Return to Serenity

Akwehawk

daemonmcknight256.png.a845d4b6ac4a903aa9e0ec8a50a2b7af.pngDaemon "D" McKnight

High Concept: Independent Shadow Hunter

Trouble: Tethered to an Ancient Ghost

Daemon walked into Bram's and walked to the table he used to share with Marina, pausing briefly. It was unoccupied and he hesitated. So many memories.

He looked around as he pulled one of the chairs, and saw an empty corner table. He slid the chair back to it's original position and walked over the corner.

He slid into the chair that was backed in the corner and sat down to wait.

It has been three months since he last saw Marina and he was a little nervous. A lot had happened since then. He had spent the time clearing his head and trying to 're-invent' himself. He didn't know if it worked, but he felt much better and was more at peace with himself than before. Someone had once told him that when he was forced to make a decision, choose the one that allowed him to sleep at night. He had slept much better in the last few months than he had in years, and there were less nightmares.

He had periodically texted her to let her know he was okay. He had kept his promise this time.

He called her a few days ago and asked if he could see her, and he kept another promise that the last meeting wasn't a goodbye. They settled on this day and time and now he was waiting. He declined the water for now when the waitress came by and asked her to come by when his company came.

image.png.a171c3c2d8be10131f0d02e2c8ff08d6.pngMarina Trevino

Ghost Whisperer

High Concept: Intuitive Ectomantic Forensic Scientist

Trouble: Door's Always Open

Marina steps off the bus and looks towards Bram's. She's been here hundreds of times. It's practically a second home. But tonight feels different. Three months since she last saw Daemon; she wasn't sure what to expect.

She's a little early, so she lights a cigarette and moves to the designated smoking section outside. Nobody else is there, which is perfect. The solitude allows her to gather thee thoughts and prepare herself.

When she walks into Bram's, the place is rather empty. Her eyes immediately settle on their old table, but Daemon isn't there. Her heart drops. Maybe he was late or maybe he texted her asking to reschedule.

As she moves to pull her cell phone from her purse, she sees him in the corner. She smiles slightly and walks to the table. Unlike previous times, she doesn't give him a hug. Instead, she takes a seat opposite him and looks on him with obvious relief.

"Daemon," she whispers, voice somewhat shaky. "I'm so glad you asked to meet. How are you?"

OOC

TBD

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

Daemon watched her walk in and make her way to the table. When she approached he stood and stepped to the side like he had many times before when he arrived first for their business meetings. Only this time there is no hug, something he didn't expect. Had it been so long she no longer wished to do so? Or was it for Daemon's benefit?

She sat down and he sat after her.

"I'm good. Things are better. The estate is finished and the wing that collapsed is rebuilt. I've exhausted the list."

He waved to the waitress to let her know to come by when she was ready.

"I haven't had a hospital stay in quite a while, so there's that." he smiled as he did so.

Ghost Whisperer

Marina notices Daemon's slight surprise when she doesn't give him their customary hug. A pang of guilt strikes her heart.

'It was the right thing to do,' she tells herself.

Thoughts race through her mind as he sits down. How would this go? How was he? Was he different? The same? Would he be cold? Warm? Aloof? Welcoming? What happened in the three months that he was gone? He'd kept his promises and she'd kept hers: he sent semi-regular texts that he was okay and she didn't respond, and now here they are, finally meeting.

As he sits, Marina tries to quiet the kamikaze butterflies in her stomach. It's his words that calm them, though. He doesn't say he's "fine", his life is rebuilt, his list is complete, and his smile is genuine. She relaxes a little. A genuine smile touches her lips.

"Wow, you've been busy."

Before she can continue, the waitress arrives to take their orders. Marina's too nervous to eat, but a drink may help. She orders a red sangria and waits for Daemon to place his order. After the waitress leaves, she returns her attention to Daemon.

"I'm sorry if I'm being weird. I'm so nervous. I didn't know what to expect, but it seems you're doing well." She gives Daemon a small smile; her face relaxes into a look of relief. "I'm so happy to hear that, Dae."

She finally takes her coat and purse off and sets them on the empty chair beside her. She's dressed rather conservatively: a white button-up shirt and maroon knee-length skirt. She'd just come from a job. It was important to look professional, especially since the majority of her work came from word-of-mouth. Under the table, she slips her heels off. There was a lot of walking today. Taking her heels off feels amazing.

