What Aspect of Your Game are You Improving?

cailano

Brevity. I come from another site and brought with me a propensity of long-windedness, with posts ranging from 500-2000 words on average. That often hurt posting rate and morale because who has time for that (me. I do)? As such, brevity has helped me polish my writing more and make my dialogue sharper, and make sure that what happens happens. Granted I'm still more long-winded than most DMs I come across, but I'm working on it, not done.

As a player I make no promises.

If we're including offline, I'm working more on props. My players got a letter a few sessions ago and were tickled pink by it, so I'm adding music, props, and occasionally food out of game for in-game moments.

2 hours ago, cailano said:

@Gregorotto I lurked a bit in some of your games. I like your attention to design. Very pretty.

I think design is an oft neglected part of play by post. Whether it's images, clear formatting, music, or organization of information IC or OOC, design is incredibly important for accessibility for both players and readers.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Choomie said:

I am currently focused on improving my general writing skills. I've been reading books like The Elements of Style, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Dialogue, and The Elements of Eloquence to learn about what makes a book great, why a sentence is memorable, why our words have rhythm, and so on.

Well played. Writing skills make a huge difference in PbP.