Question, Chaos (child) Automaton Wizard

Ayeba

Question

Seeker of purpose

attempt1.jpg.ecb8fa71dcbcb3588f165fdb14b9cfe8.jpg

"Inquiry: What is your purpose?"

Wizard (Diviner) 5

Lineage: Automaton (Wastes of Chaos p23)

Medium female humanoid.
Lawful Neutral.

Armor Class 12 / 15 with Mage Armor / 20 with Shield

Hit Points 32 ( 6 + 4d6 (16) + 10 )
Speed 30 ft.

Senses Darkvision 60 ft.

Languages Common, Void Speech, Whisperium

Proficiency Bonus +3

ABILITIES & SKILLS
Proficiency Bonus: +3

Strength 10 (+0)
Save +0 
Athletics +0

Dexterity 14 (+2) 
Save +2 
Acrobatics +2 | Sleight of Hand +2 | Stealth +2

Constitution 14 (+2)
Save +2 
No skills associated.

Intelligence 18 (+4)
Save +7
Arcana +7 | History +7Investigation +7 | Nature +4 | Religion +4

Wisdom 10 (+0)
Save +3
Animal Handling +0 | Insight +0 | Medicine +0 | Perception +0 | Survival +3

Charisma 10 (+0) 
Save +0 
Deception +0 | Intimidation +0 | Performance +0 | Persuasion +0

Bold denotes proficiency.

PROFICIENCIES & ABILITIES

PROFICIENCIES

• Tools Cartographer's tools
  • Weapons Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
  • Armors None

WIZARD CLASS ABILITIES
Arcane Recovery | Ritual Casting | Divination Savant | Portent

RACIAL TRAITS
Darkvision | Enhanced Physiology | Disease Immunity | Accelerated Healing

FEATS
Telekinetic

WEAPONS

WEAPONS

• Dagger +5 to hit for (1d4+3) piercing damage. | Finesse, light, thrown (20/60)

SPELLS

SPELL SLOTS 4/4 (1st), 3/3 (2nd), 2/2 (3rd)

Spell Save DC: 16 | Spell Attack Mod: +8 | Spells Prepared: 9

CANTRIPS

Crushing Curse Crushing Curse
Enchantment cantrip (Void)

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You speak a word of Void Speech. Choose a creature you can see within range. If the target can hear you, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d6 psychic damage and be deafened for 1 minute, except that it can still hear Void Speech. A creature deafened in this way can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.

This spell’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).
* |  PummelstonePummelstone
Conjuration cantrip

Components: V, S, M (a pebble)

You cause a fist-sized chunk of stone to appear and hurl itself into the target. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

During its next turn when it makes an attack roll or ability check, the target must roll a d4 and subtract the result from the check.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th-level (2d6), 11th-level (3d6), and 17th-level (4d6).
* | Mage HandMage Hand
cantrip conjuration

Target: A point you choose within range
Components:
Duration: 1 minute

An invisible spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.

You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.
The hand can’t attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.
Minor IllusionMinor Illusion
cantrip illusion

Range: 30 feet
Target: See text
Components: S M (A bit of fleece)

You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.
If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else’s voice, a lion’s roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.

If you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. The image can’t create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it.
If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.

FIRST LEVEL

ShieldShield
1st level abjuration

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round

An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
(R) | Absorb Elements1st-level abjuration

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S

The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.
(R) | Feather FallFeather Fall
1st level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you or a creature within 60 feet of you falls
Target: Up to five falling creatures within range
Components: V M (A small feather or piece of down)

Choose up to five falling creatures within range. A falling creature’s rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round until the spell ends. If the creature lands before the spell ends, it takes no falling damage and can land on its feet, and the spell ends for that creature.
 (R) | 
Mage Armor | PendulumPendulum
1st-level enchantment (clockwork)

Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a small pendulum or metronome made of brass and rosewood worth 10 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You give the touched creature an aspect of regularity in its motions and fortunes. If the target gets a failure on a Wisdom saving throw, then for the duration of the spell it doesn’t make d20 rolls to determine the results of attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. It instead follows the sequence 20, 1, 19, 2, 18, 3, 17, 4, and so on.
* (C)

SECOND LEVEL

Misty StepMisty Step
2nd level conjuration

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Components: V

Briefly surrounded by silvery mist, you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see.
(B) | InvisibilityInvisibility
2nd level illusion

Target: A creature you touch
Components: V S M (An eyelash encased in gum arabic)
Duration: Concentration, Up to 1 hour

A creature you touch becomes invisible until the spell ends. Anything the target is wearing or carrying is invisible as long as it is on the target’s person. The spell ends for a target that attacks or casts a spell.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 2nd.
(C) | WebWeb
2nd level conjuration

Target: A point of your choice within range
Components: V S M (A bit of spiderweb)

You conjure a mass of thick, sticky webbing at a point of your choice within range. The webs fill a 20-foot cube from that point for the duration. The webs are difficult terrain and lightly obscure their area.
If the webs aren’t anchored between two solid masses (such as walls or trees) or layered across a floor, wall, or ceiling, the conjured web collapses on itself, and the spell ends at the start of your next turn. Webs layered over a flat surface have a depth of 5 feet.
Each creature that starts its turn in the webs or that enters them during its turn must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is restrained as long as it remains in the webs or until it breaks free.

