Dhampir

Class
Sorcerer

Background
Consorting with Dark Powers

"I can keep a secret...for the right price."
attachment.php?attachmentid=104568&stc=1&d=1650142918

Interrogation

The room was cold. Stone floor and brick walls, with a simple wooden table and hard bench. A woman with fair complexion and delicate skin sat straight-backed on the bench. Her cuffed hands lay crossed on her lap, her long dark hair a beautiful mess of strands that cascaded past her shoulders.

Rusty hinges announced an arrival behind her. She didn't turn. "Well, well, well. To who do I have the pleasure of chatting with tonight?" The voice was gruff and male.

"To whom." Her voice floated in the stale air.

The man stopped his slow pace, standing beside the table, and glared down at the striking woman. "What?"

"Your question. It is not 'who do I have the pleasure', it is 'to whom do I have the pleasure'. But really, that is just a silly formality, it is not? You have my name already. That, or the record-keeping of the city is in far worse shape than I had imagined, and I can simply be released." Her chocolate eyes finally looked up to her interrogator.

A malicious curl crested his lips. "Sir Balin said you were a smart one." He placed a file down on the table before taking a seat on the bench opposite her. "Miss Marisol Karasu. One of Talingrad's ladies of the night. A gifted one, from the looks of this record sheet."

"Past allegations should have been removed from my file. Nothing has ever been proven in the court of law. I cannot be held on accusations that have already been deemed false." Marisol maintained an even voice of innocence.

"Oh, my dear, you do know all the fancy words. But," he closed the file, "I'll not be needing your past indiscretions to send you away to Brandescar. Sir Balin is the finest we have, and you would not be sitting in front of me if he didn't have all the proof needed to lock you up this time."

A heat in her chest began to rise. Balin was a known name on the streets, attracting his attention was dangerous. She leaned forward, offering a glance down her shirt to the man. There was only one way Marisol believed could save her now. "I'm certain we can find some way to..." Her shoulders shifted to the side, a curl to her lip, a raise of an eyebrow.

"No ma'am, there is only one way for you now. Brandescar is definitely your destination. The only question is, will you go to the pyre with a free conscious, admitting your sins, or will you sink to the lowest denomination of scum that resides there?" He eyed the seductress, waiting for her to confess her crimes, but it was clear the woman would not speak. "Alright Miss Karasu, I'm going to read your crimes to you, so you fully understand the charges. Then I will need you to sign on the bottom accepting this written statement as your confession."

"I want to see my lawyer." It was not a plea, hoping for some miracle, Marisol made the request knowing she was entitled to it. But the officer chuckled in response. It was laced with a confidence she hadn't expected and sent a sickening rock into the pit of her stomach. She was in trouble.

"Oh honey, you won't be needing a lawyer. You won't be going before a judge this time." He snapped the parchment before him, as though it were a royal proclamation. "To all concerned, the below recounts the offenses witnessed on the night of the 14th of Gozran." He eyed her, expecting some reaction, but none came. "Mister Keelan MacHale was found outside the premise of Miss Marisol Karasu's tea house. His eyes were bloodshot and his skin was pallid. His walk was erratic, which drew the attention of a Miss Grace Hynes. Miss Hynes approached Mister MacHale, offering aid. Mister MacHale fell to his knees and began begging for protection from Miss Karasu, claiming she had summoned dark beings which forced him to pay for sexual services rendered by three of her employees. Mister MacHale also claimed that, under the control of Miss Karasu, the darkness extracted family secrets from him, he was unable to refuse any command she gave."

Marisol crossed her arms in defiance. "Good sir, I am sure you can even tell that those are allegations, nothing written there proves anything. You cannot send me to Brandescar with solely that statement of lies."

He cleared his throat and continued reading. "To all concerned, the below recounts the testimony of Priestess Stella Thuesen. On the morning of the 15th of Gozran, I performed a Truth spell on both Mister Keelan MacHale and Miss Grace Hynes. Both were willing participants. Their recount of the evening prior is accurately presented in the above statement." He smirked at her. "What do you have to say now?"

She took a slow breath in. MacHale was commissioner for the city. Her girls had been working to gather information on who the latest secret contracts had been awarded, so the syndicate would know who to charge the highest fees. Marisol hadn't used magic that night, though he clearly had convinced himself she had. He was the least of her concerns though, Hynes was a problem. She was a nosy neighbor. If the cleric had used a truth spell on her, there was a lot more they may have.

"Ah, and perhaps this extra detail would be helpful for you to know." The man's voice cut through her calculating mind. "The Midnight Council has been disassembled, Sir Balin has been quite efficient. They won't be coming to save you from crime of witchcraft. In fact, some of your colleagues are already on their way to Brandescar." For the first time since he had walked in the room, the interrogator's eyes softened. "You are smart, ma'am, and you have a gift with people. But you will not survive the harshest conditions of that prison. Sign this statement to give yourself the best chance to have peace before you burn."

