Character Creation Questions and/or Introductions

Cointhief

@Cointhief I want to go full out Rule of Cool with my character dual-wielding guns, but the rules don't allow it, at all.

1. Two-weapon fighting is only allowed for melee weapons.

2. A character needs a free hand to reload a weapon, so if I wield two guns, I can't reload any of them.

Not sure how the Gunner feat players into the second one. It says that "You ignore the loading property of firearms." But I'm presumably not generating ammo from thin air, so I still need to reload them even it no longer takes an action to do so.

From a rules perspective, a musket (d12) is strictly better than a pistol (d10). In addition, it's much easier to get one magic musket than two magic pistols. So from an optimization point of view, I'm actually losing out if I go for pistols... but think of the chil.... coolness factor!

What I'm essentially asking is the following:

A. Permission to reload pistols while dual-wielding.

B. Maybe allow the two-weapon fighting rules to apply to pistols (and hand crossbows?) too. That is, use a bonus action to do an extra pistol attack that does not add any ability modifier.

I can get around the second issue somewhat if I go monk anyway, but it'll still be more effective to use a musket from a damage point of view...

Edit: I have a different concept I can do instead. A mecha! I.e. an autognome Artificer Battle Smith whose Steel Defender is his full body; the autognome itself is just the upper part that can disengage when necessary.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

@Ayeba Sorry, I'm not interested in crafting rules to suit guns akimbo. More interested in memorable characters that ooze personality.

However...

I'll say since Multiattack with pistols is already possible if you have something to get around loading, I'm open to just fluffing that Multiattack 'looks like' dual pistols under certain conditions.

Artificer's Repeating Shot (which pulls ammo from thin air) infusion + Gunner. This would be the best way. It would require 2 attunement slots though. Repeating Shot gets around the free hand requirement of the Ammunition property. Gunner gets around loading and enables Multiattack.

Gunner + Thief's Fast Hands. Without a way to get around the free hand requirement of Ammunition, you would be doing more than one free Use an Object as you alternate stowing and loading one at a time. This is similar to the old solution for dual throwing builds, before the feats and maneuvers were released to accommodate that style. It essentially eats your Bonus.

Gunner + DM Custom Gun. I might drop revolvers and such in the future but I wouldn't base a character around that possibility.

I'd have to think about a refluffed Sun Soul or Crossbow Expert, but its probably fine as long as the damage and ranges were adjusted to match those weapons.

edit: Actually for that first combo with artificer, the Gunner feat would be a bit redundant.

Edited by Cointhief (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Cointhief said:

@Ayeba Sorry, I'm not interested in crafting rules to suit guns akimbo. More interested in memorable characters that ooze personality.

However...

I'll say since Multiattack with pistols is already possible if you have something to get around loading, I'm open to just fluffing that Multiattack 'looks like' dual pistols under certain conditions.

Artificer's Repeating Shot (which pulls ammo from thin air) infusion + Gunner. This would be the best way. It would require 2 attunement slots though. Repeating Shot gets around the free hand requirement of the Ammunition property. Gunner gets around loading and enables Multiattack.

Gunner + Thief's Fast Hands. Without a way to get around the free hand requirement of Ammunition, you would be doing more than one free Use an Object as you alternate stowing and loading one at a time. This is similar to the old solution for dual throwing builds, before the feats and maneuvers were released to accommodate that style. It essentially eats your Bonus.

Gunner + DM Custom Gun. I might drop revolvers and such in the future but I wouldn't base a character around that possibility.

I'd have to think about a refluffed Sun Soul or Crossbow Expert, but its probably fine as long as the damage and ranges were adjusted to match those weapons.

edit: Actually for that first combo with artificer, the Gunner feat would be a bit redundant.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my edit. With the switch to the new concept, I abandoned the idea of two pistols. Thanks for the consideration, though.

I agree personality is more important than mechanics, but the two aren't completely disconnected. As far as I'm concerned, a great D&D character is entertaining both in and out of combat. Since the combat in D&D can get a bit repetitive, something like a power fantasy or the rule of cool can add the necessary spice.

Then again, if you have a great concept/personality in mind, it will carry the character both in and out of combat.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, Streetrat said:

Would Undercommon count as an exotic language?

...it would net you an extra language, right?

Because it ranks UNDER Common...

...that's how integers work, right?

...right? 🤪

@Cointhief

Can our character be from any world? I’m really thinking someone from Nirn (Elder Scrolls); could have a lot of hilarious implications.

also, for warlocks: does the 5 spell levels in a wizards spell book also apply to the Tome pact warlock if we take the ability to cast rituals from the book?

On being from an Elder Scrolls wildspace, I suppose. Again the caveat is that its important your character cares about the fate of Toril.

Yes on the Tome, and Ritual Caster feat now that I think about it.