A creature restrained by the webs can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. If it succeeds, it is no longer restrained.
The webs are flammable. Any 5-foot cube of webs exposed to fire burns away in 1 round, dealing 2d4 fire damage to any creature that starts its turn in the fire.
(C)

THIRD LEVEL
Summon UndeadSource: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

3rd-level necromancy

Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a gilded skull worth at least 300 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You call forth an undead spirit. It manifests in an unoccupied space that you can see within range. This corporeal form uses the Undead Spirit stat block. When you cast the spell, choose the creature’s form: Ghostly, Putrid, or Skeletal. The spirit resembles an undead creature with the chosen form, which determines certain traits in its stat block. The creature disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends.

The creature is an ally to you and your companions. In combat, the creature shares your initiative count, but it takes its turn immediately after yours. It obeys your verbal commands (no action required by you). If you don’t issue any, it takes the Dodge action and uses its move to avoid danger.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, use the higher level wherever the spell’s level appears in the stat block.
(C)

* Midgard spell. / (C) Concentration. / (R) Reaction spell. / (B) Bonus action spell.

WIZARD'S SPELLBOOK
These spells are not available unless they have been prepared ahead of time, unless they are rituals.

FIRST LEVEL

Shield (R), Absorb Elements (R), Feather Fall (R), Mage Armor, Pendulum*, Detect Magic (Ri), Comprehend Languages (Ri) | Find Familiar (Ri) | Identify (Ri) | Speak with Inanimate Object* (Ri)

SECOND LEVEL

Misty Step (B), Invisibility (C), Web (C), Augury (Ri)

THIRD LEVEL

Summon Undead (C), Leomund's Tiny Hut (Ri)

* Midgard spell. / (C) Concentration. / (R) Reaction spell. / (B) Bonus action spell. / (Ri) Ritual.

EQUIPMENT & ENCUMBERANCE

BudgetStarting gold: 400 gp
Sold starting spellbook: 50/2 = 25 gp

Summon Undead materials: -300 gp.
Augury materials: -25 gp
Spell Scroll: Speak with Inanimate Object: -60 gp.
Scribing the spell into the spellbook: -25 gp (discount from Divination Savant)
Blanket: -5 sp.

Result: 4.5 gp

TOTAL ENCUMBERANCE (137.12 lbs.)

• Weight: 87.18 lbs. / 150 lbs. max. (15 x STR Score)
  • Penalty: None

MONEY POUCH (0.12 lbs.)

Copper: 0 | Silver: 3 | Gold: 3 | Obsidian: 0 | Platinum: 0

(9 Coins x .02 lbs. = 0.12 lbs. Total Weight)

EQUIPEMENT READIED (11 lbs.)

Equipped items can be retrieved with a manipulate item interaction.

• Armor (4 lbs.) Traveler's Clothes - 4 lbs.
  • Weapons (1 lbs.) Dagger - 1 lb.
  • Spell component pouch (2 lbs.) Spell Component Pouch - 2 lbs. | Summon Undead materials (300gp) | Augury materials (25 gp)
  • Readied Items (4 lbs.) +1 Arcane Grimoire - 3 lbs. | Tinderbox - 1 lb.

EQUIPMENT STORED (106 lbs.)

Stored items can be retrieved with an action.

• In Backpack (79 lbs.) Backpack - 5 lbs. | Mess Kit - 1 lbs. | 8 torches - 8 lbs. | 12 days of rations - 24 lbs. | 7 Waterskin - 35 lbs. | Cartographer's Tools - 6 lbs.
  • Strapped to Backpack (27 lbs.) Waterskin - 5 lbs. | 2 torches - 2 lbs. | Hempen Rope - 10 lbs. | Bedroll & Blanket - 10 lbs.

* Denotes magic item (see below)

MAGIC ITEMS

NON-ATTUNED

ATTUNED (1/3)

+1 Arcane Grimoire

APPEARANCE

Age 2 | Height 5' 5" | Weight 118 lbs. | Hair Golden blonde | Eyes Radiating light with a purple tint | Complexion Fair

Even a casual glance will reveal that Question is beautiful by any standard. Her hair perfectly frames her face with its golden blonde color. The revealed fair skin is smooth and bereft of any blemishes. Her eyes are a bit strange, shedding light that varies in intensity, but many might find them exotic and beautiful. The rest of her face is also alluring, including her slightly puckered lips and her sharp eyebrows.

Some might find the two crystals embedded in her chest a bit off-putting. Like her eyes, they shine with a purple-tinted light, but unlike her eyes they seem to pulse. One is almost always shining brighter than the other, but which one it is varies.

Anyone that spends more than a few seconds with Question will soon realize her beauty is only skin deep. The first hint is her movements, or lack thereof. Normal people use gestures, show facial expressions, display hints of restlessness, perhaps have ticks or other involuntary behavior or at the very least blink regularly. Question can sit perfectly still for hours, moving only the minimum amount of muscles necessary to perform the task at hand. While talking to someone, she is likely to stare intensely at them, never moving more than her mouth. If she makes a gesture, it is robotic and alien, like someone has practiced something without seeing the purpose of it. She is not completely ignorant when it comes to manners, but she has a tendency not to follow any unless she has internalized its usefulness.

