Chapter 1: Death House

Gregorotto

Dynaheir-Minscthara.pngDYNAHEIR | HP 18/24 | AC 15 | Initiative +2 | Passive Perception 12 | Rages Remaining 1

Dynaheir tries her best to give Rose a hug, settling for curling an arm around where her shoulders should be. "Be at peace, little one. And thank you. I will remember your words, and your father's. My great-great-great-great uncle sometimes ran away, after all. At least far enough that the kobolds and beholders and other nasties had to chase him if they wanted to shoot him."

When the crypts behind them begin making ominous noises, Dyna gives groaning darkness an annoyed look. "I would prefer to make sure that all butts in need of kicking have had a boot firmly applied to them, but I think we have done enough here for today. I say we leave, wait for a while to see if anything follows, and then go about finding out what happened to Walter. Who I am only now realizing is Valter but with the 'W' said properly. Oh, and lest we forget, we also need to find the master of these lands and punch his teeth out."

VWz6kfK.png

Giselle the Drowned

HP:   7/18  |   AC:   18  |   Init:  +3  |  PP:   11  |  Lay on Hands: 5/10

Spell Slots: ○ ○ (1st)

Features

Divine Sense PHB, pg. 84
As an action, you can detect good and evil. Until the end of your next turn, you can sense anything affected by the hallow spell or know the location of any celestial, fiend, undead within 60 ft. that is not behind total cover. You can use this feature 4 times per long rest. 2/4

Lay on Hands PHB, pg. 84
You have a pool of healing power that can restore 5 HP per long rest. As an action, you can touch a creature to restore any number of HP remaining in the pool, or 5 HP to either cure a disease or neutralize a poison affecting the creature. 7/10

Fighting Style: Defense PHB, pg. 84
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Divine Smite PHB, pg. 85
When you hit with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal 2d8 extra radiant damage to the target plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st (max 5d8) and plus 1d8 against undead or fiends (max 6d8 total).

Traits

Darkvision BR, pg. 39
You can see in darkness (shades of gray) up to 60 ft.

Fey Ancestry BR, pg. 39
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Spells

Prepared Spells: Command, Compelled Duel, Cure Wounds, Wrathful Smite

IC

The children were safe. Their spirits laid to rest. This was the important thing. For all the troubles Giselle had been through, for all the tribulations, it was worth it. Spirits should not be unquiet; a rest for a spirit is necessary. For no growth can occur with undeath around. No sunrise, no change can occur with a changeless immortal. And usually they were in so much pain!

Giselle shook her head, there would be time for such musing later. Now was the time to focus.

"Agreed. I hate to leave something behind that ought to be dealt with, but we are hurt and weary. We need to find someplace safe to rest."

The raven's call haunted her. A part of her soul wanted to follow it; Giselle knew the Raven Queen was not done with her yet. And it would be so easy. Just to lay down her burdens and do whatever someone else wanted. It wouldn't be her fault anymore. It wouldn't be her responsibility. But as much as Giselle wanted the darkness to end, to leave her, she knew it would not happen simply by wishing.

She took a deep breath and nodded to the others. "Let's go."

OOC

Move: None.

Bonus Action: None.

Actions:  None.

Item Interaction:  None.

L0CtieW.pngJoliet

HP:   21/23

AC:   14

Init:  +3

PP:   13

Speed:  30

Ammo:  6/6

Action Surge:  0/1

Second Wind:  1/1

Condition:  Normal

Features

Class Features:  Action SurgeSecond WindFighting Style - Archery

Tools:  Thieves' Tools, Playing Cards

Languages:  Common, Paridon Creole

Weapons & Armors:  All Weapons, All Armors, Shields

Feats:  Gunner

Racial & Background:  Ear to the Ground

IC

"Best we be leavin', yeah?" Joliet agrees. "'sides, anything that lingers here is gonna have a face full of burnin' to contend with." She lights another of her flares as she says this, holding it in one hand and her revolver in the other. She gives Dynaheir to sign to lead on while she puts herself on rear guard with the light of her torch and her weapon trained in the direction of the noises at their heels.

OOC

Move:  n/a

Action:  n/a

AoO: n/a

Action Surge:  n/a

Bonus Action:  n/a

Reaction:  n/a

There is but one recourse: escape Death House.

