Sean Peltrage, Human Thaumaturge

Name: Sean Peltrage [Sheet]

Level: 1

Ability Scores: Four free ability boosts (all used)

-Strength: 10 + 2 (free ability boost) + 12 (total, +1)

-Dexterity: 10

-Constitution: 10 + 2 (free ability boost) = 12 (total, +1)

-Intelligence: 10 (Base) + 2 (Ancestry) + 2 (Background) + 2 (Free Ability boost) = 16 (total, +3)

-Wisdom: 10

-Charisma: 10 (base) + 2 (Ancestry) + 2 (Background) + 2 (Class) + 2 (Free ability boost) = 18 (total, +4)

Race: Human

-Hit Points: 8

-Size: Medium

-Speed: 25 feet

-Two free ability boosts: Charisma and Intelligence

-Languages: Common, 1 + your Intelligence modifier (3) = 4 additional languages (Elvish, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome)

-Heritage: Versatile Heritage

-Ancestry feats: Natural Ambition and General Training

Background: Merchant

-Two ability boosts: One must be Intelligence or Charisma(chosen), one must be a free ability boost (Intelligence)

-Trained skills: Diplomacy and Mercantile Lore

-Skill feat: Bargain Hunter

Class: Thaumaturge

-Key Attribute (Charisma): Gain an ability boost to Charisma

-Hit Points: 8 + your Constitution modifier (1) = 9

-Total Hit Points: 8 (Ancestry) + 8 (class) + 1 (Constitution modifier) = 17 hit points total

Initial Proficiencies:

-Perception: Expert = your proficiency bonus (5) + your Wisdom modifier (0) = 5

-Saving Throws:

--Fortitude: Expert = your proficiency bonus (5) + your Constitution modifier (1) = 6

--Reflex: Trained = your proficiency bonus (3) + your Dexterity modifier (0) = 3

--Will: Expert = your proficiency bonus (5) + your Wisdom modifier (0) = 5

-Skills: Trained in Arcana, Nature, Occultism and Religion (Proficiency bonus [3] + Int modifier [3] = 6 total) . Trained in additional skills equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier (3) (Intimidation [3 + 4{Cha} = 7], Deception [3 + 4{Cha} = 7], Society [3 + 3{Int} = 6], Medicine [3 + 0{Wis} = 3], Thievery [3 + 0{Dex} = 3], Athletics [3 + 1{Str} = 4]). Trained in Diplomacy (3 + 4{Cha} = 7) and Mercantile Lore (3 + 3{Int} = 6) (Background). Trained in Esoteric Lore (3 + 4{Cha} = 7) (Class Feature).

-Attacks: Trained in simple weapons, martial weapons and unarmed attacks

-Defenses: Trained in light armor, medium armor and unarmored defense

-Class DC: Trained in thaumaturge class DC = 10 + your proficiency bonus (3) + key ability modifier (Charisma = 4) = 17 DC

Esoteric Lore: Trained in Esoteric Lore skill which uses Charisma as your modifier on Esoteric Lore checks and gains Dubious Knowledge feat

First Implement and Esoterica: Tome chosen, gain a mundane tome and initiate benefit for the chosen implement.

Exploit Vulnerability: Gain Exploit Vulnerability action

Implement's Empowerment: The power of your implement can also be turned to the more common task of combat, its power adding to and amplifying the effects of runes and other magical empowerments. When you Strike, you can trace mystic patterns with an implement you're holding to empower the Strike, causing it to deal 2 additional damage per weapon damage die. Channeling the power requires full use of your hands. You don't gain the benefit of implement's empowerment if you are holding anything in either hand other than a single one-handed weapon, other implements, or esoterica, and you must be holding at least one implement to gain the benefit.

