Nico, the Nascent Rapscallion, Catfolk Rogue

Nico, the Nascent Rapscallion (MW Sheet ver.)image.png.dd05abec343b44b6570ecbde113c84ae.pngRogue 1

CN Medium Catfolk, Hunting Catfolk, Humanoid

Perception +4; Low-Light Vision
Languages Common, Amurrun
Skills
Acrobatics +7, Athletics +4, Deception +5, Diplomacy +5, Intimidation +5, Lore: Port Torvin +3, Nature +2, Society +3, Stealth +7, Survival +2, Thievery +7
Str +1 | Dex +4 | Con +3 | Int +0 | Wis -1 | Cha +2
Items Leather, Backpack, Bedroll, Chalk (10), Flint and Steel, Rope, Rations (3), Torch (5), Waterskin, Soap, Climbing Kit, Thieves' Tools, Mirror

AC 18; Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +4
HP 19
Nimble Dodge image.png.736dd0873242f4703c6cdb1a16d69d37.png Requirements You are not encumbered. Trigger A creature targets you with an attack and you can see the attacker. You deftly dodge out of the way, gaining a +2 circumstance bonus to AC against the triggering attack.

Speed 25 feet
Melee Hatchet +4 (Agile, Sweep, Thrown 10 ft.), Damage 1d6+1 S
Ranged Crossbow +7 (Crossbow), Damage 1d8 P
Cat's Luck image.png.a037a8fe4526b2ed002290ac3cf5769b.png (Catfolk, Fortune) Frequency once per day Trigger You fail a Reflex saving throw. You instinctively twist away from danger. You can reroll the triggering saving throw and use the better result.
Precision Damage Sneak Attack 1d6
Additional Feats Cat Fall, Catfolk Weapon Familiarity, Hunting Catfolk, Pickpocket
Additional Specials Imprecise Scent, Land on Your Feet, Rogue's Racket (Thief Racket), Sneak Attack, Surprise Attack

Edicts:

• Never forget where you came from. - Growing up destitute was hard and he will never forget those he went through that with, young and old.
  • Give to those in need and they'll give back. - We look out for those who help us they will reward you in kind. It's the most core tenant of the whisper networks. This is law to Nico.
  • Always double check your work. - Never let a trap or plan go off half cocked!

Anthema:

• Quick to switch to a different tactic if it doesn't work. - Being young means he has a short attention span and little patience if something doesn't go his way the first time.
  • Distrusting of those in power and with what he perceives as too much money. - It isn't simply that wealth isn't meant to be hoarded. Nico firmly believes this is a personality issue with those that hold all the wealth in the world.
  • Short fuse when he feels him or someone he cares for has been wronged. - Nico hates being treated with disrespect, but hates it even more when you harm or mistreat one of his people.
Edited by Spacesong
Added Edicts and Anthema! Right to the character sheet cuz I want them to change and evolve like the rest of it the sheet! Yay! Changed weapon to Hatchet (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
Personality

Nico has a warm, welcoming demeanor. He likes approaching people, being curious and learning about them and hopes to connect with all kind willed folk he can. There can be an understated shyness when he meets some people, though. That typically happens when he feels he's stepping out of a comfort zone. All that said, he can still be quite strong willed. When his mind is set, it's set and hard to change. Typically the things that get Nico to knuckle down is looking out for his crew and looking out for the common folk in his community. This isn't to say he can't be gotten through to as self preservation and willingness to comply with what ever his crew thinks is best wins out over what he wants in the end. Being a thief is not a selfish game, as many may assume. There's a give and take and Nico's been trained by the best to be giving.

His emotions are easy to read as with most catfolk. He purrs when he's happy and cozy, he hisses when startled or overwhelmed, and he growls when anger or desperation wells up inside him. This is not meant to be taken impolitely, though. It's a stimuli response and cannot be helped! Some find this abrasive, others find it charming. (usually the kind of people who like cats already in the first place!)

Appearance

As far as catfolk go, Nico has a standard short hair cat appearance. Orange tabby style fur, dark accents at the edges of his eyes and top of his head. Something of a W shape in the dark patches that make up the fur pattern on his head Smack in the middle of his late adolescence and close to becoming a full adult, there's still an air of preciousness that hangs over him. His eyes are wide and innocent, an orange-brown huge to the irises, and an expressive black cat pupil that he knows how to be manipulative with. They have a pure glean to them, but can shift to a mischievous sparkle at a moments notice. All this and of course a long, expressive cat tail to match.

