Book 1, Part 3 Side Thread: Star's Request

pi4t

UsY5rNi.pngStar - Character Sheet

AC: 19 (+2 nimble dodge) | Fort: +8 | Ref: +11 | Will: +9
HP: 41/41 | Rebel Points: 1/3 | Perception: +9 | Stealth +10
Conditions +2 initiative

Star doesn't normally speak during breakfast, preferring to focus on eating as much as possible and stuffing her pockets folr later. Long experience not knowing where her next meal will come from has taught her never to refuse free food. (Coffee, on the other hand, is still a mystery to her.)

But today, she clearly has something on her mind. She only picks at her food, and keeps looking as though she's about to speak, only to change her mind and lower her head again. Finally, when the meal is almost over, she speaks up. "Y'know," she says with a careful attempt at casualness, "There's a lotta folks out there what had homes an' such destroyed by Thrune. Folks what ain't got nowhere to go and don't know how ta live on the streets. Kids too, what had parents killed. Times 'r tough, 's what I'm sayin'. An we've got a lotta money now. Maybe we c'n do something? Set up some sorta soup kitch'n say? It'd help the rev'lution too, spreadin' goodwill an' such," she adds hastily, evidently afraid that the rest of the Ravens will object to spending money on a project that would only help the city's poor and won't bring any practical benefit.

Show Mechanics

1689204652787.png.1171a71b77f17a6fe33d763e80a3c0aa.pngKjersti Volden

AC: 20 | Fort: +9 | Ref: +7 | Will: +9
HP: 36/36 | Focus: 1/1 | Hero: 0/3 | Perception: +7
Conditions

Coffee, to Kjersti, is never a mystery. Though the brew that comes from Long Roads is far and away a more luxurious experience than anything she had experienced anywhere beyond the city walls. And yet, whether it be morning sludge or artisan blend, she held it piping hot between her calloused hands and took in the potent steam just as happily as sipping it - which she took black as night.

Having already consumed her portion of what was provided, the tall redhead looks over the rim of the big mug as Star pipes up and expresses an idea. Clearly she mulls over it for a minute, her blue gaze looking for Temperance, the one who would truly know where they stood with their money. What Star knows them to have might not, in a greater scheme, last them long depending on the sorts of things that might be required of the fledgling revolution.

And yet.

"That is certainly a commendable idea, Star," she finally says, setting the mug down with a clunk but keeping her hands wrapped around it. "In the end, it ain't just us that needs to keep keepin' on... it's everyone. Gotta be a will beyond just us, to make a change..." She looks across the various faces nearby, a few the sort Star describes, and others knowing it's this or tyranny. "Where you reckon a thing like that goes? Where's the need most dire?"

UsY5rNi.pngStar - Character Sheet

AC: 19 (+2 nimble dodge) | Fort: +8 | Ref: +11 | Will: +9
HP: 41/41 | Rebel Points: 1/3 | Perception: +9 | Stealth +10
Conditions +2 initiative

"Well, the Nurs'ry's always got the poorest folks in it, an' a lot o' homes there got burnt down durin' the night 'f ashes. Homes made 'f wood, close togeth'r, long way from the riv'r. Tiefling area." Star walks around the table toward Kjersti, bumping into Rexus as he returns from refilling his coffee. "Since the night, I reck'n there's been more folks pilin' in there too. Not just tieflin's, neither. I think the dotters 'r' drivin' 'em outta the other districts, shovin' 'em in there if they ain't got nowhere else to go."

Star unrolls Rexus's favourite map of the city onto the breakfast table. (Rexus looks surprised, and starts patting his pockets in confusion). She points at a spot to the east, at the edge of the Devil's Nursery. "How 'bout we set somethin' up here? It's inside the nurs'ry an' would be hidden from dotters patrollin' along the main road, but a bunch'f homes got burnt there an' last I checked there was still some clear space. Well, it'd be clear if we got rid 'f the rubble. It's close 'nough to the edge of the nurs'ry that folks from the rest 'f redroof'd be able to use it as well."

"I c'n eat on four copp'r a day if I have to. So that means with ten gold a month we c'd feed...um..." Star attempts to count on her fingers, before giving up "a lot 'f people."

Show Mechanics

Star's estimate of four copper a day is based on the Subsistence cold of living, which is 4SP per week. I assumed that at least a quarter of that is spent on other necessities, and then rounded to the nearest whole number of copper pieces.

I've made some assumptions about the current situation of Kintargo, which seemed pretty likely - if I've got anything plot-relevantly wrong then let me know.

1689216106077.png.fc149026907c4b2855888e7528caa39f.pngTemperance - Sheet

AC: 20 Fort: +8 Ref: +11 Will: +7

HP: 24/24 Rebel Points: 2/3 | Perception: +7

Ammunition: 20/20 (40 Reserve) | Alchemy Prepared | Spotter | Conditions

On the other side of the table, yellow eyes glanced up as Temperance listened to the conversation, working on her breakfast. Picking up her mug, the pitborn nephilim sipped at the overly sweetened and creamed coffee, the steam of the pale brown beverage filling her senses. It was a long moment as she paused, eyes trailing down as her brain worked through some things...calculating, processing.

"...Thirty five."

After the out of context statement, the blonde glanced up at Kjersti, then focused on Star, yellow eyes giving direct attention.

"That is how many mouths ten sails will feed if you intend one basic meal a day for a month. Much less if you need to hire serving staff."

Temperance paused to take another sip, closing her eyes. "I'm not saying it is a poor idea. But having a basis of understanding the means required would not go amiss"

Show Mechanics

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

• 2 weeks later...

1689204652787.png.1171a71b77f17a6fe33d763e80a3c0aa.pngKjersti Volden

AC: 20 | Fort: +9 | Ref: +7 | Will: +9
HP: 36/36 | Focus: 1/1 | Hero: 0/3 | Perception: +7
Conditions

Hearing the numbers laid out by the person who would know the most, Kjersti hms and sets the mug of coffee down on the table in front of her. "Any chance we know if Zea is tryin'a do anythin' similar? If'n it's their neck'a the woods, might as well put the efforts t'gether 'tsead of pullin' separate ways." As they have seen, the Cloven Hoof has their own problems ahead of them but they have done their best to take care of their own. Odds seem good that these folks being displaced from their homes by Thrune would join up with Zea and her people sooner or later.

"Other'n that... I fear gettin' folks used to a charity for a month, then havin' nothin' to support it the next month. We ain't got the most reliable of income... an' beatin' up Citizens or dottari jus' gonna earn us more smoke..." Biting her lip, Kjersti weighs the pros and cons. "I jus' dunno. I like where your head is at, Star, I do... but we might need to secure, eh... some fundin'." The wheels continue to turn as the redhead's bright blue eyes turn to Rexus.

"Wonder if anyone besides Victocoras could be persuaded to do some... common good."