Many assume she is devoid of emotions, but that is not true. She has a wide array of feelings, but she does not display it in the same manner as everyone else. She can, for example, get sad to the point where she starts crying, but her version of it merely involves tears dripping from her eyes without a single accompanying sob, nor a hint of a grimace. When she needs others to understand her emotional landscape, she has a tendency to tell them loudly, which creates a weird disconnect between what she is saying and what others observe.

BACKGROUND

Chaos child
Source Wastes of Chaos p37

• Personality Traits: I like food that others find disgusting, like picked yak eyes.
  • Ideals: Stoicism. I will not give in to the chaos that infects my body. (Lawful)
  • Bonds: Why was I created? I need to find my purpose.
  • Flaws: I sometimes creep people out by staring at them for too long.

Background Feature: Regardless of where your life has taken you, you still bear traces of your chaotic ancestry in your appearance and mannerisms. For example, you could possess eyes that are mismatched in color or size, strangely rubbery limbs, an odd shuffling gait, extra webbing between your fingers or toes, or even just a chronic twitch. Because others find your appearance strangely unsettling, you have disadvantage on Wisdom (Insight) checks made against you.

Aberrations sense the taint of chaos within you more than other creatures and are less likely to be hostile toward you. You have advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks made when conversing with a neutral or friendly aberration.

BACKSTORY

The automaton that was to be Question woke up from a defect pod; chaos energy had been leaking in. The automaton wandered into undead controlled by the lich Anastasia Erondius and was promptly captured. The lich reforged the atuomaton by harnessing the chaotic energy, reshaping it into a perfected version of herself when she was young and alive. She also accidentally named it Question.

The automaton now designated Question studied and reproduced a cantrip Anastasia often used, and was rewarded with study material to learn on its own. Her highly analytical mind took to the task with ease, and it took her a mere month to cast her first spell.

Question sought answers to all her questions, but some answers eluded her. Who created her? Why was she created? Did she have a designated purpose? Her curiosity made her leave the safety of Anastasia's lair, and almost got her killed in a sandstorm. She returned to learn more. The lich modified her again in an effort to keep her from leaving again, this time gifting her human emotions.

Despite Anastasia's best effort, Question still left the following year. The lich was not happy about this and intended to scare her apprentice into returning. She gave a tip to a tribe of Dust Goblins that promptly captured her. They brought her to Savoyne and sold her to the Oaken Ring who intended to sacrifice her. She barely escaped her fate by pretending to be dead as the druids needed live sacrifices.

She escaped to the Mana Wastes where she met a group of adventurersThis can be changed depending on where she meets the rest of the party.. While their motivations varied greatly, she determined that their help would be crucial in combing the Mana Wastes for secrets. It is her only hope for finding out more about her origins.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Anastasia EronodiusExcerpts from the journal of Anastasia Eronodius, former archwizard of Uxloon

Journal entry 423

Experiment B-12, using rats as carriers for undead fungi failed. The rats succumb far too quickly, making them impractical for spreading the fungi to cities. It was a long shot, anyway. Several other experiments regarding the undead fungi are in progress, but preliminary results suggests that the fungi themselves are too unstable. I may need to enhance their potency, but the problem remains detection. If they are too easy to discern as a potential danger, they will be unable to penetrate deep enough to be useful.

Journal entry 424

My undead servants brought an invited guest before me. An automaton, one of the androgynous creations that sometimes pop up in the wastes. I have not spent much time researching them, as they are negligible threats compared to the magocracies, the monsters and even the dust goblins. There is a possibility that this one is sent by one of the magocracies to gather information or even assassinate me. The automaton has been securely locked up while I determine what to do with it.

Journal entry 425

There is something wrong with the automaton. I have determined that it is tainted with chaos energy, probably during its gestation period. I can't speak for its mind, but the body seems to undergo changes. When I visited it, the skin on its chest had split open, revealing the exposed core in the process of breaking down. I managed to halt the process, and will keep a closer eye on it going forward. I have not disregarded the possibility that it was purposefully set up to explode, maybe as an unwitting assassin.

Journal entry 426

A group of adventurers cost me weeks of work. I tried to eliminate them in the most cost-efficient way possible, and even then a total of 58 class E, 13 class D and even a class C undead were destroyed. In the end, I sent a trio of class B undead to ambush them while they were resting. They weren't even after me, they were just here to 'cleanse the infestation of undead'. What a waste of my time and resources.

Journal entry 427

The automaton continues to mutate. I have stopped a tumor on its shoulder from sucking all the energy from the body. Now it seems like an appendage is growing on its back. I find the challenge of reigning in the chaotic energies to be an amusing distraction from my ongoing experiments, but I would really dispose of it before it becomes a hassle.

Journal entry 428

Experiment E-3 was a partial success. Three of the five giant undead scorpions returned, and two of them brought the requested materials. They bear signs of battle, which makes it a lot harder to determine what happened with the other two. Did they fall in battle, or did their mental acuities deteriorate too soon? I'll need to test the remaining three to find the answer.