He wears a light leather outfit and tries to have small pouches dedicated to various tools of the trade. A thieves hit hangs off his belt on the left, a water skin lazily hanging on his back right hip, not to mention a pouch on his leg of a curious size where he keeps a mirror and a drawstring bag of chalk.

His armor has a hood on it that he tends to keep up but will pull down when he's trying to blend in more casually. Whenever the moment arrises he has something of a standard adventures pack with a few lil' modifications to accommodate a climbers kit he keeps handy. You know, in case he needs to scale a sheer wall! He can't do it all with just his claws and beans!

Background:

A rough upbringing can leave a lot of peoples spirits downtrodden, but not for Nico. The ever curious and upbeat catfolk has never let the circumstances of his upbringing keep him down or away from something he wanted. Growing up in the docks of Port Torvin made acquiring things he wanted quite easy, in fact. Lucky for most the boats coming and going, all he ever wanted for was just enough to survive. He would get caught, sure. Almost every urchin trawling the markets and docks for fresh fish, fruit or other exported goods and wares they could lift easily would draw the ire of someone eventually. Nico was fortunate to have a knack for being able to talk his way out of things. And if he couldn't talk his way out? He had other, perhaps smoother methods of getting out or deescalating a situation. Being a cute catfolk kitten could get him places you'd not expect. Worse comes to worse, though, the other port thieves had a way of looking out for their own.

It's often said there's no honor among thieves. While that does ring true, there was a togetherness between the poorer members of Port Torvin's community. You see one of the others you huddle up next to in the evenings around the fire getting harassed by some local tough or guard? You toss a rock that way to buy them a moment to escape. You hear something about someone being on the lookout for one of your mates? You'd try to get word around to them immediately.

A little bit of natural talent and a lot of interpersonal relationships and connections around the city kept Nico's life an adventure in those golden days. But more importantly, those skills kept him safe and surviving alongside a community. Skills both practical and social that would then be expanded on and refined greatly after meeting Master Cullen.

Nico doesn't really know what it's like to have parents, but the closest thing he can figure to a mother would be her. He met Master Cullen many moons ago during a seasonal monsoon. He was huddled up wet, starving, afraid and left to fend for himself in the alleyways of the port town when he first saw her. A lone human wandering the storm in the evening. A curious sight to attract a curious mind! He tailed her through the city and eventually to the outskirts to where she had a hideout. Cullen had a safe house of sorts she could lay low from the heat she was clearly avoiding. Nico picked that moment to finally make his presence known by rushing into the hideout as soon as she opened the door. Immediately charmed by the young, pitiful catfolk's face and impressed that he not only could follow her without her ever noticing, but somehow avoid the guards notice too, she allowed him to stick around until the conditions outside improved.

Early on in his time with Master Cullen she decided to introduce Nico to profession of thievery. He learned all sorts of things from Master Cullen. Lock picking, sharp shooting, tailing marks, how to booby trap a hide out so little catlings don't dash into your door way, (He didn't take this one too personally. Afterall, trap making is an art as much as it is a skill!) and of course how to defend himself if all bets were off and a fight was unavoidable. He learned how to channel his brash youthful silliness into a cool roguish bravado that he could use to silver tongue his way out of any situation.

She opened him up to a whole world and network of people. Even just in Port Haven he was amazed to find people he knew of or had interacted with before were all part of something larger than he ever thought possible. Some of these people were ones he knew and had seen around the docks and town before, but had no idea they were part of something larger. Each a small piece of a wider underground network all exchanging information. A place where secrets and knowledge were currency, and the ability to do jobs others would shy away from - championed!

The young catfolk could hardly believe he graduated from lifting fish to survive another day to helping Master Cullen and her large network of thieves, retainers and fences steal, cheat and manipulate valuable belongings or redistributing ill gotten monetary gain from various greedy tax collectors and nobles of the Azure Sea region. Nico learned many different things in those travels even if his roll in most of them was something akin to what a page or squire. Doffing gear, fetching supplies or meals, polishing the boots of those teaching him. What made it all remarkable, though, he never felt looked down upon by Cullen or her immediate network. He felt welcomed.

