Ali Kapur, the Professional

zazamz12

motw.jpeg.709f5404a6784a234c1264ba0bc55278.jpeg

Backstory

++++++++++CLASSIFIED INFORMATION - TOP SECRET CLEARANCE REQUIRED++++++++++

Agent Ali Kapur, codename "Goshawk", is a field agent of the Office of Interstate Transport Safety, the federal government's main paranormal containment agency. Born in 19██ in ███████████, he showed academic promise at a young age and won a scholarship to ████████████████████████, where he came to the attention of Office recruiters in his senior year. He went on to graduate from ████ with a degree in ████████████████, joining the ████ as an ███████. After the failure of Operation ██████████ in the ██████████ in which there was an encounter with the paranormal, he was approached by the Office with an offer to do actual damage against the monsters that preyed upon humanity.

He accepted.

Unredacted Version

Agent Ali Kapur, codename "Goshawk", is a field agent of the Office of Interstate Transport Safety, the federal government's main paranormal containment agency. Born in 1973 in Buffalo, NY, he showed academic promise at a young age and won a scholarship to Stuyvesant High School, where he came to the attention of Office recruiters in his senior year. He went on to graduate from Yale with a degree in Computer Sciences, joining the Army as an officer. After the failure of Operation Dire Storm in the Korean DMZ in which there was an encounter with the paranormal, he was approached by the Office with an offer to do actual damage against the monsters that preyed upon humanity.

He accepted.

Agency

The Office of Interstate Transport Safety is the federal government's main paranormal containment agency, posing as an innocuous bureaucratic swampland. In reality, the office, under the purview of the DHS, is tasked with ensuring that supernatural damage is kept to a minimum, that knowledge is kept from the public on a need-to-know basis, and that monster threats are contained or neutralized. To this end, agents are given carte blanche to pursue the missions that Central gives them (within good sense), and often deploy experimental gadgets to do so. However, the Office has begun to act independently of the DHS, and the motives of the higher-ups have been called into question many times.

Resources: Official pull, weird tech gadgets

Red Tape: Dubious motives, bureaucratic

Character Description & Ratings

Pronouns: he/him

Looks: Man, determined face, tailored suit

Ratings

Charm: -1

Cool: +3

Sharp: +1

Tough: +1

Weird: 0

Luck

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Harm

Okay [ ][ ][ ] | [ ][ ][ ][ ] Dying

Unstable: [ ]

Experience

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Level Ups

Moves
  • When you Deal with the Agency, requesting help or gear, or making excuses for a failure, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, you’re good—your request for gear or personnel is okayed, or your slip-up goes unnoticed. On a 7-9, things aren’t so great. You might get chewed out by your superiors and there’ll be fallout, but you get what you need for the job. On a miss, you screwed up: you might be suspended or under investigation, or just in the doghouse. You certainly aren’t going to get any help until you sort it all out.
  • Battlefield Awareness: You always know what’s happening around you, and what to watch out for. Take +1 armour (max 2-armour) on top of whatever you get from your gear
  • Mobility: You have a truck, van, or car built for monster hunting. Choose two good things and one bad thing about it: fast, armoured (+1 armor inside), gas-guzzler
  • Unfazeable: Take +1 Cool (max +3).
Gear
  • Flak vest (1-armour hidden)
  • Assault rifle (3-harm far area loud reload)
  • 9mm (2-harm close loud)
  • Big knife (1-harm hand)
  • Agency car (armoured BMW 740iL)

Edited by zazamz12
Fixed names (see edit history)

My bad, just saw that I missed it, lol. Taking the big knife as the second normal weapon.

Also, could I say that, for my backstory, he's entering the show undercover to investigate it for the Office?

And also, is there any way to have my character image put to the side of the text boxes?

Edited by zazamz12 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, zazamz12 said:

Also, could I say that, for my backstory, he's entering the show undercover to investigate it for the Office?

Potentially, but the biggest challenge behind that is that your character would be going undercover in a way that is very indirect. Ali wouldn't technically be part of the network for investigation reasons, and the risk of informational exposure as a core member of the show would be high since Ali would be on the show. I'm not sure it would make sense with the description of the organization you have above.

It may make more sense that the agency is going through a change of leadership, however. For example, perhaps the previous leader had the opinion of keeping the populace in the dark about the supernatural as the best way to handle information. The new leader is more open and possibly suggested the show in the first place as a way to test the waters for giving people better understandings about what's out there.

Thoughts?

And also, is there any way to have my character image put to the side of the text boxes?

You have to double-click the image and that let's you resize it when editing and then you can select "right" or "left" for the float. Then, you can move it around and drop it where you want it.

1 hour ago, tuxagon said:

Potentially, but the biggest challenge behind that is that your character would be going undercover in a way that is very indirect. Ali wouldn't technically be part of the network for investigation reasons, and the risk of informational exposure as a core member of the show would be high since Ali would be on the show. I'm not sure it would make sense with the description of the organization you have above.

It may make more sense that the agency is going through a change of leadership, however. For example, perhaps the previous leader had the opinion of keeping the populace in the dark about the supernatural as the best way to handle information. The new leader is more open and possibly suggested the show in the first place as a way to test the waters for giving people better understandings about what's out there.

Thoughts?

I like it! Maybe something akin to "OK, they can know about zombies and ghouls, but not about the Unspeakable Horrors from the 11th Dimension"?

But like, I was thinking more along the lines of "the Office is suspicious of the show, pose as a civilian and go undercover to see what's going on", if that makes sense?

I'm good to go with your suggestion as well - sorry, brain is still in that "MiB-lite" phase 😅

I think the organization keeping the network on a short leash is perfectly fine and gives an interesting dynamic. The posing as a civilian I don't think works as well because your character won't be posing as a civilian; they'll be themself on the show doing the job they do for the agency. 

Something to keep in mind is that the show doesn't necessarily need to be name dropped. It could be part of the contract that any "agency" provisions are made to look like they're from the network's budget and resourcing. No one need know the organization exists while also letting the public learn a bit more about the world of supernatural.

Edited by tuxagon (see edit history)