Coming to Terms

jrsey

image.png.a171c3c2d8be10131f0d02e2c8ff08d6.pngMarina Trevino

Ghost Whisperer

High Concept: Intuitive Ectomantic Forensic Scientist

Trouble: Door's Always Open

Marina sits off to the side of the door in Hartman's second floor. For the better part of a week, she's traded favors and money to rent out the topmost floor, with explicit instructions to Anthony and Walter not to let anyone enter but Daemon. That is, if he should show up. It's been four weeks since the disastrous meeting at Bram's and Daemon's been ignoring all of her calls and texts.

When she saw the news a couple weeks ago of an explosion and a description of a truck that sounded suspiciously like Daemon's, that was it: she couldn't wait any longer for him to respond. She tried all of his old haunts, including Bram's, but he was nowhere to be found. She texted and called again, probably bordering on psychotic ex-girlfriend status, really. It didn't matter. What matters is that Daemon was safe. What matters is that he knows she's sorry, that she's here for him, that she accepts the full weight of the consequences her actions may bring.

So she sits here, in Hartman's, quietly and hopefully waiting for his arrival. She can't afford to extend the rental much longer and she's traded in all of her favors. But Daemon's worth it. He always has been. And whatever he might decide to do after this conversation, at least she'll have the peace of mind to know that she said all she had to say. The rest is up to him.

She waits in silence.

OOC

@Akwehawk Join me!

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

daemonmcknight256.png.a845d4b6ac4a903aa9e0ec8a50a2b7af.pngDaemon "D" McKnight

High Concept: Independent Shadow Hunter

Trouble: Tethered to an Ancient Ghost

Daemon had parked his new truck down the road and walked the short distance to Hartmans. When he burned his old estate down months ago, he also burned his library, so he's been frequenting Hartmans more than he had been. Until he or his sponsors restock everything, that is.

He walked up to the door and entered. Walter was nearby and he nodded to him in greetings. He crossed the floor and climbs the stairs to the second floor. He needed whatever information he could find on half-demons, so the next time he came across one, he was more prepared. Hopefully he wouldn't again, but never say never.

He entered the room and closed the door and walked over to the section he thought might have what he was looking for. He found a couple possibilities and picked them up, moving to the table near the center of the room.

Edited by Akwehawk (see edit history)

Ghost Whisperer

Marina stays completely still until Daemon enters into the room, obviously distracted by his goal. She then stands and walks over to block the door with her body.

"About freaking time," she says, announcing her presence. She meant for her voice to sound confident, but in reality she sounds tired and somewhat sad. Clearing her throat, she tries to gather herself. "Thought you'd never show up. I may not be as good at this tracking thing as you, but I'm a patient woman."

She watches him carefully, judging his mood. "Why are you ignoring me?"

OOC

TBD

Daemon froze when he heard her voice. He knew this would happen sooner or later. He just would rather it be later. No use lying, he was ignoring her.

Where to start?

"I'm sorry I didn't text you I was okay like I said I would. I was a little busy." It sounded weak, an apology for that wouldn't suffice, he knew, "but I'm fine."

He placed the books on the table, still standing, waiting to see what she would do.

Ghost Whisperer

Marina frowns and takes a few steps towards him, stopping short about 10 feet from him. Her face is pleading, her eyes sad.

"Don't lie to me, Dae. It was on purpose." She takes another step closer, then stops. "I think I know why. I just...I want to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry for slapping you, for the terrible things I said, for what must have felt like kicking you when you were down. I'm sorry for all of it. It's not enough. I know it's not enough. But I need you to know that I am truly, deeply sorry and I wish this could be so much different than it is."

The truth spills forth from her lips, a flood of thoughts and feelings long bottled. "I've been so worried about you. I saw the explosion on the news, the description of a truck like yours...I don't know if it was yours, but it doesn't matter. It's all I can think about these last few weeks. How scared I am for you, how worried I am for you, how much I miss you. Everything's changed and I hate it."

OOC

TBD

Daemon stood motionless. Was it enough? It didn't make him feel any better.

I guess it's a start.

"I wish things had turned out different too, but you already know that." He tried to stay stoic and emotionless, but it wasn't easy. He still hated seeing her sad or upset.

"Truth is it really doesn't matter anymore, does it? You did and said what you did because that's what you were feeling at the time, as did I. Neither of us can take any of it back. If we could, none of this would have happened and I wouldn't have told you anything about how I felt. Would have saved all of us some grief, me especially."

He pulled one of the chairs out and considered sitting, but remained standing.