He was right. She hated it, but he was right. Her long delicate fingers toyed with the edge of the paper before pulling it towards herself.

I, hereby, attest that the above is the truth, as I understand it. I admit to the crimes, accepting the punishment of death by burning. By Mitra's hand, I hope to rid my evil soul of its devious intentions and repent for all the harm I have done.

Marisol tasted the bile that rose from her stomach, but even her cunning mind could not see a way out of this. The man handed her the quill to sign her life away.

Description

"This will not do." A pale hand extended out to a dark-haired girl, passing back the snow-colored silken wrap. Her garnet-tinted lips frowned as she looked in the mirror. Marisol's naked form reflected back at herself. She needed to make a statement for the meeting this afternoon.

Turning to the side, the ageless woman studied her slender form, her cascading auburn hair. She was short but stood tall with 6" blood-red stilettos on. The peep-toe teased perfectly manicured feet. "Hm. Priscilla, please gather the black one, with the embroidered flowers up the bodice." Marisol's mahogany gaze regarded her own form while she waited for the young girl to return. She continued to turn, her head twisting to watch as the candlelight caught the curves of her hips, her lower back, and down to her thighs. Her milky white flesh was as smooth as porcelain, not a mar to be seen. Forty years of life had taught her much, self-care was paramount.

Finally, the proprietor of Crimson and Ebony turned to face herself fully again, just as Priscilla returned with the dress requested. Carefully, Marisol stepped one stilettoed foot through the base of the dress, then brought the other one to follow. Slowly, the onyx fabric slid over her pallid flesh, hugging each curve, packaging her shape for display, yet hiding the alluring pillows of cleavage as the neckline climbed toward her jaw. Scarlet petals and emerald ivies were embroidered in waves around the mermaid flared skirt base, and wove into a single line that traced the circumference of her, until it found the ample contour of her bosom.

"Yes. This is perfect." Marisol bowed her neck and shoulders to the girl in appreciation. "I hope you understand how different conversations have different requirements." She looked back at herself, admiring her own reflection. "An important lesson. Now, go prepare the meeting room and the tea. He'll be here soon." Her hands smoothed over her hips as a self-satisfied smile crested her lips.

Character Questions

1. What do you think of the others in the group?

"Marion...I mean to say, Rufus. Rufus is an impressive muscle of a man. My girls enjoy his company, and I enjoy the tasks he's accomplished for me. His limited intellect is both a boon and a burden."

"Mister Grimjaw is ..."

"Agarher's emotions are a rollercoaster that can be exhausting, but his words weave a magic that even I find impressive. A few of his paintings hang on the walls of Crimson and Ebony."

2. What is your role in a group?

"These boys would be lost without me. If you handed them a book, there is no guarantee they would even know how to open it. I provide guidance for them, nudge them in the right direction, lest they get lost."

3. How are you not as you seem? (surprising skills and/or personality traits)

"Well, my heritage is kept a secret. Certainly, the boys are clueless to my true nature. Not that I'm sure they would understand if I attempted to explain it to them."

4. What are your goals, conscious and, perhaps, subconscious?

"To rule, without ruling. To have all the control without the mantle of a title. I want to pull the strings of a nation and be richly rewarded for it. I wish to be honored, adored, and served as a goddess."

5. How easily do you love? Have you been in love?

"I fell in love once. Then it was easy and wonderful. But Leonardo broke my heart. I made the mistake of telling him the truth of my family. He rewarded my openness...well, he didn't reward it at all. And in return, for breaking my heart, I sucked the life from his.

I have never loved since, nor do I plan to."

6. Are you racist at all, either now or in the past?

"What a ridiculous concept, racism. Individuals are simply a tool. Dismissing a tool for its shape or color would limit my own options."

7. All people believe something that is not true, both about the world around them and about themselves. What lies/untruths do you believe about yourself and the world around you?

"Telling a truth from a lie is tricky business. If you believe it, it is your truth. Much like that imbecile of a commissioner who believed I had used magic to loosen his wallet and lips."

8. How are you about material possessions?

"I expect the finest quality, love the feel of luxurious fabrics, the scent of expensive perfumes...but none of these hold sentimental value. Should they be lost, I will acquire new ones. Preferably at another's expense."

9. What do you perceive your major problems to be?

"Currently, it is my appointment with the pyre. As much as I have an affinity for flames, I prefer them to be a bit less fatal...for myself, at least."

