Hafa

Hafa, Nagai Scout and Recent Jedi Wanabe on a Missionimage.png.8573af579fe6088691cf2bd6b72f90d1.png

Character Capsule

Quote: TBD

Role: scout, close quarters fighter, jedi wanabe

Concepts/Tropes: on a mission, foreigner to the galaxy, code of honor, learning the ways of the force, eopie companion, hiding something

Personality: private but communicative, well-mannered, calming presence, focused but unhurried, disciplined, calculating risk taker

Description Hafa is typical of his species: tallish and slender, he doesn't look like he'd be much of a fighter. The porcelain-white skin and long stringy black hair do little to alter that perception. But for those who have eyes to see, the near-human conveys an uncanny focus, and a confidence that betray's his physically unimpressive appearance. As with many Nagai, there is something beautiful in Hafa's graceful economy of movement, and the arrangement of his facial features. Yet even among the Nagai, Hafa stands out for his easy-going confidence and soulful eyes.

Characterization Notes

1. Foreigner: Educated on Nagi in the Unknown Regions, Hafa has significant gaps in his knowledge about galactic lore. He's made efforts to bring himself up to speed, but he's still got odd gaps here and there.

2. Code of Honor: Hafa lives by a code grounded in the culture of the Nagai nobility, but modified by Hafa's desire to transcend the limitations of his culture.

3. Not a Pet Person, but Bonded to an Eopie: Hafa has never owned a pet. He doesn't particularly like animals. But over the past couple of years on Tatooine, he has formed a strong attachment to his eopie mount. He spoils the beast. And when no one is around, he talks to the eopie as if she were sentient.

Background in Bullets - Public

• Hafa was raised on Nagi in the Unknown Regions.
  • Hafa's family were well-off minor nobles.
  • From an early age, Hafa was raised and groomed to be the Nagai equivalent of a Sector Ranger, a member of an elite force tasked with pursuing criminals deemed too dangerous for local law enforcement. Operating alone or in small crews, they were legally allowed to deputize willing locals, and enjoyed the jurisdictional freedom of crossing planetary and system borders in pursuit of their targets.
  • In his first year as a Nagi Ranger, Hafa left the Unknown Region in pursuit of a particularly dangerous criminal, eventually ending up in Imperial space, crash landing in the badlands of Iridonia. His ship was irreparable. It took him several dangerous months of travel on foot to reach a backwater spaceport.
  • During his travel on Iridonia, Hafa met and befriended Chasa Delfi, a female zabrak force user of the Jansaarai tradition who taught him the ways of the force. They traveled together for several months, and when Hafa reached the spaceport, Chasa persuaded him to accompany her to Luke Skywalkers new academy for Jedi training. [Note: according to wookieepedia, Luke Skywalker visited Iridonia recruiting for his new academy. And many of the Jansaarai (from across the galaxy, not Iridonia specifically) joined the academy to receive Jedi training.]
  • Hafa lived at the Academy for a few weeks, hoping to be accepted as a pupil. Based on some unanticipated force vision (Skywalker's or one of his pupils), Hafa was sent to Tatooine, tasked with finding Ben Kenobi's old digs in the Jundland Waste in search of some previously missed clue that would lead him to more of Kenobi's journals (which might contain lost information about the Force). This mission was offered as a way for Hafa to prove himself: a task he must complete before receiving Jedi training. 
  • Hafa has lived on on Tatooine for nearly two years. In that time, he bought himself an eopie--which he named Sheev--located Kenobi's old residence, cleared out the occupants, took it over, searched and studied the place for the missing clue, and found something he thinks is the clue--which has led him deeper into the Jundland Waste on journeys that amount to treasure hunting.
  • On his most recent treasure hunting journey into the deep Jundland Waste, Hafa got lost in a sandstorm and ran into....

Background - In Private Tags

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)
Name
Ability Scores
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest),6) 1,3,4,2,6,3,6,5,6,5,5,5,6,2,4,5,5,4,6,1,3,6,6,6

Posted (edited)

CHARGEN PLAN

Nagai Ability Scores (unless I decide to roll)

Str 9 Dex 20 Con 14 Int 15 Wis 15 Cha 19

Background (Iridonia Origin): Acrobatics & Survival added to class list, bonus language Zabrak

Level 1 Starting Feat: Weapon Finesse (quick draw or point blank shot or Force of Personality)

Level 1 Soldier

Defenses: Ref +1, Fort +2, Will +0

Skills: Acrobatics +10, Initiative +10, Perception +7, Pilot +10, Survival +7

Feats: Armor Proficiencies (light, medium), Weapon Proficiencies (pistol, rifle, simple)

Talent: Armor Mastery

Level 1 Scout

Defenses: Ref +2, Fort +2, Will +0

New Feat: --

New Talent: Acute Senses

Level 3 Feat: Improved Weapon Finesse

Level 1 Jedi

Defenses: Ref +2, Fort +2, Will +1

New Feats: Force Sensitivity

New Talent: Attune Armor

Attacks: tehk'la blade +8 (2d6+6), sidearm blaster pistol +8 (3d6+1)

Is this the stat block you are going with for the Nagai? I pulled it from the Saga Edition wiki.