Going back through the doors with relative ease, the five, free of ghosts, hear the noises of moaning, something shuffling behind them: growls, wet and sticky, echoing off the rumbling walls. A skeletal gaunt face, skin barely attached, peers around the corner as Dynaheir, Joliet, and Giselle make their declarations to leave. Shazzar agrees, and they head up the spiraling staircase, taking them up and up and up until they reach the attic, where Durst House has transformed into something else. The windows are now blocked up, bricked up as if they had always been so, and just as with the crypts, the doors have been replaced with scythes. Shazzar steps up, studying the blade, and tells them immediately when to go: Shazzar, Joliet, and Giselle make it with ease, while Sulimann and Dynaheir both get cut, their tunics ruined in the back. Out of the room with covered furniture they go, then past the door to the stairs: the second door catches Sulimann in the calf, not enough to bring him down, bull that he is. It also catches Shazzar, losing a significant portion of his robes and a lot of blood. Giselle and Sulimann keep their healing in reserve, but they're not going to make it if it keeps going like this.spacer.png

Down the stairs and they have two choices through the secret door on the third floor: left, into the secondary bedroom with the baby's bed, or right into the stairwell. Wisely they go right, everyone but Joliet making it through easily: she gets a nasty wound on her left ribs, largely because of her duster of a cloak getting caught, ripped right down the middle. Down, down, down they go, three flights of stairs with every door on every landing replaced with pendulum-like scythes that come and go as they get closer. But they do not enter any of the rooms: whatever their dust-filled contents, they will never know. Now, statues and suits of armor are rusted, decayed, rattling in the house as it seems to turn to dust. They arrive on the first floor, and only two doors and the iron gates stand between them and escape. Sulimann, sensing how poorly they are doing, prays to his goddess and gives Giselle some guidance, for her healing is what will get them through it, Sulimann's being so close to running out.

The penultimate door hits each that tries it: Shazzar first, then Sulimann, Joliet, and Dynaheir. Blood goes everywhere, ribs broken, pain aplenty. Taking a breath and praying to the Morninglord for guidance herself, Giselle leaps: and manages to get through the next to last trap, laying her hands on each and every one of her companions, bringing them back enough to save them from death's door. With Altair's corpse in tow, they chunk it through, and prepare for the final door. Giselle and Sulimann make it through the final door, and as Joliet, Shazzar, and Dyanheir try, each lands in Giselle's arms, her dawn-like embrace healing them from the final wounds.

Sulimann pushes past the iron gates, and they are free: they have escaped Durst House, put the two children to eternal rest, and escaped, though none for the better. Their wounds may heal, if treated... but Altair is still very much dead.

The ground is moist and the air smells of damp petrichor as they leave Durst House, which behind them does not seem so grand now: now, it is a decrepit house, a ruin of splendor long lost to decadence. Only ghosts remain now: one that Giselle and Joliet are sure they spy in the upper-most window, the spectral image of Gustav and Elisabeth Durst, staring down at those who took what they most hold dear from them. Contempt, rage, smoldering wrath fills their dead eyes, but they fade from sight.

It is morning. The sun is hidden behind damp, dark clouds, ready to burst once more. Wolves howl in the forests to the west and north, almost traveling, sending a message.

But they are alive, in the land of Barovia.

"M'lord," came the voice, fluid and accented, unlike any in the County of Barovia save the rest of his kin, and how few there still were.

Beneath them, as morning began to ring out, the forest filled with howling: a message.

"They survived," came the voice from the chair, the library well-furnished and clean, illuminated by a candelabra covered in wax. He stood, placing the book, a volume on the history of a land called Ansalon, marked on a page with a single name as its title: "THE FALL OF LORD SOTH." The man, taller than his already tall companion, strode to the window, no fear of the morning in his motion. Looking down, he beheld Barovia as the chorus of wolves cried out, stopping at the base of Castle Ravenloft. "Not as boring and petulant as I had thought. They went into Durst House and came out... though none the better for it, I would imagine."

"Are we going to continue looking after her, or shift focus on them?"

A small chuckle as the lord continued. "I do not see why we cannot do both, my friend. Our agents are already at work and will know what to be on the lookout for: by evening's fall, we will be prepared. She will be mine, and we will test their mettle."

The shorter man nodded. "Shall I fetch the girl for you, or will you be resting without refreshment this eve?"

He turned on his heel. "She's not ready yet. There's still a fresh spark in her yet we must explore: the last thing I need is a doe-eyed deathling, and I haven't decided if she's going to be a servant or a steak just yet. Check on our dungeons, I'll feed from there. Oh, and Rahadin? Have the servants prepare my carriage. I have business in Barovia this night."

spacer.png