Edit History

iantruesilver

iantruesilver

Initiatives and Combat Order

Handling combat on PbP platforms has always been a hairy subject.  Some establish a full initiative order and do the awkward dance of waiting until their turn to post, which takes an unhealthy amount of time to process each round, which bogs down the game's pace and sometimes contributes to game death.

So instead of doing that, I've improvised an "I go you go" system that streamlines combat posting, while still preserving the value in initiative rolls. (Edit: I guess people are just calling this block initiative now, and using averages.  I shall adopt this.)

Allow me to demonstrate.

1. Combat is initiated, either by the players or by the GM.  In my post, I call for initiatives to be rolled, and delineate whether there is a surprise round involved, and which PC's are immediately aware and unaware of combat.  Other dice may be required at this time.
    • ie. Noriko and Bianca are inside the common room of the Rusty Dragon as a bar fight is brewing.  Having her fingers on the pulse of her sister's tavern, Noriko is immediately aware of the impending fight (Sense Motive roll: 18); Bianca however has her nose to her books, and is oblivious to her surroundings at large (Perception roll: 6).

2. I compile initiative orders and combat begins with the surprise round on my next post.
    • ie. Bar fight breaks out (Enemy Initiative roll: 7).  Ameiko is not going to be happy.

3. Players involved make an in-character post with their rolled initiative.  Those with immediate awareness may make their surprise round actions in this same post.
    • ie. Noriko rolls 3 for her initiative.  As she is immediately aware, Noriko executes her surprise round actions at this time.

4. Combat continues with an "I go you go" order.  All PC's involved in combat may post at your own convenience.  PCs actions will be resolved collectively at the party's highest initiative value.  Groups of enemies and NPCs will also each operate with single group initiatives.
    • ie. Noriko posts Round 1 actions.  Bianca joins the fight (Initiative roll: 18) and posts her Round 1 actions.  Noriko's actions are now advanced to Group Initiative Block (18+3)/2 = 10.5, just behind Bianca (Individual initiatives will still be a factor for the purposes of my own adjudications).  Ameiko steps in to shut down the bar brawl (Initiative roll: 5), GM posts enemy and NPC actions, and processes results.

5. "I go you go" continues until combat is resolved.
    • ie. PCs post Round 2 actions next (Initiative 18), then GM posts Round 2 (Enemy Initiative 7, Ameiko Initiative 5) and results, Round advances.  Continue ad nauseum.
iantruesilver

iantruesilver

Handling combat on PbP platforms has always been a hairy subject.  Some establish a full initiative order and do the awkward dance of waiting until their turn to post, which takes an unhealthy amount of time to process each round, which bogs down the game's pace and sometimes contributes to game death.

So instead of doing that, I've improvised an "I go you go" system that streamlines combat posting, while still preserving the value in initiative rolls.

Allow me to demonstrate.

1. Combat is initiated, either by the players or by the GM.  In my post, I call for initiatives to be rolled, and delineate whether there is a surprise round involved, and which PC's are immediately aware and unaware of combat.  Other dice may be required at this time.
    • ie. Noriko and Bianca are inside the common room of the Rusty Dragon as a bar fight is brewing.  Having her fingers on the pulse of her sister's tavern, Noriko is immediately aware of the impending fight (Sense Motive roll: 18); Bianca however has her nose to her books, and is oblivious to her surroundings at large (Perception roll: 6).

2. I compile initiative orders and combat begins with the surprise round on my next post.
    • ie. Bar fight breaks out (Enemy Initiative roll: 17).  Ameiko is not going to be happy.

3. Players involved make an in-character post with their rolled initiative.  Those with immediate awareness may make their surprise round actions in this same post.
    • ie. Noriko rolls 3 for her initiative.  As she is immediately aware, Noriko executes her surprise round actions at this time.

4. Combat continues with an "I go you go" order.  All PC's involved in combat may post at your own convenience.  PCs actions will be resolved collectively at the party's highest initiative value.  Groups of enemies and NPCs will also each operate with single group initiatives.
    • ie. Noriko posts Round 1 actions.  Bianca joins the fight (Initiative roll: 18) and posts her Round 1 actions.  Noriko's actions are now advanced to Initiative 18 just behind Bianca.  Ameiko steps in to shut down the bar brawl (Initiative roll: 15), GM posts enemy and NPC actions, and processes results.

• ie. PCs post Round 2 actions next (Initiative 18), then GM posts Round 2 (Enemy Initiative 17, Ameiko Initiative 15) and results, Round advances.  Continue ad nauseum.
iantruesilver

iantruesilver

So instead of doing that, I've improvised an "I go you go" system that streamlines combat posting, while still preserving the value in initiative rolls.

Allow me to demonstrate.

• ie. Bar fight breaks out (Enemy Initiative roll: 17).  Ameiko is not going to be happy.

4. Combat continues with an "I go you go" order.  All PC's involved in combat may post at your own convenience.  PCs actions will be resolved collectively at the party's highest initiative value.  Groups of enemies and NPCs will also operate with single group initiatives.
    • ie. Noriko posts Round 1 actions.  Bianca joins the fight (Initiative roll: 18) and posts her Round 1 actions.  Noriko's actions are now advanced to Initiative 18 just behind Bianca.  Ameiko steps in to shut down the bar brawl (Initiative roll: 15), GM posts enemy and NPC actions, and processes results.

• ie. PCs post Round 2 actions next (Initiative 18), then GM posts Round 2 (Enemy Initiative 17, Ameiko Initiative 15) and results, Round advances.  Continue ad nauseum.
iantruesilver

iantruesilver

Allow me to demonstrate.

4. Combat continues with an "I go you go" order.  All PC's involved in combat may post at your own convenience.  PCs actions will be resolved collectively at the party's highest initiative value.  Enemies and NPCs will also operate with single group initiatives.