Nico is no fool and understands not everyone within his little subterranean world have a heart of gold as pure or incandescent as that of Master Cullen's, or any of his friends and contacts he's made along the way on his journey. He tries to not get too mixed in with the shadier aspects of the profession like political assassination or the too common pitfall of becoming part of the cultic worship of lesser deities. This is a dangerous business. One he's still a bit unsure of having seen the things it can do to a person. Not everyone he met in these last years as an assistant to Master Cullen made it out. Not so much dying, but falling victim to the grimmer aspects of the profession.

Now that Nico has come of age it's time for him to set out and make a name for himself in the world, and Master Cullen has let him loose. She's set him up with things he needed, the low tech solutions for any thief and rogue worth their weight in gold would carry on them and gave Nico one last major advice.

Find Nico needs to find himself a team. The profession can always wait. Cut your teeth and build your safety funds before wading into the dangerous stuff on his own. This would all be something Cullen had purposely left open to him to figure out as she trusts and believes in him to make his own way in the world.

With the wind to his back, a support network he knows how to access at a moments notice and all the confidence in the world Nico is ready to carve his own path in this world and try to give back to those who have looked out for him over his years.

Edited by Spacesong
Updated with Personality and Apperance. Punched up some of the background, mostly the same. And formatting! (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

1. What is your experience with Pathfinder 2e?

I have little to no experience. I've built several characters, one of which got accepted into 1 PF2e game here on the Weave that fell apart before the first RP post went up. (heartbreaking!) I've been working on a Pathfinder adventure I plan to run with friends. I'm converting the first 4e D&D adventure I ever ran for them just for a little nostalgic trip down memory lane. I think it'd be neat to run it for the folks I regularly play D&D with to see the origins of my TTRPG fandom while also learning to play a new non-D&D system. So I'm not unfamiliar with PF2e as far as mechanics and concepts go. I would say I am still learning it and have no practice actually applying this knowledge to play. But I'm really hoping I get the chance to here!

2. What is your experience with PbP?

I will say this about what brought me to MythWeavers in the first place, though. I came here to play Pathfinder 2e specifically and have had trouble either narrowly missing out on joining other 2e games or getting passed over for other players. This is all fine! It's the way she goes... But I'm hoping my enthusiasm and excitement to engage with PF2e and whatever GMs wanna do as far as collaborative story telling wise comes through in my character and introductory posts here. (that lore post is forth coming and will be done before the deadline! promise!)

I think I've adjusted to the community and culture here quite well and am really finding myself enjoying my time here! I haven't done any Play By Post style forum posting ever so it's all new to me and I'm learning on the fly. Which is to say -- I will probably make mistakes and fumble with the dice roller here and there! All I ask is patience. I'm not sure how to really discuss my "play" or "posting" style yet but I do tend to narrate quite a bit, do some internal voice for the character and make clear what my people are saying. I'll try to share examples if you would find that illuminating, but so far I've really enjoyed the experience of posting and being in those games!

3. What is your Role-playing Experience (overall, PbP and otherwise)? And, what makes a game "good"?

I'm not sure how many years I've been gaming. I could probably math it out, but eh! Math is for squares! 😜(disclaimer: math is not actually for squares) I've been playing since 4th Edition D&D but branched out to enjoy the vast variety of other options out there in the TTRPG world. Call of Cthulhu is a personal fav and was the 2nd game system I ever branched out into. I've been on both sides of the GM's screen throughout the years and love playing and running games. As a player I try to engage with others in the game as much as I can when it's natural. I'll do longer posts when establishing mood and scene when it's more RP centric and keep things brief when it's time to dungeon crawl or fight. Even in that though it I will embellish and write more when it makes sense to. Particularly tragic string of rolls that's potentially going to kill of a character? Melodrama mode engaged!

4. Please link me a couple examples of your Roleplaying here at the Weave (preferred). If no examples, be sure to post an "RP" in the open RP thread (when I get one up) I'd like to see a sample of your game-style writing.

I only recently joined MythWeavers at the start of the year and so far am in only 3 games. One's an Old School Essentials game about vikings that I'm enjoying a lot. The 2nd and 3rd came relatively back to back with me subbing in for someone that needed to drop out of a Call of Cthulhu game and a Mutant Crawl Classics game where we're currently in the funnel for and all 4 of my weird level 0 dorks are alive somehow alive still beyond all reason! That one may be a big confounding because we're all playing 4 different characters and keeping things brief because funnels are meant to PCs off quickly so the players end up with their "final/real" character at the end.

