Coming to Terms

jrsey

image.png.a171c3c2d8be10131f0d02e2c8ff08d6.pngMarina Trevino

Ghost Whisperer

High Concept: Intuitive Ectomantic Forensic Scientist

Trouble: Door's Always Open

"They'd be the people who matter, though. People like you who protect naïve people like me," she says lightly. "The point is to get missing knowledge out there. I seriously doubt I'll ever write anything of my own, but thanks for the vote of confidence."

She searches his face. "I don't want to beat a dead horse, either, but I need you to stop saying it doesn't matter. It does matter. That's why we're here. I'd rather have your honesty than have you hide things from me. Already that's an improvement: you're telling me why you need time and you see that I understand. It doesn't feel like it right now, but this is a good thing." Suddenly her mouth is very dry. She swallows hard.

"I know you think you need to shut off your emotions to do what needs to be done. I can't say I understand that because, well, I feel everything. That's kind of my thing. But your thing...I've never understood it. I've always admired your ability to do the hard things, regardless of how you feel."

Marina begins to fiddle nervously with her nails. "If shutting off is something you feel you need to do, then I support you. I just...I don't know...you've seen some of the people in Bram's, the ones who seem like they've lost a part of their heart and soul from doing what we do. I don't want that for you."

She licks her lips, her teeth tugging on her bottom lip as she shifts in her seat. Her eyes avoid his. "I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I just don't want to lose you. I hope I'm making sense..."

OOC

TBD

daemonmcknight256.png.a845d4b6ac4a903aa9e0ec8a50a2b7af.pngDaemon "D" McKnight

High Concept: Independent Shadow Hunter

Trouble: Tethered to an Ancient Ghost

"You are anything but naive. Don't sell yourself short."

"That's just it. I don't want it, I need it. I'm not talking about being emotionless, I'm just trying to be more practical about everything. I need to find a way to cope, and if that means learning to be more indifferent, then that's what I need to do."

He turns the chair toward her and for the first time in the conversation he moves a little closer, instead of farther away.

"I will still be Daemon to you. I guess what I'm saying is my feelings won't change, but my ability to control it will. Hopefully. That's the intent, anyway."

Edited by Akwehawk (see edit history)

Ghost Whisperer

Marina sighs as he repositions his chair to face her and moves closer. Leaning her elbow on the table, she rests her chin in her hand. "Well, that makes me feel a little better. I expected you to be angry, but I didn't expect the coldness I saw from you earlier. That threw me off a bit." She smiles weakly. "Glad that's not who you're going to be with me. Oh, and you should know I'm, like, the world's worst tracker. I couldn't find you anywhere, so I just sat here and waited for almost week."

She laughs, shaking her head at herself. "Pretty pathetic, huh?"

OOC

TBD

"I was angry, maybe I still am a little. No matter how resolute I think I am, the moment you were standing right in front of me, I cave like a house of cards. Kind of why I stayed away, I think I knew that's what was going to happen. That's way more pathetic then not being able to track someone in a city of millions."

Posted (edited)

Ghost Whisperer

Marina sits up a little straighter. She considers reaching out to take his hand, but holds herself back from doing so. Her features soften, her eyebrows drawing together in sympathy.

"That's not pathetic, Dae. I get it. I can't stay mad at you, either. I understand why you feel like you needed to stay away. It's okay to be angry with me. I deserve that." She playfully points a finger at him. "And don't tell me I don't. I do. And you deserve the chance to work through it without my interference. Just talk to me next time. No more disappearing on me."

Marina rests her elbows on her knees and leans forward, folding her hands together. She bites her lower lip again, then sighs.

"That explosion and the truck on the news last week, that was you, wasn't it? What happened?"

OOC

TBD

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

He stared at her for the longest time, deciding what to say or if to say anything at all.

"It was."

He said that, so might as well tell her.

"Do you remember the fight I had where Gabriel came to you help me in my bus? Well, he didn't finish the job so they sent someone who would. They sent the half-demon."

"I think, he was planning on using a car bomb on our safe house. Near as I can figure, anyway. There was never any supervillain explanation where he told us his evil plan, so that's a best guess. T hit his car with a rocket and we think it set the bomb off, otherwise why would he have that in his car?"

Ghost Whisperer

Marina pales and sits upright slowly. "You had...a rocket?" She starts looking him over for injuries, but doesn't touch him. "Were you hurt?"

OOC

TBD

"I had nothing so we set up an ambush and I drew him into it. T had the rocket. I was fine."

He tried to dismiss it.

"I'm glad he had it. T didn't have to get involved, but he did."

Edited by Akwehawk (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Ghost Whisperer

Marina takes in the mostly-healed cuts on his face. She frowns a little. She has her doubts about his truthfulness, but she says nothing further about it. Instead, her mind turns to an earlier mention that nagged at the back of her mind.

"I'm assuming that was one of the distractions you mentioned. Any others I should know about?"

OOC

TBD

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

"It is."

How much to tell?

"Other than a bunch of funerals I attended, one of the wings in my newly built estate collapsed, I had to get a new truck, and that lycanthrope I fought became an ally, nothing."

He smiled sheepishly.

Daemon didn't want to reveal that Aura was staying at his estate just yet. He'll have to figure out how to breach that subject another time.

Ghost Whisperer

Marina blinks a few times, taking it all in.

"Wow, uh, yeah...that's a lot."

It's painful knowing how much he's going through without her. All the big things she'd usually be there for, he's now going through them without her. This is necessary, though. For growth. For their friendship. For him. At least, that's what she'll tell herself. Whatever he needs, she'll give it.

"If you ever need me, I'm there. No questions asked, no explanation needed. Should I wait to leave until after you have, just in case this thing is following you? Because, you know, mud."

She smiles weakly.

OOC

TBD

"That isn't necessary. It's dead."

He might have forgot to tell her that part.

"I wanted to see what I could find for future reference. If there was anything. Maybe I could have done something different and maybe I wouldn't have had to bury that many."

Ghost Whisperer

Marina's face falls. Everything clicks into place, things she should have pieced together before. She can't fight the urge anymore. She leans forward and draws him into another hug. The idea of him bearing so much pain alone is heartbreaking.

"I'm so sorry, Dae. I might not have been there, but I am now." She hugs him tighter. "I'm so, so sorry."

OOC

TBD

The hug was unexpected. After a moment of hesitation he wrapped his arms around her and hugs her back.

"It's ok. I'm fine. I'll be fine."

He holds her as long as she let's him.

Ghost Whisperer

Marina pulls back a few moments later, shaking her head.

"You know that's your tell, right? That you say you're 'fine' when you're really not."

She leans back in her seat and frowns.

"One day you'll tell me the entire truth. Until then, just share what you're comfortable sharing. Deal?"

OOC

TBD