted (edited)

Coroebus assesses Hybanda. Just ten stadia in length, eight across, he estimates. A low rocky hill rises from its centre, carpeted with olive trees and wild cypress. On its top, the white walls of a stone building gleam in the sun. Coroebus sees few opportunities for safe landing except for a sandy beach on its south shore, below the hilltop.

Show this

This is what is left of Hybanda today. The marshy land used to be sea. I figure the temple stands where the post is in the pic. There are more trees at the time of your visit.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Helmut-Brueckner/publication/312223339/figure/fig10/AS:668591397564428@1536416019738/The-former-island-of-Asteria-Mezar-Tepe-seen-from-the-southeast-According-to-a.jpg

"Look, Archon," says a sailor. "Armed folk in the trees above the beach--see that flash!"

"I am Dion, the captain of the Priene, our ship. I give way to the Archons in all things, but I advise this. Let us ground our ship short of the beach, in those shallows. Then lie low, with the hull as our wall against arrows. They will waste their spindles, or need splash into the waves to get us." 

" Yourself, Coroebus can swim ashore there with a few hand-picked Myrmidons. While we pass those rocks, under their cover. And make your way through the trees to the temple while these fools think that they hold us off on the beach.  Zorus must stay aboard with us, unmistakable as he is, to maintain the ruse. And he is a seaman of sorts. " 

OOC

1. C can suggest an alternative to the plan, or refine it.

2. You know who's aboard (let's go with your selection). Who do you pick as your landing team? All will need to make a swim (athletics) roll to swim ashore. Most are at d6 or d8 to swim, except the philosopher. They can only carry very light arms, swords and daggers. Dion will advise less than six to keep the landing ruse viable.

3. If you go ahead make your own athletics roll to lead the swimmers ashore.

Edited by desertfox (see edit history)