"If you're looking for forgiveness or me to accept the apology, you're forgiven. I accept your apology." His demeanor wasn't cold or sarcastic, just devoid of emotion. If it made her feel any better he would say it, but it meant nothing to him.

"I'm in a different headspace now. I have some...distractions, and things to do." He didn't want to elaborate.

"I'm good. You don't have to worry about me."

Ghost Whisperer

Marina reads into his words. Distractions. He was always busy with work; there was no shortage of it. That couldn't be it. Women? Something about that hurts her heart. She can't quite put her finger on it, but it stings. Maybe she's just jumping to conclusions. For all she knows, he's just diving deeper into that list. She hazards a few steps closer to him, stopping about five feet away.

"Your forgiveness is nice, but your trust and friendship is what I need. Please, don't lie to me anymore," She takes another step closer. "You're cold right now, emotionless. I know what that means. A shutdown. You're hurt."

She takes yet another step closer, standing about three feet apart. "Daemon, I said what I said because I just saw you falling further into the abyss. I wanted to grab your attention. I wanted to stop you." She takes another step closer. "If you had told me years ago what you felt...maybe there would have been something. But that didn't happen. I thought you were off-limits. I set myself off-limits. And it worked...until it didn't."

She closes the gap between them, mere inches separating them. Marina looks up into his eyes, searching for something. "I won't rub Jason in your face. That must've been hard to see at Bram's and I'm sorry. I'll...I'll temper it. I...I'm so sorry, Daemon."

OOC

TBD

"You never lost my trust or friendship. As I recall I lost yours, or at least your trust."

He watched her step closer. He briefly considered moving the chair between them, but discarded that idea.

"Hurt? Not anymore. I certainly was at one point. I tried to find ways to make it stop, but nothing worked. When the hits keep coming at some point you become angry. So being angry elsewhere is better than being around the source that made you angry. It was better that way, no risk of making it worse."

She stepped closer and he didn't move.

"And if I'm going to make it worse, it's when I'm around, not when I'm not."

I should have moved the chair. What does she do to me? I can't stay mad at her.

"At some point when I came to terms with it all and reconciled it in my head, I was going to talk. I'd just rather do something like that when I wasn't still mad."

Ha paused when she was just inches from him.

"For the record, I was never off limits."

Posted (edited)

Ghost Whisperer

Marina listens her heart hurting with every word.

"You were," she insists. "you never told me anything, Dae. You never even made a move. We just had Wednesday dinners forever. What am I supposed to think?"

She hesitantly takes his hands in hers.

"Dae, I never meant to hurt you, and I'm so sorry. A day hasn't passed that I haven't thought about everything. I didn't mean everything I said. I did what I thought would help you, but it was so harsh."

She releases his hands and lets her own hang by her side, avoiding his eyes. "I messed up. I really messed up. I hurt you more than you needed to be, and I'm so sorry. I can never apologize enough. I know I hurt you so badly and I regret every moment of it."

OOC

TBD

"Well, none of it matters anymore anyway and you don't have to keep apologizing."

He exhaled and stepped back a step or two.

I can't be this close to her. She stirs me all up.

I am still not ready for this.

"You got the result you wanted. Maybe not how you wanted, but it worked out. I got the message."

He turned and grabbed another chair and sat down, still facing her.

((Marina can tell he's wavering))

Posted (edited)

Ghost Whisperer

Marina sets her jaw, but doesn't budge as he moves away from her.

"It does matter. You matter to me, Dae, and I absolutely do need to apologize profusely."

She takes a step away from him, reading that he needs distance.

"I got the result I wanted? I got the message? Daemon, are you serious?" She frowns, her eyes never leaving his. "I never wanted to hurt you, but I did. That haunts me. I feel absolutely terrible. I hurt you so badly." Tears fill her eyes and she sniffles. "I regret that every day."

OOC

TBD

"Please don't. Don't. Just....stop." He looks up, almost pleading.

"Don't apologize. Please. You said it, I accepted it. Things happened, and we can't change any of it. I want to move beyond this. I understand you didn't mean it all, but....all I'm saying is I got it. I got it."

He lay back in the chair, looking exhausted.

"I got it. I hurt you, you hurt me. I feel angry about it all, like you did when I came back. How do we come back from this? I thought I had the answer but I don't know anymore."

He took a deep breath, clearly wrestling with something.

"I do know I can't keep doing this. You know I had to bury six people I would call friends these last couple weeks? It could have been me. You know why it wasn't? I had to think, I didn't have time to dwell on my feelings like I have in the past, or let any empathy for anyone, including you, cloud any judgement. I realized that Gabriel was wrong, you aren't the distraction but my emotions are. My father was able to function with a wife and kids before Gabriel drove them apart."