Journal entry 429

I have decided to use the automaton to experiment on instead of disposing it. It is a unique opportunity to explore how much I can direct the chaotic energies. If I can control it, it would be a wonderful addition to my minions. I have a brilliant idea in what direction I want to harness the energy: I will reform the body in my image. Well, my image before I became a Lich. If it works, it will be a living testament to my talent.

Journal entry 430

A great success. The automaton is shaped into my old appearance. If I'm honest, it looks better than I ever did. That is, except for the energy vents; I had to create them to balance the internal energy with the ambient levels, to avoid dangerous internal buildup. Its eyes still shed light, but it doesn't matter much.

I made some very interesting observations in the process. The energy was surprisingly easy to direct, and I have a hypothesis why. Unlike most undead, the automaton has a will of its own, and aided directly in the shaping of its body. I have yet to determine exactly why, but an interview might shed light on that. I have determined that it is safe to converse with it, as soon as it wakes up. Considering how extensive the process was, that may take some time. The question is how stable its mind is.

Journal entry 431

The automaton is far from mindless. For every question I pose, it poses three of its own.

I must admit it intrigues me. Unlike some of the other models that I have encountered, this one is almost a blank slate. It is ignorant in almost every single subject, up to and including myself. It is surprisingly refreshing to speak to someone that does not judge me.

Unfortunately, the interview has not given any more clues about the chaos energy.

Journal entry 432

I have inadvertently named the automaton. After at least 50 questions, I told it that it was one big question, and now it insists its designation is Question. Oh well.

On a related topic: I have limited the number of questions I will answer to ten per day. Hopefully that will avoid all the small, stupid ones.

Journal entry 433

After applying safety spells, I have decided to let Question out of confinement. It is impossible not to think of Question as a 'she' now because of the appearance. I have let her stay in the old guest quarter and instructed it where it may go. So far she has only followed me, quietly observing after it ran out of questions. It's responds to everything I say, but the staring is a little uncomfortable. I don't want to waste time teaching her manners, so I'll have to dig out a book on the subject somewhere.

Journal entry 434

Experiment A-92 succeeded, unsurprisingly. I had calculated everything to perfection, but it is useful to get a confirmation that I hadn't made any mistake.

Journal entry 435

I am humbled. Question was, as far as I was concerned, merely a pleasant distraction. I had not expected her to impress me. That is, she successfully recreated my Mage Hand spell. I am not sure how many times she has seen me perform it, but it is still impressive to copy it with no instructions. Now she is figuring out to change the parameters.

I don't have time to teach a full-time apprentice, but if she is that quick of a learner I don't have to. I can just give her some books on the applicable subjects and have her figure it out on her own.

Journal entry 447

I must admit I am disappointed. I had expected Question to focus on necromancy like myself, after she has spent so much time observing me. Instead she decides that divination will be more useful to discern her origins. The worst part is that I can't even fault her for her choice. It is completely rational. At least she doesn't shy away from necromancy, viewing it as a useful tool.

Journal entry 448

What Question said yesterday bothered me more than I thought. Necromancy is merely a useful tool. It is the most useful tool in my arsenal, but it's not the best solution to all problems. I have been blind to the other tools at my disposal. Undead have several glaring weaknesses, and rather than trying to work my way around all of them, I should look for other tools. The various spell schools. Golemancy. The void. Chaos. Other sources of power.

Journal entry 489

Question has asked me if she can leave to look for her origins. I can see how much it bothers her. She can't see how much it bothers me that she wants to leave. I have grown used to her, and she has been of genuine help in some of the experiments. She is clueless about the world outside. The moment she walks into the wastes, she's most likely dead.

On the other hand, I can't keep her here forever. That is exactly what they tried to do to me. At least I can prepare her for the challenge ahead. I have given her permission to leave after one year, and provided she succeeds on a test of her skills.

Journal entry 531

Question left. I have not been able to do any work. I miss being able to drink alcohol. It is strange to realize I still have feelings. Or rather, that my feelings still can overpower my rational mind.

Journal entry 535

Question returned! I had not expected to see her alive again. It is very fortunate that I coded her into my defense matrices, so she could get in again. She is harmed, but nothing permanent. A normal human would not have been able to survive being buried in a sandstorm, but her ability to partially shut down kept her safe.

Unfortunately, she seems determined to go out again. I need to stop her, without holding her back against her will.

Journal entry 536

I have an idea how to keep Question back. I've confirmed that her chaotic energies are stable, but still malleable. She will receive a gift; both humanity's blessing and curse: Feelings. I am afraid of the consequences if this fails, but the worst that can happen is that I lose her, and the same will happen if I let her leave again. It was a freak accident that she survived the first time.

Journal entry 537

It worked. Question now has the full range of human emotions. I feel a bit bad, though, as she immediately spent the next hour crying. I didn't even know automatons were made with tear ducts. There is nothing to do but wait until she has her feelings under control.

Journal entry 538

She loves me. Question said so herself. She told me I'm her mother.

It is touching, but also concerning.

Journal entry 555

She intends to leave me again. Despite everything I've done for her. I don't fault her for it; it is admirable that she wishes to find her purpose. But that does not mean I have to agree with it. I'll have to come up with a plan.