Her gaze returns to Daemon. He looks good: largely unscathed but perhaps a few more scars, but he's more relaxed than she remembers. He's always been good at hiding things, though. And even when he hasn't been, she's never pressed the issue. Still, he reached out...

Marina decides to address the question on the forefront of her mind. Tentatively, haltingly, she asks, "Are you still angry with me? Anything I can answer for you?"

OOC

TBD

"It's okay. I'm nervous too. I wasn't sure how I'd feel once I saw you, but it's oddly calming. Like it's supposed to be, I think."

It is good to see her. I've missed her. What's the phrase? Absence makes the heart grow fonder? I'll probably never get over her, but I can't let her know that.

"Angry? No. That all left me the last time we spoke. I don't have it in me to hold a grudge against you. Now regret? Absolutely. There are so many things I'd wished I'd done differently, but I think we covered all that before."

I can't stay mad at her. The moment I see her, I crumble.

"I don't think there's anything you can answer, other than how are you? What have I missed the last three months?"

Ghost Whisperer

Daemon's words give her a measure of peace. She moves the bag and jacket onto the back of the chair between them, then moves over to sit in it. She leans forward, leaving her chair a bit to give him a hug. This close, he looks much the same: same clothes, same scars, even the same haircut. But something is different, although she can't quite put her finger on it.

She squeezes him a little tighter, savoring the moment, then pulls back. She'd like the hug to be longer, but boundaries are important. Still, he chose the perfect word to describe seeing him: calming. She sits back in her chair and smiles warmly at him.

"Well, it's been eventful. Bought a house with Jason, then we got suspended from work. Jason's on paid leave; I'm not. He'll probably be fine, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be fired. I've been leaning into the side gig more to make some money. I'm Cleveland's Kim Russo," she says with a wry chuckle. "There's no shortage of ghosts or people who want my services. I've had to raise my prices. Too much demand, not enough supply."

She sighs and he notices subtle signs of fatigue: her eyes aren't as bright, her tone isn't as chipper, and she seems a little distracted. "It's an honest living, though. I do right by my clients, even if some are more interested in it for the thrill than actually bringing anyone peace. Bachelorette parties are the worst."

She looks around. "By the way, where's Gabe? Is he hiding?"

OOC

TBD

Posted (edited)

Marina leans forward to give him a hug. It catches him a little off-guard as he expected it earlier. Like it was after thought.

He returns the hug, somewhat hoping it isn't a quick one. She let's up and he leans back.

Daemon watches her speak, concern etched on his face. This is not the normally happy Marina he was hoping for. Things happened at work and lack of steady income is always worrying.

He smiled, "I don't know who this Kim Russo is but I bet she can't hold a candle to you."

"I know what you'll say, but hear me out. I have more money than I need, and it just sits in my account collecting interest. Let me give you some, no catch, no nothing, and you don't have to pay any of it back. Consider it compensation for all the problems I caused."

He could tell she wasn't going to accept it, so he continued.

"Look, when I said that I needed my friend when I came back, I wasn't lying. You are the one constant I can count on, and seeing you stressed and exhausted, and worrying about finances is not what I wanted to come back to. If it worries you, it worries me. I don't know what caused all this, but if I have the means to fix it, I will. I know things change, have changed, but I need to have my friend back."

Edited by Akwehawk (see edit history)

Ghost Whisperer

Marina shifts in her seat a little. She knew he'd offer. He's always looked out for her. There may have been a time or two she accepted his help, but she'd always paid him back. Now is different, though. It's not just her, it's Jason, too. This is a "them" problem. Involving Daemon would just make things tense.

"It's not that bad," she says with a dismissive wave of her hand. "I grew up eating ramen and hot dogs, Dae. This is nothing. We're fine, I promise. Besides, it's about time I embraced this gift more. It's like a muscle: the more you work it, the stronger it gets."

She pauses as the drinks are dropped off. She takes a sip of the sangria. It's a bit dry, but it'll do. Marina looks back up at Daemon.

"I'm okay, just a bit tired. Had a particularly draining job today, that's all. I appreciate your offer, truly, but I got this. It changes nothing about us, okay? I'm still here. I've still got you. I'm just a sleepier girl now."

She giggles and takes another sip of her drink.

OOC

TBD

Posted (edited)

He knew she wouldn't accept it. Jason blew it off when he offered it to him months ago.

"The offer will always stand. No questions, no limit. If you ever need it, you have a cushion. You'll never lose your house or go hungry. All you gotta do is ask. I got you too."