10. What do you perceive the solutions to those problems to be?

"An escape, ideally. But if that is not a readily option, then to find a protector within the prison system who may indefinitely delay my previously mentioned appointment."

11. What are your religious beliefs?

"There is an order to all things. And that order is determined by clear negotiations which established agreed-upon outcomes. Asmodeus, the Prince of Law, hold court over these contracts. His word is judgment, and his judgment is law, beyond what the courts of mortals state."

12. What do you fear?

"Becoming old and forgettable."

13. How much of a temper do you have? What sorts of things set you off?
14. Write five things essential to your background including previous adventures and events.
15. List your goals and things you want to see happen to yourself.
16. List two secrets you have. (what things doesn't your character know?)
17. List three people that are tied to you through blood, romance or honor. Remember to include positive and negative reflections.

People/Places of Importance

Crimson and Ebony: Marisol's tea house business front
•Midnight Council: Syndicate that she worked with
•Renwick: Vampiric father
•Hata Sadako: Human mother
•Leonardo Razza: First lover who tried to kill her when he discovered her true nature. She killed him.

Marisol Karasu The Sparrow of Crimson and Ebonyspacer.png

Text goes here.

"Speech goes here."

Thoughts go here.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Your action goes here.
Bonus Action: Your bonus action goes here.
Move: Your movement goes here.
Manipulate: Your one free object interaction goes here.

Character Sheet

Marisol Karasu
Dhampir Hungering Sorceress 1

Str 8 (-1) Dex 9(-1) Con 10 (+0) Int 14 (+2) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 20 (+5)
HP 6/6 HD 1d6 AC 9 (none) Speed 30 ft.

Passive Perception 13  Initiative -1

Senses Darkvision 60ft

Villain Points 1
Languages Common, Dwarf & Infernal
Background Consorting with Dark Powers

You gain proficiency in Arcana. If already proficient then choose another skill of your choice. 

Unarmed +1 attack, 1 bludgeoning damage

Dark Thirst +1 attack, 1 piercing damage + 5 necrotic damage

Proficiency +2 Saving Throws Constitution & Charisma

Skills Arcana, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, Persuasion
Tools Forgery
Weapons Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Armor None

Darkvision

You have darkvision to a range of 60ft

Dark Thirst

You can bite as an unarmed strike against an incapacitated creature or one you have grappled. Your bite deals 1 point of piercing damage, and if the creature has blood and isn’t a construct or undead, you can feed from it as part of the attack. Your feeding deals necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1), and if your target takes damage you regain one spent hit die. You can regain a number of spent hit dice with this trait equal to your Constitution modifier per long rest (minimum of 1).

Predatory Charm

As an action, you can magically beguile the mind of a creature that you can see within 30 feet. For 1 hour, you have advantage on Charisma checks made against the target. If you or any of your allies attack or damage the target, this effect ends. When the effect ends, the target feels repulsed by you and becomes hostile toward you until the next dawn, during which time it becomes immune to this effect. A hostile creature won’t necessarily attack outright, but it won’t deal with you in any way and might actively try to hinder you. You can use this trait once, and regain the ability to do so when you finish a short or long rest.

A creature immune to being charmed is immune to your predatory charm.

Undead Resistance

You have advantage on saving throws against disease, and you have resistance against necrotic damage.

Hungry Eyes

At 1st level, you can sense when a creature is nearing death. You know if a creature you can see that isn’t undead or a construct within 30 feet of you is below half its hit point maximum. Your spell attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover when targeting creatures you sense with this feature. Also..THIS

Thirsty Soul

Beginning at 1st level, when you reduce a hostile creature to 0 hit points, you regain hit points equal to your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1). This feature can restore you to no more than half your hit point maximum.

Spell Casting

An event in your past, or in the life of a parent or ancestor, left an indelible mark on you, infusing you with arcane magic. This font of magic, whatever its origin, fuels your spells. See chapter 10 for the general rules of spellcasting and chapter 11 for the sorcerer spell list.

Cantrips

At 1st level, you know four cantrips of your choice from the sorcerer spell list. You learn an additional sorcerer cantrip of your choice at 4th level and another at 10th level.

Spell Slots

The Sorcerer table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your sorcerer spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these sorcerer spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

For example, if you know the 1st-level spell burning hands and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast burning hands using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher

You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer spell list.

You learn an additional sorcerer spell of your choice at each level except 12th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 19th, and 20th. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 3rd level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the sorcerer spells you know and replace it with another spell from the sorcerer spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability

Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your sorcerer spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to project your will into the world. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a sorcerer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Equipment

General Inventory (0 lbs.)

Item - 0 lbs.

Coin Purse (0 lbs.)
Platinum: 0
Gold: 0
Electrum: 0
Silver: 0
Copper: 0

Encumbrance