Ayeba

Portrait of Question, Automaton Diviner
Question

Automaton wizard (diviner) 5
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | PP: 10 / 13
Spell Attack: +8 | DC: 16 | 1st 3/4, 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2
Portent: 13/14 | Acc. Healing 1/1 | Inspiration: 1/1

Question didn't comment on Deidre's comment about her adaptability. She just put on what she had calculated to be an encouraging smile.

7 hours ago, Harding said:

"So, Question, do you... eat? And if you do, do you derive pleasure from it? I mean, is there a positive or negative sensory experience for you, like for us humans?"

The first part of the question was easy to answer. "Yes, I convert calories in food suitable for living creatures such as yourself to fuel."

The second part was a bit harder, causing Question to freeze for a few seconds before she phrased her answer.

"I do not know exactly how you humans derive pleasure from eating, but I have reasons to believe it is not the same. From my observations, many humans will intentionally try to obtain the same food they have previously enjoyed. That is not the case for me. I seek new experiences and data. It might be appropriate to say I enjoy novel experiences."

7 hours ago, Harding said:

"And what about other forms of enjoyment? Do you appreciate music, art, the stars, or even the moon? Or is it all just data and calculations for you?"

Though the questions were fairly mundane, it caused Question to freeze up again as she considered all the possible options.

"Informative statement: This unit lacks a precise definition of 'enjoyment'," she said as her second level protocols failed. She shivered for a moment as they kicked in again. "My apologies. I will test out various activities to measure the response in my processing faculties. It can give a clue to what my purpose is, which is a strong motivating factor. I'm afraid the answer may be a bit unsatisfactory to you."

She listened as Deidre shared the scenario. A single tear ran from each of her eyes as the dying wife was mentioned, but she gave no other hint that the story impacted her. Though the question on the surface was a lot more complicated, the scenario was more limited in its scope, which allowed Question's processes to arrive at a conclusion much faster.

"I can empathize with him for doing something illegal to save his wife. If stealing the potion would cause undue harm to other people, directly or indirectly, I would also understand their point of view and their wishes to cause harm back. Morality can not be unambiguously calculated. As such, it would be wrong for me to impose my morality based judgement on him regardless of his decisions, but I can express my agreement with or regret of his actions, as well as evaluate how the laws would view such an action."

She tilted her head to the side, giving her a thoughtful look. It was a calculated move to make her feel more human, as she had to intentionally dedicate some processing power to do so. Freezing up would cost no such resources.

"The optimal outcome might be that he stole the potion without resorting to violence, left the 500g that the potion is worth, and escaped with his family."

Her head tilted upright again, and she looked Deidre straight in the eyes.

"Please tell me: What is your own answer to such a scenario?"

Mechanics

Main Hand: -
Off Hand: Arcane Grimoire (+1)

Proficiencies: Arcana/History/Investigation +7, Nature/Religion +4, Survival +3

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Spells

SPELLS PREPARED

Cantrips: Crushing Curse * |  Pummelstone* | Mage HandMinor Illusion

1st level: Shield (R) | Absorb Elements (R) | Feather Fall (R) | Mage Armor | Pendulum* (C)

2nd level: Misty Step (B) | Invisibility (C) | Web (C)

3rd level: Summon Undead (C)

RITUALS

1st level: Detect Magic | Comprehend Languages | Find Familiar | Identify | Speak with Inanimate Object

2nd level: Augury

3nd level: Tiny Hut

Allies

RAVEN
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.

STR 2 (-4) | DEX 14 (+2) | CON 8 (-1) | INT 2 (-4) | WIS 12 (+1) | CHA 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13

Mimicry. The raven can mimic simple sounds it has heard, such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check.

ACTIONS

Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

UNDEAD SPIRIT
Medium undead

Armor Class 11 + the level of the spell (natural armor)
Hit Points 30 (Ghostly and Putrid only) or 20 (Skeletal only) + 10 for each level of the spell above 3rd
Speed 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (hover) (Ghostly only)

STR 12 (+1) | DEX 16 (+3) | CON 15 (+2) | INT 4 (-3) | WIS 10 (+0) | CHA 9 (-1)

Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages understands the languages you speak
Proficiency Bonus: equals your bonus

Festering Aura (Putrid Only). Any creature, other than you, that starts its turn within 5 feet of the spirit must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be poisoned until the start of its next turn.
Incorporeal Passage (Ghostly Only). The spirit can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. If it ends its turn inside an objects, it is shunted to the nearest unoccupied space and takes 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The spirit makes a number of attacks equal to half this spell’s level (rounded down).
Deathly Touch (Ghostly Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1d8 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage, and the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened of the undead until the end of the target’s next turn.
Grave Bolt (Skeletal Only). Ranged Spell Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 2d4 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage.
Rotting Claw (Putrid Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 + the spell’s level slashing damage. If the target is poisoned, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be paralyzed until the end of its next turn.

