Solo Trade Request

Since my IRL has vaguely stabilised, I figure I might start looking for a solo game trade. At this point I've got a wide variety of characters/settings to potentially use (or I can always make up something new) but my main request would be for my character(s) to be fairly powerful in mechanics terms, be that high level for PF, a high point value for GURPS, etc (and, by extension, for the game to have enough mechanics that it is actually possible to have a character who is more powerful.)

In terms of systems I'm most familiar with with PF1e and M&M3e, but I'm vaguely familiar with GURPS, PTU, Shadowrun 5e, WoD, and a handful of others. Potentially open to learning a new system either to play or GM, but those are my preference.

So...yeah. Anyone interested in a solo game trade?

I might be interested in a solo game trade. I'm familiar with Pathfinder 1e and not at all with any of the others that you mentioned. To get a better feel for what you are after, a few questions:

1) How many characters are you wanting to play?

2) How high of a level are you talking (9-10, 14-15, 20)?

3) Are you okay with published modules? Tomb of Horrors was my initial thought as I read your request.

4) What kind of setting are you looking for (dungeon crawl, urban, wilderness, all of the above)?

5) Are you wanting to incorporate the Mythic rules?

I've actually been giving some thought toward trying my hand at more GMing here, and a solo game seems like a good way to get some experience. So I might be interested, as well.

Out of the options you've given, the only one I'd be comfortable GMing is M&M3E. I've run a couple IRL sessions, and some brief stints here, though I've played in quite a few games. I've seen you bopping around the M&M scene here for years, as well; I think we've only played together maybe once though, many years ago. I'd be fine doing a high PL/PP solo game. That actually sounds like a lot of fun.

I'd want to nail down details about things like setting and the character you'd want to play, but that could all happen if you want to take me up on the offer. More than that, I'd want to know the level of activity you're hoping for; I could likely commit to updates, minimum, once a week, but I'd aspire to more like a couple times a week. My work schedule is pretty screwy. You mention IRL finally stabilizing for you; this might be about the level of activity you're looking for. But if you want something faster, I might not be able to keep up. I also tend to write longer posts with a lot of description, which not everyone enjoys having to read through.

For the trade, out of the games you list, the one I most want to learn is Shadowrun. I've wanted to play it for years, but never really had the opportunity; I've actually been reading through the 5th edition rulebooks lately for unrelated reasons, and have an okay grasp on it, but have never played or experienced the setting. But if that doesn't sound appealing(I bet a solo Shadowrun game can be quite difficult, both to play and run), I'd be fine with trading M&M3E games. I've got a couple of characters I haven't gotten to play as much as I'd like.

Let me know if you're interested.

There have been a few things like this before. I think there was once a thread where people could say what they were interested in playing/running in the hopes of organising a swap. I've also been involved in an AP swap where a load of us each ran games for the rest but only two(?) of those are still running.

I've done a few solo swaps myself... none of them have ever really worked out, for various reasons, but I still kinda like the idea, certainly for certain types of games.

6 hours ago, rover said:

@roryb

What games are you interested in as a player?

What games are you offering as a GM?

Personally, I like things on the narrative side and some weird indies. As both player a GM, some of my favs are Fate, Barbarians of Lemuria, Prose Descriptive Qualities (Jaws of the Six Serpents, Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies), World of Dungeons, By This Axe I Hack (a Black Hack hack), Lasers & Feelings, Freeform Universal, and a smattering of other quirky one-shot types. If I were to offer something, it might be mythic Greece flavored. I have a BoL permutation (Heroes of Hellas) for just such an occasion, and a Xena analogue for Fate Core that I ran before that’s got lots of potential. I might lean towards the latter.

Edited by roryb (see edit history)

Well, I quite like Fate, but somehow Greece has never been appealing for me. Also, we're in the process of starting up two relatively complex games with Llyarden, so my inquiry was rather theoretical.

But your list of non-mainstream games is really impressive!

19 minutes ago, rover said:

Well, I quite like Fate, but somehow Greece has never been appealing for me. Also, we're in the process of starting up two relatively complex games with Llyarden, so my inquiry was rather theoretical.

But your list of non-mainstream games is really impressive!

Understood. Sounds like fun. As for Fate, I’m usual up for other things, including lighter fare (such as Masters of Umdaar or bog standard fantasy type stuff). Perhaps at a later date!

If I'm honest I'm a little busy with life and my existing games at the moment but I'd potentially be interested in a solo trade, maybe even the kind you're talking about @Llyarden (I'd prefer 3.5 but I'm good with high-ish power PF1e or similar). I've had limited success with them myself but I think a solo lets you do a lot of stuff that you wouldn't normally in a party game, with maybe much more character-focused plots or things like being the villain (or the old "chosen one" trope).

I'll check out your hub thing @rover, though I'm not so much looking for anything right now, myself, as just open to the possibility. 🙂