Journal entry 556

The farewell was painful, but manageable. She will be back. I've tipped a group of Dust Goblins about her. They will sell her to druids belonging to Blood Mother Margase. I will ensure that she is saved at the last moment, late enough to get her really scared. Then she'll come back running to me.

I've prepared everything, including my old scrying equipment. Time to watch the show.

Journal entry 557

She made it out on her own! That was most fortunate. I had severely underestimated how vigilant the druids were against undead. They ambushed my infiltration force, eliminating most of them. If Question had not gotten out on her own, I would have had to resort to very drastic measures, and I am not ready for an open conflict with the entire Duchy yet.

Journal entry 558 

She's gone! I can't find her. The last trace of her was of her entering a Mana Storm, and I haven't been able to establish contact with her since. Is she on her way back to me? Is she headed somewhere else? I need to find out.

My undead are practically useless for this purpose. The golems aren't anything better. And the constructs are nowhere near ready.

Question has unintentionally taught me another lesson. I need other sources of information. Agents that will do my bidding. I have to take into account that they can be a security risk, so what I really need is an alias. A way to come in contact with people without revealing who I really am.

As helpful as that may be, it will not help me find Question right now.

Journal entry 561

I found her! She's safe, thankfully. But there's a complication. She seems to willingly have joined a group of adventurers. I can see her rationale, but it makes retrieving her a bit harder. I will need to aggressively silence her companions to get her back, and that may upset her.

Perhaps it is better to leave her with the adventurers for now. With a bit of luck, she will run into a significant challenge and give up her endeavor. And if not, perhaps I can tilt the odds a bit in my favor...

Posted (edited)
Question

Portrait of Question, Automaton DivinerAutomaton wizard (diviner) 5
image.png.30b924e658ca3da1577a1e996d5a58f6.png

AC: 15 | HP: 32/32 | Initiative: +2 | PPPassive Perception: 10
SSSpell Slots 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell DC: 16
Portent Rolls: - | Accelerated Healing 1/1 | Inspiration: 0/1

Question stared unflinchingly at the dragon. "May I ask you a question?" Calculating escape routes.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Spellbook
Off Hand: -

Proficiencies: Arcana/History/Investigation +7, Nature/Religion +4, Survival +3

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Spells

SPELLS PREPARED

Cantrips: Crushing Curse Crushing Curse
Enchantment cantrip (Void)

You speak a word of Void Speech. Choose a creature you can see within range. If the target can hear you, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d6 psychic damage and be deafened for 1 minute, except that it can still hear Void Speech. A creature deafened in this way can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.

This spell’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).
* |  PummelstonePummelstone
Conjuration cantrip

Components: V, S, M (a pebble)

You cause a fist-sized chunk of stone to appear and hurl itself into the target. Make a ranged spell attack. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

During its next turn when it makes an attack roll or ability check, the target must roll a d4 and subtract the result from the check.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th-level (2d6), 11th-level (3d6), and 17th-level (4d6).
* | Mage HandMage Hand
cantrip conjuration

Target: A point you choose within range
Components:

An invisible spectral, floating hand appears at a point you choose within range. The hand lasts for the duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.

You can use your action to control the hand. You can use the hand to manipulate an object, open an unlocked door or container, stow or retrieve an item from an open container, or pour the contents out of a vial. You can move the hand up to 30 feet each time you use it.
The hand can’t attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.
Minor IllusionMinor Illusion
cantrip illusion

Range: 30 feet
Target: See text
Components: S M (A bit of fleece)

You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.
If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else’s voice, a lion’s roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.

If you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. The image can’t create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it.
If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.

1st level: ShieldShield
1st level abjuration

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell

An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
(R) | Absorb Elements1st-level abjuration

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S

The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.
(R) | Feather FallFeather Fall
1st level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you or a creature within 60 feet of you falls
Target: Up to five falling creatures within range
Components: V M (A small feather or piece of down)

Choose up to five falling creatures within range. A falling creature’s rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round until the spell ends. If the creature lands before the spell ends, it takes no falling damage and can land on its feet, and the spell ends for that creature.
 (R) | Mage ArmorMage Armor
1st level abjuration

Target: A willing creature who isn't wearing armor
Components: V S M (A piece of cured leather)
Duration: 8 hours

You touch a willing creature who isn’t wearing armor, and a protective magical force surrounds it until the spell ends. The target’s base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier. The spell ends if the target dons armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.
 | PendulumPendulum
1st-level enchantment (clockwork)

Components: V, S, M (a small pendulum or metronome made of brass and rosewood worth 10 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You give the touched creature an aspect of regularity in its motions and fortunes. If the target gets a failure on a Wisdom saving throw, then for the duration of the spell it doesn’t make d20 rolls to determine the results of attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. It instead follows the sequence 20, 1, 19, 2, 18, 3, 17, 4, and so on.
* (C)

2nd level: Misty StepMisty Step
2nd level conjuration

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Components: V

Briefly surrounded by silvery mist, you teleport up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see.
(B) | InvisibilityInvisibility
2nd level illusion

Target: A creature you touch
Components: V S M (An eyelash encased in gum arabic)