• Ability Modifiers: All Nagai receive a +2 bonus to both their Dexterity and Charisma, but suffer a -2 penalty to their Constitution. Nagai are charismatic and agile, but physically frail.
  • Medium Size: As Medium creatures, Nagai have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
  • Speed: Nagai have a base speed of 6 squares.
  • Lightning Reflexes: Nagai are fast on their feet and gain a +2 Species bonus to their Reflex Defense.
  • Soothing Voice: A Nagai may choose to reroll any Persuasion check, but the result of the reroll must be accepted, even if it is worse.
  • Weapon Familiarity: Nagai treat Tehk'la Blades as Simple Weapons (Melee) instead of as Exotic Weapons (Melee).
  • Automatic Languages: All Nagai can speak, read, and write both Basic and Nagaian.

Tehk'la Blade stats, in case they are needed:

If the attack roll made by the wielder of a Tehk'la Blade equals or exceeds both the target's Reflex Defense and Fortitude Defense, the target takes an additional 1d6 points of damage from bleeding at the start of its next turn.

Nagai treat Tehk'la Blades as Simple Weapons (Melee) instead of as Exotic Weapons (Melee).

A Tehk'la Blade requires an Energy Cell to operate.

Weapon Type: Exotic Weapons (Melee)

Size: Tiny

Cost: 8,500

Damage: 2d6

Stun Setting: NO

Weight: 0.5 Kilograms

Type: Slashing and Piercing

Availability: Rare

1 hour ago, Anthr4xus said:

Is this the stat block you are going with for the Nagai? I pulled it from the Saga Edition wiki.

• Ability Modifiers: All Nagai receive a +2 bonus to both their Dexterity and Charisma, but suffer a -2 penalty to their Constitution. Nagai are charismatic and agile, but physically frail.
  • Medium Size: As Medium creatures, Nagai have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
  • Speed: Nagai have a base speed of 6 squares.
  • Lightning Reflexes: Nagai are fast on their feet and gain a +2 Species bonus to their Reflex Defense.
  • Soothing Voice: A Nagai may choose to reroll any Persuasion check, but the result of the reroll must be accepted, even if it is worse.
  • Weapon Familiarity: Nagai treat Tehk'la Blades as Simple Weapons (Melee) instead of as Exotic Weapons (Melee).
  • Automatic Languages: All Nagai can speak, read, and write both Basic and Nagaian.

Yep. I'm still working out the details of the background.

I'm guessing he'll have a level of Jedi when I first introduce him (along with a level of Scout and maybe Soldier), but my current thought is that he's still not been trained by an actual Jedi (so no lightsaber). So he's Force Sensative and has at least one non-Jedi force talent. My thought was to develop him (via level advancement and character development) as a Jedi-like character who fights with a Tehk'la Blade rather than a lightsaber. This particular variation on the character theme would hinge on whether you'd allow the Tehk'la Blade. It's a pricey item. But then, so is a lightsaber, which can be much more game-disrupting (e.g. cutting holes through walls to make your own doors, cutting locking mechanisms off of doors...), which I'm guessing you might allow if I were playing a level 3 Jedi concept.

While his distant background is rich and complex, the more recent background that puts him on Tatooine goes like this.

New to mainstream galactic life, Hafa manifested force powers. He managed to locate Luke Skywalker's school, hoping to get some Jedi training (and why not? all the cool kids are doing it). Based on some unanticipated force vision (Skywalker's or one of his pupils), Hafa was sent to Tatooine, tasked with finding Ben Kenobi's old digs in the Jundland Waste in search of some previously missed clue that would lead him to more of Kenobi's journals (which might contain lost information about the Force). This mission was offered as a way to prove himself: a task he must complete before receiving training. That sounds weird, but it'll make more sense in the context of his long-term history, in which he wasn't such a good guy.

Hafa's been on Tatooine for nearly two years. In that time, he's bought himself an eopie, located Kenobi's old place, cleared out the occupants and took it over, searched and studied the place for this missing clue, and found something he thinks is the clue--which has led him deeper into the Jundland Waste on journeys that amount to treasure hunting.

I'm guessing that he got captured on one of these treasure hunting trips, and that's how he met up with the other PCs. Unless you're willing to just have him run into them without things having gone sideways.

I'd really like Hafa to have an eopie. I like the idea that he has an unnaturally strong attachment to the beast--having lived alone in the Jundland Waste for most of the past two years. If you don't want an eopie in the game, that's OK. But I'd still like him to have one that was maybe stolen--leaving him forlorn and eager to find the mount.

I don't have a problem with the Tehk'la Blade (which is why I went ahead and grabbed the stat block above) or the eopie mount. I'm thinking (depending on when you get him done) that his entry to the game proper may be having gotten lost in a sudden sandstorm as he was exploring/following a lead, and now wandering the Wastes looking for either a familiar landmark to get back to Kenobi's semi-ruined shelter or some other mark of civilization. Most of your money has gone into your blade and the supplies and such that for the most part was left back at the shelter and bribes and the like that you paid out to find the shelter in the first place.

