Return to Serenity

Akwehawk

image.png.a171c3c2d8be10131f0d02e2c8ff08d6.pngMarina Trevino

Ghost Whisperer

High Concept: Intuitive Ectomantic Forensic Scientist

Trouble: Door's Always Open

Marina nods her thanks and takes another sip of her sangria. Time for a change of subject. Things got way heavier than she meant. But hey, that's normal for them, right? Never a dull moment.

"So, tell me about your new mansion. Is it pretentious? Lots of gold everywhere? A statue for every item on your list with a plaque describing your heroic deeds?" She quirks an eyebrow and gives him a sly smirk. "Priceless paintings of fat French ladies lounging around eating grapes? I know that's your thing."

OOC

TBD

daemonmcknight256.png.a845d4b6ac4a903aa9e0ec8a50a2b7af.pngDaemon "D" McKnight

High Concept: Independent Shadow Hunter

Trouble: Tethered to an Ancient Ghost

Daemon snickered.

"It's more practical. It has places for interlocking fields of fire and carefully designed kill zones, weapons hidden in every room and a vault that is accessible from multiple locations."

He let it linger a moment, trying to keep her guessing whether he was kidding or not. He wasn't but it was fun.

"One of the 'wings' had to be rebuilt after the fight, but it's done now and that whole section is now a memorial."

He smiled, sheepishly.

"No fat French ladies eating grapes. Sorry."

Ghost Whisperer

Marina is speechless. She didn't know what she expected, but it was definitely not that. She grows a little more serious.

"What fight? What happened?" She doesn't really want to ask the next question, but she has to. "More deaths?"

OOC

TBD

He watched her reaction, and didn't mean to upset her.

"That's where we lured the half-demon. During the fight half of my house collapsed. My estate was designed for that kind of thing, if it ever became necessary."

He took a drink of the water, now warm. He spat it back in the glass and signaled for the waitress for another.

"You didn't know them, but two other hunters I considered close friends did."

Ghost Whisperer

"I'm so sorry," Marina whispers. Well, at least she'd tried to keep it light. "So do you want me to ghostwrite that book on half-demons for you? Might be a good way to honor their sacrifices, too."

OOC

TBD

"It's ok. It happens, like me they accepted the possibility long ago."

He probably shouldn't have said that but it's part of that coping process, she already knew about it.

"Absolutely. There may be some parts we may leave out of it, however."

Ghost Whisperer

Pain flashes across Marina's face at his casual dismissal of his friends' untimely deaths and the acknowledgment of the possibility of his own. She quickly looks away, pretending to be interested in something at the bar.

"What would you need to leave out? Details might be important." She slowly stirs her sangria with her straw, hoping to better incorporate the water from the melting ice.

OOC

TBD

Posted (edited)

He looked down, considering how he should answer it.

"Maybe the part of the girl?" When he said it he winced.

Edited by Akwehawk (see edit history)

Ghost Whisperer

Marina stops stirring her drink when he winces. She watches him for a few moments, then takes a sip of her sangria.

"What happened?"

OOC

TBD

He audibly exhaled. Where to start?

"She was there when it happened, but we can just not write her in."

It was after that bothered him.

"She lost her entire pack, and spiraled downward fast. It didn't help that she knew I was trying to get over you, and then she saw the makeup on my shirt. Long story short she later became suicidal and jumped off the same building I tried to."

Marina can see that there's no emotion when he explains.

"She made me choose. So I let her fall."

Ghost Whisperer

Marina doesn't realize she's not breathing until her lungs start screaming for air. She takes a deep, shaky breath and releases the straw. The cold way he describes this woman's death, the way he skips over the major details that would help this insane situation make sense...it's chilling. She hasn't seen this from him ever. Before he left, he did say that he was going to try and learn to control his emotions and think more with his head than his heart, but this is...this is borderline sociopathic.

Maybe he's trying to soften the blow, skip over the stuff that might make her uncomfortable. Or maybe he's shut down, still working through it. There isn't a world Marina can imagine where she wouldn't stop someone who was about to jump. Then again, she and Daemon are very different people. What he went through and the number of losses he suffered must have impacted him somehow. Apparently, he disconnected. She sighs. No point jumping to conclusions.

"Daemon," she begins carefully, "you realize how insane that sounds, right? There's no way you can condense that whole story down to five sentences. There has to be more to it than that. You wouldn't just let somebody die."

OOC

TBD

Edited by jrsey (see edit history)

He was trying to avoid details to spare her.

"She became increasingly erratic, she wanted to confront you. Not confront,...hurt you. We had just come from a funeral and I stopped her but then she ran off. I found her on the roof of that damned building. It was one of the locations she had mentioned during an argument and when I tried to talk her down, she made me choose."

He licked his lips, they were getting dry and he had more to tell. He picked up the glass of water the waitress dropped off and took a drink, then continued.

"She made me choose between her and you. After she threatened you, why would I choose her? The choice was between someone who couldn't tell the difference between reality and whatever was going on in her mind, or you. No choice at all. I saw her self-destructive tendencies and I thought of all the times you were concerned about me and I realized that must be how I looked to you."

"I didn't think she was actually going to jump, but she just leaned back and let herself fall. I was too far away to stop her even if I wanted to, she wouldn't let me get close. So I didn't try."

I might have tried catching her like Gabriel did for me, but why? She would just try it again some other day. I can't watch her all the time and be under her thumb under the threat of her hurting herself. No one controls me like that.

"I tried to be someone I'm not. I can't be that cold unfeeling bastard that I thought I needed to be. That's not who I am, so it's not who I am going to be."

Ghost Whisperer

Marina listens to every word, completely still. Wrapping her head around the story isn't easy, but she tries her best to assemble the pieces into some kind of coherent picture. There must be things he's still not telling her. There always are. And, honestly, that's not bad. There are things she doesn't want or need to know. She's quiet for a minute while she processes everything, watching his expressions and body language.

The woman he'd been with was a colleague. With the type of work he does, Marina can't imagine the traumas they must have endured, especially when it came to this half-demon. Who wouldn't break when they lost everything? Marina takes a sip from her nearly-empty sangria. Daemon. Daemon didn't break. Strangely enough, it eventually brought him back. Maybe he hadn't lost everything like that woman did. He still had something.

She tears off a piece of napkin and rolls it into a ball between her fingers. What makes some people break, while others can endure? Even enduring, what kind of life is that? Daemon told her months ago that he needed to learn to think with his head instead of his heart, that his emotions were something that were dangerous. Maybe that's it, though: maybe that's why he endures. He feels. He cares. He has to be mentally strong to withstand all of the things he's seen and done.

"I'm glad you decided to stay as you are," she finally says. "When you told me you needed to shut down, I was worried. What you do...it's so easy to lose yourself and your humanity. You're so strong."

Marina drops the small ball of paper onto the table and begins to play with it. One last detail is still nagging at her. "You said she lost her pack. What was she?"

OOC

TBD

Daemon snickered.

"I dont think I've ever been referred to as strong. I was her, remember? Maybe in some ways I still am, but I had you. And Gabriel, oddly enough. She only had me."

Daemon darkened and seemed more solemn.

"She never had a chance."

He looked up at her at the question.

"She was a werewolf. Her entire pack helped and all paid for it."

Ghost Whisperer

Marina frowns.

"Being strong doesn't mean that you're never weak. It means that you have the fortitude and resilience to come back from it. I couldn't give you what you wanted, but you still found a way to make it through. That's strength, Daemon." She begins playing with her nails. "As for your, um, ex...that's surprising. I never figured you for a furry lover." She offers him a weak smile.

OOC

TBD