A creature you touch becomes invisible until the spell ends. Anything the target is wearing or carrying is invisible as long as it is on the target’s person. The spell ends for a target that attacks or casts a spell.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 2nd.
(C) | WebWeb
2nd level conjuration

Target: A point of your choice within range
Components: V S M (A bit of spiderweb)

You conjure a mass of thick, sticky webbing at a point of your choice within range. The webs fill a 20-foot cube from that point for the duration. The webs are difficult terrain and lightly obscure their area.
If the webs aren’t anchored between two solid masses (such as walls or trees) or layered across a floor, wall, or ceiling, the conjured web collapses on itself, and the spell ends at the start of your next turn. Webs layered over a flat surface have a depth of 5 feet.
Each creature that starts its turn in the webs or that enters them during its turn must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is restrained as long as it remains in the webs or until it breaks free.

A creature restrained by the webs can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. If it succeeds, it is no longer restrained.
The webs are flammable. Any 5-foot cube of webs exposed to fire burns away in 1 round, dealing 2d4 fire damage to any creature that starts its turn in the fire.
(C)

3rd level: Summon UndeadSource: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

3rd-level necromancy

Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a gilded skull worth at least 300 gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You call forth an undead spirit. It manifests in an unoccupied space that you can see within range. This corporeal form uses the Undead Spirit stat block. When you cast the spell, choose the creature’s form: Ghostly, Putrid, or Skeletal. The spirit resembles an undead creature with the chosen form, which determines certain traits in its stat block. The creature disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends.

The creature is an ally to you and your companions. In combat, the creature shares your initiative count, but it takes its turn immediately after yours. It obeys your verbal commands (no action required by you). If you don’t issue any, it takes the Dodge action and uses its move to avoid danger.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, use the higher level wherever the spell’s level appears in the stat block.
(C)

RITUALS

1st level: Detect MagicDetect Magic
1st level divination (ritual)

Duration: Concentration, Up to 10 minutes
Classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard

For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.

The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.
 | Comprehend LanguagesComprehend Languages
1 divination

Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Duration: 1 hour

For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text.
This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
 | 
Find FamiliarFind Familiar
1st-level conjuration (ritual)

Casting Time:1 hour
Range:10 feet
Components:V, S, M (10 gp worth of charcoal, incense, and herbs that must be consumed by fire in a brass brazier)
Duration:Instantaneous

You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel.

Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the familiar has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast.

Your familiar acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its own initiative and acts on its own turn. A familiar can’t attack, but it can take other actions as normal.

When the familiar drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. It reappears after you cast this spell again While your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically.

Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar’s eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the familiar has.
 | IdentifyIdentify
1st level divination

Casting Time: 1 minute
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)

You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it.
If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
| Speak with Inanimate ObjectSpeak with Inanimate Object
1st-level divination (ritual)

Duration: 10 minutes

You awaken a spirit that resides inside an inanimate object such as a rock, a sign, or a table, and can ask it up to three yes-or-no questions. The spirit is indifferent toward you unless you have done something to harm or help it. The spirit can give you information about its environment and about things it has observed (with its limited senses), and it can act as a spy for you in certain situations. The spell ends when its duration expires or after you have received answers to three questions.

2nd level: AuguryAugury
2nd level divination (ritual)

Components: V S M (Specially marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens worth at least 25 gp)
Classes: Cleric

By casting gem-inlaid sticks, rolling dragon bones, laying out ornate cards, or employing some other divining tool, you receive an omen from an otherworldly entity about the results of a specific course of action that you plan to take within the next 30 minutes. The DM chooses from the following possible omens.

Weal, for good results
Woe, for bad results
Weal and woe, for both good and bad results
Nothing, for results that aren't especially good or bad
The spell doesn't take into account any possible circumstances that might change the outcome, such as the casting of additional spells or the loss or gain of a companion.

If you cast the spell two or more times before completing your next long rest, there is a cumulative 25 percent chance for each casting after the first that you get a random reading. The DM makes this roll in secret.

3nd level: Tiny HutTiny Hut
3rd level evocation (ritual)

Range: Self (10-foot-radius hemisphere)
Target: A 10-foot-radius around and above you
Components: V S M (A small crystal bead)
Duration: 8 hours

A 10-foot-radius immobile dome of force springs into existence around and above you and remains stationary for the duration. The spell ends if you leave its area.

Nine creatures of Medium size or smaller can fit inside the dome with you. The spell fails if its area includes a larger creature or more than nine creatures. Creatures and objects within the dome when you cast this spell can move through it freely. All other creatures and objects are barred from passing through it. Spells and other magical effects can’t extend through the dome or be cast through it. The atmosphere inside the space is comfortable and dry, regardless of the weather outside.

Until the spell ends, you can command the interior to become dimly lit or dark. The dome is opaque from the outside, of any color you choose, but it is transparent from the inside.

Allies

RAVEN
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.

STR 2 (-4) | DEX 14 (+2) | CON 8 (-1) | INT 2 (-4) | WIS 12 (+1) | CHA 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13

Mimicry. The raven can mimic simple sounds it has heard, such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check.