Feats:

-Class: Diverse Lore

-Natural Ambition: Scroll Thaumaturgy

-General Training: Assurance (Medicine, 10 + your proficiency bonus [3] + 3 = 16)

-Background: Bargain Hunter

-Ancestry: Natural Ambition

-Ancestry: General Training

-Versatile Heritage: Battle Medicine

-Esoterica Lore: Dubious Knowledge

Equipment: 17 gp (15 starting gp + additional 2 gp from background) - 12 gp, 5 sp = 4 gp, 5 sp left

-Adventurer's pack: 1 gp and 5 sp, Bulk 2

-Healer's tools: 5 gp

-Chain Shirt: Flexible, Noisy, Light, AC = 2, Dex cap = +3, Check penalty = -1, STR Req = 12, Level 0, Bulk 1, Chain Armor group, 5 gp

-Longsword (Attack = your proficiency bonus [3] + your Strength modifier [1] = 1d20 + 4): Versatile P, Sword Weapon Group, Damage = 1d8 S, Hands to use (1), Level 0, Bulk 1, 1 gp

Alignment: Neutral

Deity: N/A

Armor Class: Your Dex modifier up to Dex cap (0) + 10 = your proficiency bonus (3) + armor's item bonus to AC (2) =15 AC

Bulk: 5 plus Strength modifier (1) = 6 total Bulk, 4 Bulk used

Edited by Trigun
Adding character sheet (sorry for using MW sheet) (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Appearance: Sean is a young man of the age of 25, slightly pale skin, standing at a height of 5'9" feet and weights 160 lb. He has blond hair that falls down to his shoulders, tied in a short ponytail and light blue eyes with a pair of glasses on top. He wears a brown shirt with a red vest on top, a small cap draped over his left arm, barely passing the elbow and covering his left shoulder, a brown belt around his waist with a blue, leather bound tome on his left side, a sword also sheathed underneath it in a way that both can be removed without problem. Sean also wears a pair of traveling, brown pants and a pair of traveling green boots.

Personality: Sean is a curious, studious person. He's someone who find enjoyment in learning and will always ask questions when it involves subjects he does not know. However, this zeal for knowledge means he has a tendency to ask when others don't want him to, which had led him into trouble a lot in the past. Even though he has learned to be more subtle about it, it still causes him problems since he tends to ignore when others are uncomfortable with the questions or don't want to answer due to their own reasons. His biggest fascination is with the occult side of things, that which most wizards and scholars don't dare to trek out of fear and ignorance. Despite his preference for knowledge, he does take his job as a merchant seriously, despite his currently not working as one at the moment.

Background: Sean was born to both a wizard of some renown and his merchant wife, coming from a well-off merchant family in the kingdom of Keoland. His life was one of studies and learning, for his father wanted him to become a great wizard. Yet it was his mother he was closer to, for she treated him more like the child he is, encouraging him to play more. Still, life was well for him in the Barony of Grayhill until his sister, five years younger was born. Elidia being her name, ended up showing far more magical talent than Sean was capable of. As such, his father's focus quickly switched to her, followed by his mother, but the latter still paid attention to him.

So Sean for the first time, found himself ignored by at least his father. His sister, on the other hand, was very competitive and always got annoyed when he showed no interest in competing with her. The only exception was books, which he showed a better aptitude for research, knowledge and lore, whereas Elidia was a bit more impulsive and impatient. But as they became older, their mother started becoming sick. The disease that afflicted her was strong, requiring powerful divine magic, yet their father, being a proud wielder of the arcane arts, refused to even think of asking the local Wee Jas priest to treat his wife. Instead, he used his alchemy skills to create elixirs to heal her, which worked for a while.

But his mother's condition worsened and the siblings did their own research on the disease. That was when Sean, now age 16, found an unassuming tome one day and opened it, despite an initial sense of trepidation. In it was a treatise on darker forms of magic, even showing some curses that could be used and one of those curses sounded suspiciously similar to what his mother was suffering. That night, he and Eliada reconvened to share what they found. But that ended up into a big argument, mostly from his sister, who believed using a dispel magic spell would easily deal with the disease, while Sean believed they'd need to perform an occult ritual to transfer the curse to another recipient and had bought a goat earlier for the job.

But their mother's condition took a turn for the worse and Sean went through with performing the ritual. While he had followed the necessary steps, his sister had also been preparing a spell to dispel the magic of the curse. Needless to say, when both things happened at the same time, disaster struck. No one knew what had happened, only that their mother had died. Their father, furious, demanded to know what happened and both siblings spoke. Once he was done listening, he used a paralysis spell on his son, denouncing him for delving into forbidden lore and threw him out of their home that day. His last sight in that cold, rainy day was to see his sister's expression, that of a far off look, as if she's seen some things she shouldn't have, before she walked back inside.

