Sheet Folders in Testing ×

Character Creation OOC

Drakeburn

• 1 month later...

Sounds neat. I'm try to have an app in by the weekend.

Just to make sure I understand the concept, the players collaborate to determine the type of lair we'll be exploring, but the characters are going to be in the dark about what they're getting in to? They aren't going to head into a lair with the intention of trying to gain any specific power or loot?

Edited by cbenny (see edit history)

1 hour ago, cbenny said:
Just to make sure I understand the concept, the players collaborate to determine the type of lair we'll be exploring, but the characters are going to be in the dark about what they're getting in to? They aren't going to head into a lair with the intention of trying to gain any specific power or loot?

There's a description within the Freedom City supplement that there's a hobby about exploring secret lairs; the GM pasted a picture from the supplement about it.  I think the GM wants to run a sandboxy game where the characters explore secret lairs.  And he wants us to provide some input about them, but I'm not entirely sure how he wants to do that.

That's why I created a character who has a connection with an existing Freedom City supervillain and wants to loot lairs for profit. 

On 2/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, cbenny said:

Sounds neat. I'm try to have an app in by the weekend.

Pretty much, though the roll of the dice do factor into the type of base you'll be exploring. 😈

Going into lairs to gain powers and loot is what the one-shot revolves around, though I'm not sure if I understood the question.

Edited by Drakeburn (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Drakeburn said:

Pretty much, though the roll of the dice do factor into the type of base you'll be exploring. 😈

Going into lairs to gain powers and loot is what the one-shot revolves around, though I'm not sure if I understood the question.

I was more concerned about how much our characters know about the lair they are about to raid.

For example; Let's say that we the players each put in our two cents, you roll some die, and it turns out that we are going to be exploring the lair of the "Ice Master", a science-based villain with a stereotypical ice lair kept at sub-zero temperature with a bunch of ice/cold themed traps and potential for gadgets/powers that have to do with ice. Does this mean that our characters looked up a bunch of potential lairs and after deliberating the pros and cons of each place they decided to choose this one (allowing themselves to buy some specific cold-weather gear in advance)? Or does it mean that our characters begin to explore a lair at random without having any idea that they were actually entering the lair of the "Ice Master"? 

Keep in mind, each base would normally have 7 elements for the players to research, but for this one-shot I reduced that number to six. That is, six elements to research for one base. These elements are the builder/owner (whether the base's owner built the base themselves or if they had somebody else build it for them), the purpose of the base (the reason the base was created), the inhabitants of the base (like if the base had any or not, if there were henchmen or security personnel, if the inhabitants there are robots or golems, etc), the contents within the base (the stuff that is stored in the base), its defenses, and the history of the base.

Honestly, I would prefer if the party decided to begin to explore the first base they researched because I'm not sure if everyone has the patience to research a bunch of potential lairs to have multiple options to pick from. Though I have no objection against making preparations for the base (though the character creation rules state that the Player Characters have Benefit (Wealth) at the start of the game. I'll probably have a benefactor provide the party with these things upon request).

As per the Base Raiders/Mutants and Masterminds 3e Conversion Guide, you get more accurate information with higher grade successes while you get partially incorrect information from lower grade successes when rolling skill checks against secret Difficulty Classes set by the GM.

I hope that answers your question, and sorry to take so long to reply.

Edit: I was in a bit of a rush writing this post, and now that I've taken the time to reread what I wrote, I realized I may have given a long-winded half-answer. So the party gets a general idea of what to expect of the base (based on their research and the roll of the dice), but you don't actually know about the layout of the base.

Edited by Drakeburn (see edit history)