ACTIONS

Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

UNDEAD SPIRIT
Medium undead

Armor Class 11 + the level of the spell (natural armor)
Hit Points 30 (Ghostly and Putrid only) or 20 (Skeletal only) + 10 for each level of the spell above 3rd
Speed 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (hover) (Ghostly only)

STR 12 (+1) | DEX 16 (+3) | CON 15 (+2) | INT 4 (-3) | WIS 10 (+0) | CHA 9 (-1)

Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages understands the languages you speak
Proficiency Bonus: equals your bonus

Festering Aura (Putrid Only). Any creature, other than you, that starts its turn within 5 feet of the spirit must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be poisoned until the start of its next turn.
Incorporeal Passage (Ghostly Only). The spirit can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. If it ends its turn inside an objects, it is shunted to the nearest unoccupied space and takes 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The spirit makes a number of attacks equal to half this spell’s level (rounded down).
Deathly Touch (Ghostly Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1d8 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage, and the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened of the undead until the end of the target’s next turn.
Grave Bolt (Skeletal Only). Ranged Spell Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 2d4 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage.
Rotting Claw (Putrid Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 + the spell’s level slashing damage. If the target is poisoned, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be paralyzed until the end of its next turn.

Posted (edited)
Near Blood Mother Margase's Ziggurat

Turon.jpg.b907ffc03403a37c69ec055b1f0a4f23.jpg"What's the hold-up?" Turon thundered, "Why are the prisoners not in their cells yet?"

The two junior druids stiffened. The quarrel was momentarily forgotten, as both of them tried to figure out how to get away from this without being assigned any blame.

"Please, sir," one of the prisoners, a middle-aged halfling, called out, "This must be a misunderstanding. We've done nothing wrong."

"Silence, wretched fiend!" the druid barked, "One more word, and I'll rip your tongue out."

The halfling shrank down, afraid to say another word.

"What about you?" Turon turned to the two other druids, "Bugbear got your tongue? Speak, or I'll have you both flayed!"

"It was him..." "She's at fault..." both of them begun at the same time.

"One at a time! You first, Denatra."

Denatra.jpg.40a0de4d526a5051a82d362c2a6bd71c.jpg"Yes, senior. One of the prisoners is dead. Arklen hit her too hard and killed her."

"I did not hit her that hard," he defended himself, "I was merely disciplining her because she refused to follow orders. And then Denatra had her snake bite her, which almost certainly killed her."

"I thought she was faking, and merely tried to get her on her feet again. But she was already dead. My snake can tell; she sensed no life at all. Arklen killed her."

"I barely touched her! It would not have been able to kill her unless she was weak of heart or something!"Arklen.jpg.e58bca3bb5923e361030cd49ea99d846.jpg

"You struck her hard enough to send her flying into a tree!"

"I've punted gnomes harder with no ill effect."

"Shut up, both of you. Are you certain she's dead?"

"She doesn't breathe and has no pulse."

"What are those weird crystals on her chest?"

"I don't know. They were shining until Arklen hit her."

Arklen just grumbled.

"Let me check. Hmm. She's tainted by chaos. It's weak, but noticeable. That's bad. I've seen the dead rise as monsters worse than undead under the effect of chaotic energies. We need to dispose of the body immediately. Arklen, have two of the prisoners carry her and throw her in the pit."

"Can't I just do it myself? She's not that heavy."

"Only if you want Blood Mother Margase to test your purity afterwards."

"Point taken. Okay, you and you. Carry her and follow me."

Later that night, at the bottom of the pit

"Pst! Here!"

Question turned towards the sound. The high-pitched voice was not recognized in her database. The sample size was a bit small, but based on the tone she determined that the speaker was unlikely to be hostile. She kept her defense protocols dormant as she looked for the source of the speaker.

Her eyes caught some movement by a pile of dead bodies. A short figure waved for her. According to Question's previous interaction with intelligent humanoids, it was reasonable to assume that was a sign the speaker wanted her to go closer.

Renka-back.jpg.393aa8476f8f369e51368806da0098de.jpgThe chances of this being a plot to deceive her was fairly low at 12%, so she climbed over the charred bodies to get closer to the person. Her eyes were unable to pick up more the general shape, which hinted of a member of a lineage of limited vertical growth. Her silhouette suggested an a short adult rather than a child.

"Follow me," the figure said.

The individual entered a hole in the wall that Question had previously been unable to detect. It was a better fit for an person of shorter stature such as the unknown person, but not too restrictive. Once inside, Question got a better look at the figure as it closed the entrance. The individual was with 93% certainty a female goblin. There was no a clear match with any of the known goblin subraces in the database.

"You're lucky we noticed you and created a diversion," the goblin said as she led the way through a rough earthen tunnel, "They usually pour in firewater and burn everything. Without our help you'd been toast."

"Statement: Designation 'we' implies more than one individual. Inquiry: Who else is included in the designation 'we'?"

"Wow, you talk strange. My sister and I are the only ones here right now. I'm not telling you any more. You'll have to earn our trust first."

"Statement: Your suspicion is reasonable. Inquiry: Do you wish to activate this unit's conversation protocol?"

"Eh. Sure?"

"Very well. I give you my gratitude for your continued aid in ensuring this unit's survival."

"You're still talking strange, but whatever. Almost there."