Sean was forced to sleep on the streets the first few days, before his uncle, his mother's brother ran into him, having heard the news. Taking pity on the now homeless, disowned by his father, young man and took him in, even giving him a job as his assistant peddling wares. For five years, he lived in the Duchy of Gradsul with his uncle, focused on learning how to be a merchant, make sales and connections, and even talk to people. Yet, despite the tragedy in his life, for the first time, Sean had a thirst, a hunger, a desire for knowledge. One he didn't pursue until he finished learning a trade from his uncle at the age of 21.

Now he just needed to start a store and make sales before he could try chasing after lore. But the only thing the young man knew was to research, learn and memorize knowledge. Sean had learned some basic sword skills from his uncle's caravan guards as a necessity to protect himself but nothing else. It was a meeting with a wizard's apprentice that gave him the idea for what to sell. While he had no magical talent, the young man had been very familiar with magical scrolls, the one thing his father had praised him for. So he began obtaining and selling scrolls, which also meant selling tomes and books, essentially using his knowledge of lore to make money.

Sean did as his uncle did and took to wandering, using his merchant skills to sell scrolls, tomes and such things while buying and getting his hand on more esoteric lore, first throughout the Kingdom of Keoland then further beyond as he grew in experience. His hunger for knowledge was sated, as he continued peddling and traveling, yet he never once returned to the Barony of Grayhill since being kicked out of both house and family. Now at the age of 25, he arrived at his next destination, the pert city of Port Torvin unsure of what'll happen or if fate has plans for him.

Edited by Trigun
Making backstory less vague and including Greyhawk locations (see edit history)

1. What is your experience with Pathfinder 2e?

This would be my second time playing Pathfinder 2e.

2. What is your experience with PbP?

I started actually playing PBP during my university years which was over ten years ago and even joined the OG Myth Weavers. I've been on at least four to five games before going on a hiatus and returning around December to the PBP scene

3. What is your Role-playing Experience (overall, PbP and otherwise)? And, what makes a game "good"?

I first got into the TTRPG scene when an online friend started speaking about D&D a lot. That along with a Let's Play of Neverwinter Nights 2 that was made around that time was what got my interest. It was months later that I really got into it when I first purchased a bundle for D&D 4th edition, which included the DM Manual, Monster Manual and the Player's Guide. Since then, I've been really into it despite not playing much in RL, due to not knowing anyone who also played tabletop RPGs.

As for what makes a game good, in my opinion, it has to have a good story, memorable encounters and willing to reward you for being creative while the players are also amicable with each other and having fun, willing to communicate if something isn't to their liking or if they're confused about something.

4. Please link me a couple examples of your Roleplaying here at the Weave (preferred). If no examples, be sure to post an "RP" in the open RP thread (when I get one up) I'd like to see a sample of your game-style writing.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/15925-0-prelude-market-festival-in-phaendar/&do=findComment&comment=238625

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/15924-1-trail-of-the-hunted-the-night-of-iron-fangs/&do=findComment&comment=244365

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/15924-1-trail-of-the-hunted-the-night-of-iron-fangs/&do=findComment&comment=267816

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/16476-chapter-11/&do=findComment&comment=249415

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/16476-chapter-11/&do=findComment&comment=249740

5. Tell me about a couple of your favorite characters you've actually played (in PBP or even in TT) and why you enjoyed those characters so much.

For starters, a goliath stone monk I made for a D&D 4e PBP, since I enjoyed the concept of a half-giant from a tribe becoming like a dexterous monk. Then there was my human invoker, which PBP was about the longest I've been on before the game died. And also a human wizard shadowmancer who's essentially surly and scowling, and was also a young man who grew up with other orphans.

6. Name (do not use the "mention" function) one or more players 'applying' for this game who you would like to be accepted.

Eagleheart, Zen Gypsy and Spacesong. The first two, it's because I'm already in a game in them and can say with confidence that they are good players, mechanically and in roleplaying their characters. As for Spacesong, it's because we were both in a game that didn't pan out because the GM suddenly disappeared and I would love the chance to play with them. I liked the character they made for that game so I know the one they're making now is a good one.