5. Tell me about a couple of your favorite characters you've actually played (in PBP or even in TT) and why you enjoyed those characters so much.

One of my favorite recent characters is a Dragonborn Paladin I played in an Eberron game of 5e. Ser Grud, the Pious. He was an adopted child with Githyanki parents who were high ranking members in the Church of the Silver Flame. He was a strong headed guy but sweet to his core and devout to the church. So much so he would draw the ire of bad actors within the upper organization that lead to him being put in something of an exile away from his home country of Thrane and on the road with his bard boyfriend. The over all game was mostly goofs, but we hit on some really emotionally resonant moments as a group. Big emotional appeals to try and keep the faith as things got more and more grim for the party as we pushed forward in the campaign and story.

I also remember very fondly one of my early Call of Cthulhu games where I played a gangster along with one of my good buddies. They were brothers and absolute mooks. We ended up being the muscle of the group and doing the unscrupulous things the stodgy professors and business owners that made up the other players were too afraid to do. Well we ended up in a scenario where we came face to face with the Baba Yaga. I succeeded my sanity check, brother (who was holding a sledge hammer) at the time lost his and immediately slammed the hammer into his poor beloved brothers skull. I think that may have been the first super memorable character death I had in a game. The surreal circumstances of it, the brotherly bond immediately cast out as poor guy went insane.

I guess the big idea with these two examples is I like having a character and letting the characters who are apart of and enter their life change them in some way and the ways those people stay with them.

6. Name (do not use the "mention" function) one or more players 'applying' for this game who you would like to be accepted.

Everyone has made a lot of great characters here. I love Boz, I love Liam, I love Maggie & Bubble and I wanna include them so bad. And TBH I would list things I like about all of them here. I feel very seen and appreciated I got mentions in so many of these little questionnaires. I hope I get to play with everyone here in other games. I feel bad cherry picking these 4, though. I don't have the heart to pick a 5th knowing our GM is aiming for 6. But here are the characters that stand out to me.

Kiptani (CyberSpark) because I love a lil' kobold buddy in a game and Kiptani's rough background there sounds like a fun character to have madcap goofs with in and out of the action. I didn't read everyone's full posts until today until I was picking these now and saw they were looking for some input on background. I DMed them some encouragement that they mentioned. I know nothing about Greyhawk either so said to just wing it like I have here, cuz I really love the character concept.

Enoch Hawkmoor (Zen Gypsy) I think it would be fun to have another thief-like character alongside Nico. We could even banter and have a fun time building onto our backstories because I can see how we could justify some overlap between "Nico learned on the streets" and "Enoch learned at an academy." Also Enoch's backstory intersects very nicely with challenging one of Nico's Anthema as he's never encountered a noble who's had everything and lost everything! Fancying himself as something of a folk hero in the making for those who are down on hardtimes, this would challenge Nico's perception of things, I think. Not to mention he's never faced something as dark and evil as the Cult of Vecna. (I am also a big Castlevania mark and this 100% informed my pick first and foremost and I've had to back myself into the other above reasoning to make it all work. lol)

Sean Peltrage (Trigun) for similar reasons as they have for wanting to play with me. I feel a bit robbed we didn't get to play in that other PF2e game and really like Sean's Thaumaturge background and want to see how he develops. The whole merchant backstory also feeds into Nico getting a chance to see the other side of a world his most familiarity with is stealing from. haha Learning how legitimate businesses work from a Thaumaturge would be good for him, I think.

Kilaim Flintaxe (omegoku) Kilaim being a dwarf as heck dwarf sounds great, so count me in! I also realize I've picked a lot of squishier and damage focused characters so it'd be good to have a bit of beef and what's more classic than a Dwarven fighter in Greyhawk?

PS: One last note -- my character is based on my cat Nacho and his "master" is my partner who was the one who ended up adopting him. She felt she had been chosen when he was a scared stray that jumped into her car seat before leaving our apartment one day demanding her attention and affection. We took him in, cleaned him up and showed him all the love, got him vetted and all that good stuff. So a little piece of our home is in Nico! Pic related -- it's Nacho GMing Mork Borg for my firends when I got up to use the RR. lol

image.png.2b12cc32f408abc6036cead0e0d12f19.png

Edited by Spacesong
Edited for formatting and adding the questions and rearranging things so it's clear what I'm replying to.. (see edit history)

On 4/16/2024 at 11:31 AM, TheDude2371 said:

I like Nico here... and Nacho! I'm surprised the screen is still in place!