The gnome tapped on the wall at the end of the tunnel multiple times. It was with 96% likelihood a code, and Question recorded it for later reference.

Rakz.jpg.fcf303865138e986af0ca48366475b14.jpgAfter about ten seconds, the wall opened, revealing a similar figure.

"A patrol just passed. My raven says everything is clear. Smear this one you."

The second goblin, which Question determined to be first one's sister, handed her a jar. She determined that following their commands would lead to the highest possible chances of survival. Her olfactory senses determined that humans would consider the contents to smell bad. She dutifully smeared it all over her body, earning some strange looks when she also covered her eyes with it.

"You're so weird," the first one muttered.

"Never mind that now," the second one said, "Follow me. Be as silent as possible."

Flanked by the two goblins, Question made her way through a forested area until they reached a building. One of them produced a key, and they were soon inside.

Renka-front.jpg.ea7148906c206c34b689f64f7cdf2f6e.jpg"We need to wait here," the second one explained. "Around dawn, a wagon will come with supplies. We'll hide in it when it heads back to town."

"Time to talk," the first one said, "I'm Renka, and my sister's Rakz. What's your name?"

"Question."

"Okay? Ask away."

"No, this one's designation is Question."

The goblins shared a look which Question was unable to decipher. "Because of course," the one named Renka muttered and put a hand on her forehead. Question recognized the gesture, but had yet to decipher its purpose.

"We'll help you escape, but in return, I want you to tell us everything that happened prior to you ending up in the Pit."

Question obliged, sharing everything she had recorded. After some clarifying instructions, she omitted some information the goblins considered 'irellevant'. They did not consider the chemical composition of the the snake poison crucial information, nor the approximate muscle density of the enemy designated Arklen.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to add my familiar, as well as fill out the spells. I've been a bit swamped this weekend, but I'll come back to it when I can.

Posted (edited)

Question, Automaton wizard (Diviner) 5Question-portrait.png.fbb867d0de6e761212fa1a1aa1434bdf.png

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 18 Wis 10 Cha 10
AC 15 HP 32/32 Init +2 PPPassive Perception 10Question / 13Raven
Spell Attack +8 DC 16 1st 4/4 2nd 3/3 3rd 2/2
Portent - Acc. Healing 1/1 Whisperium 1/1 Inspiration 1/1

Question stared unflinchingly at the dragon. "Inquiry: What is your purpose?" Calculating escape routes.

Mechanics

Main Hand: -
Off Hand: Arcane Grimoire (+1)Source: Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement by a wizard)

While you are holding this spellbook, you can use it as a spellcasting focus for your wizard spells, and you gain a bonus to spell attack rolls and to the saving throw DCs of your wizard spells. The bonus is determined by the cube's rarity.

You can use this as a spellbook. In addition, when you use your Arcane Recovery feature, you can increase the number of spell slot levels you regain by 1.

Proficiencies: Arcana/History/Investigation +7, Nature/Religion +4, Survival +3

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -

Spells

SPELLS PREPARED

Cantrips: Crushing Curse * |  Pummelstone* | Mage HandMinor Illusion

1st level: Shield (R) | Absorb Elements (R) | Feather Fall (R) | Mage Armor | Pendulum* (C)

2nd level: Misty Step (B) | Invisibility (C) | Web (C)

3rd level: Summon Undead (C)

RITUALS

1st level: Detect Magic | Comprehend Languages | Find Familiar | Identify | Speak with Inanimate Object

2nd level: Augury

3nd level: Tiny Hut

Allies

RAVEN
Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.

STR 2 (-4) | DEX 14 (+2) | CON 8 (-1) | INT 2 (-4) | WIS 12 (+1) | CHA 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13

Mimicry. The raven can mimic simple sounds it has heard, such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check.

ACTIONS

Beak. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage.

UNDEAD SPIRIT
Medium undead

Armor Class 11 + the level of the spell (natural armor)
Hit Points 30 (Ghostly and Putrid only) or 20 (Skeletal only) + 10 for each level of the spell above 3rd
Speed 30 ft., fly 40 ft. (hover) (Ghostly only)

STR 12 (+1) | DEX 16 (+3) | CON 15 (+2) | INT 4 (-3) | WIS 10 (+0) | CHA 9 (-1)

Damage Immunities necrotic, poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages understands the languages you speak
Proficiency Bonus: equals your bonus

Festering Aura (Putrid Only). Any creature, other than you, that starts its turn within 5 feet of the spirit must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be poisoned until the start of its next turn.
Incorporeal Passage (Ghostly Only). The spirit can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. If it ends its turn inside an objects, it is shunted to the nearest unoccupied space and takes 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The spirit makes a number of attacks equal to half this spell’s level (rounded down).
Deathly Touch (Ghostly Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 1d8 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage, and the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC or be frightened of the undead until the end of the target’s next turn.
Grave Bolt (Skeletal Only). Ranged Spell Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, range 150 ft., one target. Hit: 2d4 + 3 + the spell’s level necrotic damage.
Rotting Claw (Putrid Only). Melee Weapon Attack: your spell attack modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 + 3 + the spell’s level slashing damage. If the target is poisoned, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC or be paralyzed until the end of its next turn.