31 minutes ago, Anthr4xus said:

I'm thinking (depending on when you get him done) that...

Still working on the last of my grading. Way behind at this point. I should have it all done tomorrow morning. I should be able to finalize the character (personality, background...) here in the Roster and get the character sheet done by sometimes Saturday--assuming no required (by you) revisions.

Also, it looks like everyone rolled their stats. I always get nervous about rolling stats so I was going for the point buy. But just in case I missed something, do you have one of those rules whereby players can choose one of the other options (point buy or standard array) if their ability score rolls suck so bad that they are worse than the other options (or some other threshold of suckiness)? The MW dice bots are generally good to me, but they sometimes turn on me in spectacular ways when I roll ability scores.

On 5/9/2024 at 5:25 PM, Wizard of the Coat said:

Also, it looks like everyone rolled their stats. I always get nervous about rolling stats so I was going for the point buy. But just in case I missed something, do you have one of those rules whereby players can choose one of the other options (point buy or standard array) if their ability score rolls suck so bad that they are worse than the other options (or some other threshold of suckiness)? The MW dice bots are generally good to me, but they sometimes turn on me in spectacular ways when I roll ability scores.

I decided I'm going to roll ability scores. If I get crapo scores, I'll just play a jawa or something. I'll roll in the OP of this thread.

Posted (edited)

@Anthr4xus So, I've spent the day learning that SWSE RPG does not allow for an effective dex based melee fighter (at levels lower than about 14)--with the exception of Jedi. So I wan't to run some ideas passed you.

Idea #1: I give up on my idea of a knife/finesse fighter and just play a Jedi with a lightsaber.

Idea #2: We we create some feat, talent, or other power that allows a PC to add dex to a melee attack instead of strength. For example...

A. Allow the "Aturu" Jedi Lightsaber form talent to apply to both lightsabers AND light weapons. Using this form with a light weapon would be less powerful than a lightsaber because you would not be able to wield the light weapon two handed for double dex bonus. So the change would still favor the "mainstream" Jedi weapon: lightsaber.

B. Create an "IMPROVED Weapon Finesse" feat that would list the "Weapon Finesse" feat as a prerequisite and would allow a PC to add their dex bonus to their damage roll when wielding a light melee weapon. Because the rules do not allow you to add double your dex to damage when holding a light weapon two handed, this two feat investment would put an 18 dex soldier with a light weapon on par with an 18 strength soldier wielding (and no feat investment) wielding a light weapon, and the soldier would have the advantage of being able to wield a larger (e.g. non-light) melee weapon two handed in order to double his/her strength bonus on the damage.

Honestly, making stuff up means more work for the GM, and it's a big investment for the fighting style concept I wanted to play, so I'm fine just playing a Jedi with a lightsaber. But I'd still like to know if I have options.

@Anthr4xus

Here's my equipment wishlist.

Let me know what works and what doesn't.

Carried/Worn Survival Gear

all-temperature cloak - taken from field kit (below)

camouflage poncho - 125 cr

utility belt (empty) - 55 cr

• short-range comlink - 25 cr (normally switched off to conserve energy cell power)
  • glow rod with empty energy cell - taken from field kit (below)
  • flint and steel fire starter kit - 5 cr
  • personal multitool with empty energy cell - 100 cr
  • recording unit (audo recorder) - 25 cr
  • empty spare power pack - ? (can be recharged with a power recharger)
  • 3 empty spare energy cells - ? (can be recharged with a power recharger)
  • 1 day supply of local rations (see below)
  • buff or neck gaiter - 10 cr (used as a face mask against sun and sandstorms)

condensing canteen with built-in water purification system - taken from field kit (below)

Carried/Worn Combat Gear

Broken Nagai electromesh armor - There are no stats for this armor in Saga. Looking at the Star Wars lore, I've tried my best to generate a game equivalent. Essentially, this armor would use the combat jumpsuit (1500 cr) stats with an Armor Accessory giving it Light Energy Shields (SR 10, 2000 cr). Light Energy Shields are powerful and pricey for a third-level game, so I thought the Shield unit could be broken and require some special replacement part. That way, you could have total control over when the "Light Shield" part of the armor is "awarded" at some higher level of play--if at all.] Ultimately, I just want the guy's armor to be unique and look cool in a way that matches the image I'm using.

Tehk'la Blade (in standard sheath) - 8,500 cr

Sidearm Blaster Pistol - 400 cr

• hip holster - 25 cr
  • standard targeting scope - 100 cr

2 Throwing Knives (in standard boot sheaths) - 75 credits each

snap baton - 100 cr (in utility belt)

Eopie

saddle - 125 cr

saddle bags - 150 cr

• the remains of a Fieldkit (originally 1000 cr, current value is likely less than half of that): standard backpack, sunshield roll
  • food: a five day supply of local (Tatooine) rations (probably more bulky than standard ration packs): bantha jerky, dried chokie...; combined with Hafa's meager successes at hunting and trapping.

synthrope - 20 cr

five torches (yes, like in D&D: a stick with fuel treated material at one end that can be set on fire to provide light in caves and underground caverns)

a sack of dried eopie-poop pies (to burn as fuel)