He turned the glass in front of him with his hand, but didn't drink from it. He only ordered water because he didnt want to tempt himself. This dinner was too important to him.

He suspected she wasn't telling him the whole truth but he didn't want to pry. If anyone knew anything about secrets it was Daemon, and he could still sense things were off.

He looked at her, still concerned. Fuck it. Something is wrong.

"What's really going on?"

Edited by Akwehawk (see edit history)

Ghost Whisperer

"I know you do, I just..." She sighs and traces a drop of condensation on her glass with her finger. "I've never been good at accepting help. But I'll ask you, if I really do need it. I promise. Thank you, Dae."

She watches him turn the glass. Here it comes. The questions. She should have known. Months may go by, years even, but Daemon knows her too well. There's no point in lying to him, but she can't tell him the full truth. She's mentioned that to nobody.

"I've been told I'm a little too...physically expressive." She focuses again on the condensation on her glass. "I know I'm a touchy-feely person. I always have been. But I've had time to do a lot of thinking and I can see how it may have made things more difficult for you. I'm really sorry. I'm trying to figure out a new way to be, but I just don't know how."

Marina traces the path of another droplet on her glass, still avoiding his eyes. It's a partial truth, at least. She's never been a good liar. But are partial truths technically lies? Her heart says 'yes', but she doesn't want to dredge up the past more than it has been. Not when he's finally here and he seems like he's doing so much better. No, she'll be the friend he needs.

"You said you needed your friend right now. Everything okay? Need some love advice with a new lady friend?" she asks. She meant for it to be a light-hearted question, but it comes across as slightly off.

OOC

TBD

There it is. Jason. It has to be.

"It's Jason." Not a question. Who else could it be?

He nodded.

"Ever since he came in to the picture, I've been a third wheel. If I make you uncomfortable, or just my presence is causing you problems, here or at home, just tell me. In his eyes I'm sure I do."

He continued to turn the glass, his nervousness returning.

"I know, I have said this before, but I really mean it, the last thing I want to do is make things difficult for you."

He stopped fidgeting and looked up at her, accentuating the last statement he just said.

He paused, then continued.

"I wish I could find a way to fix it, but there really is only one way I know how, and no one wants that. Including me."

He meant to imply that he could leave again, but he wasn't sure it came across that way, but left it alone.

He was sure he hadn't mentioned Aura before.

"Lady friend? No, no lady friend. Not anymore. It may sound wierd, but I just needed the stability that came from you. My life is constant turmoil, with no real outlet or meaningful conversation. Just Gabriel. And I would rather not hear any bullshit from him."

Ghost Whisperer

Oh God, this is going off the rails. This is not what she wanted. She's about to respond to his statements about Jason and the dynamic when he says "not anymore". It stops her cold. She wrangles with what to say, what to address first. But her mind keeps circling back to that one answer.

"So you did find someone?" she asks softly.

OOC

TBD

Too late he realized what he said. It was probably better to not tell anybody anything anymore, but Marina is different.

He leaned back in his chair and exhaled. Too late.

"No."

"I mean she found me, but it was never going to work. She was exactly what I didn't need. She was not who I imagined I was looking for and I wasn't all in like I should be."

He doesnt say it but the implication is there.

"Anyway, it didn't last."

Ghost Whisperer

Marina catches the implication, but his admission still stings a little. Still, it's the truth, and she's glad for that. She takes a deep sip of her sangria and places it gingerly back on the table.

"You were never a third wheel to me, Daemon, and I'm sorry I made you feel that way. God, I feel like all I do is apologize." She shakes her head. "I don't want you going anywhere. I need you, Dae, just as much as you need me. I just hope I can stop being such an idiot and making things worse for us."

She leans back in her chair and crosses her legs. He notices she's picking at her fake nails: her favorite nervous tick.

"You did nothing wrong, okay? This was my fault. I own that. Please, don't go anywhere. If Jason wants to be with me, then he has to accept you. That's the deal. I won't budge on that. Cut him some slack, though, I don't make it easy on him."

She reaches over and takes up the sangria. Condensation drips from the glass onto the table and her clothes, but she doesn't seem to notice. She just takes another long sip, then sets it down again.

OOC

TBD

"Please don't apologize. You are not an idiot. You didn't make me feel that way, if anyone did it was Jason, but that made me the odd one out. That's just how it is, I guess."

He did make a promise that he would return and wouldn't leave again.

"Ok, I am not going anywhere."

He mulled that over some. Cut Jason some slack?

"I'll do it for you."