Appreciated. Updated the 3rd post 1 last time. For anyone peeking into the thread -- best of luck, that last questions was so hard to answer. 😖

Don't mean to cross threads like this, but Nico and Boz seems particularly historically compatable. Want to go full Thieves Guild? Have Master Cullen be higher ranked in the guild?

Heck, have her full name be Ena Cullen and we can have the same mother-figure in both the backstories.

I was actually thinking similar once I saw Boz was in the game. 2 young upstarts. One with a few heists behind him, one gone bad recently. Then you have Nico this bright eyed friendly dimwit that hasn't personally had anything go sideways on him suddenly yet.

I kinda want Cullen to be her own character if that's ok. If only to have the underground thieves guild world feel bigger as a result. However -- Cullen and Ena should absolutely know one another! She'd definitely be privy to the plot at hand and Ena's plight.

Sorry, just realized I never responded to you outside of my head.

Alright, Ena and Cullen are different people. More experienced proper crooks passing lessons to the younger generation.

Feels like these two would know each other then, almost certainly have done jobs together. Possibly even grew up next to each other. If so, do kind of like the idea that Boz's rep in the guild says young but lucky- and a chunk of the secret behind Boz's luck is that Boz has an extra sense or two you normally only see in particularly dedicated magic users. Boz just naturally *sees* magic like it's just another color on the spectrum and Nico knows about it. Just a thought.

image.png.259c6526555a506fa29787e1678d686c.png

Nico, The Nascent Rapscallion Rogue 1

HP 19 | AC 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +9 | Will +4 | Speed 25 ft.

AttacksMelee Hatchet +4 (Agile, Sweep, Thrown 10 ft.), Damage 1d6+1 S
Ranged Crossbow +7 (Crossbow), Damage 1d8 P
|
AbilitiesCat's Luck - Free Action (Catfolk, Fortune) Frequency once per day Trigger You fail a Reflex saving throw. You instinctively twist away from danger. You can reroll the triggering saving throw and use the better result.

Precision Damage Sneak Attack:: 1d6
| SkillsAcrobatics (T) +7
Arcana (U) +0
Athletics (T) +4
Crafting (U) +0
Deception (T) +5
Diplomacy (T) +5
Intimidation (T) +5
Lore: Port Torvin (T) +3
Medicine (U) -1
Nature (T) +2
Occultism (U) +0
Performance (U) +2
Religion (U) -1
Society (T) +3
Stealth (T) +7
Survival (T) +2
Thievery (T) +7
| Feats & SpecialsAdditional Feats: Cat Fall, Catfolk Weapon Familiarity, Hunting Catfolk, Pickpocket

Additional Specials: Imprecise Scent, Land on Your Feet, Rogue's Racket (Thief Racket), Sneak Attack, Surprise Attack
| EdictsNever forget where you came from. - Growing up destitute was hard and he will never forget those he went through that with, young and old.'

Give to those in need and they'll give back. - We look out for those who help us they will reward you in kind. It's the most core tenant of the whisper networks. This is law to Nico.

Always double check your work. - Never let a trap or plan go off half cocked!
|
AnthemaQuick to switch to a different tactic if it doesn't work. - Being young means he has a short attention span and little patience if something doesn't go his way the first time.

Distrusting of those in power and with what he perceives as too much money. - It isn't simply that wealth isn't meant to be hoarded. Nico firmly believes this is a personality issue with those that hold all the wealth in the world.

Short fuse when he feels him or someone he cares for has been wronged. - Nico hates being treated with disrespect, but hates it even more when you harm or mistreat one of his people.
| CoinpursePlatinum: 0
Gold: 3
Silver: 2
Copper: 0
| Inventory (Total Bulk: 3)Leather, Backpack, Bedroll, Chalk (10), Flint and Steel, Rope, Rations (3), Torch (5), Waterskin, Soap, Climbing Kit, Thieves' Tools, Mirror

"Speech"/Thought

Yarn

Mechanics

Action 1:
Action 2:
Action 3:

Reaction:
Free:

OOC:

Edited by Spacesong (see edit history)