The Docks (OOC Thread)

I'm using TokenTool to create the framed profile picture. If you're uncomfortable using it, I can fix it for you. Just let me know what style / color you'd prefer on your border, 'cause there are a ton to choose from.

Also; past or present tense, that's the question. I prefer past, but I can do either. Most importantly, I'd like all of us to use the same, otherwise I get these light whiplashes when reading through multiple posts.

@saithor How would you like us to do perception?

1. You handle it, no need for anything from us.
  2. You handle it, but we should list our perception-related dice pools somewhere easily available, like our header.
  3. You roll for us when there are hidden stuff happening, but we can also request additional rolls when we want to be extra vigilant.
  4. You roll for us when there are hidden stuff happening, but we can also roll ourselves in the post without asking for permission first.

I am sure there are more variants, just tried to list the more obvious alternatives.

You can roll when you want to if you feel it's in character for your character to be searching for details. I'll roll it versus hidden things happening. So #4 pretty much.

Casting Trid Phantasm at force 3 to mask their real appearances. Buying 3 hits on (the limit) on the spellcasting, and 3 hits to reduce drain to 0. Sustained by Illusionist.

I am trying to figure out what this means. Granted I have not read over the magic rules. Just finished the Matrix rules and am in the middle of the Rigger rules. I have read them before but it has been a long time and I wanted to reread and see what major screw ups I made. 😉

Not sure what casting at force 3.

I think that buying 3 hits was referencing how you can buy hits at the cost of 1 hit per 4 dice in the pool.

So that would give you 3 successes, right?

Not sure what the 3 hits to reduce the drain to 0 means. It sounds like you burned 3 of your hits to reduce the drain. But that would mean you dropped your hit total to 0 which would mean the spell failed. What am I missing?

Also does everyone who sees the illusion get to try to resist it? Or is it only if they have some reason to doubt what they are seeing?

Just to be clear, I am not trying to mess up your actions. I am trying to understand them.

10 minutes ago, Draidden said:

Not sure what the 3 hits to reduce the drain to 0 means. It sounds like you burned 3 of your hits to reduce the drain. But that would mean you dropped your hit total to 0 which would mean the spell failed. What am I missing?

So, with magic you have two different pools of dice. The first is the pool with which you actually cast the spell (via declaring force, etc etc). That's derived from your skill with Spellcasting, and your Magic attribute. In this case, iirc, Pup has a magic of 7 and a skill rating of 6, with spec for Illusion spells, for a total casting pool of 15.

Once it's cast, she then has to roll for spell drain, aka the "headache" mentioned in an earlier post when she tried and failed to summon a beast spirit the first time. This pool is derived from the caster's "tradition" aka the lens through which they focus their power. Pup's tradition of "Red Magic", centered around beast spirits, uses Intuition + Willpower as that pool.

In both cases, the 1:4 ratio of bought hits to dice in the pool would leave both pools with 3 hits total.

Ah, so if I understand it right then if I tried to resist the magic, it would be my hits vs her 3 hits and I would have to get at least 4 to see through the illusion? Or do I just need to tie it?

2 hours ago, Draidden said:

Ah, so if I understand it right then if I tried to resist the magic, it would be my hits vs her 3 hits and I would have to get at least 4 to see through the illusion? Or do I just need to tie it?

Yeah, it's not a hard illusion to see through at force 3. You resist with Intuition + Logic, or Object Resistance for items, I think.

3 hours ago, NewSheo said:

So, with magic you have two different pools of dice. The first is the pool with which you actually cast the spell (via declaring force, etc etc). That's derived from your skill with Spellcasting, and your Magic attribute. In this case, iirc, Pup has a magic of 7 and a skill rating of 6, with spec for Illusion spells, for a total casting pool of 15.

+2 from Mentor spirit, too. Pretty much as high as it gets. Now, if only I could resist all the drain that inevitably comes my way...

@Draidden How hard is it to spot the drones?

Can someone ( @saithor? ) help me with the interpretation of rules on drones perception vs illusions?

1. If no one is plugged into the drone at the moment, it appears to use Object Resistance, right?
  2. If someone is plugged in, does it still use the object resistance?

I'm also unsure what object resistance to use. The table on p295 lists "sensors" at 9, but "drones" at 15+. Since I am only attempting to fool the sensors, do I use the 9, then?

Honestly, if it's 15+ that makes it almost impossible to reliably use illusions against drones. I have gone hyper specialized into Illusions at a dice pool of 17, but I may get myself killed if I go beyond force 7, which becomes the limit for the number of hits I can get.

I think I remember from the 3rd edition rules that Regeneration would not heal damage from physical drain. I haven't read that rule in the 5th edition, but I assume it's still the case.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

I am not sure of exactly how hard this drone would be to spot. I will have to look it up. What I do know is that it is a minidrone about the size of a bug, like a dragonfly and it is made to look like a bug.

Currently Luke is jacked in to it and so almost all of its checks are made using his stats.

If he was to make a resist check vs the illusion, would it be Illusion - Mana or Illusion - Physical. He has a pool of 7 and 8 respectively. So the good news is he can't buy a success, he would have to roll. 😉

Just to get some practice I added a couple of rolls to my last post.

So to determine the maximum hits I can have for resisting a spell I use the Astral Limit, right?

And is there any way to tell the dice roller that I can only have so many hits? Or do we just have to figure that out after the roll?

5 hours ago, Draidden said:

If he was to make a resist check vs the illusion, would it be Illusion - Mana or Illusion - Physical. He has a pool of 7 and 8 respectively. So the good news is he can't buy a success, he would have to roll. 😉

Trid Phantasm is a physical illusion spell.

5 hours ago, Draidden said:

So to determine the maximum hits I can have for resisting a spell I use the Astral Limit, right?

No, there's no limit to the number of hits you can roll on resistance against spells. You resisted the illusion and saw right through it.

By the way, @saithor, I checked with some forum threads on the topic of illusions and drones. The consensus seemed to be that you'd use the full object resistance (15+) when affecting the drone directly, such as with a direct manipulation spell. If I'm only trying to fool the sensors (with illusions), you use the lower object resistance of 9.