Ayeba

Ayeba

Question

Question didn't comment on Deidre's comment about her adaptability. She just put on what she had calculated to be an encouraging smile.

4 hours ago, Harding said:

"So, Question, do you... eat? And if you do, do you derive pleasure from it? I mean, is there a positive or negative sensory experience for you, like for us humans?"

The first part of the question was easy to answer. "Yes, I convert calories in food suitable for living creatures such as yourself to fuel."

The second part was a bit harder, causing Question to freeze for a few seconds before she phrased her answer.

"I do not know exactly how you humans derive pleasure from eating, but I have reasons to believe it is not the same. From my observations, many humans will intentionally try to obtain the same food they have previously enjoyed. That is not the case for me. I seek new experiences and data. It might be appropriate to say I enjoy novel experiences."

4 hours ago, Harding said:

"And what about other forms of enjoyment? Do you appreciate music, art, the stars, or even the moon? Or is it all just data and calculations for you?"

Though the questions were fairly mundane, it caused Question to freeze up again as she considered all the possible options.

"Informative statement: This unit lacks a precise definition of 'enjoyment'," she said as her second level protocols failed. She shivered for a moment as they kicked in again. "My apologies. I will test out various activities to measure the response in my processing faculties. It can give a clue to what my purpose is, which is a strong motivating factor. I'm afraid the answer may be a bit unsatisfactory to you."

She listened as Deidre shared the scenario. A single tear ran from each of her eyes as the dying wife was mentioned, but she gave no other hint that the story impacted her. Though the question on the surface was a lot more complicated, the scenario was more limited in its scope, which allowed Question's processes to arrive at a conclusion much faster.

"I can empathize with him for doing something illegal to save his wife. If stealing the potion would cause undue harm to other people, directly or indirectly, I would also understand their point of view and their wishes to cause harm back. Morality can not be unambiguously calculated. As such, it would be wrong for me to impose my morality based judgement on him regardless of his actions, but I can express my agreement with or regret of his actions, as well as evaluate how the laws would view such an action."

She tilted her head to the side, giving her a thoughtful look. It was a calculated move to make her feel more human, as she had to intentionally dedicate some processing power to do so. Freezing up would cost no such resources.

"The optimal outcome might be that he stole the potion without resorting to violence, left the 500g that the potion is worth, and escaped with his family."

Mechanics

Spells

SPELLS PREPARED

1st level: Shield (R) | Absorb Elements (R) | Feather Fall (R) | Mage Armor | Pendulum* (C)

RITUALS

1st level: Detect Magic | Comprehend Languages | Find Familiar | Identify | Speak with Inanimate Object

Allies

RAVEN
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.

Skills Perception +3

Mimicry. The raven can mimic simple sounds it has heard, such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check.

ACTIONS

Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

UNDEAD SPIRIT
Medium undead

Hit Points 30 (Ghostly and Putrid only) or 20 (Skeletal only) + 10 for each level of the spell above 3rd

Festering Aura (Putrid Only). Any creature, other than you, that starts its turn within 5 feet of the spirit must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be poisoned until the start of its next turn.
Incorporeal Passage (Ghostly Only). The spirit can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. If it ends its turn inside an objects, it is shunted to the nearest unoccupied space and takes 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The spirit makes a number of attacks equal to half this spell’s level (rounded down).
Deathly Touch (Ghostly Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1d8 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage, and the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened of the undead until the end of the target’s next turn.
Grave Bolt (Skeletal Only). Ranged Spell Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 2d4 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage.
Rotting Claw (Putrid Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 + the spell’s level slashing damage. If the target is poisoned, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be paralyzed until the end of its next turn.

Ayeba

Ayeba

Question

1 hour ago, Harding said:

1 hour ago, Harding said:

"I can empathize with him for doing something illegal to save his wife. If stealing the potion would cause undue harm to other people, directly or indirectly, I would also understand their point of view and their wishes to cause harm back. No one's sense of morality is flawless, including my own. As such, it would be wrong for me to impose my morality based judgement on him regardless of his actions, but I can express my agreement with or regret of his actions, as well as evaluate how the laws would view such an action."

Mechanics

Spells

SPELLS PREPARED

RITUALS

Allies

RAVEN
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.

Skills Perception +3

ACTIONS

UNDEAD SPIRIT
Medium undead

ACTIONS