"What I mean is, I have always thought with my heart in the field. I gave people second chances, sometimes more, trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I killed a bunch of ghouls in my time, but I never hurt anything real until Atanase. It doesn't work like that with me anymore, it wears on you, seeing death all the time. I don't have an off switch for it, so I need to put up a wall and learn to use my head instead of my heart. I need to be unfeeling, and metaphorically distance myself, or it's going to drive me insane."

He looked down, not wanting to meet her eyes.

"I don't want to lose our friendship, I can't lose it, I think that would break me even more, but I need to do this my way. And I need to know that you are there for me when I need it, because I will need it."

He looked up at her, meeting her gaze, tears in his eyes, but a faint smile, "I'll need my one friend that I can count on again that's helped me get this far in life. I know it sounds strange, but you have given me the strength to be the man I am now, despite it all."

He brought his eyes down again, afraid of her reaction, afraid she'll cast him out of her life.

"So, please, don't look for me anymore. I will find you when I'm ready, and I will come back, I promise. It won't be long."

He fidgeted with his hands, still not meeting her eyes, "If you'll still have me."

A tear openly rolled down his cheek but he made no move to stop it.

Edited by Akwehawk (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Ghost Whisperer

A maelstrom of emotion rages within Marina as Daemon speaks: guilt, sorrow, fear, concern, grief, and love all colliding and overlapping in a confused mess. He placed a lot at her feet right now. Which to address first, if at all? What can she even say? Before everything that happened, her reaction would be straightforward: hug, reassure, cheer up, and move on. But it's not that simple anymore. Now they're changed and she has no idea how to handle it.

He'd pulled away when she touched his hands. Would he even want her to hug him? Daemon talked about needing to emotionally shut down. The idea of that is so foreign to Marina. It's terrifying. Empathy is what makes people human. Who will he be if he shuts down? What does their friendship look like, then? He says he needs her, but what does that mean? She's certainly not going to change who she is. It just becomes a matter of whether the new, colder version of Daemon can accept it or not.

Marina walks forward slowly, watching Daemon for any signs that he wants his space. He's avoiding her eyes, but he doesn't move from the chair. She stops beside him and gently wipes the tear from his cheek, cups his cheek in her hand, and tips his head up to look at her. Her eyes glisten with tears, but none have fallen yet.

"I've always got you, Daemon." She leans down and gives him a tight, almost desperate hug. She buries her face into his shoulder and closes her eyes, committing everything about him to memory. Some tears slip free and darken his jacket. "Always."

Something about this feels like goodbye, in a way, and it absolutely terrifies her. There's so much more she wants to say about their friendship, the friends he lost, the risks to his life, what he needs from her as a friend...but all of that can wait for a few more moments. Right now, she just wants him to know she's there for him, always, no matter what. Who knows who he'll be, once that switch is flipped. Will they lose their connection? Will the Daemon she's always known be gone?

Whatever may come, she's here. She'll always be here. Hopefully, he will be, too. Marina adjusts her arms around him to hug him a little tighter.

OOC

TBD

Daemon makes no move as she cups his face in her hands. The moment she says she's always got him and hugs him, he feels a wave of relief. He stands and returns the hug and holds her tight. Tighter than he ever has before.

"This isn't goodbye. Goodbyes are so...final. I just need some time. Time to figure out who I am, who I need to be, and ...not be such a burden to you and Jason."

He will continue to hold her until Marina pulls away.

Ghost Whisperer

Marina shifts the hug as he stands, wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her head against his chest. Daemon's heartbeat is strong. He's never hugged her like this. It's comforting yet heartbreaking at the same time. The end of an era, in some ways. After today, everything will change.

"I understand. But you're not a burden, Daemon. You never have been."

There's no way to know how much time he needs or how he'll be when he finally returns. It's scary. What if he dies? He's already lost friends. He must be doing dangerous things, more than he usually does, anyway. He's capable and smart, but he's still a man. She hugs him tighter and closes her eyes. There's no way he can know if this isn't goodbye. She stays in his arms for another minute. When she finally pulls back, she wipes her cheeks. The tears have stopped, but the evidence remains.

"I want to respect your need for space, but I also need to know you're okay. Can you just text me every now and then, let me know you're okay? I won't reply. I won't call or say anything. I just need to know. Can you do that for me?" She looks at his shirt and jacket: her tears have left some wet spots and a little makeup. So embarrassing. She briefly wonders if her makeup's smeared. She tries to wipe away a smudge of her makeup from his shirt. "Ugh, I made a mess on you. I'm sorry."

OOC

TBD